Options

My router lab

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I usually right-click the external nic's icon and click disable if I want to work with my router lab. But since your lab is permanent, you will need to configure static routes (for the internal network(s)) on the mh-pc, or perhaps use RIP on the multihomed pc.
  • Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    usually right-click the external nic's icon and click disable if I want to work with my router lab. But since your lab is permanent, you will need to configure static routes (for the internal network(s)) on the mh-pc, or perhaps use RIP on the multihomed pc.

Ok, i will wait till saturday to fix this lil doozy.. Sounds like it will take a good portion of the day.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    I probably made it sound more complicated than it is.

When the multi-homed PC uses different subnets, and one nic is used for the Internet connection (connects to the default gateway), and the other nice points to an internal private network, you need to add routes on the PC. Without those routes, the PC will assume that packets meant for the private networks of your cisco routers are to be sent to the default gateway. You will need to use the ROUTE ADD command with the -p switch (preserves the routes even after reboots) to tell the PC that packets for the private networks need to go over the internal nic to the nearest router interface.

ie.
    C:\> route ADD 172.16.10.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 172.16.10.254
    and
    C:\> route ADD 172.12.0.0 MASK 255.255.0.0 172.16.10.254
    and
    C:\> route ADD 192.168.1.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 172.16.10.254

cable/internet--eth0[mh-pc]eth1(172.16.10.1)--eth0(172.16.10.254)[router1]s1(172.12.30.1)--s0(172.12.30.2)[router2]eth0(192.168.1.1)--hosts..

(Don't use these example addresses in your lab as 172.12.0.0 is not a private address range.)

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    So if i am using an

internal address scheme like you have in your technote, and an external using

192.168.0.2 255.255.255.0 Gateway 192.168.0.1

I dont have to redo my subnetting so i have 2 completely different subnets?

I tried

running route add 192.168.11.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.11.1 but get a bad argument on the last parimiter
  • Options
    I should have added a 'File Attachment' option for the forums a long time ago... I will when we moved to a new server.
    I dont have to redo my subnetting so i have 2 completely different subnets?
    Can you provide a network diagram of what you have now? You can send it to me, so I can upload it to the server so it can be included in a post. But you will need a different subnet on both side of a router, and that includes your multi-homed pc.

Note that the route command is different on Windows than it is on Cisco routers. You need to add the word MASK before the actual subnet mask.
  • Options
    Ok, i will go ahead and get that for you tommorow.. (after i test) For now i am gonna cram for a bit.
  • Options
  • Options
    Nevermind.. Couldnt escape my mind so i sent you an email
  • Options
    I've just send you a reply with the url of the image.

Did you retry the route commands with the correct syntax? It should work.
  • Options
    pandimusnetwork.gif

Dsl is just a DSL router.. it actually has no dsl hooked up to it. The internet connection is the sattelite connected to my wifes computer..

Yes i get internet on MH though DSL. It is a netgear router.
  • Options
    Ah I think I understand. You are using the DSL netgear router as a hub/switch right? It isn't actually routing anything, so the multihomed and your wifes pc are on the same subnet.

You don't need to change subnets, try using the following commands on the mh pc:

ROUTE ADD 192.168.11.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.11.1
    ROUTE ADD 192.168.22.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.11.1
    ROUTE ADD 192.168.33.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.11.1

Are you using ICS to share the Internet connection?
  • Options
    Are you using ICS to share the Internet connection?

yes sir..
  • Options
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Johnny.US>route add 192.168.11.0 mask 255.255.255.0 19
    The route addition failed: Either the interface index is wrong or the gateway do
    es not lie on the same network as the interface. Check the IP Address Table for
    the machine.

C:\Documents and Settings\Johnny.US>route add 192.168.22.0 mask 255.255.255.0 19
    The route addition failed: Either the interface index is wrong or the gateway do
    the machine.

C:\Documents and Settings\Johnny.US>route add 192.168.33.0 mask 255.255.255.0 19
    the machine.

C:\Documents and Settings\Johnny.US>
  • Options
    Hmm... So i went double check my nic to ensure everything was set up correctly.. And then i realized. to my stupidity, i had disabled it like you was mentioning earlier.. Rerun those commands..

Seems to work like a champ now..

ONce again my stupidity blunders it up.
  • Options
    And now VNC works.
  • Options
    I'm glad it works. Don't be too hard on yourself. People can learn from their mistakes, but blunders have a more permanent effect ;) Next time it'll be the first thing you automatically check, if a route command is not accepted.

ICS is limited to only the 192.168.0.0 network, which means the internet connection cannot be shared with computers in a different network. But you could VNC from the spare to the MH and surf from there.
  • Options
    I cant even get to the spare without vnc into it.. all it has is power and a patch cable plugged into it. it is just there for the labs..

Thanks for all the trouble shootin help....
  • Options
    You're welcome. I used to have a hardware loopback to get the ethernet interface at the outer end 'up', but now I usually configure loopback addresses on the router, which make the internetworks seem even larger, and allows for more routes.

I just realized this topic has become the longest in the forums so far. icon_cool.gif
    I hope it is useful for others as well, I think it does cause we covered most of the things many people will run into when they setup a home lab.

Here's are a couple of other tips in between:
    - Get to know the show cdp neighbors detail (or i.e.: sh cdp de ne) command as it will prove its usefulness. www.techexams.net/technotes/ccna/intro/cdp.shtml
    - Configure hosts on the routers to avoid having to type the ip address of routers you telnet into. (unless you are running a DNS server)
    - If you're not using a DNS server, use the command:
    no ip domain-lookup in global config mode to stop the router from trying to resolve everything that isn't a valid command to an IP address.
  • Options
    Sweet.. CDP shows my switch.. i havent even configured that yet.. Just had the cable plugged in..
    Cool, i bet this is useful on the test.
  • Options
    I just realized this topic has become the longest in the forums so far.

Dont worry, these guys will keep on with this one till the end of time

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=619
  • Options
    ah well, like I said earlier, Cisco never gets boring ;)
  • Options
    Question regarding the speed of the serial cable. I have been trying to copy the flash from one router to the other one, but seems it keeps timing out.. what could be the problem?

This is what i get..

System flash directory:
    File Length Name/status
    1 5071748 igs-imr-l.111-18
    [5071812 bytes used, 11705404 available, 16777216 total]
    Address or name of remote host [192.168.11.1]?
    Source file name? blaa
    Destination file name [blaa]?
    Accessing file 'blaa' on 192.168.11.1...
    Loading blaa ... [timed out]
    [failed]

RouterB(boot)#

Ive already saved my old flash to a tftp on my computer.. (slooow) 14 mins total. I am wondering if i have to flash it that way. I would prefer to get the experience doing a router to router flash.
  • Options
    Did you configure one as a tftp server?

Click here for a doc that explains exactly what you want to do.
  • Options
    dang your so smart.. I thought it was automatic.
  • Options
    I actually ran into most things you mentioned in this topic myself when I started out with Cisco... But running a TFTP server on a Cisco router by default would not be preferred from a 'secure' point of view (and I think even CompTIA will agree on that one ;))

But the speed of the your serial connection can be improved. If I remember your clock rate is now at 64000, which is around the recommended speed the V.35 standard specifies, but I think you can set it to 4000000 (as in 4 Mbps), if you notice data loss you may want to lower it to 2000000. Some routers automatically adjust the value to the maximum supported.
  • Options
    ok so i was bored...

http://home.earthlink.net/~pandimus/Router.AVI

The action that i saw on the back of the router while copying..

For those that are interested..
  • Options
    CompTIA will agree on that one

But you know for a fact they wouldnt flat out tell you...
    but I think you can set it to 4000000 (as in 4 Mbps)

cool i will keep that in mind.

Oh yeah, i found that in the time that it takes to copy that ios, you can learn about STP
  • Options
    I just did a test with my 2501 routers and it took 2 minutes and 51 seconds. You're a quick learner :D
    But you know for a fact they wouldnt flat out tell you...
    I guess it is their failed method of 'hardening' their exams... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    I just did a test with my 2501 routers and it took 2 minutes and 51 seconds

nah, you just cheated and turned up your clock...
  • Options
    Yes, you are right, I left out that minor detail icon_lol.gif

Still not 'that' fast though considering it's about 6 mb...