Options

Should I use thermal compound?

ZoomerZoomer Member Posts: 126
I just bought a Core 2 Duo 3Ghz processor and a new Intel LGA775 mobo to go with it. I just went through my supplies and realized I have no thermal compound left. When I installed my AMD X2 a while back I didn't use thermal compound. I don't plan on overclocking the processor and the last one was fine and still works well. It comes with a heat sink and fan. Am I good to go or should I wait another day for paste?

I'm so itching to start working on this thing, I can hardly wait any longer!

Comments

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Zoomer wrote:
    I just bought a Core 2 Duo 3Ghz processor and a new Intel LGA775 mobo to go with it. I just went through my supplies and realized I have no thermal compound left. When I installed my AMD X2 a while back I didn't use thermal compound. I don't plan on overclocking the processor and the last one was fine and still works well. It comes with a heat sink and fan. Am I good to go or should I wait another day for paste?

I'm so itching to start working on this thing, I can hardly wait any longer!

I dont think you have to, but thermal paste is like $5, so why not? I wouldn't risk saving $5 and some time if it means burning out your new $100+ CPU. just my $.02
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    When I was doing tech support I saw a few processors die because the thermal paste dried out, or the tech who was replacing something didn't put some on (or put the whole freaking tube of it on one processor) and the processor died again. So I would say be on the safe side and go out and get some paste. Even if it doesn't necessarily "need" it it will definitely help in extending the life of the processor.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    Thermal paste is like sunscreen, you can get away without using it but eventually you will get cancer and die icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Artic Silver alll the way drops your cpu temp nicely...apply a single grain of rice and it will work wonderfully
  • Options
    bogdan5bogdan5 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm waiting for my Quad 2.4Ghz (Q6600). I should get it tonight. I'm sitting here at work refreshing neweggs page with the tracking history to see if it's at home already or not :) Speaking of thermal paste. I hope I still have some some left from my last build.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to is installing the fan. It's always a pain. icon_eek.gif
    Going for:N+, MCSA/MCSE.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    If it is a retail packaged CPU then the heatsink will have a thermal pad or compound on it already.

If your heatsink doesn't then go get a tube of the cheap stuff and just use that. You can buy the premium ones but the benefit is usually minimal and pointless if you're not overclocking.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    If your heatsink doesn't then go get a tube of the cheap stuff and just use that. You can buy the premium ones but the benefit is usually minimal and pointless if you're not overclocking.

I completely disagree I used Intels compound on my Pentium D when I got it and it ran at 60 C at idle to minimal load. The CPU is prone to run hot but once I added artic silver it dropped 15 degrees and then another 10 with a new heatsink and fan.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    shednik wrote:
    tiersten wrote:

I completely disagree I used Intels compound on my Pentium D when I got it and it ran at 60 C at idle to minimal load. The CPU is prone to run hot but once I added artic silver it dropped 15 degrees and then another 10 with a new heatsink and fan.
    If it dropped 15 degrees after applying the premium compound then there was something wrong with how it was originally.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've used the stock thermal pads. I've used stuff that has come with aftermarket heatsinks, I've used artic silver. I've realized no difference.

I recall a magazine article testing various heatsink compounds. I forgot which one ran the coolest under load, Arctic Silver wasn't #1, but the #2 best compound from there test was a generic tube of thermal compound from radio shack. Difference of only about a degree or two F, which could probably be caused by how well the paste was applied.

As long as it's something it's good enough for me.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:
    msnelgrove wrote:
    Thermal paste is like sunscreen, you can get away without using it but eventually you will get cancer and die icon_sad.gif

rofl what the heck icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

QFT
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Pick up some Arctic Silver 5. Whether or not it's considered "cheap stuff" is neither here nor there. It's proven to work, every single PC tech I've ever worked with has used/recommended it, and, quite frankly, the price is not so high that you need to skimp on quality.

At $5.99, you can't go wrong. Besides, how can you argue with reviews like this one:
    Lowered My Body Temperature
    Reviewed By: 88.6 Degrees on 6/1/2006 Tech Level: high - Ownership: more than 1 year
    This user purchased this item from Newegg.com

Pros: Premium Formula. Highest Thermal Conductivity around. Better than OEM paste (as it actually contains silver).

Cons: Doesnt work well with my air conditioner, nor as a salad dressing.

Other Thoughts: Got some on my finger, now my body temperature is 10-15 degrees lower. How do I explain that to my doctor? LESS IS MORE!! USE ONLY TWO RICE SIZED GRAINS (UNCOOKED) WORTH OF ARCTIC SILVER ON THE CENTER OF CPU. SPIN AROUND A FEW TIMES UNILL YOU HAVE A QUARTER SIZED CIRCLE IN THE MIDDLE. DONE AND DONE.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I've used the intel heat sink/fans with their thermal compound already on and my cpu's always have run hot. I replaced with arctic thermal compound and heat sink/fan and it reduced the temp by half.

It's a worthwhile investment when you can extend the life of your processor for 20-40 bucks.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    I always scrape off the thermal pad and use Arctic Silver. I also don't use stock CPU cooling fans either.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alcohol Pad to clean off any existing compound/sticky crap and use Arctic Silver 5. Alchohol pads contain isoproply alchohol which is what is needed to properly clean the surface of a cpu core and a heat sink.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    Alcohol Pad to clean off any existing compound/sticky crap and use Arctic Silver 5. Alchohol pads contain isoproply alchohol which is what is needed to properly clean the surface of a cpu core and a heat sink.
    I use spit. :P
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    royal wrote:

I lick off the existing compound before using an alcohol pad.
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    royal wrote:

I remove the pad using the head of a small animal and apply the Arctic Silver using a picture of my ex-wife. (Or is it the other way around?)
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    royal wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    royal wrote:

I remove the pad using the head of a small animal and apply the Arctic Silver using a picture of my ex-wife. (Or is it the other way around?)

icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    I didn't have any thermal paste at home left so I went down to TigerDirect store and the only thing they have was masscool heat sink compound. Did you guys hear anything about that compound? Do you guys think I should just get Arctic Silver 5. Right now the CPU temperature averages between 39 to 40 C. Oh, yeah I'm using the original heat sink which was a b*** to attach. (always afraid i'm going to damage the motherboard).

I should add that's it's a Q6600 2.4GHz.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    The last time I built a computer for myself, I only had what was on the heat sink that came with it.
    Every time I would run something like Half-Life 2, I would about 20-30 minutes of play time before the PC would overheat and shut down.

So, I picked up some Arctic Silver, removed the existing thermal compound and used the Arctic Silver.... Never had any problem with overheating again. Just thought I would share that little story for those wondering if it really works.
  • Options
    I always replace the stock heat sinks, I spent around 5 on artic silver and around 25-30 on a good heat sink. I haven't had an issue since then so that is always my recommendation for building a new pc.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Sounds like the magic ingrediant this arctic silver, might give it a try when i replace my heat sink and fan

Lee H
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    Sounds like the magic ingrediant this arctic silver, might give it a try when i replace my heat sink and fan
    And one tube will last the typical computer hobbyist many, many years. I still have a tube of Dow-Corning heat sink compound I've been using since 1982 (for power transistors, not CPUs). Spread it thin and it goes a loooooong way.
  • Options
    I applied arctic silver twice on my Q6600 and the temperature is higher then it was when I had cheap compound applied.

Right now the readings on average are:

Core 0 57C
    Core 1 54C
    Core 2 55C
    Core 3 57C.

Are these temperatures OK?

Edited: Just my luck. I guess I busted my motherboard. After updating the BIOS everything broke loose. The computer is starting up, the fans are running but there is no display and the hard drive LED is not blinking. I don't have a build in AGP and I don't have a spare graphics card. Already did reset CMOS. No change. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    You dont have a build in AGP?? What does this mean

Also are you getting any POST beeps, thats the first question

Lee H
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Did it say the BIOS update had completed successfully? If it rebooted before that or the update failed then yes you have a hosed motherboard. It could also be that you need to reseat your cpu after having applied the thermal paste.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not necessarily. He may have just not grounded himself properly and given the board a little zap. Turn off the power, disconnect everything (cords, boards, cpu, ram, etc.), and then put it all back together and make sure you're grounding yourself on the case or get a wrist strap. This happens to me all the time, probably at least a half dozen times in the last year. No video is a common symptom of this.

*ahem* I should probably replace that grounding strap I broke...
  • Options
    Here's the thing. I updated to the latest version of BIOS but after that I was reading online that that version has some problems (I should have browsed the internet first) so I wanted to update to the version right below it. Which I did. It showed that it completed successfully, but after I rebooted the computer there was no display (NO POST) or there is no activity on my hard drive.

I'm going to follow dynamik's suggestion and reassemble the whole computer and put it back together. If that won't help I'll just get a new motherboard.

Here's my motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128012
  • Options
    No luck. icon_sad.gif Anybody want to to suggest a new motherboard. DDR2 800 P6400 LGA775. I'm not going to overclock.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    royal wrote:

I like to do this the other way around but after a few builds in a row i forget what im doing drunken_smilie.gif
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools