Options

New Comptia Cert

2»

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jordus wrote: »
    So a guy who can configure RAID, Dynamic and Basic discks cant change a mouse/keyboard? ;)

The square peg doesn't fit into the round hole lesson isn't covered in the 270 :D
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Man, I wish I had an A+.

I couldn't even get a USB device to come up after I plugged it in. A reboot didn't fix things either!

Who knew that USB plugs fit perfectly into Ethernet jacks?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Man, I wish I had an A+.

I couldn't even get a USB device to come up after I plugged it in. A reboot didn't fix things either!

Who knew that USB plugs fit perfectly into Ethernet jacks?

You would clearly need a CCNA to properly determine that the reason you failed was because you didn't connect your USB device into a PoE enabled switch ;)
  • Options
    PaperclipPaperclip Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lol, but did the device respond to ping or telnet?
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    LOL, you guys crack me up. I have actually seen someone put something other than a RJ-45 into an ethernet jack due to be too lazy to walk around a rack..

I think that Comptia's tests are priced too high, but it does seem to give a person that little bit extra to make sure that they pass the test the first time. I find that for me, I am not taking the MS tests as serious due to the second shot offer, but that isn't MS's fault, rather mine.

I say the VM track would be a good test for them to consider. I looked into the Server+ 2 years ago and wish I wouldl have taken it, but at this point I don't see the need. What some people need to realize with the A+/Net+ tests are that vendors need these to at least show some kind of basic knowledge of their PC's techs apptitude in order to get contracts. Dell is one of them, and they push that hard. When I took my A+ in '99, i helped me to break into and land my first tech position, so for me it was a necessity.

If someone has worked to get those certs, no matter how "useless" some people think those certs are, they show that someone is trying to better themselves or improve. Every test has something to learn or gain, so what is the problem? This is still America and everyone has the opportunity to pick and choose, I personally won't chastize anyone for any cert.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I brought this back simply so I could possibly get some space back. Going from A+, Net+, Svr+, Sec+ to CSA would be nice. Or Would it be CompTIA SA? What would be the Acronym for this...?
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    If it wasn't for the A+, I wouldn't be where I am today. That got my foot in the door, it was more than worth the money spent on obtaining it.
  • Options
    Is there anyone on the forums who is part of Comptia's group of members who help write the tests or input at least to the "horse's mouth?" Are they moving forward on this?
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    motogpman, what kind of person would try to insert anything but a J45 into an ethernet port?? Surely not lazy, but ignorant and ill-trained. I think Lazy would be getting someone else to do it--that one I've seen!

Well, A+ and Network+ got me my first Tech job, so I am all for the Certs. Server+ prepared me for my next position, and I have been there for 5 years--still learning.
    I am typical. Experience gained after certification, backwards I know, but it is the norm.

I would be all for the CompTIA Sysadmin cert, but I do not think that they should charge for it, but I think that they should ad the Linux+ certification onto the path. I cannot see
    having a vendor-neutral certification without having some *nix ability proven.

Further, I should think that a cert with all of that knowledge proven would be for a tech who would be "moonlighting-worthy".

My 2-cents worth.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    janmike wrote: »
    motogpman, what kind of person would try to insert anything but a J45 into an ethernet port??

Me! I seriously did that. It was a desktop I couldn't move around, so I just reached around back and hoped for the best. It does indeed fit icon_lol.gif

Wow, the last half of that could totally be taken out of context...
  • Options
    Dynamik, you know how I know you're ****? ^^

But seriously, I have done the same thing when blindly inserting my usb sticks. Especially in those with two NICs.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • Options
    *Deletes Clay Aiken from iTunes library* icon_cry.gif

Wait... Was there something else?
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked with a paper MCSE in a call center a few years back. She was complaining that she needed a new keyboard because the number pad didn't work. I pressed Num Lock and the issue was resolved.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    I don't think MS covers Num Lock procedures. Was she A+ certified?
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    CCNA
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    arwes wrote: »
    I worked with a paper MCSE in a call center a few years back. She was complaining that she needed a new keyboard because the number pad didn't work. I pressed Num Lock and the issue was resolved.

Wow.... Just... Wow!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    arwes wrote: »
    This is an excellent example of why people should only describe their needs and problems and not suggest solutions. Leave the determination of the solutions up to the professionals (in this case, the A+-certified icon_lol.gif)
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    JDMurray wrote: »
    This is an excellent example of why people should only describe their needs and problems and not suggest solutions. Leave the determination of the solutions up to the professionals (in this case, the A+-certified icon_lol.gif)

I'll certainly be giving you a call when I cant figure out how to plug in my HDMI cable. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Just kidding.
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Yeah of course CompTIA is in it for the money, and of course they want to make more money. But that was kinda lame. They should just put out a whole new test and make prereqs.. not just another test reiterating what you've already tested on.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    Janmike: LOL, actually this person did that and has also asked me to help do what he was supposed to take care ( which is very often), after a 22 mile trip to a remote site, he plugged in the power cable and then handed me the cable and asked me to plug it. I guess that means he fits both categories. I was not happy, had been in a bucket rewiring the facility, in August, was dirty/tired, so I guess he should have expected my reaction of just walking off mumbling and got back into the bucket to finish. There has been mumblings of an IT mutiny over the years.

People make mistakes, but if certified and YEARS of experience, I expect more.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Yep, moto, that is an attitude that irritates me, even if I am not dirty, tired and hot.

We have those all around us within the IT department. Any techs in my area, would never dare try that--not with me anyway!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki