Spore to be released September 7, 2008

13»

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    tiersten wrote:
    Doesn't SecuROM do this for everything? Most of these stupid DRM systems work in a similar way. Nearly all the audio CD ones do the same thing as well.
    Exactly. SecuROM has been around for quite a while and is in several popular games. Unless it has been drastically changed specifically for Spore, it is inactive after program uninstallation--assuming that you have no other software on your computer that also uses it. It may leave some inert information behind in files or the registry, but nothing that is active. The main complaint is that its operation conflicts with other programs/hardware or won't allow the original game to run at all.

For a lawsuit you need to show how damages in terms of money have been sustained, or how some administrative law involving consumer privacy has been violated. SecuROM is complex and buggy, but it has yet to be proven as a violation of anyone's civil liberties.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Steam's system isn't enough, eh? I'm primarily a console gamer, so I haven't spent a great deal of time keeping up with this type of stuff. That's good to know though; thanks for the heads-up.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    I'm primarily a console gamer, so I haven't spent a great deal of time keeping up with this type of stuff.
    The last thing you did on a PC was to apply the NO-CD crack to Diablo 2:LOD, eh? ;)
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dynamik wrote:
    I remember that! That was crazy. Stardock, in turn, could have just as easily provided a torrent to any SecuROM title as well.
    Oops. Got it wrong. StarForce did it. Not SecuROM.
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    So how is the game other than all this nonsense about DRM. I would probably pick it up for xbox and play on live, if it came out for it. Looks kinda wacky.

DRM is what keeps me on linux.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Though the game itself is regarded very highly, any praise it has received has been greatly overshadowed by the public's vexation at the SecuROM copy protection that caps installations at three. In the midst of public complaints, EA later increased the install limit to five.

Rage over 'Spore' DRM turns into class action suit
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Starcraft in Spore: http://kotaku.com/5055113/holy-crap-spore-created-starcraft-amazes-us

Insane! For those who have this, what are the coolest things you've made so far?