Options

How often do u dine out and how much do you tip?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Just trying to see how generous and 'foody' IT folks are :)

So, how often do you go to a restraunt and how much do you tip?

I go once a month, I tip 10%.

Comments

• Options
    cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi

I Live in the UK and I may go out twice a month. I would say 10% is the norm to leave but this does waiver depending on the level of service. I went out on Saturday and the waitress was really good. My Mum and Girlfriend are vegetarian and there was no veggie option on the carvery but the waitress got a really nice veggie pie ready for both of them. Then there was no veggie gravy but she quick addressed this as well. So she was very attentive so we gave her more than 10%. I took my Mum out for Mothers day and the restaurant was really busy but they got her order wrong 3 times and the food was cold. So we complained and we all got our meals for free and we certainly did not leave a tip.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It varies really. sometimes a few times out a month - others not. i live in a city where there are a ton of restaurants which serve average food at high prices. So i dont eat out as often as i once did.

For tips. usually 10%. but if its poor service / meal then i dont tip.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Iowa: Every waitress is pregnant. Some are more pregnant than others.

At least 15%.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm the only weirdo that actually has a dollar system that I know of.

I tip 2 dollars per person no matter if I got a steak or if I got an appetizer. I don't think it matters, I want to pay on how long I've stayed and how much work the person has done. I will tip a little more if the waiter/waitress is exceptional.

I don't dine out often but occasionally the girlfriend will convince me or stupid birthdays/holidays that everyone wants to go to eat.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hypnotoad wrote:
    Iowa: Every waitress is pregnant. Some are more pregnant than others.

At least 15%.

haha, sounds like there's some contraception issue's in iowa icon_lol.gif
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    15% is customary. Goes down or up depending on level of service.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    15% is customary. Goes down or up depending on level of service.

i do 15% as well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    yea same here, everytime i go its someones birthday, so 15%....wait thats the strip club. but dining 10%
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    normally once a week at work and once a week for dinner with the wife. She does all the cooking so i'm pretty lucky. Unless the service is awful, i always try to tip 20%
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I start at 15% before the meal. If the service is good, it stays at 15%. If the service is bad, or if I start to note infractions, I aggressively drop the percentage. I've had service so bad that it dropped to 0%. I usually leave a coin in that case, so that they know that I didn't forget to tip, but I left a pittance to reflect the level of service.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I go out a few times a month currently. If service is good i always tip 20% if its just standard service he or she gets 15%.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    usually 15-20% depending on the service, I waited tables for years so I know how much it can suck.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hardly eat out any more. I've actually become a respectable cook, and I think that's taken away some of the desire. We usually just get wings, pizza, etc. if we're not cooking. When we do go out, I typically tip 20%, but I'll make adjustments as necessary. There's only been a couple of times I've bumped it up to 25% or not left a tip at all.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I rarely eat out, but when I do if I get good service I tip well, meaning 20+%. If the waitress is hot and I get shitty service I will tip decent, but not as well. If she is hot and I get great service she gets tipped more. I do not follow the same rules with guys.

Forgot, if I get really shitty service I tip like .25 cents just to say F you!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    We eat out maybe once a month, a few times more if the inlaws are in town as they are eating out fiends. We generally tip a minimum of 15% but usually closer to 20%. When with the inlaws we tip even higher because the inlaws are pretty nasty towards the waiters. So sometimes we've even done a 50% tip when the waiter was really good and friendly and the inlaws were especially bad. We always dream of being able to leave a $100 tip or $1000 tip regularly once we're out of debt.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Just remember that if the server is really busy and the kitchen is slow and crappy, then it's not the servers fault. Usually the kitchen being slow will slow down the server too and they have to respond to complaints and other stuff. She/He still needs a regular tip because they only make 2.15 an hour.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    10% as thats the norm and its usually rounded up to some whole number to save me getting a sack of loose change back. Have to check the bill first though because a lot of places will include the tip in the bill already and not mention it or have it in teeny tiny small print on the menu.

I'll go out to eat every couple of weeks at least.
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    15%, or 5 dollars, whichever is greater.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    15% for lunch
    20% for dinner

Flexibility is designed into the system depending on the quality of service.
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Usually I'll round up the tax and then double it for the tip. If the waiter/waitress gave above average service or was really friendly I'll be a little more generous. If it's a hot waitress I'll be even more generous. I've had some buddies tip a girl $50 'cause they thought she was hot. Same buddies used to tip this same girl really good all the time 'cause they thought it might help them get a chance with her LOL. I remember dining out with a group of friends on some outdoor patio and there was a racoon lurking around and this table of girls next to us kept screaming. They complained and got free dessert. When our waiter came to give us the check we joked about how we wanted free dessert like those girls. He went and talked to his manager and instead our whole meal was free. We ended up giving him a tip which was how much we would have paid for the meal anyways. He was pretty happy.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I spend a great deal of time in San Francisco and that area, and almost as much time in Vegas it seems. So tipping is something that we do a lot.

So... eat out about 3-4 times a week and tip about 20%. Or couple bucks for quick/friendly service from a coffee shop or a fast food.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    15%-20% depending on the service. Probably go out 2-3 times per week.
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    WOW.

I rarely go out to eat, who can really with the cost of everything. That being said I very rarely tip (see opening scene from reservoir dogs)

I am firm believer that if the service warrants a tip then ok, but to tip just because "society has deemed a necessity, no way" Besides who do you tip? the person that provides the service?

There are many people who work in the public that we as a society don't feel its necessary to tip but yet there are others who we feel an obligation to tip, even though they are both providing you with a service so how do you choose?

tipping = blah.
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    IT_Admin wrote:
    WOW.

I rarely go out to eat, who can really with the cost of everything. That being said I very rarely tip (see opening scene from reservoir dogs)

I am firm believer that if the service warrants a tip then ok, but to tip just because "society has deemed a necessity, no way" Besides who do you tip? the person that provides the service?

There are many people who work in the public that we as a society don't feel its necessary to tip but yet there are others who we feel an obligation to tip, even though they are both providing you with a service so how do you choose?

tipping = blah.

Servers make 2.13 an hour. Tip them.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote:
    I spend a great deal of time in San Francisco and that area, and almost as much time in Vegas it seems. So tipping is something that we do a lot.

So... eat out about 3-4 times a week and tip about 20%. Or couple bucks for quick/friendly service from a coffee shop or a fast food.

you know its funny. I went to the bay area in july to visit friends and family. I was dissatisfied with the level of service I was getting at most places. All my friends were tipping +20% REALLY?!? You waited 35 minutes for a beer, and you think thats worth a 20% tip? I notice that people in the Bay Area are quite generous with their tipping.

Im usually 15-20 depending on service. Its primarily based on the beverage system. Keep my glass full (weather its water, soda, or beer) and you will probably get a good tip.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    rickjr13rickjr13 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I generally double the tax, which in california, come out to around 14%- 15%, i'll do 20% if the service is really good, but it usually is just standard. My siblings have all been servers at one point in time, so they are pretty hardcore about tipping 20%, as they know generally how servers get treated and how much they make/get tipped.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    The entire job of the waiter/waitress could be nearly eliminated if they had touch-screens with menus on the table. You'd be sure you got exactly the right stuff. They could even put crappy games and advertising at the tables while you wait for food.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would definitely not want that. The waiters give a nice touch to the personalized service generally. Plus they can modify your order to your requirements. I don't think I would want to attend a robotic restaurant. It would be fine for fast food though.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    hypnotoad wrote:
    The entire job of the waiter/waitress could be nearly eliminated if they had touch-screens with menus on the table. You'd be sure you got exactly the right stuff. They could even put crappy games and advertising at the tables while you wait for food.

It sounds like a great idea for beer: http://www.bugsandcranks.com/the-clubhouse/jesse-pugh/possibly-the-greatest-invention-of-this-millennium/

I know snadam's all over that!

Here's the official site: http://www.thetabletap.com/web/
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    IT_Admin wrote:
    WOW.

tipping = blah.

Typically waiters and waitresses are rushed off their feet serving folks their dinner and having to put up with strange requests/ignorant people/pissed off customers etc They don't make a surperb wage and a lot of them are either college or university students who need the extra cash to eat themselves. If the service is good and you feel that you would genuinely go back again because of that service, then you should tip.

10% here and like others above it can go up depending on how friendly and prompt the service has been.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.