Options

Are you allowed to play games at work?

darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
Are you allowed to play games at work?

Has anybody gotten it approved to play games at work?

Comments

• Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're kidding, right?
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    You're kidding, right?

I've been at clients where they were playing Crysis with each other in the middle of the day.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    A few of us play this for a quick break during the day.

http://setgame.com/set/puzzle_frame.htm
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    I’ve got a lot of time playing computer games in my previous work in an internet caffe. To name a few, Games I've used to play are Counter Strike, Command and Conquer Zero Hour and Conquer online. But that’s not cheating with the job, it’s because I need to learn how to play them well for the reason that I have to assist the gamers. I really enjoyed the playing part until I realized I’ve wasted a lot of my time playing.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    See Website is down icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    at my last job we actually had a CS server running for a while. We also played a lot of halo and some RTS on lan. It was a place where as long as you are getting your work done it didn't matter how you filled the rest of your time.

At my current job a manager would never say you could play them, but they also wouldn't say anything if they caught you. We are 24/7 and if I am stuck there at 3am with nothing to do, I load up some flash games to pass the time.
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    I play eve online sometimes @work. Only when I have to work the graveyard shift. I work in the NOC @ a large datacenter and it is ussually very quiet during the late shift. We have a TV as well as numerous PC's in the office with various MMO's on them. We also have an xbox 360.

For some reason I still dont feel right playing while at work.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The owner and about 1/3 of the shop are UT addicts, so we do that after hours and on the weekends.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    GT-Rob wrote:
    at my last job we actually had a CS server running for a while. We also played a lot of halo and some RTS on lan. It was a place where as long as you are getting your work done it didn't matter how you filled the rest of your time.

I had a similar job a few years back. They goofed off; I studied. Now they're struggling to find jobs, and my salary is 30% higher.

What's interesting is they're still totally puzzled how I had all the time it required to do what I did.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    we can't do anythign on the scale of having Xbox's or servers setup, but for the late show. Its not uncommon for people to have there PSP's with them. One thing that pissed me off though, is I could'nt bring in my laptop to use dynamips on it, but I was allowed to play my PSP during watch, go figure. I didn't make a stink about it, because then PSP's woulda been banned. :D. When you get enough people its cool to play Socom on PSP.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    http://www.quakelive.com/

sounds like something to do at work when it comes out

its probably better to study for certs though, but a game or two doesn't hurt when you're off at lunch or tired of studying.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We have all Unreal Tournament 2004 installed on our PCs :) We even have beer in our office fridge .... don't get me wrong ... we are all grown up enough here to drink or play only after office hours (well drinking anyway)... We don't really have specific breaks .. we just do them as it fits in our current stuff we have to do .. nobody says anything if we play a bit UT or Portal as long as you don't overdo it ... We even have a office PS3 on a 60 Inch plasma .. so its all good :P :P
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I try to study in the downtime but I have worked a 12hr shift before without doing a single thing, so you need to pass the time.

Its actually nice to log into remote racks at work because it looks like I am working. Just open a bunch of putty sessions on the desktop and a workbook on the laptop. Its great because people leave you alone lol
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    games during work? hell no. I used to bring in my 360 and we would play Winning Eleven/PES soccer, and Halo on our company projector (which the company purchased from me) after hours. Unfortunately, that stopped a few years ago. Boy was that fun though.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am just lucky enough to work for a small company (17 people) where we all met (including the owner) in an Onslaught Game in Unreal Tournament ... hell I even got the job this way .. they got to know me online until they "wanted" me :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My last job was like that where you could play games if you want as long as you got your work done, but that started to change when it became obvious that the workload distribution was heavily skewed and that other sections were overloaded with work because the sections that were playing games were the ones delegating their work to the sections that were overloaded. It became an abuse of seniority and was addressed by executive management.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've worked in places where games, web comics, YouTube, blogs, etc. were strictly forbidden. I've also worked in places where they do game-nights, both on the computers and with people bringing in their Wiis or PS3s to play games on. Though, one place was special. . .

When I worked for an ISP over in Marin County, we used to stop all work twice a day to play games. The VP, the Sr. Network Engineer, and all the other systems engineers would fire up a gaming-session right before lunchtime and again before the first few people left work in the evening. We'd play anywhere from fifteen to forty-five minutes, depending on how busy things were. For the first six months or so, we played Unreal Tournament 2004, which we'd set up on a dedicated server, complete with its own public IP address so that anyone who was home sick or on vacation could log in to play. The remainder of the time, we played TrackMania Nations online, (we even had our own clan, we tagged "NOC" to all our player-names).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

No games but TV programmes and Films

When I was working in Line1/2 supporting staff for a very famous mobile phone comapny the satff would watch wheatver they wanted from their PC

I managed to watch all 6 series of Sopranos in just over 3 weeks, and got paid for doing it

Also watched numerous films and spent many hours on the internet

Soon as a call comes through you just stop what your watching and soon as you have resolved their issue go back to what you were doin

By far my most enjoyable contract, was paid the most and done the least compared to all my other IT jobs

:D

Lee H
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    empc4000xl wrote:
    we can't do anythign on the scale of having Xbox's or servers setup, but for the late show. Its not uncommon for people to have there PSP's with them. One thing that pissed me off though, is I could'nt bring in my laptop to use dynamips on it, but I was allowed to play my PSP during watch, go figure. I didn't make a stink about it, because then PSP's woulda been banned. :D. When you get enough people its cool to play Socom on PSP.

Load Linux on a PSP then load dynamips on that :P
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No. Havent really got time between 9-5 either but when we do backshift / weekends i usually watch the football or films, study etc.

In my first job i sat and played on games like zelda, desert strike etc on the emulators icon_lol.gif
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    i always keep a copy of Doom on my flash drive, failing that there's always solitaire and pinball.. not that were allowed to play games but i almost guarantee 90% of the people 'working' are looking at job sites or funny emails anyway..

im more upset that they blocked Facebook, the bastards
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    No games. There's always too much work that needs doing.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Turgon wrote:
    No games. There's always too much work that needs doing.

I agree, which is why I honestly thought the OP was kidding. When I first started I felt I had little to actually work on, but even then I took advantage of the down time and studied. Even if my employer allowed gaming, I can say for certain I wouldn't spend my free time playing games. It's just unprofessional and there are more productive things to do, IMHO.

Although I can say if I had to work 12-hour night shifts that would be a different story :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No time to play games, too busy trawling through the TE forums for snippets of information :D
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Although I can say if I had to work 12-hour night shifts that would be a different story :)

Yeah, I've always thought if I could get paid good money to work 20 hours Saturday and Sunday in a not-so-busy NOC and was allowed to play games I don't think I could decline. Get paid for 40 hours, and get 5 days off. Although I would be sad that I wasn't learning anything it would still be nice. :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ...will let you know by end of day...
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Nope... Heck, I even wrote a logon script to remove the windows games and "disallowed" certain executables in a GPO. I use Lansweeper on my network to do inventory, but it also allows me the power to set which software is authorized for use on the network. So I can see at a glance when someone has a game installed they shouldn't have....

Sometimes it's tough to be the bad guy icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've played CoD4 and Farcry on a server. icon_lol.gif
    Luckily it's not a server that gets much use.

Though honestly, when I play games at work it's generally once I'm done for the day and on my way out. It's rare though.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No games allowed here ..

I can Imagine the faces of my managers all the way up to the Group CIO "because he will know about it" if they found out that someone setup an online game in our office ..

icon_lol.gif
    I think there are more than 20 bosses between me and The Group CIO, all of them will want to kill me or whomever setup that game on the LAN.

"We have 10,000 Branches worldwide - all using standard applications"
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Way too busy during the day, and study during lunch so no time. It probably wouldn't be looked upon very well anyways....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.