Options

Online or Campus?

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
Does anyone know if employeress care about whether you got your degree at an online college or campus college?
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Here in the UK, the only thing that matters is that you've got your qualification and that it is recognised (eg not from a degree/diploma mill, etc). It doesn't matter if it was full-time, part-time, online/distance learning or traditional (on campus).

-Ken
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    A four year college(University) Bachelors will always look better on a resume then any Bachelors you could get online.

Two reasons that pop into mind are:

* Universities requires a lot more to get accepted then the online school.
    * Universities normally have higher qualified teachers.

Normally people who can not get into a Credited University go this Online School route but I believe it is the wrong thing to do.

If you can not get into a University right out of college find a Community College near you, go 2 years, get good grades then you can get into the some Universities with no problem.

Plus it is way to easy to slack with Online Classes... icon_cool.gif

Oh and for your original question, I believe employers favor a campus college degree.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    Vassago68Vassago68 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If that were true then explain DeVry to me. They have online and campus classes. I can take my ENTIRE degree online, and it is the same material that they cover in the campus classes. Nor does my degree say "ONLINE" anywhere on it. Not only that, but most persons coming out of DeVry have a higher success rate of landing a job within 6 months then persons out of a University.

Hate to tell you this, but do to the Military, most colleges out there have some sort of distance learning going on now. Simply because they don't want to miss out on the money that the Military tosses at its personnel to attend school.

Now, if I attend my college while I work full time, that shows time management skills and a dedication to further myself and advance.

None of which is a bad thing.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I feel that it's more the reputation of the school than simply online vs. on campus. There are plenty of bad brick-and-mortar "universities" as well. I think the type of program also plays a role in the overall value of the degree. IT programs and online learning seem like a natural fit. However, I'd be wary of going to a heart surgeon who got his degree online icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I feel that it's more the reputation of the school than simply online vs. on campus. There are plenty of bad brick-and-mortar "universities" as well. I think the type of program also plays a role in the overall value of the degree. IT programs and online learning seem like a natural fit. However, I'd be wary of going to a heart surgeon who got his degree online icon_eek.gif

I agree with dynamik. i have recently relocated for a job and changed uni's. My employer told me how much better my new university is for my degree - but he was going on reputation. Although i know the first university had the better degree in terms of what i was learning from it. Sadly many employers go on reputation.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    sir_creamy_sir_creamy_ Inactive Imported Users Posts: 298
    Vassago68 wrote:
    and it is the same material that they cover in the campus classes.

Depends entirely on the program. How many Nanotech programs does DeVry offer?
    Vassago68 wrote:
    Not only that, but most persons coming out of DeVry have a higher success rate of landing a job within 6 months then persons out of a University.

LOL! Well, if you take into consideration the number of DeVry graduates working in the service industry I suppose you're right. icon_cool.gif

Someone has to cut my grass...
    Vassago68 wrote:
    Hate to tell you this, but do to the Military, most colleges out there have some sort of distance learning going on now.

Ah ha! The military spearheaded distance education! I knew it!
    Vassago68 wrote:
    Now, if I attend my college while I work full time, that shows time management skills and a dedication to further myself and advance.

If you attend college and work full-time then the rigor of your chosen program is questionable. I wouldn't hire you.
    Bachelor of Computer Science

[Forum moderators are my friends]
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

Absolutely.

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Certainly a stigma that a formal on campus university is better. Although I think that has slowly been changing for IT professionals over the years with formal universities often being unable to adapt quick enough to the market.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A degree is a degree, the rest is pretention. To be fully accredited they have to meet the same standards as any other University that offers degrees. This is like saying that a Cert achieved after an official course is somehow better than one achieved through home study.
    You can argue the quality of the staff 'til you're blue in the face but it also comes down to the quality of the student and how they apply that knowledge in the real world.

LOL! Well, if you take into consideration the number of DeVry graduates working in the service industry I suppose you're right. icon_cool.gif

Which is it - a plain old chip on your shoulder or trying to justify why you paid more for your degree than someone else? Grow up.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Vassago68 wrote:
    If that were true then explain DeVry to me. They have online and campus classes. I can take my ENTIRE degree online, and it is the same material that they cover in the campus classes. Nor does my degree say "ONLINE" anywhere on it. Not only that, but most persons coming out of DeVry have a higher success rate of landing a job within 6 months then persons out of a University.

Hate to tell you this, but do to the Military, most colleges out there have some sort of distance learning going on now. Simply because they don't want to miss out on the money that the Military tosses at its personnel to attend school.

None of which is a bad thing.

Alright well let me take a stab at this, since you obviously did not understand his question. He is asking what employers think. And I stated my opinion that most employers especially strong companies would rather hire someone with a 4 year university bachelors.

So I'll explain why DeVry is a BAD move. As stated above there are some Universities that don't have strong reputations but they are still stronger or just as strong as DeVry.

* Top Universities do not send out "Recruiters" like DeVry does.

* Also as I stated teachers/professors there are normally less qualified then Universities. (Facts are facts)

* Sadly, when you take classes at Technical schools like DeVry and ITT Tech your peers are normally less educated and/or trying to change there career path, so social networking is not something you gain. But with Universities social networking is EVERYWHERE especially with those Internships and different activities you can put on your resume.

* Once you get your DeVry Bachelors you most likely will not be able to go for your Masters and/or PhD.

* Here is a quote I found funny from an ex-student of DeVry "What most people don't realize however is that the slogan is referring not to the student, but rather to DeVry Inc. itself."

* "In April of 2007 the State of New York settled with three schools that were participating in questionable student loan practices. DeVry, Career Education Corporation, & Washington University in St. Louis were involved with the settlement. DeVry agreed to refund $88,122 back to students." (http://money.cnn.com/2007/04/23/pf/college/loans_settlement/index.htm)

If your getting out of High School and you have a decent GPA try to get into a University, if it doesn't work out go to your local Community College.
    I'm going to be getting certs as I go threw college and after college, you should never stop training for certs in my opinion unless you land that "career job" but then again you still want to stay fresh.

Hope you understand now :D

• Options
    A degree is a degree, the rest is pretention. To be fully accredited they have to meet the same standards as any other University that offers degrees. This is like saying that a Cert achieved after an official course is somehow better than one achieved through home study.
    You can argue the quality of the staff 'til you're blue in the face but it also comes down to the quality of the student and how they apply that knowledge in the real world.

A degree is a degree? Yet you only are required to take 3 math classes at DeVry for a Bachelors! (Only 2 for Associates!)

"Mathematics and Sciences 12
    (a) all of: MATH-114; MATH-221
    (b) one of: BIOS-120; BIOS-140; PHYS-216; SCI-204; SCI-214; SCI-224; SCI-228; SCI-240"

Come on man DeVry has had accreditation problems since they opened the school ages ago, if you do not know what your talking about and simply not doing your homework don't post.

• Options
    Which is it - a plain old chip on your shoulder or trying to justify why you paid more for your degree than someone else? Grow up.

Paid more? Are you crazy? You can get loads of Scholarships for state universities!
    DeVry basically only offers Financial Aid which Universities obviously do as well.

DeVry is not cheap at all! I would bet a pretty penny it costs $50,000+ for a Bachelors.

As I stated before if you do not know what your talking about and simply not doing your homework DON'T post.

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jryantech, I don't think Ahriakin was implying that DeVry is a fantastic school and that he's willing to defend them to the death. I'm pretty sure he was just speaking generally in order to encourage people not to attack each other. I'm glad you caught on to that icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not disputing your points; I've heard similar things as well. Just settle down a bit, please.
  • Options
    nato76nato76 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you attend college and work full-time then the rigor of your chosen program is questionable. I wouldn't hire you.

This is a pretty ignorant statement. I know plenty of people that have earned their degree at a brick and mortar University while working full time.
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    Does anyone know if employeress care about whether you got your degree at an online college or campus college?

-Depends on the college you're talking about
    -Depends on the curriculum you're talking about
    -Depends on the employer
    -Depends on the position being applied for

But, campus college programs almost always get lots more respect and attention on the ol' resume.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    jryantech, I don't think Ahriakin was implying that DeVry is a fantastic school and that he's willing to defend them to the death. I'm pretty sure he was just speaking generally in order to encourage people not to attack each other. I'm glad you caught on to that icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not disputing your points; I've heard similar things as well. Just settle down a bit, please.

I'm quite settle icon_lol.gif

It is just that there is no reason for someone to say:

That statement obviously has no knowledge backing it up at all.

Oh and I agree with you dynamilk about the heart surgeon icon_cool.gif

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nel wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

I agree with dynamik. i have recently relocated for a job and changed uni's. My employer told me how much better my new university is for my degree - but he was going on reputation. Although i know the first university had the better degree in terms of what i was learning from it. Sadly many employers go on reputation.

Agreed. I will also venture to say that many of the people saying this probably hold at a minimum a bachelors degree and likely more.

LISTEN TO THEIR EXPERIENCE

I've said it before and I will say it again. The name/reputation of the school is much more important than online vs. distance, or even the specific degree field that is studied.

MS
  • Options
    Ahriakin wrote:

Read a book. I received an education from one of the most highly acclaimed universities in the world for computer science and it was worth every penny. I don't need to justify anything.

• Options
    nato76 wrote:

This is a pretty ignorant statement. I know plenty of people that have earned their degree at a brick and mortar University while working full time.

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote. I couldn't care less about who you know. My statement was about the quality of the program in which one is enrolled.

Something tells me the people you know weren't enrolled in nuclear physics.

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□

Initially this was annoying and now it's kinda funny. Actually I do have a Physics degree conferred by Trinity College Dublin, I just don't feel the need to parade or demean others because of it. Ditto for certification levels.

Problems with accreditation are not the point I was making. Regardless, if the regulating bodies involved can't maintain a standard then it is a problem for the entire education system. If any nation authorises/accredits a University to hand out degrees then it should be reliable, if it really is that bad in the states then no wonder the education system is in such trouble and you have to rely on perceived reputation rather than the fact of the degree itself.

Jyrantech your first post was actually quite good, I don't agree 100% but it was well made. Why then did you fall apart afterwards? Multiple postings, no factual backup as you had in the first post, seems more like a devolution into mini-rants. None of your arguments change the fact that Creamy's post was demeaning and posts since have shown it is based on pretention about the 'quality' of his degree - be proud of your education but do not use it to snub others, very simple.

Anyway this thread is quickly devolving so I'm done. I need to go read a book or two as apparently I never have before (that one really made me laugh, we do bow down to you might Creamy and thy wonderous BSC of marvel+10).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    nato76nato76 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□

Which has absolutely nothing to do with what I wrote. I couldn't care less about who you know. My statement was about the quality of the program in which one is enrolled.

Are you always such a snob? Get off you high horse. Seriously.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went to DeVry and I have to admit, a lot of the students were stupid idiots who messed up in high school. I think it partially depends on the student on how much you learn. Luckily, the DeVry I went to, I did have some fantastic teachers that really taught me a lot about business, accounting, and Cisco. I really did learn quite a bit from the DeVry I went to.

Also, for those that don't seem to know the difference between you're and your:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your

Also, for those that don't seem to know the difference between their, they're, and there:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They're
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    " I received an education from one of the most highly acclaimed universities in the world for computer science" -sir creamy,

so where did you go? NASAU?
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    I went to DeVry and I have to admit, a lot of the students were stupid idiots who messed up in high school. I think it partially depends on the student on how much you learn. Luckily, the DeVry I went to, I did have some fantastic teachers that really taught me a lot about business, accounting, and Cisco. I really did learn quite a bit from the DeVry I went to.

Also, for those that don't seem to know the difference between you're and your:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your

Also, for those that don't seem to know the difference between their, they're, and there:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They're

Oh come on man we both know your more intelligent then to come on the internet and act like the grammar police, do you make fun of people who chat like "ur" "srsly" "wuts up"?

Note that we are not all English majors on these forums we do something that requires a bit more brain power.

As for the state of this discussion is kind of went down the drain once the DeVry kids started backing up there school that is on the stock market.

Please guys, we all know University > Technical School when it comes to accreditation and what an employer would like too see.

The End.

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It matters, but not much.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Well this thread seems to be going downhill a bit but I'll throw in my 2 cents for what its worth. I didn't really care where I went to college when I first entered I actually was on the fence between two and ended up being a dumb 18 year old picked the one closer to where my at the time girlfriend was attending. Well the program I was in was very mediocre with nothing amazing, the school I went to was known more for the business education then the technical even though it improved in the time I was there. By the time I realized that it was too late to transfer anywhere so i decided to get some experience and just finish my BS. I know that went a bit off topic but I do have a point, I landed a great job 2 weeks after graduation with the degree I didn't think much of. In my opinion my BS isn't much more then a piece of paper and since my school was known for the emphasis on business and communications it helped me get my current job. I can understand creamy's views but he it was presented rather harshly, a great program is definitely the best bet. If that isn't an option it's not a terrible thing, so my recommendation would be try for a state university first and look into their programs and then move to other options. One place i know is a pretty good online program is www.capella.edu one of TE's moderators got his MS from there and had great things to say about it. It's all depends on what options you have to choose from since I had only a mediocre undergrad in the technical aspect I am looking for a very technical graduate program to make up for it, and I think it would be more interesting for me that way as well.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Extinguisher1.jpg

Well somebody had to...
  • Options
    mengo17mengo17 Member Posts: 100 ■■■□□□□□□□
    nato76 wrote:

+1
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ignoring all the other crap in this thread.

I think there is a stigma about online universities. When I decided it was time to go back to complete a bachelors, I know I wanted to do an online program, but wanted to do one from a brick and mortar school.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    eltoroeltoro Member Posts: 168
    nato76 wrote:

You suck! Stupid boy!
    Masters in Computer Science / Software Engineering (Dec. 2010)
    Illinois Institute of Technology
This discussion has been closed.