What the Hell Have You Been Smoking?

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
So, there's been some mention in various threads (like this one) of various vices certain members partake in. So, I thought I'd do one of those "for fun" threads to ask what you smoke/drink/do during your studies, after you pass, or on your downtime when you're just relaxing. I'd love to get some feedback (read "suggestions") on what potentially cancer-inducing libations you all enjoy.

So, I'll start:

When I'm reading, I tend to do it in coffee shops. So, the obvious one there: caffiene. . . lots and lots of caffiene. (And that doesn't include the stuff I buy for the house.)

When I'm at home and studying, I'll usually sit down with a couple of hours of CBT Nuggets or TestOut. And what goes better with IT certification videos than a cigar (or three)? I find myself favoring larger sizes, (Churchills and double-coronas mostly,) and usually either something sun-grown or a good blend, either with a maduro or sumatra wrapper. I'm a big fan of Don Pepin Garcia, Rocky Patel, Gurkha, Cohiba, Sol Cubano, CAO, Gran Habano, and Gispert.

And, I admit, that I do partake in some liquid comedy while I watch those same videos. Usually, it's something like a Kilt Lifter or a Hefeweizen, but I've been known to mix a mean vodka martini in my time. . . with a habanero-stuffed olive in it, of course.

On the weekends, or just a day off, I tend to partake in similar vices. I usually head over to Moylan's, Marin Brewing Company, or the Pyramid brewery for my beer, but I'll stick to my own liquor-cabinet for the mixed stuff. I'm not paying $10 for a cocktail. . . unless, of course, it's for a woman. (That's my third vice, by the way. icon_wink.gif) When it's time to celebrate victories, (or lament losses,) I like to break out "the good stuff": something like Johnnie Walker Blue Label, something imported, and either a cigar that I've been aging for a while, or one from "Switzerland".

So, that's me and my self-destructive habits. What do the rest of you do to blow off steam, that isn't considered "healthy"? (Sports, going to the gym, and those kinds of things don't count. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Excessive caffeine consumption usually and very occasionally a vodka drink of some kind. Thats about it really. I don't smoke and haven't ever tried. I guess you could count some food items are potentially bad. I eat potato chips and there are horror stories about fried foods.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a big fan of bourbon or whiskey, preferably neat. Favorites includes Wild Turkey, Jameson, and Crown Royal.

These are more when I am relaxing as opposed to socializing, in which case I stick with beer. I will drink the cheap stuff (Coors Light, Labatt Blue, Molson Canadian, etc) while playing Hold'em or sitting around a fire, but my favorite beers include Magic Hat #9, Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Sam Adams (pretty much any of their brews minus the pale ale), Yuengling, etc.

I live near a "Beers of the World" which is a beer distributor that offers beers from literally all over the world. I make it a point to visit it every month with my father as we both love trying new brews.

I have recently taken up the hobby of cigar smoking and love experimenting with different smokes. My favorite so far have been the Gurkha Legend, Nub Connecticut, and Don Pepin Blue label.

I think any of the above are okay in moderation. I eat healthy for the most part and exercise regularly as well.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    I have recently taken up the hobby of cigar smoking and love experimenting with different smokes. My favorite so far have been the Gurkha Legend, Nub Connecticut, and Don Pepin Blue label.
    I'm with you on the Gurhka Legend and the Nub, as well as the DPG Blue Label. The Gurkha Shaggy is excellent as well, as are some of the Cigar.com House Blends (as "everyday" smokes, they don't stack up to the likes of Gurkha or Greycliff in terms of overall quality).
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    I think any of the above are okay in moderation. I eat healthy for the most part and exercise regularly as well.
    It's a funny thing. I didn't eat all that badly before, but I've started hitting the gym regularly (five days a week) and eating much healthier lately. Still not giving up the cigars, but that's a given. icon_lol.gif

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    since you have a better thread name, and broader topic, Ill let it slide :)

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36985

I love cigars as seen in the other thread, but I also like booze!!! On a normal day, I enjoy a beer or two with dinner. Sometimes I enjoy a glass of wine, and I am always up for new kinds. Case in point, I just bought a sixer of Peroni (italian lager) and it was quite good. My favorite brew is probably Sam Adams Boston Lager. But I enjoy mostly all the kinds of Sam Adams brews including summer ale (oh so good). Im also a huge fan of Guinness, a good Hef, Moosehead, Warsteiner Dunkel, the list goes on. Domestic wise, I drink Coors Light or whatever is cheap.

liquor wise, I like 2-ingredient drinks. My all time fave is Grey Goose\tonic. Captian\Coke is making a good comeback, followed by his friend Jack :) Any more and its a chick drink and usually are way too sweet.

Southern Comfort is probably my favorite straight drink. Nothing like bourbon with a little peach...

Drinking/eating/smoking in moderation is key. The only time I drink more than I should is in the safety of my home, or a home I know im staying the night. I know my limits and I stick to them.

PS- I dont know what stories dynamik told you about me and SoCo, but I can assure you they are all erroneous! icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    snadam wrote:
    PS- I dont know what stories dynamik told you about me and SoCo, but I can assure you they are all erroneous! icon_lol.gif

I said you rarely drink it, and only in moderation when you do. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

I'm an alcohol man myself. I'm not big on cigars, but I might have to give them another shot since so many other respectable members partake. +1 for peer pressure.

I like pretty much everything. Old Chicago has a world beer tour where you go through 110 beers, and I'm about halfway through my second tour. There's a really nice liquor store around here that has all kinds of exotic beers that I like to try. I'm become a big fan of Red Stripe and Session. If you want to kick those up a notch, throw a shot of Captain in them. I'll use a shot of whiskey with other beers (boilermakers mmm).

I'll occasionally get some ridiculously expensive bottle of liquor just to try something new. Recently I gave Cask 16 (site has annoying music) a shot. I really didn't think it was worth it. I'll go up to the special reserve, but I think my taste hasn't developed enough to really appreciate anything beyond that. It looks like they have a step beyond the Cask 16 as well. Yikes! I think the single step up is pretty much perfect for me as for as most brands go.

I highly recommend the Captain Morgan Private Stock. It's like brown sugar. Pyrat is another great rum, as is Appleton Estate XO. I can't stand gin (with the exception of Tanqueray's lime) or brandy/cognac though. Belvedere is my vodka of choice. 1800 is a good mid-ranged tequila (no Jose!), and Patron and Cabo Wabo are great.

My all time favorite drink is the long island. I promise you, it'll be the clearest drink you've ever seen. My sister-in-law and her fiance got trashed before they could even finish one. Weaklings...
    dynamik wrote:
    snadam wrote:

I said you rarely drink it, and only in moderation when you do. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

I'm an alcohol man myself. I'm not big on cigars, but I might have to give them another shot since so many other respectable members partake. +1 for peer pressure.

I like pretty much everything. Old Chicago has a world beer tour where you go through 110 beers, and I'm about halfway through my second tour. There's a really nice liquor store around here that has all kinds of exotic beers that I like to try. I'm become a big fan of Red Stripe and Session. If you want to kick those up a notch, throw a shot of Captain in them. I'll use a shot of whiskey with other beers (boilermakers mmm).

I'll occasionally get some ridiculously expensive bottle of liquor just to try something new. Recently I gave Cask 16 (site has annoying music) a shot. I really didn't think it was worth it. I'll go up to the special reserve, but I think my taste hasn't developed enough to really appreciate anything beyond that. It looks like they have a step beyond the Cask 16 as well. Yikes! I think the single step up is pretty much perfect for me as for as most brands go.

I highly recommend the Captain Morgan Private Stock. It's like brown sugar. Pyrat is another great rum, as is Appleton Estate XO. I can't stand gin (with the exception of Tanqueray's lime) or brandy/cognac though. Belvedere is my vodka of choice. 1800 is a good mid-ranged tequila (no Jose!), and Patron and Cabo Wabo are great.

My all time favorite drink is the long island. I promise you, it'll be the clearest drink you've ever seen. My sister-in-law and her fiance got trashed before they could even finish one. Weaklings...

glad thats cleared up icon_wink.gif

Ill 2nd that motion for Captain Morgans Private stock. EXCELLENT with coke/pepsi or straight. However, I always found it to taste more like vanilla; but I understand how it can taste like brown sugar. I need to be in the mood for tequila, and drink nothing but tequila. If not, my stomach regrets it. Long islands are the exception to my 2-ingredient rule. They are delicious, and don't have a drop of Iced Tea in them...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    I never drink a beer that I can see through. The darker the better--unless it's that Russian stuff that tastes like diesel oil.

You are all welcome to join Ricka182 and myself over at www.beertutor.com for conversations about everything alcohol and lovely beer reviews. drunken_smilie.gif I think Johan is a lurker there too.
    I've developed a taste for Sailor Jerry's as well, but I do enjoy Captain Morgan's Private Stock.
    dynamik wrote:
    +1 for peer pressure.
    Don't you mean "beer pressure"?

"I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time. I have no other restrictions as regards smoking…. As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain when awake." - Mark Twain

• Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Slowhand wrote:
    So, there's been some mention in various threads (like this one) of various vices certain members partake in. So, I thought I'd do one of those "for fun" threads to ask what you smoke/drink/do during your studies, after you pass, or on your downtime when you're just relaxing. I'd love to get some feedback (read "suggestions") on what potentially cancer-inducing libations you all enjoy.

So, I'll start:

When I'm reading, I tend to do it in coffee shops. So, the obvious one there: caffiene. . . lots and lots of caffiene. (And that doesn't include the stuff I buy for the house.)

When I'm at home and studying, I'll usually sit down with a couple of hours of CBT Nuggets or TestOut. And what goes better with IT certification videos than a cigar (or three)? I find myself favoring larger sizes, (Churchills and double-coronas mostly,) and usually either something sun-grown or a good blend, either with a maduro or sumatra wrapper. I'm a big fan of Don Pepin Garcia, Rocky Patel, Gurkha, Cohiba, Sol Cubano, CAO, Gran Habano, and Gispert.

And, I admit, that I do partake in some liquid comedy while I watch those same videos. Usually, it's something like a Kilt Lifter or a Hefeweizen, but I've been known to mix a mean vodka martini in my time. . . with a habanero-stuffed olive in it, of course.

On the weekends, or just a day off, I tend to partake in similar vices. I usually head over to Moylan's, Marin Brewing Company, or the Pyramid brewery for my beer, but I'll stick to my own liquor-cabinet for the mixed stuff. I'm not paying $10 for a cocktail. . . unless, of course, it's for a woman. (That's my third vice, by the way. icon_wink.gif) When it's time to celebrate victories, (or lament losses,) I like to break out "the good stuff": something like Johnnie Walker Blue Label, something imported, and either a cigar that I've been aging for a while, or one from "Switzerland".

So, that's me and my self-destructive habits. What do the rest of you do to blow off steam, that isn't considered "healthy"? (Sports, going to the gym, and those kinds of things don't count. icon_lol.gif )

I smoke my hookah or at this one place I go to. Let me know if your down im from the bay too. :D
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I enjoy Captian Morgans Private Stock, Sailor Jerrys, and Curzan Black Strap (in that order).

Otherwise I drink dirty martini's and gin and tonics. If beer is the choice of the night, the darker the better. My favorite is guiness and then alaskan amber. Adam's Oatmeal Cream Stout is really good too, but its not the healthiest beer for you.

I dont smoke.

I tend to drink tons of green tea while at work.

Learnkeys are my choice of "study material".
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    I smoke my hookah or at this one place I go to. Let me know if your down im from the bay too. :D
    I might take you up on that. The only place I really go to sit and have a smoke is over at Telford's in Mill Valley. Very nice store, HUGE, and they have a great lounge as well as an outdoor sitting area.

JDMurray wrote:
    I never drink a beer that I can see through. The darker the better--unless it's that Russian stuff that tastes like diesel oil.

You are all welcome to join Ricka182 and myself over at www.beertutor.com for conversations about everything alcohol and lovely beer reviews. drunken_smilie.gif I think Johan is a lurker there too.

Thanks for the link, James. I've added it to my "Boozahol" folder in my favorites. And I agree with you on the dark beers, they're quite tasty. (Unless, of course, you go for the weirder stuff from eastern Europe and Russia. Those definitely do taste like either diesel oil or battery acid.)

• Tech109Tech109 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I always get to the certificate test center early for a last-minute cram session, accompanied by a 16oz low-carb can of monster. Gets the brain juices flowing (anyone tried brain toniq?)

I used to love smoking cigs and cloves when working on computer projects, web design, programming, etc. but no more.

At home, on weekends, it's dirty martinis with Skyy Vodka - don't know why, but it's my favorite (besides Grey Goose). When I make a martini with gin, it tastes like crap.

Used to only drink the dark, bitter, "good" bear like NEwcastle, Bass, Guinness, etc. but now it's all about Heineken Light!
    Tech109 wrote:
    I always get to the certificate test center early for a last-minute cram session, accompanied by a 16oz low-carb can of monster. Gets the brain juices flowing (anyone tried brain toniq?)

I go with the sugar free monster as well. I have that on the way to the test center, and I start my morning with a minimum of 16oz of coffee. I can't test unless I'm shaking.

I've weaned myself off the energy drinks, mostly due to expense (they're still over $1/each if I buy the packs at Sams). I'll still occasionally take down a red bull or monster vodka when I really feel like throwing my system for a loop.
    Tech109 wrote:
    At home, on weekends, it's dirty martinis with Skyy Vodka - don't know why, but it's my favorite (besides Grey Goose). When I make a martini with gin, it tastes like crap.

Skyy and Absolut are both good vodkas; they're my mixing vodkas. Grey Goose is another great Vodka. I think Belvedere is a bit smoother, and I prefer that when I sip it (great with spicy soup!). Also check out Chopin. It's made by Belvedere and is Polish potato vodka.
    Tech109 wrote:
    Used to only drink the dark, bitter, "good" bear like NEwcastle, Bass, Guinness, etc. but now it's all about Heineken Light!

Oooo... Has anyone ever had an eclipse? It's half Guiness, half Blue Moon, layered. Very tasty!

edit: Wikipedia has a list of layered beer drinks! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tan I'm definitely working through that list with the exception of the American and the Canadian, gross!
  • dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
    During study -- LOADS of glorious tea (expecialy earl grey)
    Celebrating a pass -- Absenthia with sugar (nothing like the green lepricon not beeing banned in my country :D )
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I don't have a shut off valve, so alcohol and studying don't mix for me. Besides, the last time I awoke on the stairs with my MS press book in one hand, a bottle of jag in the other and my pants down around my ankles.

I'm joking of course.....(or am I?)
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • kmfinegan1kmfinegan1 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While studying... LOADS of caffeine, pack of cigs, and a good trance CD.
    After a pass, a good cigar and hot cup of tea.

Laying off the booze has well kind of motivated me, like getting my finally MCSE after 9 years icon_lol.gif
    In Progress 70-431
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I don't drink or smoke, although I've been really tempted to smoke, its not a peer pressure thing, I just really like the smell of a freshly lit cigar or cigarette, but I have stayed away for the health risks.

I will however drink something heavily caffeinated while studying or taking a test, not to often though, I'm prone to anxiety attacks. There's nothing like doing a lab practical and having loads of energy. To relax its all about enjoying a video game or watching star trek.

Although lately the drug of choice has been 1200mg of Ibuprofen while studying or at work. I've had a terrible neck ache for about 5 weeks now that just won't go away. icon_cry.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Good ol' Number 7! I like Single barrel when I can get my hands on it.
    Not much of a beer drinker, love Micro brews though
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Favorite beer is yuengling-lager

Favorite wine is any decent bottle of Pino Grigio

Favorite drink is a Manhattan with Jack

Favorite shot is Petrone
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually have a few beers (Bud light) when I get off work. Then on the weekends I will have a couple hard drinks. My alcohol of choice is tequila. My favorite is Cuervo Gold and of course Patron. On shots, my philosophy is take shots untill you finish the lime. I usually get about 6 or 7 slices out of one lime. icon_cool.gif

And I do not smoke.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't smoke, don't drink.

Seriously though?

Video games. These things are just as addicting as any other substance and they are self destructing IMO. I have so many thoughts/ideas that I want to try and lots of long term goals. I love to succeed. But I get home at 3pm, and just to relax for a minute I get on my favorite addicting video game. And whadda ya know, it's 11pm and past time for bed.

Actually it's kind of funny because I have a desire to keep my brain active constantly. So if I'm at home sitting in the basement waiting for an OS to load I get antsy. I need to be doing like 3 things at once with computer stuff. Video games fullifill this need so well because I'm always thinking and doing. I rarely watch TV because it's such a brain-melt. I'll catch myself watching poker on TV but thats because I can be busy thinking about the strategies and the reads.

damn games...
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Netstudent wrote:
    On shots, my philosophy is take shots untill you finish the lime. I usually get about 6 or 7 slices out of one lime. icon_cool.gif

That... is awesome. I bet I could get something like 14 slices out of a lime if I really wanted to though... I think you need stricter guidelines icon_lol.gif
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Water, 5 hour energy, NO Xplode (really for the gym.. but you know... high caffeine, gives you a real nice energy drink "buzz")

not old enough to legally drink and not into paying for cancer.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Mishra wrote:
    Don't smoke, don't drink.

Seriously though?

Video games. These things are just as addicting as any other substance and they are self destructing IMO. I have so many thoughts/ideas that I want to try and lots of long term goals. I love to succeed. But I get home at 3pm, and just to relax for a minute I get on my favorite addicting video game. And whadda ya know, it's 11pm and past time for bed.

I'll agree with you 100% on this Mishra and I tend to fall into this catergory as well. When I get a new game that I really enjoy I tend to let important things slide. Back when I played WoW, I would spend on average 8 hours a day, it was fun, addicting, and it almost ruined my marriage. To me that was as bad as any drug addiction. Now I try to play video games in moderation and sometimes I don't play at all. The last time I've played a video game was about 2 weeks ago, there's just no time with school, work, and cert study. I hoping that when school is done I'll have some free time on my hands to do something fun.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
    Once you get more acclimated to drinking and gaming, you'll find you can do both simultaneous icon_cool.gif

For the most part, I only drink from the safety of my couch.
    dynamik wrote:
    Once you get more acclimated to drinking and gaming, you'll find you can do both simultaneous icon_cool.gif

For the most part, I only drink from the safety of my couch.

+1

beer:video games, Peanut Butter:Jelly (holding all dancing banana references aside)

I have no clue what dancing bananas have to do with PB&J, but here they are:

banana2.gifbanana2.gifbanana2.gifbanana2.gifbanana2.gifbanana2.gifbanana2.gifbanana2.gif
  • IncInc Member Posts: 184
    I study during morning hours 5am - 8am and drink hot lemon-honey drink.

1-2 fresh lemon slices (pricked, so they soak better)
    2-3 tablespoons of honey (yes, I do like sweet taste)

Either that or mineral water, or fresh spring water from the woods, during studies.
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    I'm surprised no one has said they smoked weed yet.

I use to have a prescription in California for Medical Marijuana to treat my migraines and seizures.

Haven't partaked in several years now since I have them under control.