Options

questions on installing vmware on my company network

vincentnyc10vincentnyc10 Member Posts: 133
i've installed vmware on my work xp machine at my office. i'm planning to install windows 2003 std on the vmware. i'm up to the part where it asked me for my network connection. it has the following option:

- use bridge networking
- use NAT
- use hot-only networking
- do not use a network connection

i'm installing win2k3 to study for my mcsa and i dont want to cause any problem in my office network. so here are my questions:

1. what are the difference for each of the option. i saw the definition for each option but still confused how it apply? can someone give me an example why u would use each option for?

2. what is the best option that i should select above based on my criteria..studying for mcsa and dont want to disrupt or cause any problem to our current network.

i'm also planning to install multiple xp os on the vmware too. thx in advance.

Comments

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bridged means your VM has direct access to the network via your Host PC, leave this on and enable DHCP and you're going to make a lot of people very unhappy ;) . NAT allows connections but they are all translated through your host PC's IP. Go for host only.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    If I do host-only. Am I able to connect all the xp machine that I installed on the vmware to the win2k3 server? Does vmware have the capability? And what does host only really mean, in plain simple english. Thanks.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you using VMware Workstation or Server?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can also add a virtual network segment that you can place all your VMs on. If I remember right, you don't get this option when originally creating the VM, but you can add it later.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Are you using VMware Workstation or Server?

Server
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I do host-only. Am I able to connect all the xp machine that I installed on the vmware to the win2k3 server? Does vmware have the capability? And what does host only really mean, in plain simple english. Thanks.

vincent,

Host-only means that communication occurs between the vms on the host and the vms with the host, you can't hit the internet or anything beyond your host. Bridged, as mentioned before, is dangerous if configured in certain ways....it can communicate to the internet and out on to your lan. Its just like having a normal LAN connection.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options

vincent,

Host-only means that communication occurs between the vms on the host and the vms with the host, you can't hit the internet or anything beyond your host. Bridged, as mentioned before, is dangerous if configured in certain ways....it can communicate to the internet and out on to your lan. Its just like having a normal LAN connection.

how about nat?
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□

vincent,

how about nat?

as a side, when i went to school we used vm's for all of our labs. Someone configured their dhcp lab on the network. Needless to say, that always stuck in my mind and caused me to be particularly careful when configuring vm's.

NAT shares the ip and mac addresses with the host. Bridged allows your vm to be like a physical node on the lan with it's own ip separate from the host.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Do you need to get on the external network/internet? If not, just set them up how I described earlier. All your VMs will be able to communicate with each other, and you will have no reason to worry about interaction with other networks.
  • Options
    i just hit a snap today...im installing vmware server full version on my dell laptop. after the steps where it assigned me 8 gb folder for my os, i start the 2003 srv machine to install my os.

but my dell laptop doesn't have a build-in dvd drive. it has a external dvd bay dock that connect to what it looks like a usb port on the laptop. when i put 2003 srv cd in it...even though the vmware said auto detect for media try...it doesn't detect the 2003 srv cd. someone suggest me to use the iso file instead. but i never burn an iso file before and dont know how. any1 have any other suggestion beside burning iso files? can i go to bios when i start the vm machine and specify to book from a usb device so i can install 2003?
  • Options
    Here is a super easy way to create ISO files: http://www.dubaron.com/cd2iso/. It will also be much faster than by installing from a CD (since its coming off the hard drive).
  • Options
    Go to your VM's and check the settings for the optical drive. You can specify whether you want to use the physical drive, an ISO, etc. You can also choose whether or not it's connected. Be sure that everything is set up the way you want. You may have something simple misconfigured if it's not reading from your drive like you want it to.

I'm with astorrs; all of my installation media are ISOs. Everything's easier to keep track of, and the installation is much faster.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    dynamik wrote:
    You can also add a virtual network segment that you can place all your VMs on. If I remember right, you don't get this option when originally creating the VM, but you can add it later.

I always wondered... can you do this with Virtual PC?
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Here is a super easy way to create ISO files: http://www.dubaron.com/cd2iso/. It will also be much faster than by installing from a CD (since its coming off the hard drive).

thx i just created the iso files. i have 2 files as matter of fact for the win2k3 std. i'm currently installing it from iso files right now..another quick question how much space u guys dedicated to win2k? mine said 8.0 GB. what do u use for urs? what is the lowest possible size for win2k3 on vmware? thx in advance.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually go with 4GB for the first drive. You can always add more later as extra drives, and for lab work leaving it set not to allocate straight away is fine imho, it won't interfere with the type of work you'll be doing.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote:
    I usually go with 4GB for the first drive. You can always add more later as extra drives, and for lab work leaving it set not to allocate straight away is fine imho, it won't interfere with the type of work you'll be doing.

i'm up to the part where it asked the licensing modes:

- per server
    -per device/user

which one do you guys use and why?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    That is something you would want to know for your 70-290 exam as you may be tested on it. Here's some study materials:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/caloverview.mspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/overview.mspx
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Are you using an eval? If so, just use per device/user.

As for the why follow undomiel's advice.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Are you using an eval? If so, just use per device/user.

As for the why follow undomiel's advice.

I know I need to know for my exam. But I just want to know which one u guy use for ur lab. Which one do u prefer and why? When u say eval...does it mean it expired at a certain date. Cuz my 2k3 is the full version.
  • Options
    Well then use whatever you're licensed for. :)
  • Options
    ok i'm up to the part where it ask me about workgroup or domain...since i select host only and dont want to interfere with my network..i should make my win2k3 a workgroup..correct? but if i make it a workgroup...would it limited my labbing sessions?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If you are on host only it will not affect your network in the slightest. Host only means that it has its own little network there internalized in your computer. It is completely separate from anything else. It can not talk to your local network and your local network can not talk to it. Therefor you can make the machine a domain controller with no fear and set up your own domain.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    If you are on host only it will not affect your network in the slightest. Host only means that it has its own little network there internalized in your computer. It is completely separate from anything else. It can not talk to your local network and your local network can not talk to it. Therefor you can make the machine a domain controller with no fear and set up your own domain.

cool thx...i will do that later when im ready to study for my 20-290...i already added as workgroup...to make it as domain..dcpromo..correct?

also on vmware..what do u guys do at the end of the day when u done messing with 2k3? do u use the shutdown power button on vmware or click on start menu>shutdown on 2k3 server?
  • Options
    Nah, I just pause the VM, must faster when you want to resume things.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:

u mean suspend right? what about reset? what is the difference between reset and power of?
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:

u mean suspend right? what about reset? what is the difference between reset and power of?

Just play around with it and see what works best for you.

Pause, suspend, etc. The terminology varies between vendors.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    astorrs wrote:

Just play around with it and see what works best for you.

Pause, suspend, etc. The terminology varies between vendors.

we are talking about vmware. isn't this what this whole thread is about?
  • Options
    Sorry man. I've been participating in a lot of VM-related threads, and I lost track.

I'll just put it like this: He's referring to the action that occurs when you click the pause icon (which is technically called suspend) :D
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Sorry man. I've been participating in a lot of VM-related threads, and I lost track.

I'll just put it like this: He's referring to the action that occurs when you click the pause icon (which is technically called suspend) :D

What does reset do?
  • Options
    The same thing as the reset button on your PC.

Like I said earlier, just start tinkering with it and play around with all the options/settings. The best way to learn is to just dive in :D