Options

New Comptia Cert

azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
Hello all,

I copied the below link from an email i received from Comptia. The Description came from a page further into the survey. Just sharing with everybody. I might jump on it but don't want to pay the extra $50 after paying ~$250 - $300 for the exams to get it. Should be like MCSA or MCSE, once you pass the exams they send it. Just my 2 cents though.

CompTIA is considering creating a Level 1 vendor-neutral System Administrator certificate. Candidates can obtain this certificate after receiving the CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Server+ and CompTIA Security+ certifications. No other testing is required for this certificate. The cost of obtaining the CompTIA Level 1 System Administrator certificate is 50 US dollars.

http://surveys.comptia.org/Surveys/TakeSurvey.aspx?s=D39A5580B7D041EBBF7A92F8973B7C66

I originally posted this under general Certification forum. Figured it might be better here.
Currently Studying:
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    What no love for Linux+?
  • Options
    shednik wrote:
    What no love for Linux+?

That could be the level 2 Cert
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This really looks like a way to milk another $50 out of people.

I don't mind them creating another designation for someone who obtains a specific group of certifications, but charging for a cheap certificate is ridiculous.

What's the deal with the link, btw? Do you have to complete the survey to get this new information? That's way too much work for something I really don't care about icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    This really looks like a way to milk another $50 out of people.

I don't mind them creating another designation for someone who obtains a specific group of certifications, but charging for a cheap certificate is ridiculous.

What's the deal with the link, btw? Do you have to complete the survey to get this new information? That's way too much work for something I really don't care about icon_lol.gif

YOu follow the link and complete the survey and tell Comptia your thoughts on the cert. If you don't like the fee, tell them. Besides its a 4 page survey, it's not that bad.
    Currently Studying:
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I told them in my survey that I think there should be a separate exam in addition to the other exams as prerequisites.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did the survey, it only took a couple of minutes. I think the $50 is just a way to get more money out of people. If they want to make another certification that requires a sperate exam that would be different. I wouldn't mind something like wireless+
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Sounds more like a way to get people to take the Server+ test.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    I told them in my survey that I think there should be a separate exam in addition to the other exams as prerequisites.

Same. I don't see much point to adding an extra name to something with no additional testing or knowledge gained. I think it could be a great idea however if it tested on a combination of the subject material to ensure it is retained especially since CompTIA exams do not expire. The survey is very short and didn't take long to complete at all.

Not only is it an extra $50 dollars for nothing, but obviously it encourages someone who has 3 of the four pre-requisites to obtain that last certification they are missing. They might not have planned to obtain the last one until their company expected them to have the new one that more closely matches their job description.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    the $50 is just about money. If you've gotten A+, N+, Server+ and Sec+ from them...then you've already given them roughly $1100, if you dont fail an exam. Not to mention however much money for books and/or training you've given to their partners.

I like the idea of the Sys Admin cert, but since you've already met the EXPENSIVE requirements, there's no reason to pay that fee. Plus, the question of whether or not the title will be respected or soughtafter by employers remains to be seen. My feeling is that it will not, because if I have the option to hire someone with a vendor neutral or specific cert (ie MS or *nix), I would prefer them have the specific knowledge.

I, for one, do not think either A+ or N+ should hold the amount of water they do, given the recent tests I took. I cant speak for the others.
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Yeh, I got the same survey request. I have to agree. Both a way to get more folks to take Server+ and to get more $$$. Doesn't seem that worthwhile. Would you hire this person as your sysadmin based on these certs?
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    GoldmemberGoldmember Member Posts: 277
    I thought the Network+ was a joke....now this!!!

just kidding...kind of...I would rather have CCNA then Network+
    CCNA, A+. MCP(70-270. 70-290), Dell SoftSkills
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Where is the page for this new cert at CompTIA's site? You can't judge a cert without first seeing it's scope and objectives.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Goldmember wrote:
    I thought the Network+ was a joke....now this!!!

just kidding...kind of...I would rather have CCNA then Network+

I agree with you on having the CCNA over the Network+. The thing you have to remember though is that CompTIA exams are Vendor Neutral. The other thing to keep in mind about the Network+ is that it is perfect for someone who knows nothing about Networking Concepts. I think it is a great stepping stone on the way to the CCNA for a beginner.

Now then, about this System Administrator Business... Could you not consider yourself a CompTIA System Administrator if have the 4 exams already under your belt? I mean, you might not have the fancy certificate because you didn't spend the $50, but you have met all the requirements. This is why I think they need to create a separate exam.

Another way to look at it is this.... When I took the 70-270, 70-215, 70-218 and Security+, Microsoft did not charge me $50 to give me the title of MCSA.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    JDMurray wrote:
    Where is the page for this new cert at CompTIA's site? You can't judge a cert without first seeing it's scope and objectives.

It is a proposed suggestion referenced in a survey e-mail sent out by CompTIA. azjag copied the only information available about it in his initial post. The idea as proposed in the survey is simply to pay $50 after obtaining the CompTIA A+, Network+, Server+ and Security+ without any additional testing being required. They then asked for thoughts about why or why not and what suggestions you would have. Beyond that nobody knows if it will ever be implemented or if additional things such as experience requirements or additional testing may end up being added. No mention was made of an experience requirement in the survey and it specifically stated no other testing would be required.

Personally I could see it being valuable if it required something above and beyond the other four such as an experience requirement or additional testing, but not as proposed with the limited information available.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Vogon Poet wrote:
    Yeh, I got the same survey request. I have to agree. Both a way to get more folks to take Server+ and to get more $$$. Doesn't seem that worthwhile. Would you hire this person as your sysadmin based on these certs?

I don't mind them giving a little incentive to take the Server+ as well. Would we all have taken this many MS tests if it weren't for the MCSE designation? I just can't believe they require payment to make it "official" after completing all four exams.

Here was my response to why I didn't think it was valuable:
    I wrote:
    If I had two applicants who both had the A+, Network+, Server+, and Security+, and only one was a CompTIA Level 1 System Administrator, I would hire the one who DID NOT have this designation because he was the one smart enough to not throw away $50.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    I don't mind them giving a little incentive to take the Server+ as well.
    I hope CompTIA is seriously considering overhauling Server+ to include VM technology. There really needs to be a vendor-neutral virtualization technology cert.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with the VM cert Idea.

I gave CompTIA the general consensus, make the designation free, or require an additional test to add additional weight to the cert. Right now it seems like the cert is just saying "Hi, I'm Bob, I spent a lot of money for this entry level cert." Where an MCSE could likely spend the same amount on actual test and material costs.

Also CompTIA Level 1 System Administrator seems like a weird name with level 1. Just name it CompTIA System Administrator. Maybe Comptia System Guru if they include most of the other 'off' certs too. icon_wink.gif
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    lnsomnialnsomnia Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I might jump on it but don't want to pay the extra $50 after paying ~$250 - $300 for the exams to get it.

I'd like to know where you get your vouchers so cheap, $300 for 5 tests, thats $60 a test. I can has cheap CompTIA vouchers? Please share the wealth, err well, cheapness.
  • Options
    He means each.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would also agree with adding VM to the Server+ test. In my company virtualization is everywhere from desktops to servers. It's the trend and CompTIA should include adding that to the test.
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Schluep wrote:

Same. I don't see much point to adding an extra name to something with no additional testing or knowledge gained. I think it could be a great idea however if it tested on a combination of the subject material to ensure it is retained especially since CompTIA exams do not expire. The survey is very short and didn't take long to complete at all.

Not only is it an extra $50 dollars for nothing, but obviously it encourages someone who has 3 of the four pre-requisites to obtain that last certification they are missing. They might not have planned to obtain the last one until their company expected them to have the new one that more closely matches their job description.

^ You basically wrote out my entire line of thought when i read the initial post.

I dont blame comptia. They are in it for the money.
  • Options
    hettyhetty Member Posts: 394
    I cant see VM being in Server+. Server+ is so heavy with server hardware, backups, RAID, SCSI and fibre-channel I dont know where you would fit it in. A dedicated VM+ would be better IMO but what software would you use? Or would it be totally technical on how VMs work.

I think Wireless+'s place is already taken up with Wireless#.

I got a survey a while ago from them asking about a vendor neutral storage cert as well. Dont know what else they can do.
  • Options
    I haven't heard hide nor hair about this. Anybody else find anything on this in the last year?
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • Options
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    Well the fact remains that Comptia is just WAY to proud of their certs to start with.

Noone should have to pay 300$ for an A+ or 2xx$ for Net/Sec+.....Ripoffs.

That being said, a couple of their certs have become "household" names for IT hiring and ill be getting at minimum Security+
  • Options
    Jordus wrote: »
    Noone should have to pay 300$ for an A+ or 2xx$ for Net/Sec+.....Ripoffs.
    People are willing to pay what CompTIA is charging, and apparently that's "what the market will bear." Desirable certs cost a lot; a high price adds to a cert's perceived worth. If you hate the way this all works then you hate capitalism itself. Maybe the government should own and control all certification vendors to make certs cheap and affordable for all, eh? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    People are willing to pay what CompTIA is charging, and apparently that's "what the market will bear." Desirable certs cost a lot; a high price adds to a cert's perceived worth.

Agreed, considering they offer a couple certifications that many people entering the IT industry acquire (A+ and Network+) they are able to charge what they currently charge and there is apparently the demand there. I personally don't hold either of the two certifications and I will not obtain them because my skill level is past that point and I've got experience as well. If I wasn't fortunate enough to have entered the industry without their foundation level certifications, then I would have gladly paid the fee's they charge to obtain them.

I don't understand how you (Jordus) could consider the certifications a ripoff. If they enable you to get noticed and get into an entry level position which is the desire for many people trying to get into the industry, then it is far from a ripoff. What's $500 for a couple of certs when I hear stories about people with a bachelors degree in business or what have you taking a job as a management trainee for 30k a year and then slowly working their way up? While a formal education certainly gains a significant advantage (one of the reasons I decided to finish up my bachelors degree), lets face the reality of things - the IT industry is one of the few industries that a person with enough motivation and persistence can invest some time and a relatively small amount of money (compared to a full fledged degree) to obtain a couple or so certifications and land that entry level role if they play their cards right and work up from there. Having a degree makes it easier, and generally works out to your advantage in the long term, but the fact is many people have grown in the industry without a degree and many others know of people who have. That is why they can continue to charge what they do for the exams, and that is why people gladly pay those fees.
  • Options
    Agreed, considering they offer a couple certifications that many people entering the IT industry acquire (A+ and Network+) they are able to charge what they currently charge and there is apparently the demand there. I personally don't hold either of the two certifications and I will not obtain them because my skill level is past that point and I've got experience as well. If I wasn't fortunate enough to have entered the industry without their foundation level certifications, then I would have gladly paid the fee's they charge to obtain them.

I don't understand how you (Jordus) could consider the certifications a ripoff. If they enable you to get noticed and get into an entry level position which is the desire for many people trying to get into the industry, then it is far from a ripoff. What's $500 for a couple of certs when I hear stories about people with a bachelors degree in business or what have you taking a job as a management trainee for 30k a year and then slowly working their way up? While a formal education certainly gains a significant advantage (one of the reasons I decided to finish up my bachelors degree), lets face the reality of things - the IT industry is one of the few industries that a person with enough motivation and persistence can invest some time and a relatively small amount of money (compared to a full fledged degree) to obtain a couple or so certifications and land that entry level role if they play their cards right and work up from there. Having a degree makes it easier, and generally works out to your advantage in the long term, but the fact is many people have grown in the industry without a degree and many others know of people who have. That is why they can continue to charge what they do for the exams, and that is why people gladly pay those fees.

The A+ is near worthless. The fact is that unless you have 0 experience, no degree and no other cert and just happen to want to be in this feild, you just dont really "need" it.

If you aspire to be a hardware tech and sling parts the rest of your life, then thats cool....spend 300$ on a cert that is worth it for the first 3 months of your career, and then is overlooked.

I had many professors and seasoned IT pros that I know tell me to not even bother with it and start working towards something more worthwhile such as an MCSA. Coincidentally, I listened to this advice and while a lot of people in my class were chugging away at paying for the A+, I just did the MCP 70-270 and still ended up landing a better job than any of them, quicker than them.

In my opinion, there are only a couple relevant Comptia certs, and those are overpriced. People will pay it, and so will I, because they are something HR filters for and hiring managers look for.
  • Options
    and while a lot of people in my class were chugging away at paying for the A+, I just did the MCP 70-270 and still ended up landing a better job than any of them, quicker than them.
    It's apple-n-oranges. The 270 is for help desk and the A+ is for a PC repair tech. I wouldn't trust a 270-only guy to replace my mouse and keyboard. icon_lol.gif
    People will pay it, and so will I, because they are something HR filters for and hiring managers look for.
    That is quite true. Gotta do what it takes to play the game the way the people who make the rules want it played.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    It's apple-n-oranges. The 270 is for help desk and the A+ is for a PC repair tech. I wouldn't trust a 270-only guy to replace my mouse and keyboard. icon_lol.gif

That is quite true. Gotta do what it takes to play the game the way the people who make the rules want it played.

So a guy who can configure RAID, Dynamic and Basic discks cant change a mouse/keyboard? ;)

Im not picking out Comptia for hating.....There are even piles of degrees out there that arent worth the paper the diploma is printed on, but by God having that paper opens doors. Its a shame that people get so attached to doing things one way and we sometimes accepting less because it is the "norm".