can't connect via RDP

2»

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    SWM wrote:
    I have had a few servers do this as well, RPC server is unavailable. aarggh

Does anyone knows how to overcome it with out a server restart.

Another great way to reboot a remote server with out the shutdown command (i have had servers that dont respond to it) is via ADUC, right mouse click on server name, manage, action, properties, advanced, settings, shutdown, select "restart" and "if hung".

Goodluck

I havent tried rebooting them that way, must give it a go.

Unfortuantly i think binarysoul said this was a workgroup PC?.....
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sie wrote:
    RPC Service can do this from time to time, appears to 'hang' when in a started status unfortunatly what I usually do is reboot the system.

If you can schedule tasks on the server just schedule a shutdown -r -f. However you may need to specify the Reason codes.

Note: shutdown /r /m \\ComputerName/t 60 /d p:0:0 to initiate a remote planned restart. Other (Planned)

just about to suggest that. Sounds like some service/s are hung when you bounced it.

also, you can also adjust the /t switch to initiate how long the timer is (default is 30 seconds, you can set it to 1 so you dont have to wait) However, it might be best to leave it be.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    This is becoming a classical problem!

I was able to start RPC (it was stopped).

Now the silly server won't respond to shutdown command to restart itself. I tried task scheduler and PSshutdown from internalsystem, no go. psshutdown tells me server will reboot after 20 second, but server is still up.
  • GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    Did you ever check if there were RDP sesssions being used on the server with

qwinsta /server:servername

Your probably past that now since you rebooted the server and it hung.
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
    binarysoul wrote:
    This is becoming a classical problem!

I was able to start RPC (it was stopped).

Now the silly server won't respond to shutdown command to restart itself. I tried task scheduler and PSshutdown from internalsystem, no go. psshutdown tells me server will reboot after 20 second, but server is still up.

How about the remote shutdown command? Does this do the same??

Silly question but since you restarted RPC have you tested Remote Desktop again?

Attempt shutdown -i for a GUI
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get physical access to the device and insure the remote desktop service is running.

Physical access is not required to check to see if this service is running.

Use your standard management MMC and connect to the remote machine.
    Right click "My Computer" then click manage
    Then right click "Computer Management (Local)" and click "Connect to another computer..."
    you can browse for the computer, use the DNS name or the IP address

Scroll down the list and check for "Terminal Services" and see if its started.
    Keep in mind that Terminal Services are dependant on the RPC servce.
    Use remote event log viewer to check and see if any service failed during startup.

You can use start and stop services remotely using NETSVC.EXE provided on the resource kit.
    http://www.cramsession.com/articles/files/stoppingstarting-services-182004-1605.asp

Hope this helps :D
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It sounds like it hung up while shutting down and left some required services either down or trying to shut down. Unfortunately, the server probably needs to be buttoned icon_sad.gif

Did you try
    shutdown -r -f -m \\machinename -t 0

This command will shutdown a remote machine, -f forces all applications to end, -t 0 means now. If this doesn't work, you probably have to button it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Can we ask why you cannot physically access the server or have someone do it for you??
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Get physical access to the device and insure the remote desktop service is running.

Physical access is not required to check to see if this service is running.

Use your standard management MMC and connect to the remote machine.
    Right click "My Computer" then click manage
    Then right click "Computer Management (Local)" and click "Connect to another computer..."
    you can browse for the computer, use the DNS name or the IP address

Scroll down the list and check for "Terminal Services" and see if its started.
    Keep in mind that Terminal Services are dependant on the RPC servce.
    Use remote event log viewer to check and see if any service failed during startup.

You can use start and stop services remotely using NETSVC.EXE provided on the resource kit.
    http://www.cramsession.com/articles/files/stoppingstarting-services-182004-1605.asp

Hope this helps :D

Thanks! this was helpful. Thanks for everyone's suggestion.

I've narrowed the problem to error, "Win32: RPC Server unavailable". When I remotely accessed MMC on the server and right clicked on "Computer Management" I got the above message saying RPC unavailable.

Under services, RPC is "Started" and there is no option to stop or restart it. I suspect the server is hang when trying to reboot. I don't think the server actually rebooted. Is there any remote utility I can checkc server uptime? I know on local machine, we can use systeminfo.exe.

I will keep you folks posted. Unfortunatly, due to some beuracratic processes, physical access is a month-long process icon_twisted.gif
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Within your local System Info, you can go to VIEW>Remote Computer.

However, if the RPC server is unavailable it probably won't work.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    OK then, it's hung. You will have to get physical access or find someone else that can do it for you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Within your local System Info, you can go to VIEW>Remote Computer.

However, if the RPC server is unavailable it probably won't work.

You're right. It didn't work. It told me network path not found and/or Windows Management Instrumentation isn't installed on target server.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    RPC problems usually result in a reboot, but are not always fixed by it. I haven't had to deal with it on a server yet but in XP I've run across it many times. Sometimes it is just a clock that has gone out of sync (sometimes by 99 years) and other times it has been a corrupt WMI repository. Which is sometimes fixed by re-registering the components and other times I've had to resort to a repair install.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    undomiel wrote:
    Sometimes it is just a clock that has gone out of sync (sometimes by 99 years)

Now that mention this, I remember seeing in event logs saying date had changed by 29 days. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to check date/time.

The server is now pingable, but is no longer showing under Workgroup with other servers that are part of the Workgroup
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Reinstall OS. :^)
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA