Google Chrome

2»

Comments

• sliptmickeysliptmickey Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The day will come when Microsoft realizes that it can't defeat Google in search market share, and Google will realize that it can't defeat Microsoft in browser share. They'll combine and dominate us all. Googlesoft anyone?? Now there's a scary thought. But about Chrome...

Downloaded and have been using since it was made available. True that it doesn't render pages properly, but neither does IE8 unless you run it in compatability mode. I'm sure that's something they'll work out with the true release version. Am not too big on the minimalistic view, but I'm sure that's it's an acquired taste. I'd like to see Google combine some of the best features of FF, IE, and Opera into their browser...at least as best they can without being sued by the vendors of the above mentioned.

I'm sure there's a Google rep reading these comments right now, taking notes.......
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Competition is not a bad thing. It drives innovation and keeps prices down and competitive.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote:
    Competition is not a bad thing. It drives innovation and keeps prices down and competitive.

And with FF and Chrome being open source, the competition can assimilate the changes faster and more easily.

There's no way there will ever be a Googlesoft because of anti-competitive/anti-monopoly laws. Whose going to stand up to that, Apple and Yahoo?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I already remove it from my PC. I found a couple of annoying problems that potentially can have major consequences for editing db information through online forms. I don't know if the problems appear for everyone if you use Google Chrome to edit for example profile here at TE make sure you tripple-check the fields.

I like the minimalistic interface and the speed a lot, yet I don't like how it renders pages (it so fast it shows the page partly before loading the entire body. I want to see the page completely, not being build up while loading). I also notice various smaller issues editing text in form text boxes like the one I'm typing in now. I will try it again when they release a new version but this beta version I cannot work with. Seems they rushed too much wanting to release it in time to compete with IE 8 (beta).
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Webmaster wrote:
    I already remove it from my PC. I found a couple of annoying problems that potentially can have major consequences for editing db information through online forms. I don't know if the problems appear for everyone if you use Google Chrome to edit for example profile here at TE make sure you tripple-check the fields.

I like the minimalistic interface and the speed a lot, yet I don't like how it renders pages (it so fast it shows the page partly before loading the entire body. I want to see the page completely, not being build up while loading). I also notice various smaller issues editing text in form text boxes like the one I'm typing in now. I will try it again when they release a new version but this beta version I cannot work with. Seems they rushed too much wanting to release it in time to compete with IE 8 (beta).

I had the same issue while editing in text boxes. I liked the speed, but its not worth the trouble at this point. I will leave this one on the shelf until a new version comes out (which probably won't be long if they want anyone to continue using Chrome).
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • determinedgermandeterminedgerman Member Posts: 168
    I think the biggest problem for me is the whole EULA issue about the copyright content that is posted in this thread. I saw that this morning on another site and just because of that Chrome will never be installed on my machine unless they revise that EULA.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Webmaster wrote:
    yet I don't like how it renders pages (it so fast it shows the page partly before loading the entire body. I want to see the page completely, not being build up while loading).
    Firefox actually has (or had. I can't find it in FF3) a setting for that. How long in ms to delay before starting to display the page. Just by tweaking that setting, people think that you've managed to speed up the browser significantly.

I wonder if the majority of the Chrome speed improvements are from setting the paint delay really low and possibly using more than 2 HTTP connections?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Webmaster wrote:
    I also notice various smaller issues editing text in form text boxes like the one I'm typing in now.
    I noticed the same thing when posting here on TE using Chrome. I wonder if the jiggly text effect is actually "a feature" that I'm not recognizing. Silverlight doesn't work on Chrome yet either, but that I can understand.

I'm only keeping Chrome installed for software testing, but not for serious use. Google is interested in finding out everything they can about what you do, and releasing their own browser (Open Source or not) is a good way to further that goal. But given how long it has taken FF to get as much market share as it has, I don't see Google's Chrome dominating the WWW community anytime soon.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pity (the EULA 'we own it all but, er, probably won't use it' issues). Off it comes....
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Ahriakin wrote:
    Pity (the EULA 'we own it all but, er, probably won't use it' issues). Off it comes....

There was something else like this recently, but I can't remember what it was. It might have been a social networking or media site, but the license essentially said they can do whatever you want with your content. There was a huge backlash and it turned out to be nothing more than overzealous lawyers (or at least that's the excuse they gave when they got caught). I'd wager that this is something similar. This news is all over the place, and they're not going to have a chance of getting a significant number of people to use this if their EULA stays as it is.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    How would they ever know what browser someone is posting from unless they owned the site or Chrome phoned-home (it's open source, right?).... so how do they enforce their new ownership of this post that i'm making on Techexams?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    As for the EULA:

“In order to keep things simple for our users, we try to use the same set of legal terms (our Universal Terms of Service) for many of our products. Sometimes, as in the case of Google Chrome, this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don’t apply well to the use of that product. We are working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome.”
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm liking it. (Using it to post this message.) The speed is what's doing it for me. It's much faster than IE, Firefox, or Opera. I guess the minimalist-approach is going to be Google's "selling" point. And, since I'm all about standardization of code and protocols that actually work, I'm happy to see another competitor in the browser-game to make TBL's team pull their hair out with new proposed standards and support. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    JDMurray wrote:
    This is my first Google Chome post!
    Ahriakin wrote:
    I really like their claims that each tab is an independent process and can
    survive other tabs crashing. With so many admin consoles now being web based Tabbing and the "reload-every" plugin for Firefox are essential to me and having a whole row of consoles go down because one crashed the browser gets quite annoying (though it is admittedly rare).
    Yes, this will solve a lot of single-threaded browser problems for me. I like seeing a new chome.exe appear each time I open a tab, and disappear when a tab is closed. Using a single-process bowser is like being back in the cooperative multitasking days of Windows 3.x. This browser will be much better for running Web apps and implementing security.

I do notice that there are a lot of FireFox 3-ish features. This is not surprising, as the FF3 team is housed on Google's Googleplex.
    Have you noticed that you can grab a tab from the original browser window and pull it out, making it an independent window, unto itself?

• KasorKasor Member Posts: 934 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I tried few time today, but not access to dl it.

I installed IE8 and want to see how well this chrome go..
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • sliptmickeysliptmickey Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:
    This is my first Google Chome post!
    Ahriakin wrote:
    I really like their claims that each tab is an independent process and can
    survive other tabs crashing. With so many admin consoles now being web based Tabbing and the "reload-every" plugin for Firefox are essential to me and having a whole row of consoles go down because one crashed the browser gets quite annoying (though it is admittedly rare).
    Yes, this will solve a lot of single-threaded browser problems for me. I like seeing a new chome.exe appear each time I open a tab, and disappear when a tab is closed. Using a single-process bowser is like being back in the cooperative multitasking days of Windows 3.x. This browser will be much better for running Web apps and implementing security.

I do notice that there are a lot of FireFox 3-ish features. This is not surprising, as the FF3 team is housed on Google's Googleplex.
    Have you noticed that you can grab a tab from the original browser window and pull it out, making it an independent window, unto itself?

I had read that, and just tried it myself. I like it. On the reverse side, you can take said tab and reintegrate it back into another open Chrome browser window...what'll they think of next.
    ...what'll they think of next.
    Toast that falls butter-side up every time. Created by Google, of course.

• capy_12090capy_12090 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I couldn't find any way to change the default text size in Chrome. Sure, you can use text zoom, but it's annoying having to do that on every page. Also, the smallness of the interface didn't do much for me, and I won't leave my Firefox plugins. I do give them credit for making it fast.
    Everyone on Digg is whining about no Ad Block Plus. Can you imagine ABP on a Google browser? Oh the irony...
    Looks like Microsoft is taking Chrome far more seriously than the rest of us. Sounds like they're thinking that it's not the product, itself, that's the threat, but the marketing juggernaut behind it that is Google.

• TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Slowhand wrote:
    Looks like Microsoft is taking Chrome far more seriously than the rest of us. Sounds like they're thinking that it's not the product, itself, that's the threat, but the marketing juggernaut behind it that is Google.

Sounds like MS is pulling their hair out because of Chrome, it's funny how MS gets all up in arms when Google is mentioned in anything.

Now all we need is Google to start up their own Linux distro for desktops and we'll be in business :P

Also I'm waiting on the Linux version of Chrome and a Adblock plus extension (which I think Google would have some problems with though).
    What an uproar this agreement has caused. And for an Open Source product! I can't wait until Google writes it own Linux variant and wants everybody to use it too.
  • wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    Boooo, go away Google! Stay away from my firefox and stick to search algorithms! Worry about Cuil instead!
    wat08 wrote:
    Worry about Cuil instead!
    What? People are still using that thing?
    tiersten wrote:
    wat08 wrote:
    Worry about Cuil instead!
    What? People are still using that thing?
    It's an interesting, uh, "experiment."
    What? A Google product that has left perpetual beta?!!