Options

What are you reading now ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    drainey wrote:
    MS Press - training kit for 70-620 Vista config.
    Latest Splinter Cell by Tom Clancy.

Favorite Stephen King iis the Dark Tower series.

The Dark tower series is on my to-read list..soon icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,050 Admin
    jbaello wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    I still haven't read the last Harry Potter book.

Well, back to the CISSP tomes... @.gif

I love how you call it "tomes" icon_lol.gif
    It was either that or the "Codex of Infinite InfoSec." That sounds like something protected by a dragon in a cave filled with treasure in a Harry Potter book.
  • Options
    Vassago68Vassago68 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote:
    drainey wrote:

One of my all-time favorite series. King did an outstanding job on that series. Just sad that it took getting hit by a van to realize he might want to finish it off. He did an awesome job with it though.
  • Options
    Vassago68 wrote:
    UnixGuy wrote:
    drainey wrote:

One of my all-time favorite series. King did an outstanding job on that series. Just sad that it took getting hit by a van to realize he might want to finish it off. He did an awesome job with it though.

noooo spoilers :P I want to read it :)

Dreamcatcher is almost 700 pages...i think it'll take time to finish..im in page 170

• Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Currently reading the art of intrusion and the art of deception.
    This is followed by MS Press 70-290.
    Followed by Switching Basics and intermediate routing. CCNA 3 Companion Guide

So these are my current readings at the moment.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Dreamcather was a rather long book. It took me about two days to get through that one when I was in Iraq. At the time I was reading most shorter books in about half a day since I didn't have much else to do as long as the network was running fine.

My current technical read is a mix of Asterisk: the future of telephony (O'Rilley)and the ISCW exam cert guide.

Non technical read is Blood and Gold by Ann Rice (for the second time). I'm a big fan of the Vampire Chronicles.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Non technical read is Blood and Gold by Ann Rice (for the second time). I'm a big fan of the Vampire Chronicles.

+1000
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    I'm currenty reading both pleasure and study books. icon_wink.gif

MS Press - 70-290
    MS Press - 70-291

A Tale of Two Sons - John MacArthur
  • Options
    Dreamcather was a rather long book. It took me about two days to get through that one when I was in Iraq. At the time I was reading most shorter books in about half a day since I didn't have much else to do as long as the network was running fine.

My current technical read is a mix of Asterisk: the future of telephony (O'Rilley)and the ISCW exam cert guide.

yeah Dreamcatcher is long...and I don't have much time to read, so im sluggish :)

Interesting, I never any of Ann Rice, maybe in the future

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote:

IMHO, Interview with the Vampire (the one everyone knows because of the movie) was one of the weakest books in the series. Be sure to read a couple beyond that.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    UnixGuy wrote:

IMHO, Interview with the Vampire (the one everyone knows because of the movie) was one of the weakest books in the series. Be sure to read a couple beyond that.

mmm, I am not big on vampires stories, that's why I didn't watch the movie. I'll take a look at amazon reviews before purchasing any book :)

today I started reading:

using SANs and NAS - O'Reilly.

after being inspired by you, I used to only read one book at a time :)

• Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    The World is Flat looks like very good reading, thanks for the heads up, I'm on my way to go get it now.
  • Options
    I saw The world is flat at the bookshop yesterday, and I couldn't resist! I bought it ..thanks for your recommendation (and it's better be good :P

• Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I just picked up

Dragon Lance: Dragon's of Autumn Twilight. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote:
    I saw The world is flat at the bookshop yesterday, and I couldn't resist! I bought it ..thanks for your recommendation (and it's better be good :P

Its a good read...little bit tough in some areas, but very interesting
  • Options
    drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm currently reading Syzygy by Frederick Pohl
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does anyone just straight dislike any reading other than study/educational reading?

I've read some books that I did like but very very few. I just have 0 interest anymore and most of the time can't get past page 15 or so.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I've gotten pretty fed up with most fantasy and lots of sci-fi. I used to be a very avid reader of both but after a while the quality turned into milk scum and everything became a trilogy or longer. You just can't really find anything that is just a stand alone book these days. The stories and writing are just coming out terrible too. Like anything that Terry Goodkind has touched for instance. I could do a huge rant on that guy. So I don't really bring myself to read much sci-fi or fantasy these days. It takes some good searching to find anything good so there are only a few authors I trust these days.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Like I said, I just get burned out on reading in general, so I do something else when I get some leisure time. It's hard to answer.

Has anyone read Fallen Dragon? They raved about it on TWiT and Security Now. I bought it but never opened it.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i'm really starting to like "books on tape" now. You can download them right into the mp3 player which is real convenient
  • Options
    gojericho0 wrote:
    i'm really starting to like "books on tape" now. You can download them right into the mp3 player which is real convenient

Do you use http://www.audible.com

Or do you just rip them off a CD?

I wanted to start a membership there, but I can't even keep up with my podcasts.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Tom Clancy also did a Ops Center series. Each book is part of the series but also a great stand alone book. Good reading. Action/Adventure/Spy type.

I also like to read a lot of westerns. Louis L'Amour and J T Edson are at the top of that list. Homer's Odyssey is a good read. Tony Hillerman puts out some good books. One part action, one part cop/detective, one part native american and just all around good.

But then again I really enjoy reading.

The Dark Tower series is definitely worth the time to read. 7 books over all and the last 4 are each long but they draw you in and keep you reading. Not your typical "scary" story from King either - borders on the sci-fi.

Don't forget your local library. It's a great place to get a book your not sure about, then if you don't like it (or the genre) you can always return it.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I loved books on tape. Back in art school I went through several books in the painting room that way. It was great. My work is so close now (5 minute drive) that I don't have a use for them and at home just want to put music on. Plus we have only one vehicle so I usually talk with the wife instead. But they were really good back then.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    Does anyone just straight dislike any reading other than study/educational reading?

I've read some books that I did like but very very few. I just have 0 interest anymore and most of the time can't get past page 15 or so.

Reading is a habit. I think you should get some recommendations. Reading is very important.

• Options
    undomiel wrote:
    I've gotten pretty fed up with most fantasy and lots of sci-fi. I used to be a very avid reader of both but after a while the quality turned into milk scum and everything became a trilogy or longer. You just can't really find anything that is just a stand alone book these days. The stories and writing are just coming out terrible too. Like anything that Terry Goodkind has touched for instance. I could do a huge rant on that guy. So I don't really bring myself to read much sci-fi or fantasy these days. It takes some good searching to find anything good so there are only a few authors I trust these days.

Mmmm, have you read anything for Ayn Rand ?? it's a philosophy, but one of the best things I ever read. I recommend you read a book called "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. Best book I ever read in my life. You don't have to agree with the author on every thing, but nevertheless, it's an amazing piece of literature and philosophy.

• Options
    No way, just play Bioshock instead. That's close enough icon_lol.gif