Do you hang out with people that have similar interests?

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
The reason I'm asking is because I have 0 friends with similar interests.
I'm the only geeky one of the bunch. icon_redface.gif

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only friends I have that have the same interests are married with 2+ kids so they have no time. Only way I could ever hang out with them is if I lived next door to them.

I've wanted a gaming buddy for a while but no such luck. Want someone to try out DnD 4.0 but definitely no luck. And someone to study with would be great but also no luck.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nope, with the exception of one person, but technically he is my cousin and falls into the family category and not friends. Besides that I don't go hangout with anyone very often at all.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not really. I always call up my friends, "Want to study IPSec? the OSI model?" but they just hang up on me icon_cry.gif
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    ... friends?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    ide say no, and glady, i mean do u really wanna have a pint an chat about how many pins are on the latest processor, noooooooooo
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Simply: No.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    no
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    That would be a Yes. icon_cool.gif
    Wyoming_07045.jpg
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    what is this thing called a friend???

haha icon_wink.gif

luckily i have a few from college who i live near that i can talk to and such but with schedules never get to see them.
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    Social life is over rated :)

I preffer solitude over smalltalk every time.

Even colleagues have no interest in forming study groups.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Nope. I do have a few friends that would understand what I'm rambling on about but I don't want to talk about that when out trying to have fun.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    Nope. I do have a few friends that would understand what I'm rambling on about but I don't want to talk about that when out trying to have fun.

yep. I feel the same way. I have a very small amount of friends that are in the same industry. And when we do get together, we play 'who has more tech know-how' and I hate it because its just as bad as a political argument...

I do wish I had some more sports and guitar friends though... oh well.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I would say I have a pretty even split on friends who are techies and friends who are not.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The only friends I have that even know what I am talking about are friends made through work.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    I got a few some on my level some below me and some above me tech speaking. But talking about networking is boring lol were gamers @ heart so...
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    All my friends have the same interests that I do. Of course, those interests aren't always computers, but there's always some common ground. I have lots of geek-friends, but I also have people who don't know a CD tray from a cupholder in my circle of friends. Some are into anime, some are into dancing, some are into martial arts, others are into video games, there are the fitness-buffs, the surfers, the bookworms, the science fiction and fantasy geeks, and, of course, the random Monty Python fanatics.

Any cross-section of my friends will be from one or more of these (and other) categories. One of my closest friends, and roommate, Technomancer, definitely falls into the computer-geek category. . . hard.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Not really, and as such when im training at work and get to talk about it I usually go over the top and start seeing the smoke pour from their minds, icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends.

I think it's adaptive for most people. When you met someone, you start talking and you relate based on common interests and if you have no interest at all, its harder to relate. I think it also goes by other things such as humor or tastes...

When I notice someone around me that in my opinion has a bad taste in humor or other areas...I disassociate myself more...

A bunch of my friends at my last job..we all had a blast at work and could relate on many levels. But at the end of the work day....it was like the school bell rang. Everyone disappears quickly..trying to get anyone to meet outside of work and it was all out armwrestle event.

Choose your friends carefully or realize what the word friend really means to you.

I like the word collegue or associate myself...

-Rikku
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    what about this... how many of you are the free tech support??? i know i am...
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    AmpdChaos wrote:

If we start with this then we need to expand the subject to include Friends, Family, Collegeues, Managers, 'Friends' Friends and the milkmans dog. icon_lol.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Sie wrote:
    AmpdChaos wrote:

If we start with this then we need to expand the subject to include Friends, Family, Collegeues, Managers, Friends Friends and the milkmans dog. icon_lol.gif
    Ah yes. People have to buy me dinner/lunch now if they want me to fix something ;)

Being asked by the person nicely isn't too bad. Its the being volunteered to fix something for somebody you don't even know that is the worst.
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    as payment i've received food and a free monitor once... im fine with food.. lol
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Actually I've been troubles with friends lately ! most of them are into medicine, and besides that, they bore me ! I don't know. We've been friends since long time, but something isn't right. I need new friends , I've been bored lately.

My co-workers are very busy, we talk during the job sometimes, but nothing after working hours.

what do you think people ? where do you make new friends ? I need some fun icon_sad.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I have a Ventrilo server, we can have study group areas.... A+, N+, XP, Server Etc...

That would be a real time way to get info and keep some of you slackers (including myself) motivated.

=)
  • pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wish all my closest friends shared the same interests like I do, but they aren't. Hang outs often turn to leave some hanging, when discussions become to technical. I feel left out sometimes when guys start talking about thermometers, salts and hospital stuff or cricket. Anyhow it adds to the fun.
    UnixGuy wrote:
    what do you think people ? where do you make new friends ? I need some fun icon_sad.gif

Yeah good luck with that. I've even hunted down old high school friends on myspace. But as soon as I mention the "you want to do something?" they just stop responding. It's weird. lol And I'm a pretty normal guy so it's not like I have a tree growing out of me.

You may learn something!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Mishra wrote:
    UnixGuy wrote:

Yeah good luck with that. I've even hunted down old high school friends on myspace. But as soon as I mention the "you want to do something?" they just stop responding. It's weird. lol And I'm a pretty normal guy so it's not like I have a tree growing out of me.

I did the same loool !!

what's wrong with people ! all of a sudden they're fond of staying at home !! damit I need to go out lol !
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote:

Sorry, but it's a well known fact that unix guys don't have the ability to make friends.
    Unless you're a Mac-Unix guy, then you'll be the life of the party. Haven't you seen the commercials? icon_lol.gif

Seriously, most of my "friends" fall into the following categories:

Co-workers: A few of us actually do something outside of work, like twice a year plus the annual Christmas party.

Family: Since my closest relatives (besides wife and kiddies) live 800 miles away it's mostly the 3-4 phone calls per month thing.

Church: Great for eating out on Sundays and some Wednesdays, lots of phone calls, sometimes birthday parties or graduations, Saturday "work-day's" at the church, etc. The occasional Friday get together in someone's home.

Neighbors: Wave "hi" when you see them across the street. Call them and ask them to send my kids home for supper. One couple down the street we actually go out to eat with or visit in their/our homes with once in a while. They watch our dog and we watch theirs when necessary.

Online: I've met some people online, like here at TE and other places, that I would actually classify as "friends", and a couple of whom I have met in person. While most these might be better classified as "collegues" or "friendly aquaintences" there are a few I wouldn't be ashamed to call my friends. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Pretty much all of my friends are school buddies that I barely keep in contact with anymore. So I'm mostly a hermit.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    I've actually thought about using the meetup.com site or whatever to start a DND group. Or maybe going to one of those gaming stores. But honestly those people are too nerdy for me. I need fun/nerdy people to be around, not people who argue about rules or about a computer problem. Only the most nerdy go to those places and it isn't much fun.

Finding fun/nerdy people that are able to take time out of their day is very hard.

You may learn something!