Oil goes up again!

TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, a few people just came running through here to tell us to fill up tonight because it's going up 21 cents/gallon.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I hate speculators, my X5 is getting ridiculously expensive to fill up, gas is $1.48/L (91 oct) - that's $5.60/gal for everyone in the US - or $120/tank.

To everyone in Europe, you have my sympathies.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote:
    I hate speculators, my X5 is getting ridiculously expensive to fill up, gas is $1.48/L (91 oct) - that's $5.60/gal for everyone in the US - or $120/tank.

To everyone in Europe, you have my sympathies.

Thanks. I think everyone in Europe has given up now. We are over 10 US dollars a gallon. The cost of gas is passed on to goods manufactured and transported so everything we buy, not just gas will go up now.

The truck drivers and fishing fleets across Europe are demonstrating and blockading because they cant make an honest living.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wish I could just 'invest' into 10,000 gallons worth of gasoline instead of putting it into savings bank, or other typical investment option. Anyone know where I can find a 10,000 gallon underground storage tank?
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
    Tyrant1919 wrote:
    I wish I could just 'invest' into 10,000 gallons worth of gasoline instead of putting it into savings bank, or other typical investment option. Anyone know where I can find a 10,000 gallon underground storage tank?

hehehe

China probably. I believe they have been stockpiling oil for a while!
  • LuckycharmsLuckycharms Member Posts: 267
    GAS GO's BAD!!!! --- But good Idea..
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    even if it only lasted a month, the price gas goes up a month, I think I'd still make a decent killin'.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
    Tyrant1919 wrote:
    even if it only lasted a month, the price gas goes up a month, I think I'd still make a decent killin'.

I don't think the little guys make money off oil investments do they?
    BBC analysis of the Oil Price going beyond the Isreal - Iran thing..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7440536.stm
    May favorite thing about gas going up is the stupidity of the people around me... Every one is trying to trade in the gas hungry SUV/SPORT car that gets around 22 / 23 mpg... for Car that get around 35 ... ya that all sounds good until you figure in all the financing/trading depericiation/etc's the go along with getting a new/used car... I mean if you are paying 300 a month for a car that you also spend 300 a month in gas for plus 100 insurance... You have to find a new/used car that will cost you less then 700 a month just to break even and who wants to trade down?? It's not the American way.(Bahhhaaaa)...( Not my cost's.)

But to each his own...My thing has always been bikes so when gas goes up i just ride more...
    The quality of a book is never equated to the number of words it contains. -- And neither should be a man by the number of certifications or degree's he has earned.
    Sorry Tyrant, but no ones going to let you buy oil speculations at 10k. You're going to need 10-100 times that to get into the market seriously. Would be nice though. Gold is close to $900/oz too... It was around $400 a few years ago...
    Lucky, the trade-in/sale value of their current vehicles is also going to be significantly lower than normal since everyone is getting rid of them at the same time and over-saturating the market.

I have an '03 5-speed Corolla that gets 41mpg. It's nothing special, but I can always take my wife's Camry (which gets 33) when I go cruising for chicks.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    May favorite thing about gas going up is the stupidity of the people around me... Every one is trying to trade in the gas hungry SUV/SPORT car that gets around 22 / 23 mpg... for Car that get around 35 ... ya that all sounds good until you figure in all the financing/trading depericiation/etc's the go along with getting a new/used car... I mean if you are paying 300 a month for a car that you also spend 300 a month in gas for plus 100 insurance... You have to find a new/used car that will cost you less then 700 a month just to break even and who wants to trade down?? It's not the American way.(Bahhhaaaa)...( Not my cost's.)

But to each his own...My thing has always been bikes so when gas goes up i just ride more...

Let them spend the same or more money to get better gas saving cars. It is great for oil demand reduction and less use of the substance. It also promotes energy saving technologies.

However this was all done in the 70s and look what it turned right back into... Never ending cycle.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you guys see this article?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/05/20/geo.metro/

icon_eek.gif $7,300 for a Geo Metro.....what of waste of money (In my honest opinion of course) icon_lol.gif
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    Mishra

I agree in the need for energy savings but really a 10to20 mpg increase is a stopgap improvement that in the long run will do nothing but prolong the continual dragging of the evolution of engines... Ok really think about how the internal combustion engine and how it works... you can argue there has been millions of evolutions to the engine but really look at it as a whole.. A lot has not changed to is since its first introduction.... Air in -> Gas in -> Bang ->exhale | repeat

That is where I think a lot of people go wrong is in the thought process of getting the older engine to give you more... We as a people need to rise up and say that we will not let the industry drive us we want to drive the industry... Demand alternative energy source (Wind/Water/Human) and not just for our cars...

So in essence we are saying the same thing but going about it two different ways... I want the revolution and you are a realist and just want everyone to give little more back to the environment.

Ok I am about to fall off my soapbox .... So I will stop hijacking this thread...

just my 2:cents
    ...Demand alternative energy source (Wind/Water/Human) and not just for our cars...
    Awesome idea, I want a windmill on the top of my car. icon_lol.gif
    Mishra

I agree in the need for energy savings but really a 10to20 mpg increase is a stopgap improvement that in the long run will do nothing but prolong the continual dragging of the evolution of engines... Ok really think about how the internal combustion engine and how it works... you can argue there has been millions of evolutions to the engine but really look at it as a whole.. A lot has not changed to is since its first introduction.... Air in -> Gas in -> Bang ->exhale | repeat

That is where I think a lot of people go wrong is in the thought process of getting the older engine to give you more... We as a people need to rise up and say that we will not let the industry drive us we want to drive the industry... Demand alternative energy source (Wind/Water/Human) and not just for our cars...

So in essence we are saying the same thing but going about it two different ways... I want the revolution and you are a realist and just want everyone to give little more back to the environment.

Ok I am about to fall off my soapbox .... So I will stop hijacking this thread...

just my 2:cents

It's not a hijack. I think you made some very valid points there!
    There are people in Texas that make money on there windmills... they are selling electricity back to the electricity company's...
    Oh i know, windmills are great, I spent lots of time with a client in Tehachapi, CA (near the Mojave) and they have tens of thousands of them.

I just want to see one on a car. ;)
    sthomas wrote:

icon_eek.gif $7,300 for a Geo Metro.....what of waste of money (In my honest opinion of course) icon_lol.gif

icon_eek.gif x 10

I spent less than that on my Corolla. It was two years old and had about 90k miles. It was used by a traveling salesperson, so they were almost all highway miles. I've had it a few years and have only had to do a few minor repairs. Oh, and it won't crumple up like a sardine tin if I bump into something going over 5mph.
    Smart fortwo all the way baby! Geo Metro's are way to bulky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Fortwo
    dynamik wrote:
    sthomas wrote:

icon_eek.gif x 10

I spent less than that on my Corolla. It was two years old and had about 90k miles. It was used by a traveling salesperson, so they were almost all highway miles. I've had it a few years and have only had to do a few minor repairs. Oh, and it won't crumple up like a sardine tin if I bump into something going over 5mph.

How about super subsidizing all these energy drives? There's plenty of technologies out there. Or is the will not there from the money men because oil just makes them so much money?
    Turgon wrote:
    How about super subsidizing all these energy drives? There's plenty of technologies out there. Or is the will not there from the money men because oil just makes them so much money?

If you super subsidizing, wouldn't you just be left with sidizing?

(My wife's an English major; that's a prefix joke)
    dynamik wrote:
    Turgon wrote:

If you super subsidizing, wouldn't you just be left with sidizing?

(My wife's an English major; that's a prefix joke)

hehehe good point. Your wife is a bright lady.

My wife is an Associate Professor in Linguistics. I think she would like your wifes sense of humour!
    Has anyone here noticed how were all married to English majors/masters/profs?

(Sorry blargoe)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The US govt. will not effectively subsidise alternative energy solutions as long as it's made up of and funded by Big Oil, it's not good for business.....Not exactly a coincidence that oil prices are at their highest when the President and VP are tried and true oilmen.

I agree that we definitely need alternatives though, we're way past just trying to be more efficient with what we have (though that should be coupled with whatever alternatives prove to be viable, it shouldn't be taken as a license to start wasting again). There are just too many commercial interests controlling how these energy sources come to market. Ethanol is a great example, most of the Western world is turning to corn based ethanol production when it's pretty inefficient compared to the likes of cellulose based (by a factor of up to 10x). So why corn? Because we already subsidise it's production on domestic farms and they do have very large lobbyist groups to urge it forward...the fact that it's a bad 'solution' pales in comparision to a politician that needs his slice. Sometimes I feel like we're living in the last days of Rome, with the corrupt trying to grab every last thing before the City is sacked.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Ahriakin wrote:
    The US govt. will not effectively subsidise alternative energy solutions as long as it's made up of and funded by Big Oil, it's not good for business.....Not exactly a coincidence that oil prices are at their highest when the President and VP are tried and true oilmen.

I agree that we definitely need alternatives though, we're way past just trying to be more efficient with what we have (though that should be coupled with whatever alternatives prove to be viable, it shouldn't be taken as a license to start wasting again). There are just too many commercial interests controlling how these energy sources come to market. Ethanol is a great example, most of the Western world is turning to corn based ethanol production when it's pretty inefficient compared to the likes of cellulose based (by a factor of up to 10x). So why corn? Because we already subsidise it's production on domestic farms and they do have very large lobbyist groups to urge it forward...the fact that it's a bad 'solution' pales in comparision to a politician that needs his slice. Sometimes I feel like we're living in the last days of Rome, with the corrupt trying to grab every last thing before the City is sacked.

Yes.

It's ironic that while Europe and other countries have a legacy of environmental technologies, the US still has potentially many solutions there to help. Not least as the biggest user of carbon fuels. Like you say, perhaps the economic will isn't there yet.

I have also watched reports of the Brazilian rain forest being carved up to grow these fuel crops for cash. Seems hardly environmentally friendly that to me!

In terms of delivery, the world is crying out for more oil, water and food. The world needs serious cooperation from it's leaders in all countries. The meeting in Paris this week is a start. At the moment, people moan about the gas prices, but in the west they can still get fatter and play the Xbox at least until the credit tap gets turned off. Watch what happens the next 12 months and over the next 5 years. We face some serious challenges ahead.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Hey, just think if we had a Moore's law for transportation...or anything even close to the results of a Moore's law. I mean, the basic auto design hasn't changed in 60 years. Oooh but look, my car has an MP3 player! Where's my flying car that gets 3000 miles to the gallon? "Epic Fail".
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    astorrs wrote:
    Has anyone here noticed how were all married to English majors/masters/profs?

(Sorry blargoe)

My wife's a history major.

But then again, so am I, so... icon_lol.gif

P.S. Loved the sidizing joke, I literally lol'ed and got a weird look from the wife. :P
    Good luck to all!