Options

Hello EveryOne Im a Newbie:p

2»

Comments

• Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know I didn't get any phone calls for serious jobs until I received my MCSA. My BS is from a regionally accredited school and I was working an entry level job with 2 years of experience. I think it's a combination of the 3. Although, I have seen guys without any college, but with certs, who make really good money and are happy with what they are doing.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Tech109 wrote:
    Bottom line: Certs and/or degree will get you the interview. Experience will get you the job. The person interviewing you will know whether or not your really know your stuff by how you respond to the technical questions. You can't BS your way through an interview if the person conducting it knows their tech.

If you're looking for an entry-level helpdesk job, they'll cut you some slack as long as they know you can problem-solve and troubleshoot. For higher-up jobs, even desktop support, they want to know that you've actually worked with the technology in a similar environment.

It's the same in other tech fields, like programming and engineering.

Many companies are willing to train you if you've shown enough promise by doing well in your studies. After all, how else would you get the experience? icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    snadam wrote:
    certs vs degree?!?!?!?

or more like

40.jpg

Some might even say ...

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

I can only speak for where I am, and my country. I run a local forum, and I post jobs for the benefit of the members of my forum. I can tell you for a fact that almost ALL of those jobs require a degree. I'm not saying you can't get by without one, I'm just telling you what I've observed ... take it for what it's worth. [/img]
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    I'm out of college for 2 years now and I can safely say I remmember almost nothing from my 4 years in college. Sad how people think real life experience is worth less than having a degree (sometimes).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here's my take on the whole degree vs. certs debate:

collegepartyxd1.jpg

-vs-

computernerdbu1.jpg
  • Options
    aaronmac5 wrote:
    I'm out of college for 2 years now and I can safely say I remmember almost nothing from my 4 years in college. Sad how people think real life experience is worth less than having a degree (sometimes).

You think you don't remember anything, but trust me, you do. I hadn't programmed in about 2 years, but I was given a project to do, and I would've been in trouble had it not been for the programming courses I did at University. If you honestly don't remember anything from Uni, Databases, Programming, basics of writing Reports etc, then that is truly sad.
  • Options
    NetaddictNetaddict Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Netaddict wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    Do you have a link for their regional accreditation? That's the most important one to have (national is more for specialty schools, like flight school), and they do not list it on their accreditation page: http://www.devry.edu/whydevry/accreditation.jsp

Also, check out this page: http://www.devry.edu/whydevry/approvals.jsp Some of those really don't look too good. Minnesota doesn't seem to take too well to them, which might be why I don't think they have a great reputation. Check your state on that list.

You might want to look into Capella and/or WGU as well:
    http://www.capella.edu/about_capella/accreditation.aspx
    http://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/accreditation.asp

http://www.devry.edu/whydevry/75th_anniversary.jsp 1981, Like i said i want it all, i want my Certs and my degree with with some Internship while im in School. Yea i know its not cheap, but
    i have just about 54k (i put $1800 instead of $1200 for my GI bill) left in my GI Bill which expires may 22 2012, back in 2002 will attending CC it was $1038, direct deposit Rate for my $1500 for 36 Month Full time student..

Like i stated early, I want Certs, and internships while I'm in school, this was never a "Cert vs Degree" issue u cant go wrong with both in my opinion with some internship will in school to get some more Experience..

Welcome to the forums, DevilDog! One question, when did you get out of the Corps? I'm guessing around 2002 since your MGIB expires 2012. If you've served for 3 years after 9/11, or got out after 9/11 as a disabled vet, Pres. Bush just signed a SWEET upgrade to the MGIB. Even if you didn't serve a full 3 years after 9/11, you can still get a percentage of the benefits (40% for 90 days of active service after 9/11). Only downside is it doesn't start until Aug 2009, however, it does extend your MGIB expiration by 5 years as well. This drastically changes my college picture, that's for sure! I'll be applying to one of the "southern ivies" next year b/c of this, where I wouldn't have had a chance at affording it before. The new GI Bill pays up to 100% of the most expensive tuition in your state, PLUS $1000 a year for books, PLUS BAH for your zip code if you're in school full time(no distance learning though, but with BAH you can take a pay cut to go to school)!!!!! Take a look at this link, I really hope it applies to you too.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/S22/Post_911_Factsheet.pdf

Semper fi, even if you are a grimy devil dog, haha!

V/R
    ET2(SW/MTS) Conner, USN 1999-2007

To Clear things up First my Plans are to Get My degree. While I'm getting my degree I'm going to get my Certs and look for some IT intern Positions while I'm attending school, I want be working either while I'm going to school. I cant go wrong with Having My Certs,Degree and Internship Prior to Graduating school, trying to use the Internship as some type of Experience to get my foot in the door.....

And to learningtofly22 yea I got out may of 2002 from active duty and that 9/11 GIbill Does look nice I might add, i serve about 7month after 9/11 so that about 50% paid of the Max which is now Paid to the school and not Paid to u directly lol..
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    aaronmac5 wrote:

You think you don't remember anything, but trust me, you do. I hadn't programmed in about 2 years, but I was given a project to do, and I would've been in trouble had it not been for the programming courses I did at University. If you honestly don't remember anything from Uni, Databases, Programming, basics of writing Reports etc, then that is truly sad.

Well I don't because i never majored in comp sci ;P
  • Options
    aaronmac5 wrote:
    aaronmac5 wrote:

Well I don't because i never majored in comp sci ;P

Well played sir. :)
  • Options
    RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Welcome Neta.. :D Carefull, the forums become a daily addiction as you make friends around here...
    certs vs degree?!?!?!?

Very tough argument, but I would agree on the added value to have both. I know guys that had a ton of certifications and experience, but could not get a company promotion for thier life without having at least a BS Degree.

I would say at least have both, that way whoever puts more importance on the degree or cert has both. But, IMHO I think experience (street smarts...eh...IT smarts) and how your sell yourself (Positive Attitude/Never give up) is very important in the end.

Back in the day when every other guy and his second cousins uncle with an Degree in Art and an NT MCSE cert was trying to command an 80K+ salary. Now, that they should now be off the bandwagon and the real tech enthusiasts/experts can do thier job. (at least I hope so.. icon_rolleyes.gif )
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    <-- Art major
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Netaddict wrote:
    Netaddict wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    Do you have a link for their regional accreditation? That's the most important one to have (national is more for specialty schools, like flight school), and they do not list it on their accreditation page: http://www.devry.edu/whydevry/accreditation.jsp

Also, check out this page: http://www.devry.edu/whydevry/approvals.jsp Some of those really don't look too good. Minnesota doesn't seem to take too well to them, which might be why I don't think they have a great reputation. Check your state on that list.

You might want to look into Capella and/or WGU as well:
    http://www.capella.edu/about_capella/accreditation.aspx
    http://www.wgu.edu/about_WGU/accreditation.asp

http://www.devry.edu/whydevry/75th_anniversary.jsp 1981, Like i said i want it all, i want my Certs and my degree with with some Internship while im in School. Yea i know its not cheap, but
    i have just about 54k (i put $1800 instead of $1200 for my GI bill) left in my GI Bill which expires may 22 2012, back in 2002 will attending CC it was $1038, direct deposit Rate for my $1500 for 36 Month Full time student..

Like i stated early, I want Certs, and internships while I'm in school, this was never a "Cert vs Degree" issue u cant go wrong with both in my opinion with some internship will in school to get some more Experience..

Welcome to the forums, DevilDog! One question, when did you get out of the Corps? I'm guessing around 2002 since your MGIB expires 2012. If you've served for 3 years after 9/11, or got out after 9/11 as a disabled vet, Pres. Bush just signed a SWEET upgrade to the MGIB. Even if you didn't serve a full 3 years after 9/11, you can still get a percentage of the benefits (40% for 90 days of active service after 9/11). Only downside is it doesn't start until Aug 2009, however, it does extend your MGIB expiration by 5 years as well. This drastically changes my college picture, that's for sure! I'll be applying to one of the "southern ivies" next year b/c of this, where I wouldn't have had a chance at affording it before. The new GI Bill pays up to 100% of the most expensive tuition in your state, PLUS $1000 a year for books, PLUS BAH for your zip code if you're in school full time(no distance learning though, but with BAH you can take a pay cut to go to school)!!!!! Take a look at this link, I really hope it applies to you too.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/S22/Post_911_Factsheet.pdf

Semper fi, even if you are a grimy devil dog, haha!

V/R
    ET2(SW/MTS) Conner, USN 1999-2007

To Clear things up First my Plans are to Get My degree. While I'm getting my degree I'm going to get my Certs and look for some IT intern Positions while I'm attending school, I want be working either while I'm going to school. I cant go wrong with Having My Certs,Degree and Internship Prior to Graduating school, trying to use the Internship as some type of Experience to get my foot in the door.....

And to learningtofly22 yea I got out may of 2002 from active duty and that 9/11 GIbill Does look nice I might add, i serve about 7month after 9/11 so that about 50% paid of the Max which is now Paid to the school and not Paid to u directly lol..

Don't forget, you'll get 50% of BAH as well!
  • Options
    IA-DaigakuseiIA-Daigakusei Member Posts: 79 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the site! I think you've got a good plan. I am going to school and trying to get certs as well. I'm a veteran, too. I got out after 9/11, but I'm not switching over to the new GI Bill. It won't benefit me, as well as, those that are "traditional" students or those going onto take Master's degree classes from what I've read. Do make sure that you have the government reimburse you for your certifications though. If you pass or if you fail, they'll still reimburse you for it. Licenses, certifications, training, etc.

Good luck to you!
    Working on: NOTHING
    Left To Do: EVERYTHING