Options

My router lab

Comments

• Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    this is the show version from my switch i got today.

Cisco Catalyst 1900/2820 Enterprise Edition Software
    Version V8.01.00
    Copyright (c) Cisco Systems, Inc. 1993-1998
    Switch_A uptime is 0day(s) 00hour(s) 03minute(s) 51second(s)
    cisco Catalyst 1900 (486sxl) processor with 2048K/1024K bytes of memory
    Hardware board revision is 5
    Upgrade Status: No upgrade currently in progress.
    Config File Status: No configuration upload/download is in progress
    27 Fixed Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    Base Ethernet Address: 00-50-BD-78-93-C0
    Switch_A#

What is the standard in switch's? is this decent? can i upgrade this?
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The newer Cisco switches use version 12.x, just like the Cisco routers do. The maximum version for the 1900 series is 9.x, I think.

I have very little experience with switches, and it may be wise to upgrade to 9.x, but I don't think it will make a lot of difference for the commands required to know for the CCNA exam, if any difference at all.

The Standard version can actually be downloaded from the Cisco site, but you have the Enterprise version (which is required for VLANs etc, but you probably knew that already), so make sure you upgrade to a newer version of the Enterprise edition, if you upgrade. Also make sure to check the memory requirements before upgrading.

Upgrading a switch is pretty much as simple as upgrading a router, although care should be taken, and a backup of the current image as well ;)

Here are some docs that might help you further:

icon_arrow.gifwww.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/28201900/index.htm

icon_arrow.gifwww.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/28201900/1928v9x/ee_scg/index.htm

icon_arrow.gifwww.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/28201900/1928v9x/cli/index.htm
  • Options
    so to make a vlan lab, i am probably going to need another switch to do that properly? or can i just use a server?
  • Options
    Lucky me..

Got my first router today, my 2514, and I get to do a password recovery tonight!!!
  • Options
    pandimus wrote:
    so to make a vlan lab, i am probably going to need another switch to do that properly? or can i just use a server?
    You can make VLANs with just one switch... Check out the links on this page.
    Got my first router today, my 2514, and I get to do a password recovery tonight!!!
    Did it work out?
  • Options
    Yeah it worked, Well i changed the password, but it seems to ask me

At any point you may enter a question mark '?' for help.
    Use ctrl-c to abort configuration dialog at any prompt.
    Default settings are in square brackets '[]'.
    Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes]:

everytime i restart it.. No big deal, i am not familiar with the IOS yet, so i think i just dont have it set up.

I am trying to upgrade the memory now, but seems to always stay the same.

I am using this page to help me
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/cis2500/2501/2500ug/maint.htm

It shows a flash card slot next to the simm modules on my particular model 2514, but it seems Mine didnt get one.. You can see the soldier points, but nada...

Anyway, are you sure it's not the simms i want to upgrade? Everytime i restart seems to say

2500 processor with 2048 Kbytes of main memory

No matter what i put in the dimm slot
  • Options
    It shows a flash card slot next to the simm modules on my particular model 2514, but it seems Mine didnt get one.. You can see the soldier points, but nada...
    That's no problem, you got 8 MB flash now which is plenty.
    Anyway, are you sure it's not the simms i want to upgrade?
    I can't remembers saying you should put anything in a dimm slot. icon_confused.gif You need to replace the current DRAM SIMM at the top right as shown in the picture of the 2514 model on the page you linked to above.
    No matter what i put in the dimm slot
    There is no dimm slot in your router... at least there shouldn't be ;)
    At any point you may enter a question mark '?' for help.
    Use ctrl-c to abort configuration dialog at any prompt.
    Default settings are in square brackets '[]'.
    Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes]:

everytime i restart it.. No big deal, i am not familiar with the IOS yet, so i think i just dont have it set up.
    This is normal behaviour when there is no startup configuration. Once you go thru the Setup dialog, and at the end of it choose to save it to NVRAM, or manually save it using the command: copy run start it won't appear the next time you restart.

www.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/basic_router_management.shtml
  • Options
    I can't remembers saying you should put anything in a dimm slot. You need to replace the current DRAM SIMM at the top right as shown in the picture of the 2514 model on the page you linked to above.

This is the module i have replaced with over 6 differnent modules, and i get no change in memory size.
  • Options
    As you found out, not all simms (brands) work.

This is the one I was referring to in the PM:
    icon_arrow.gifwww.anthonypanda.com/product.php?prd_id=21&opt_id=46
    Although it lists 2501-2524, I would contact him to check for the 2514 just in case.
  • Options
    what i did notice was that with some of those modules it would boot, without one it would not boot, and with 2 of them, it did not boot.

very interesting..

thanks for your time...
  • Options
    Your most welcome.

Interesting indeed. I've 'upgraded' the ram in a Cisco 2501 with non-Cisco memory once, those that didn't work didn't let it boot either. I think it was a Compaq simm that worked.
  • Options
    This was stated as is on the auction i got it from..

Perhaps there is a problem with it.
  • Options
    I don't think that is likely since the current SIMM works.
  • Options
    I know i should be studying for 214, but seems this router wont keep the config saved.
  • Options
    What is your current config reg setting?
  • Options
    I was just messing around trying to get a configuration and i set the hostname and ip address, and no shutdown..

Did a write, or copy running-config startup-config

After a bit i lose the config.

Also i noticed no activity on the transiever and it is hooked to a nic in my comp

outer#show config
    Using 356 out of 32762 bytes
    !
    version 11.1
    service udp-small-servers
    service tcp-small-servers
    !
    hostname Router
    !
    !
    !
    interface Ethernet0
    ip address 192.168.11.1 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Ethernet1
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    interface Serial0
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    interface Serial1
    no ip address
    --More--
  • Options
    I was referring to the config-register setting, the last line of the output of the show version command. I noticed in your PM it is 0x2142, which means that after the password recovery, you did not set the value back to its original. Try the following:

Router#conf t
    Router(config)#config-register 0x2102
    CTRL-Z
    router#copy run start
    router#reload
    Also i noticed no activity on the transiever and it is hooked to a nic in my comp
    Are you using a cross-cable?
  • Options
    Are you using a cross-cable?

Uh oh..
  • Options

Works like a champ now.. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    icon_silent.gif

Setting back the config reg value to its factory default as mentioned above, should solve the problem with the config. It is still configured to bypass nvram and load the ROM based image.

Your show version output in your PM shows the version of the ROM based image. What is your IOS version after setting the config-register back to 0x2102 and reloading? (second line of show version output, not bootstrap)
  • Options
    pandimus wrote:

Works like a champ now.. icon_redface.gif

Well, that's one of the things you won't learn from a simulator ;) And now you'll never forget.
  • Options
    I think this is what your looking for

IOS (tm) 3000 Software (IGS-I-L), Version 11.1(14), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
  • Options
    Well, that's one of the things you won't learn from a simulator And now you'll never forget.

So it is safe to assume, i would use a normal patch to run to my WAN port of my switch?
  • Options
    You need an straight-forward to connect the router (ie. eth1) to the switch. [edit: note removed]
  • Options
    What about the importance of cooling? I obviously dont have a rack and the fan on my router is on the bottom. if i set it on a table am i gonna sufficate it?

I cant seem to get a link on the 100mb/b port on my 1924 switch, ive tried both cables and i even looked over the troubleshooting page on cisco's site.

I was finally able to telnet into my router. Now that i can do that i guess i can pull the console cable. Well once lab is all set up.. both routers/switch.
  • Options
    I just changed my port to half duplex on my switch, now the transciever is going nuts, but nada on the LED of the port on the switch.
  • Options
    You could put a couple of whatevers under it to create some space, but if you only use it for a couple of hours in a row there's no reason to worry about cooling. I have mine on a small 'table' in a closet, although I never use them for more than 8 hours in a row:
    www.techexams.net/images/labphoto.jpg

If you want them running 24 hours per day, about an inch space below it will do.
    I cant seem to get a link on the 100mb/b port on my 1924 switch, ive tried both cables and i even looked over the troubleshooting page on cisco's site.
    I think I know where I went wrong... please ignore I mentioned "(one of the Fast Ethernet ports, which support trunking)" in an earlier reply. I've connected only 2 switches to a router, ever, the router was a 2600 with 100BaseTX connections...

Try connecting the router to an 10Mbps port (since the ethernet port on the router is also 10Mbps)
  • Options
    Currently the government pays my electric bill so those badboys are on constantly.. For on demand practice....

I was able to steal some feet from my net gear dsl router (currently residing in the dusty underworld called under my desk).

I hooked it up to a 10 meg port, i get some action.. but cant seem to ping router through it.. oh well we will see later.. NOt too worried currently.. Still got time to work out the little things... Just wanna make sure merchendice works.
  • Options
    I just recieved my 2507..

It's asking for user access verifcation..

Does this mean password reset on this one too?
  • Options
    That means there's a password word configured on the console port. (assuming you are not telnetting into it).
    Does this mean password reset on this one too?
    Yes, similar to what you did to reset the enable password. This time, instead of changing the enable password, type:
    router(config)#line con 0
    router(config-line)#no login
    router(config-line)#no password
    save, reset the config-reg and reload.

Instead of the above, I suggest running thru the Setup dialog, save the resulting config, reset the config-reg and reload.