What browser do you use and why?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Now, I can tell IE is the dominant browser, but let's see if that proves wrong.

I use IE.

Why? Because Microsoft is addictive :)

Comments

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Firefox, love the extensions even if it can be a bit memory hungry :)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    +1 for firefox.

I like its layout, it seems very stable for my use and the extensions available for it.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    Iceweasel (aka Firefox on Debian).

Definitely agree with it being memory hungry, but there's no replacement for the variety of plugins it has.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    FF3 because of the extensions and the fact that I can get it on other systems.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote:
    FF3 because of the extensions and the fact that I can get it on other systems.

+1
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Combination of IE and Firefox.

IE for compatibility with predominantly Microsoft web apps. (Works better for OWA, etc.)

Firefox for better user interface, and extensions that make it easier to surf securely (NoScript).
    Good luck to all!
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Combination of IE and Firefox.

IE for compatibility with predominantly Microsoft web apps. (Works better for OWA, etc.)

Firefox for better user interface, and extensions that make it easier to surf securely (NoScript).

+1

Sometimes I have both open at the same time.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IE7

I used to like Netscape way back when but when they tried to put too many features into it I went to IE. Have tried several Mozilla derivatives and just don't like the way they work. Occasionally I will run Opera on my lab machine.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I run Opera at home and at work, with IE8 (only at work) and Firefox available to testing some things out. I used to really like the plugins for Firefox but eventually found them to be more of a nuisance than anything.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    FF 3

I just got used to it, it works fine :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Firefox 3.

I use Internet Explorer for some MSDN videos.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Konquerer in linux because I like it.

Firefox in windows because I like it.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    FF and IE

Half the stuff i admin runs better on one than the other.
  • leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    ff3 almost exclusively... I just like it love the layout/options etc... and it's fast.
    Dustin Leefers
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I use IE primarily, but will sometimes jump over to Firefox when I come across a site that moans about IE or is written in code with Firefox in mind. I have been giving Chrome a try, and I'm hoping that a full release isn't too far off.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    I am a straight Lynx browser guy, it is the fastest way to browse.

But when I feel a little need for Java or HTML, i try to stick with Firefox, I must say 3 seems to be their best release yet. Sometimes I am forced at work to use IE due to some site that will only work right with it, like online outlook access.

But i have been trying Chrome the last few days, it hasnt really impressed me all that much, its like they took IE,Opera,And Firefox and kind of mushed some stuff together. They have not brought anything new to tthe table, It's open source which I am all for and I would like to see it take off, but I am just not seeing it happen.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    FF3 by choice, IE when needed
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Netscape 3 Gold.
    -Daniel
  • rickjr13rickjr13 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IE for work, FF3 for play (Home). I'm playing with google chrome right now, like the previous poster said, doesn't seem like anything new. i've come across several plug-in problems, mostly with flash based games on several websites. I do however like the ability to open up several websites when you initially open chrome up. i dont have to waste time opening up new tabs for all my sites that i want to see real quick.
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    FF3 all the way.

For those of you that still use IE there's no reason for you to, FF has IE Tab that makes FF use IE's rendering engine. Search for "internet explorer" when searching for it.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    But why Talic? I already have a good functioning browser called IE - why would I want to use something that mimics it and is slow?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Talic wrote:
    FF3 all the way.

For those of you that still use IE there's no reason for you to, FF has IE Tab that makes FF use IE's rendering engine. Search for "internet explorer" when searching for it.

Sorry, tons of web apps that don't work nearly as well in FF than IE, Outlook Web Access as a great example.

The mere fact that you can't run ActiveX controls, which is one of the things that makes Firefox more secure, is also common sense proof that if a site looks better or has improved functionality when running an ActiveX control with no Firefox equivalent, it will look and/or function better in IE.

Sorry, but OWA is downright ugly in FF compared to IE.
    Good luck to all!
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    This thread will just provoke arguments. What browser somebody uses is up there with favoured text editor, OS, CPU brand and games console for rabid enthusiasm.

I use <Item 1> because it has <Item 1 feature>. I think people that use <Item 2> are idiots because it can't do <Item 1 feature> even though it has better support for <Item 2 feature>. Fill in the blanks for your relevant choices :P
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Talic wrote:
    FF3 all the way.

On the same note, if someone is using IE, there's no reason to switch to Firefox. As tiersten said, we're listing what we use and the reasons we use it. I've always been opposed to "software for the sake of software", and I like to use the apps I use because of the features they offer. At this time, there's nothing Firefox offers that is attractive enough for me to switch to using it full-time.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Netscape 3 Gold.

You're kidding, right?
    tiersten wrote:
    This thread will just provoke arguments. What browser somebody uses is up there with favoured text editor, OS, CPU brand and games console for rabid enthusiasm.

I use <Item 1> because it has <Item 1 feature>. I think people that use <Item 2> are idiots because it can't do <Item 1 feature> even though it has better support for <Item 2 feature>. Fill in the blanks for your relevant choices :P

Everybody knows that what browser you use directly relates to how good of a human being you are. :P
    Good luck to all!
  • wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    Firefox. Mainly because it's pretty.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Everybody knows that what browser you use directly relates to how good of a human being you are. :P

Yeah, right. If that were true, I'd be using AOL 3.0.
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Version 9.51
    Build 2061
    Opera Linux i686 en

because of speed and low resources
    screenshot
  • mrjawbonesmrjawbones Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Firefox. Although there are a multitude of great add-ons for it, the NoScript extension is reason enough by itself.
    WIP: CEH
    Next: CCNA

Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish.