Options

Weird question..

vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
I'm currently a help desk tech for a large electrical contractor. I work in the corporate office so I need to dress accordingly. But, being a woman, women's clothes aren't all that great to be fixing computers & such in. Half the time I'm pulling down my shirt and pulling up my pants. (I know you're thinking "get a shirt that fits!" or "get a belt!") Well women's clothes don't work fit like men's and aren't meant that way. (I do wear buttons ups and pants).

Here's the thing. Outside of work, I do wear men's clothes. But one's that fit. On Friday's we're allowed to wear jeans & such. So I do wear men's jeans/shirts/etc. and no one says anything.
I was wondering if I should ask my boss if it's alright for me to wear men's clothes Monday - Thursday as well. Such as button ups tucked nicely into khakis/slacks w/ a belt. (I'll even wear a tie like the rest of the guys if I have to)

You all have seen my picture, so don't go pointing the finger saying I'm "butch" or trying to be a "man"...

Anyways, should I e-mail my boss and ask him if it's ok? Or should I just do it?
If I should e-mail him, what should I say?

Thanks,

-Fade crash.gif

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would request to meet with him and explain the situation. Make sure he knows you're trying to be professional like the others, but the clothing you have to wear tends to reveal too much when you're doing your job. I would think meeting with him in person can send a message better then email...he may see you really want to do you're best, but this speedbump needs to be addressed......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You all have seen my picture, so don't go pointing the finger saying I'm "butch" or trying to be a "man"...

Only as long as you don't mock me for my penchant for evening gowns :sexy: (why isn't their an emoticon for that!?)

Seriously though, you can't find women's clothes that'll work for you? I guess I'm confused as to what you're doing that makes them so problematic. I can understand dresses, skirts, etc., but I don't see why dress pants/shirts would make things so difficult.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

Only as long as you don't mock me for my penchant for evening gowns :sexy: (why isn't their an emoticon for that!?)

Seriously though, you can't find women's clothes that'll work for you? I guess I'm confused as to what you're doing that makes them so problematic. I can understand dresses, skirts, etc., but I don't see why dress pants/shirts would make things so difficult.

They're quiet....tight. They're just not meant for physical work, you know? icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Yes, I go with Ricka182... Request a quick meeting and explain the situation.

Definitely do not just "Do it", your not working for Nike icon_lol.gif

Also might I mind asking what is the daily work is for a "help desk tech for a large electrical contractor"?
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I would request to meet with him and explain the situation. Make sure he knows you're trying to be professional like the others, but the clothing you have to wear tends to reveal too much when you're doing your job. I would think meeting with him in person can send a message better then email...he may see you really want to do you're best, but this speedbump needs to be addressed......

So I should send him an e-mail requesting a personal meeting with him? I really don't know what to say. icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    Yes, I go with Ricka182... Request a quick meeting and explain the situation.

Definitely do not just "Do it", I'm sure your not working for Nike icon_lol.gif

Also might I mind asking what is the daily work is for a "help desk tech for a large electrical contractor"?

Anything from installing a printer to setting up a server. icon_cool.gif
    I get lots of experience here.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Ricka182 wrote:

So I should send him an e-mail requesting a personal meeting with him? I really don't know what to say. icon_redface.gif

Say this:
    I work in the corporate office so I need to dress accordingly. But, being a woman, women's clothes aren't all that great to be fixing computers & such in. Half the time I'm pulling down my shirt and pulling up my pants. (I know you're thinking "get a shirt that fits!" or "get a belt!") Well women's clothes don't work fit like men's and aren't meant that way. (I do wear buttons ups and pants).

Here's the thing. Outside of work, I do wear men's clothes. But one's that fit. On Friday's we're allowed to wear jeans & such. So I do wear men's jeans/shirts/etc. and no one says anything.
    I was wondering if I should ask my boss if it's alright for me to wear men's clothes Monday - Thursday as well. Such as button ups tucked nicely into khakis/slacks w/ a belt. (I'll even wear a tie like the rest of the guys if I have to)

icon_cool.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Androgynous is always in style. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options

That's exactly how I roll. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    Ricka182 wrote:

Say this:
    I work in the corporate office so I need to dress accordingly. But, being a woman, women's clothes aren't all that great to be fixing computers & such in. Half the time I'm pulling down my shirt and pulling up my pants. (I know you're thinking "get a shirt that fits!" or "get a belt!") Well women's clothes don't work fit like men's and aren't meant that way. (I do wear buttons ups and pants).

icon_cool.gif

Well I meant in the e-mail requesting a meeting with him. :p
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:
    Ricka182 wrote:

Say this:

icon_cool.gif

Well I meant in the e-mail requesting a meeting with him. :p

Just tell him/her that you are having issues with the work dress code and was wondering if you can discuss what can be considered acceptable.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    My boss okayed it. Looks like we're in business! :D
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

there you go! I always think the professional approach is the most noble and effective. Glad its worked out!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    snadam wrote:

there you go! I always think the professional approach is the most noble and effective. Glad its worked out!

He said he was glad that I was concerned and asked before doing it. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I'm currently a help desk tech for a large electrical contractor. I work in the corporate office so I need to dress accordingly. But, being a woman, women's clothes aren't all that great to be fixing computers & such in. Half the time I'm pulling down my shirt and pulling up my pants. (I know you're thinking "get a shirt that fits!" or "get a belt!") Well women's clothes don't work fit like men's and aren't meant that way. (I do wear buttons ups and pants).

Anyways, should I e-mail my boss and ask him if it's ok? Or should I just do it?

Thanks,

-Fade crash.gif

Easy one. Get a lab/shop coat. I wear one at work from time to time and they keep your clothes clean too... an added advantage is that you get to look like a scientist... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    larrydaman wrote:

Thanks,

-Fade crash.gif

Easy one. Get a lab/shop coat. I wear one at work from time to time and they keep your clothes clean too... an added advantage is that you get to look like a scientist... icon_wink.gif

I wish I could, this would be sweet! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod

Damn skippy. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:

Damn skippy. icon_wink.gif

Wish I could watch it at work icon_sad.gif Gotta remember to see it when I go to the girlfriend's tonight. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135

I havent seen your pic, were can i view it, always nice to put a face on a name

:)

Lee H
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=211599#211599

Except now I look like a stalker!! icon_redface.gif

I did have to search for it, honest!!
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    Very nice indeed :D
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□

I gave in to being butch years ago.

shirleyqliquor.jpg

You go girl!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Pash wrote:
    I gave in to being butch years ago.

ROFLMAO.

Nice look Pash, must take you a while to apply all that make up icon_wink.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I gave in to being butch years ago

I just nearly fell of my chair

:D:D
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm actually real suprised a 'post your real pic here' thread has never been started here.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Mishra wrote:
    I'm actually real suprised a 'post your real pic here' thread has never been started here.

Can you really believe it's a real pic though?.........Anyone could post someone else, and have everyone here believe it........I know honesty is, or at least should be part of our lives, but some just don't care.
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:

I am as well. Although, you can just check out my myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/thesesummerscars icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think a suprising amount of people here don't even have myspace to view your page. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So do you get to wear the Optimus Prime helmet to work too? That would be SCHWEET!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I don't have myspace and I'm proud of it!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/