Spore to be released September 7, 2008

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
After all the rumors that Spore would not be out until 2009, EA today announced that Spore will be released September 7th of this year. (Here's the Flash-based announcement.) The Spore Creature Creator will likely be released in April.

I'm probably the only one here at TE geeked about this, but I though that I'd mention it anyway.

Comments

• AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Superbness :), I was very interested in this when it was first announced but lost track of it as the delays crept in.
    My current late-night-eye-burning-poison is Sins of a Solar Empire until they get UT3 fixed at least.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:
    I'm probably the only one here at TE geeked about this, but I though that I'd mention it anyway.

Seriously? I thought this game had huge appeal for casual and hardcore gamers. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Same here, looked awesome last time I saw it. Only thing turning me off is lack of multiplayer, unless theyve changed that....
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i vaguely remember hearing something about this a while back. Looks neat! Only PC game types I play are Sims and RTS; right up my alley!!!

7 months to go!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Spore is basically a Sims-type RTS on steroids, but there will be a multi-player aspect to it. However, I've heard it not a direct interaction with other players. Instead, you will play (with? against?) creatures created by other players, but automated by the game. Sort of a PvP with automatons. I've already had an opportunity to play with the beta of the Creature Creator and my DogFrog will rule you all!!

2260837381_438047831b.jpg?v=0

Spore article on Wikipedia
    Spore: Hands-on Preview at bit-tech.net

After reading this article, to me Spore is sounding more and more like Viva Piñata.
    More Spore: An interview with Thomas Vu

I've now heard a rumor that the release of Spore Creature Creator's has been pushed from April to July. icon_sad.gif
    Spore Creature Creator has been released! This is the program used to create the creatures in the upcoming game Spore. The full version is $10 and the free version has reduced functionality.

http://www.spore.com/
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Waiting for the Wii version over here.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    Speaking of the Wii, buy the Nyko Cord-Free wireless adapter for the Wii Nunchuk while you can. Nintendo is going after Nyko big-time to stop the sale of this product.

NYKO Wireless Nunchuk for Wii at NewEgg
    That would definitely help the problem of the kitten batting at the nunchuk cords during play! Now if only there was a wireless power supply and even better a wireless a/v solution.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Please forgive me, I have not really looked into this game so I may sound like a fool here but... Based on what I've read here it sounds similar to Impossible Creatures.
    I've read that Spore is the updated release of EA's Mail Order Monsters. icon_lol.gif
    im really surprised nobody has chimed in with their thoughts yet

IGN Spore review

these guys didnt seem to think it was "hardcore" enough. But from what I have seen it seems like a really innovative/fun game.

The ONLY thing I have seen negative was the 3 activation limit/DRM issues its having.

heres a google results page on it
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

I can't even think about new games until after my CISSP exam in November. icon_sad.gif
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I've sworn off games for now until I get a few more tests under my built. I have enough distractions as it is.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    I can't even think about new games until after my CISSP exam in November. icon_sad.gif

All work and no play.....;)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Ahriakin wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:

All work and no play.....;)
    I still have occasional romps on TF2 and TQ to, uh, "clear my mind." icon_rolleyes.gif
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm interested but I always have a hard time paying 50+ for brand new games.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Mishra wrote:
    I'm interested but I always have a hard time paying 50+ for brand new games.
    A lot of people are saying that about Spore. $50 is a lot for some people to risk on a new game concept that they may not like. If it's not a hit, there may be a lot of unregistered, discounted copies of Spore on eBay after the holidays.
    I think that's a lot for PC games. I don't have too much problem shelling that out for a console game because I can ebay it for at least half of whatever I paid when I'm done with it. Since I don't have that option with PC games, I only buy games I know I'll get that much value out of (i.e. Diablo 3) or wait a year or two until the game is $20. I can't believe Sony, MS, and Nintendo are seriously considering digital distribution for future consoles. If I can't resell or rent a game, I'm going to be playing a very small fraction of the games that I currently do.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone seen the reviews on Amazon? :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Has anyone seen the reviews on Amazon? :)

im lazy, so linky link? :)

EDIT: HOLY CRAP I didnt realize that many people HATED this game!

Looks like people hate the DRM and haven't really played the game as far as I can tell on the Amazon reviews.
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I hate when people post negative reviews when they haven't even used the product. I saw a monitor once that had one review and it was negative. The reviewer just rambled on about how expensive it was and why anyone would buy it. It was obvious he didn't own one.
    I knew the game had DRM, but nobody knew that it would be causing so many problems. At least this is another black eye for DRM in general.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I bought the game. I had no problem with the DRM and I love the game so far. I'm at creature stage, so I've only gone through cell stage so far. It's a blast, imo. Very different and very cool.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can only install the game 3 times. That is honestly a really wrong thing to try and sell.

I don't really care about DRM but limiting me to only 3 installs is insane.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    you can install it more than three times but you have to call EA to do so, definitely a pain for the consumer

however i bought it have had no issues other than having to update my video driver which was no big deal and am having a blast playing it so far
    hopefully they will roll out a patch that removes the DRM
    WIP: IPS exam