can't connect via RDP

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I was connected to a Win2k3 server via RDP and restarted it. Now I can ping the server, but can't RDP to it. I also tried to RDP via command line with /console switch, but unsucessful.

The server belongs to a Workgroup, from another server I'm able to access the server and made a batch file to restart the server, but unsuccessful

Any ideas? please help me

Comments

• LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    binarysoul wrote:
    I was connected to a Win2k3 server via RDP and restarted it. Now I can ping the server, but can't RDP to it. I also tried to RDP via command line with /console switch, but unsucessful.

The server belongs to a Workgroup, from another server I'm able to access the server and made a batch file to restart the server, but unsuccessful

Any ideas? please help me

Any network management that can see services???
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Get physical access to the device and insure the remote desktop service is running.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    physical access isn't possible!

I'm able to see the server through Network Neighborhood and under the Workgroup. I'm able to schedule tasks on it.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Are there any error messages? Try port scanning the host or connecting to port 3389 to see if its running. Is it possible that a firewall between you and it could be blocking your attempts?
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    No physical access means no good.

Try another machines RDP client. Maybe your RDP client or client settings are bogus.

Try using RDP client from the Server you said had access to the target Server.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
    This is the error message and it appears almost right away:

image0231101823152038.jpg

I used Microsoft Porty query and the server is listening on TCP port 3389
    Goldmember wrote:
    No physical access means no good.

Try another machines RDP client. Maybe your RDP client or client settings are bogus.

Try using RDP client from the Server you said had access to the target Server.

I've already tried all these suggestions; thanks anyways icon_sad.gif
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    I had a similar issue once.

It had to do with how I installed terminal services.

If you don't install it correctly it locks up after like 90 days.

Is this box at home and your at work or something like that? Can you or will you ever be able to check on the machine?
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
    also do a telnet

telnet <IP> 3389

can you do a tcp **** or check firewall logs on the devices in between you and this server? Just to make sure your packets are making it there?
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    liven wrote:

That's full-fledged terminal services. You're allowed up to two concurrent connections for administration.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If nothing else, download the 30-trial of DameWare Mini-Remote Control and see if you can access via that application. Chances are, you'll drop RDP and use MRC from that point forward.
    dynamik wrote:
    liven wrote:

That's full-fledged terminal services. You're allowed up to two concurrent connections for administration.

I am sure your right, I learned to never do that again on my test boxes. If any of you guys ever watched me admin a windows box you would laugh!

But I have to build win boxes all the time to pound on and test things... SO I know enough to be dangerous!!!
    RTmarc wrote:
    If nothing else, download the 30-trial of DameWare Mini-Remote Control and see if you can access via that application. Chances are, you'll drop RDP and use MRC from that point forward.

What is the big deal about this app? Really light weight?

Just curious.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Get PSTOOLS, or just PSSERVICE and use it to stop/restart the Terminal Services service. Are you sure you have permissions to access the system through RDP (I know you did before but has group membership changed?)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    binarysoul wrote:
    This is the error message and it appears almost right away:

image0231101823152038.jpg

I used Microsoft Porty query and the server is listening on TCP port 3389

Well looking at the error you can derive some answers.

1) You know remote connections are enabled because you were using them earlier.

2) Its possible that more then 2 persons are remoting into the server and their sessions never timed out. Its also possible these sessions could have been older, maybe yesterday, and never timed out. Having old sessions hanging on could limit your access

3) Did someone else change the configuration of the server in between connections tries?

Also

4) who has access to this server?
    5) What is the role of this server?

These questions will help you find your answer. If you know who has access to the server then you can possibly change policy on the server.
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    I know this might sound dumb.. and I don't know why it works.... but I have had it show that exact message when I had the 2 remote connections still up, and I used the Start>run>MSTC /console command and it didn't work.... BUT WHEN I USED

Start>Run>cmd>enter

mstsc /v:SERVER-IP /console

IT WORKED... Like is said, don't know why this works and run doesn't ... But hay try ... maybe it will work for you.... Please update with any progress... ( worst case you can try restarting server again? Hope you have redundancy build into network!!!)
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try this from the command line:

qwinsta /server:[hostname]

This will give you a report of any open RDP sessions on the server. You can disconnect any of those sessions by using this command:

rwinsta /server:[hostname] [sessionID]
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    liven wrote:
    RTmarc wrote:

What is the big deal about this app? Really light weight?

Just curious.
    DW MRC is a really powerful remote control app that comes in at console level. Extremely secure and packed full of features that are absent from RDP. Check it out. You get a 30 day trial that is a full version of the application. There is so much built into this app that I can't really do it justice by trying to describe it.
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Most likely what has happened is that the firewall enabled itself on the NIC. Did you run some type of update and thus had to reboot it?
    I am ashamed at the rest of you for not suggesting this LOL jk.
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Try this from the command line:

qwinsta /server:[hostname]

This will give you a report of any open RDP sessions on the server. You can disconnect any of those sessions by using this command:

rwinsta /server:[hostname] [sessionID]

What type of credentials do you need to run these commands?

I tried these commands at home with Windows XP Professional as the SErver, and I was able to disconnect a remote session without any credentials. I couldn't believe it!
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What type of credentials do you need to run these commands?

I believe you you need to have administrative rights on the machine you want to view/edit the sessions on.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    If your able to schedule tasks on the machine why dont you schedule a batch file to restart the RDP Service? If anyones connected it will kick them off, If the service is down it will bring it up.

One further question, What did you do to the server that required the reboot?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
    Here is a quick recap:

-I needed to reboot the server as one of our specialized application was hanging. The application is now running.

-Apparently, the server was NOT rebooted. I used PSshutdown tool and it says server will reboot in 20 seconds, but then the server doesn't reboot.

-I'm able to list services and start them

-I could NOT restart the 'Terminal Server' service. It says an instance is already running

-Trying to RDP wiht /console option didn't work either.

-I have admin rights and the only one managing the server

-Firewall access to the server and to RDP is enabled
    binarysoul wrote:
    ...-Trying to RDP wiht /console option didn't work either....

Instead of restarting the service can you stop and the start it??

Have you checked port 3389 is open? Netstat -a

Does Telnet server 3389 drop you at a Terminal Services Prompt?

How about Telnet IP Address 3389?
    Sie wrote:
    binarysoul wrote:
    ...-Trying to RDP wiht /console option didn't work either....

Instead of restarting the service can you stop and the start it??

Have you checked port 3389 is open? Netstat -a

Does Telnet server 3389 drop you at a Terminal Services Prompt?

How about Telnet IP Address 3389?

-No, I can't stop the service, it says, "The requested control is not valid for this service."

-Yes, port 3389 is open and listening. I confirmed this using PortQry

telnet server_ip 3389 brings up a black screen with cursor blinking
    telnet server_name 3389 says connection refused (this has never worked"

Here is the detail of Terminal service:

TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
    STATE : 4 RUNNING
    (NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
    WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    CHECKPOINT : 0x0
    WAIT_HINT : 0x0
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Can you Remote Regedit? via Regedit, File, Connect Network Registry ? scroll down to HKLM\system\Currentcontrolset\control\Terminal server and ensure "fdenyTSConnections" is set to "0"

I have had several servers where an update or reboot for some reason has changes the status of this value. This is the reg key that "enable Remote Desktop on this computer" ticks via system properties.

Hope it helps
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
    Port 3389 is running and Terminal Services is running fine.

Response you got from telnet IP address 3389 , shows this.

The error is likely to be with the User account your using (not being part of Remote Desktop Users)

Can you connect to the Local Users & Groups msc from your remote machine to check this?

Or too many diconnected sessions running on the server.

What does qwinsta /server:IP Address show?
    Sie wrote:

What does qwinsta /server:IP Address show?

Here is the output:

Error opening Terminal server dev_serv
    Error [1722]:The RPC server is unavailable.

How could RPC be unavailable?
    RPC Service can do this from time to time, appears to 'hang' when in a started status unfortunatly what I usually do is reboot the system.

If you can schedule tasks on the server just schedule a shutdown -r -f. However you may need to specify the Reason codes.

Note: shutdown /r /m \\ComputerName/t 60 /d p:0:0 to initiate a remote planned restart. Other (Planned)
  • SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I have had a few servers do this as well, RPC server is unavailable. aarggh

Does anyone knows how to overcome it with out a server restart.

Another great way to reboot a remote server with out the shutdown command (i have had servers that dont respond to it) is via ADUC, right mouse click on server name, manage, action, properties, advanced, settings, shutdown, select "restart" and "if hung".

Goodluck
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!