Do you hang out with people that have similar interests?

2»

Comments

• cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Other than former coworkers I really don’t have any friends in IT. However my friends range from stay at home mothers, scientists, professors, lawyers, accountants, economists and some that work on Capital Hill.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Mishra wrote:
    I've actually thought about using the meetup.com site or whatever to start a DND group. Or maybe going to one of those gaming stores. But honestly those people are too nerdy for me. I need fun/nerdy people to be around, not people who argue about rules or about a computer problem. Only the most nerdy go to those places and it isn't much fun.

Finding fun/nerdy people that are able to take time out of their day is very hard.

Sounds like this: http://www.sjgames.com/munchkin/game/ is exactly what you need.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Mishra wrote:
    Yeah good luck with that. I've even hunted down old high school friends on myspace. But as soon as I mention the "you want to do something?" they just stop responding. It's weird. lol And I'm a pretty normal guy so it's not like I have a tree growing out of me.

No offense, but we don't want to hear about your lack of a woody. icon_lol.gif (Quite frankly, I'm surprised no one else didn't make that joke already.)

I'm totally surprised most people here don't have many friends, especially people to talk about technical stuff, but then again, I'm in the same boat. I speak with the guy who mentored me into IT regularly, and one co-worker quite a bit, but I don't talk a lot with former colleagues hardly at all. It might be due to the fact I've moved so much. Bah, forget it, no sense pretending I was ever that social...

The idea of a Ventrilo study group is awesome. Think I'm gonna make a thread about that for a different subject matter. Awesome idea!

About being volunteered for tech support with friends and family - that's why you tell them to buy a Dell with a nice long full support contract. Works like a charm. I'll still help out from time to time, but they understand that I simply don't have the time to be their tech support.
    Good luck to all!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    AmpdChaos wrote:
    what about this... how many of you are the free tech support??? i know i am...

I'm not a free tech support. I took 15 minutes to fix my Aunt's wireless and made a quick $25 even though I wasn't expecting anything. I've learned to charge. icon_wink.gif
    TechJunky wrote:
    I have a Ventrilo server, we can have study group areas.... A+, N+, XP, Server Etc...

That would be a real time way to get info and keep some of you slackers (including myself) motivated.

=)

I love this idea! I'm quite interested in this!

Also, not only am I nerdy, but I'm a girl.

Ah well, having a hot Asian (Filipino) girlfriend is a +10 in Geek Points & she did buy me the Optimus Prime voice changer helmet last night to cheer me up :)
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    None of my friends are in IT are or interested in the related technologies, but so what? Working in IT shouldn't completely define who you are. I have many interests outside of work, many of these which are shared with my friends and family.

I love my job, but I generally don't like talking about work while home or socializing with friends. If you don't have interests outside of IT, you are in trouble :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I think the original question was supposed to be something along the lines of, "Do your friends have any interest in IT?"

I don't think a many of us have friends where we don't have any any similar interests.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    I do all my hanging out here these days.
  • SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Sounds like a plan but something with a Shared WHiteboard or the like would work better to share ideas and diagram technologies.

I dont use things like this much so someone else may be able to chip in with software ideas :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    Sie wrote:
    AmpdChaos wrote:

If we start with this then we need to expand the subject to include Friends, Family, Collegeues, Managers, Friends Friends and the milkmans dog. icon_lol.gif
    Ah yes. People have to buy me dinner/lunch now if they want me to fix something ;)

Being asked by the person nicely isn't too bad. Its the being volunteered to fix something for somebody you don't even know that is the worst.

+1
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Sie wrote:
    Sounds like a plan but something with a Shared WHiteboard or the like would work better to share ideas and diagram technologies.

I dont use things like this much so someone else may be able to chip in with software ideas :D

Mmm, SharedView...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=95AF94BA-755E-4039-9038-63005EE9D33A&displaylang=en
    Good luck to all!
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I have a GoToMeeting account I use for collaboration. I also use GoToAssist Express for helping out "friends".
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I always had problems with finding good friends that would be willing to do some coop on some pc games. With Diablo 3 I'll definitely need to start making some semi-tech savvy friends, it looks like it'll be a game thats perfect for some LAN fun. It would be nice to have a fairly decent size group to get a good LAN party together. Get some really good friends together that you know really well and throw a keg into that party and have a kegger LAN party.... OMG that would be so fun. Since everyone knows everyone you'll be sure no one will get out of hand and start fighting and smashing up the computers.

Seems like college is just about hitting on girls nowadays rather then making friends with people, kinda wish I would of been able to get to know some of the guys in my Network+ course but they always seem a bit anti-social for whatever reason. I guess it was something about getting up early. icon_confused.gif This was a community college rather then a university, so no fraternizing in dorms.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My coworkers are always older than me, and I can't really relate to anyone at work or off. I'm too shy to ever talk to girls, my one friend is a techie but he works with completely different technology(Apple), my family is thousands of miles away...

I spend all my time studying to get more certs and expanding my knowledge, while trying my hardest at work so managers will give me better jobs. I work even after everyone else has gone home, just for that increase in paycheck or the thought that I'll impress someone and get a new position.

My life kinda sucks. icon_redface.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • AmpdChaosAmpdChaos Member Posts: 130
    UnixGuy wrote:
    My co-workers are very busy, we talk during the job sometimes, but nothing after working hours.

what do you think people ? where do you make new friends ? I need some fun icon_sad.gif

xbox live... you dont have to cover anyone for expenses!! and you get to kill your friends!
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    lol

actually I once said to my friend that MAC is girlie, and it should come with a skirt and manicure, so one girl heard us talking and she stopped talking to me, she thought I'm sexist or something lool

Actually it's the same for me, except that I am not married! so I get to spend time ALONE at home

I met many good people online, but they're very far.

I am trying to socialize more, but sounds like we IT people are anti-social by birth :)

sprkymrk wrote:
    UnixGuy wrote:
    what do you think people ? where do you make new friends ? I need some fun icon_sad.gif

Sorry, but it's a well known fact that unix guys don't have the ability to make friends.
    Unless you're a Mac-Unix guy, then you'll be the life of the party. Haven't you seen the commercials? icon_lol.gif

Seriously, most of my "friends" fall into the following categories:

Co-workers: A few of us actually do something outside of work, like twice a year plus the annual Christmas party.

Family: Since my closest relatives (besides wife and kiddies) live 800 miles away it's mostly the 3-4 phone calls per month thing.

Church: Great for eating out on Sundays and some Wednesdays, lots of phone calls, sometimes birthday parties or graduations, Saturday "work-day's" at the church, etc. The occasional Friday get together in someone's home.

Neighbors: Wave "hi" when you see them across the street. Call them and ask them to send my kids home for supper. One couple down the street we actually go out to eat with or visit in their/our homes with once in a while. They watch our dog and we watch theirs when necessary.

Online: I've met some people online, like here at TE and other places, that I would actually classify as "friends", and a couple of whom I have met in person. While most these might be better classified as "collegues" or "friendly aquaintences" there are a few I wouldn't be ashamed to call my friends. icon_cool.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Mishra wrote:
    I've actually thought about using the meetup.com site or whatever to start a DND group. Or maybe going to one of those gaming stores. But honestly those people are too nerdy for me. I need fun/nerdy people to be around, not people who argue about rules or about a computer problem. Only the most nerdy go to those places and it isn't much fun.

Finding fun/nerdy people that are able to take time out of their day is very hard.

exactly !! I just want to hang out to some restaurant or bar and have good time that's all lol...away from computers!!! (away from unix commands for me lol )

KGhaleon wrote:
    My coworkers are always older than me, and I can't really relate to anyone at work or off. I'm too shy to ever talk to girls, my one friend is a techie but he works with completely different technology(Apple), my family is thousands of miles away...

I spend all my time studying to get more certs and expanding my knowledge, while trying my hardest at work so managers will give me better jobs. I work even after everyone else has gone home, just for that increase in paycheck or the thought that I'll impress someone and get a new position.

My life kinda sucks. icon_redface.gif

you are not alone :) it pays off

AmpdChaos wrote:
    UnixGuy wrote:
    My co-workers are very busy, we talk during the job sometimes, but nothing after working hours.

xbox live... you dont have to cover anyone for expenses!! and you get to kill your friends!

hahaha, sounds like a good idea! Reading so much horror novels got me into murder lol

see, I used to avoid games because I know if I touch one I'll be addicted lol...well, sounds like it'll have to get into video games!

• ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    AmpdChaos wrote:

I'm not a free tech support. I took 15 minutes to fix my Aunt's wireless and made a quick $25 even though I wasn't expecting anything. I've learned to charge. icon_wink.gif
    TechJunky wrote:
    I have a Ventrilo server, we can have study group areas.... A+, N+, XP, Server Etc...

That would be a real time way to get info and keep some of you slackers (including myself) motivated.

=)

Ah well, having a hot Asian (Filipino) girlfriend is a +10 in Geek Points & she did buy me the Optimus Prime voice changer helmet last night to cheer me up :)

so you're a filipino?
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote:
    exactly !! I just want to hang out to some restaurant or bar and have good time that's all lol...away from computers!!! (away from unix commands for me lol )
    Now now, there are some Unix commands that come in really handy at a bar... you know like "more beer > astorrs" and "mv beer mouth". It's better than trying it at home where you're sure to run into "drink <bottle; opener"
    AmpdChaos wrote:

TechJunky wrote:

=)

so you're a filipino?

Nope, I'm Irish & French Canadian. The girlfriend is Filipino :)

...I'm a ****. :)
    astorrs wrote:
    UnixGuy wrote:
    Now now, there are some Unix commands that come in really handy at a bar... you know like "more beer > astorrs" and "mv beer mouth". It's better than trying it at home where you're sure to run into "drink <bottle; opener"

lool icon_sad.gif

• sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I am in the same boat as most of the others here. I have a few friends but not many "true" friends, most non-technical. Some like computers a lot but don't know much more then how to use one. I get computer questions all the time of course. I do have a couple of friends that don't like technology much and they don't bother me with questions all the time. I do have a couple of people I would consider friends that work in IT but don't usually socialize with them much more than chat or phone calls unless it is at work then I talk to them there. I also tried the contacting former friends that I have not seen in years thing and that did not really work out so well. Most of them would send a few emails back and forth but that was it before it fizzled out.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

thank you for the link. I expect that to be in my closet in a few days icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Talic wrote:
    Seems like college is just about hitting on girls nowadays rather then making friends with people, kinda wish I would of been able to get to know some of the guys in my Network+ course but they always seem a bit anti-social for whatever reason.
    I thought being anti-social was a prerequisite for working in IT? icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Put two and two together......

Anyways I guess I'm opposite than a lot of IT folk on here then, I'm not the most outgoing but most of my friends are very outgoing and I hangout with I guess you can say the "cool" crowd. They are always going to the trendy bars/clubs and are VIP's at most places, not really my style but fun sometimes. Mention anything about Vlan's or NTFS Share permissions to them and their heads will explode though lol.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
    So are we going to do the Vent server? icon_lol.gif
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    AmpdChaos wrote:

TechJunky wrote:

=)

so you're a filipino?

Nope, I'm Irish & French Canadian. The girlfriend is Filipino :)

...I'm a ****. :)

Tell her "Mahal Kita" trust me.... icon_thumright.gif
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Tell her "Mahal Kita" trust me.... icon_thumright.gif
    There are 700 dialects in the islands. My wife understands Cebuano and Visayan, but not Tagalog, so "Mahal Kita" wouldn't mean anything to her.

And as to me having friends that similar interests, you guys/gals at TechExams.net are it!! icon_wm.gif