Options

Start my new job tomorrow(Monday)

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah, pretty much required for the video. If we don't apply it then all sorts of bad stuff will happen. <_<

One of the site contacts took it off my hands since I'm busy enough, so apparently Dell will need to fix it. Everyone else that tried to resolve the issue failed in doing so. Rotten update.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    OK, I'm confused. Was this a Dell bios update or an HP bios update? Or is this Dell issue something completely separate?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    My mustake, that should have been "HP." Sorry Dell. ;)
  • Options
    The project ended yesterday, and we deployed over 1,000 new HP desktop and laptop computers. My job consisted of preparing them for deployment, then migrating the data and installing applications for northrop clients, and finally troubleshooting issues that arose.

I did a good job, so they decided to hold onto me for a few more weeks. They are asking me to continue troubleshooting problems for end users. It's a painful job, but I won't back down from the challenges I face everyday. ;)

My feet are covered in sores from walking all the time. I wake up at 5AM and sometimes stay late until 8PM, because they are short on people. Tomorrow I've got to carry several hundred desktop computers and monitors to a docking platform so they can be picked up. I only got one person to help me. ulp. icon_sad.gif

Also talking with some people about one or two new projects that arose within the company.
  • Options
    Vassago68Vassago68 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    KG,

I am curious as to what you are making in this job, as this is EXACTLY what I do for the Army right now. Although, I can't stand the job. Very rarely do I come across something that baffles me. Don't get me wrong, there are challenges from day to day, but for the most part we have very little to do. We have a section of 10 persons to maintain about 400 systems.

I am the NCOIC of the Shop and some days over here if everything is running smoothly, it is very difficult to find work for my guys. Not that we complain, but it's always nice to be busy as it makes the deployment go faster.

As for the shortcuts to network drives, I don't think the \all users folder will transfer that over. For the most part, we just have a **** sheet in our shop that has all the IP's of various network drives and ask the user which they use when we have to swap them to a new machine. Then we just add the drives on. It's only 30 seconds or so per drive. No big deal.

I've been trying to get our server room to publish them to AD so the user can search and add them themselves, but no luck so far.
  • Options
    Not sure about that.

Update: After the project ended, they kept me on for a while longer since I did a fairly good job. I resolved tickets and did last-minute data migrations. My job role has jumped around quite a bit...and now...

I am the lead tech for the floor where they build F-18/35 aircrafts and other goodies. I'm in charge of ALL the computers used there. Well, I'm the only tech. They have many serious projects going on, and they can't afford to have computers break down on them. I have fixed probably 30+ machines this week. They are fairly old computers. Mostly it's basic issues with monitors not turning on, PCs not powering up, hard drives not being detected, citrix or mainframe problems, printer jams, etc.

My hours are from 5AM to 2PM now. icon_redface.gif
    That hurts, and I take a Bicycle to work now. Ten miles. The bike trail runs past the LA airport(LAX), so I have planes taking off or landing over my head. icon_lol.gif

Overall, it's tiring and I should definitely be making more...but it's satisfying. :)
    I've been doing a good job, so I hope they will make me a permanent employee if I do well enough.
  • Options
    iMigraineiMigraine Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    KG,

Way to go man! I'm glad to hear your doing well at NG.
    A good friend of mine works there and has been trying to help me with a job too. Right now, like most companies, they are cutting back due to the weak economy and in the case of Northrop Grunman, an election year.

Keep working hard and your managers and co-works will take notice. It's good to know many people who can help you in I.T. as I'm learning too.

All the best!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Not sure about that.

Update: After the project ended, they kept me on for a while longer since I did a fairly good job. I resolved tickets and did last-minute data migrations. My job role has jumped around quite a bit...and now...

I am the lead tech for the floor where they build F-18/35 aircrafts and other goodies. I'm in charge of ALL the computers used there. Well, I'm the only tech. They have many serious projects going on, and they can't afford to have computers break down on them. I have fixed probably 30+ machines this week. They are fairly old computers. Mostly it's basic issues with monitors not turning on, PCs not powering up, hard drives not being detected, citrix or mainframe problems, printer jams, etc.

My hours are from 5AM to 2PM now. icon_redface.gif
    That hurts, and I take a Bicycle to work now. Ten miles. The bike trail runs past the LA airport(LAX), so I have planes taking off or landing over my head. icon_lol.gif

Overall, it's tiring and I should definitely be making more...but it's satisfying. :)
    I've been doing a good job, so I hope they will make me a permanent employee if I do well enough.

im glad to hear that your move to LA wasn't a bust! Congrats on your success and hope your hard work pays off!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What city do you live KG? I'm looking for peers for my CCNA, I got a great lab at home...
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    o sweet. You might get a job from this. Thats great. I always feel good when stuff like that happens.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    jbaello wrote:
    What city do you live KG? I'm looking for peers for my CCNA, I got a great lab at home...

Marina del rey. Though it may be a while before I get back into the network side of things. Studying for 70-290 right now.

My duties are getting heavier by the day, and I just recently was given access to the ticketing system so I can have my own ticket queue. I carry a pager with me and respond when crap goes down or when someone needs to contact me. Kinda wish they would pay me more now. icon_lol.gif

Coming to LA was definitely a good move. As long as you're confident, you can get some good work doing almost anything.
  • Options
    How did this get 6000 views. o_o
  • Options
    So apparently that guy who originally gave me a lot of troubles early on got fired last week and I've sorta taken his place. The irony.

But still... icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    So apparently that guy who originally gave me a lot of troubles early on got fired last week and I've sorta taken his place. The irony.

But still... icon_cry.gif

Don't feel sorry for him, he made his bed and got to lie in it. Now he can go make someone else's life miserable at his next job.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seems like your situation is continuing to improve over there. Glad things are going well :D
  • Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    I've been watching this thread since its inception, and I have to say I'm proud of KGhaleon. He's overcome transporation obstacles, troubling coworkers, and the like, and is forging ahead in his new job. Some others on this board would do well to take a dose of his ethic instead of complaining about what the world owes them:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37572
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've been watching this thread since its inception, and I have to say I'm proud of KGhaleon. He's overcome transporation obstacles, troubling coworkers, and the like, and is forging ahead in his new job. Some others on this board would do well to take a dose of his ethic instead of complaining about what the world owes them:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if I would have made it through that myself!

Congrats on sticking with it and if you keep this attitude about your career you will go far.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if I would have made it through that myself!

Congrats on sticking with it and if you keep this attitude about your career you will go far.

+1 I have made many references to KG (mostly off the boards, but Im sure I said something here too), about his hard work/dedication, and the progressing improvements he has made.

And for that, you get this from me:

ali-g-respect.jpg
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005

+1
  • Options
    I may be working for Thanksgiving. icon_sad.gif

I got a call yesterday and it turns out my sister got married suddenly and didn't tell anyone or hold a wedding.

Also there was a report in the news this past weekend about a girl I dated not long ago. Apparently she had gotten married while I was here in Cali and her new husband was arrested for beating her up. icon_sad.gif I'm seeing her in march next year and had plans to hook back up with her. That really rains on my parade.

I'm really tempted to go back to florida right now and smack a few guys around.
  • Options
    That sucks. That's one of the reasons why I don't check up on ex-girlfriends as I might get upset about the situation they're currently in.

Will you be getting extra pay for working the holiday? That was one of the things I liked about working holidays on the phones. Extra pay and the calls were really slow.
  • Options
    Yup, extra pay. Exept we are moving machines into a new building so there's going to be more labor involved than a normal day. :/
    bleh
  • Options
    They just gave me a voucher and told me that I have 60 days to get HP certified:
    HP2-Q01— Servicing HP Desktops, Workstations, and Notebooks.

I downloaded the training materials, so it actually looks pretty easy. Just a lot of HP terms to memorize(model keys, RAS, warranties, hardware, etc). No idea how many questions the test has on it or what the format is going to be. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    That's cool, have fun getting certified! Do you get to study on company time as well?
  • Options
    Doubt it. If I fail, they won't pay for the test a second time though. o_o;
    So I've got to get it down the first time. I don't even know if I'll still be working here 60 days from now, so it's not a serious matter. Figure I'll grab it since they are paying anyway. :D
  • Options
    I seem to have lost my voucher just as I was getting ready to take the test. :D
    Will need to look harder.

Brighter news, I have received a full-time position with benefits. w00t
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sweet. You really are rolling good with this job. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Got my brand new ID this week and started as an employee on monday. There are a couple of projects going on, but I'll pretty much be sticking to my normal work routine. So far coming to Los angeles was the best decision I could have made. :)

I went to Florida last year and a lot of people I know were unemployed.
  • Options
    markk2008markk2008 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

It sounds like your job is going ok mate.

Stick with it and I'm sure you'll do well. :)
    People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT