What browser do you use and why?

2»

Comments

• TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    RussS wrote:
    But why Talic? I already have a good functioning browser called IE - why would I want to use something that mimics it and is slow?

Because if you use Firefox and run into a page or something that doesn't render right on it then you would need to open up IE, copy and paste the URL and hope it sends you back where you were at. Sometimes doesn't work that way so you would need to go to the main page, which can be a hassle depending on how many links you're in. With IE tab you just click on the little Firefox icon on the bottom and it refreshes in Firefox using IE's rendering engine.

As for "just use IE argument" its pretty much been answered with the replies about add-ons.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Everybody knows that what browser you use directly relates to how good of a human being you are. :P

I thought it was in relation to e-**** size. :P
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Talic wrote:
    RussS wrote:
    But why Talic? I already have a good functioning browser called IE - why would I want to use something that mimics it and is slow?

Because if you use Firefox and run into a page or something that doesn't render right on it then you would need to open up IE, copy and paste the URL and hope it sends you back where you were at. Sometimes doesn't work that way so you would need to go to the main page, which can be a hassle depending on how many links you're in. With IE tab you just click on the little Firefox icon on the bottom and it refreshes in Firefox using IE's rendering engine.

As for "just use IE argument" its pretty much been answered with the replies about add-ons.

I use Firefox, but if you don't seem to realize that some people don't want the extensions, and there are extensions available for IE, too.

Again, it's a preference thing. I use both, although I'll use Firefox if the page renders it properly. But sometimes, native IE is necessary.

The bottom line is it's good to have multiple good choices. I like IE7 fine, too.
    Good luck to all!
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I realize with my first post I woke up all the IE "defenders" when I really didn't want to start the "e-pee" argument. I probably worded it a bit harshly when I was trying to promote IE tab. Even though I much prefer FF3 over IE7 I still think people should use whatever they prefer. I mostly outlined IE tab for people that do unnecessary browser switching.

Took me a second to figure out why I was getting some flack for my first post, I worded like it was supposed to replace IE even though it isn't made for that icon_redface.gif
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_cool.gif

Ahhh Talic - you missed the pertinent point .....

RussS wrote:

I have tried many different variations of Mozilla over the years and with the odd exception find it to be slower than the IE of that period. That is not a percieved slowness, but actually timed slowness and includes initial opening and page rendering.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use that fancy Oprah browser. It connects to people in ways you wouldn't understand. It has a sense for your feelings.

And I'm waiting on it to give me a new car.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am signed up to AOL and use the built-in browser!

In all seriousness, I use FF3 the majority of time but switch to IE when I need to for compatibility.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • marco71marco71 Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    Mishra wrote:
    I use that fancy Oprah browser. It connects to people in ways you wouldn't understand. It has a sense for your feelings.

But does it let you find the real you?
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    dynamik wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    FF3 because of the extensions and the fact that I can get it on other systems.

+1

+2

Love the addons like NoScript, AdBlock, Smart Bookmarks for the bookmark toolbar, SANS Infocon monitor, weather, Foxmarks synchronizer, fireftp, etc. Internet Explorer was stagnant for way too long and they are still playing catch up to firefox.

I would never use IE if it wasn't for the parts of Microsoft's website that basically force you to use IE. I would like to be able to do virtual labs, watch videos, etc on microsoft.com from my Ubuntu desktop running FF3.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RussS wrote:

Slow compared to what? Many benchmark tests have shown FF3 to be faster then IE7 (among other browsers). And the IE extension is really meant for compatibility more than anything, I wouldn't use it for general browsing.

I just feel that FF3 is a much better product with vastly superior functionality. I use it extensively at work (anyone ever use Firebug/FirePHP/YSlow?) and has increased my productivity due to its flexibility.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    binarysoul wrote:
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Netscape 3 Gold.

You're kidding, right?

Lol this is so funny. Netscape. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    IE7.

It comes with my PC and doesn't have any problems.

I hate loading additional software.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IE, my users don't use anything else.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I use mostly Firefox. At school I use IE though.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • steve77uksteve77uk Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Safari - use OS X at home

Mixture of IE7 and FF3 at work (with Safari for Windows because I like the RSS reader)
    A+ | Network+ | MCSA 2003 | MCSE 2003 | MCSA: Messaging 2003 | VCP 410

Now need 2008 Enterprise AND Exchange 2010 :cry:
  • ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    marco71 wrote:
    Google Chrome anyone? icon_rolleyes.gif

I was going to mention this one. When its released I can't wait to see how this will perform something I am very excited about.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Zaits wrote:
    marco71 wrote:

I was going to mention this one. When its released I can't wait to see how this will perform something I am very excited about.
    Its already out. They've done a patch as well to sorta fix the carpetbombing attack.
  • jmanrtajmanrta Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    marco71 wrote:

just started messing around with google chrome at work, so far it seems like a really nice browser. I like how when you open a new tab it shows your history as preview links. It's really fast too.
  • deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    Chrome is ugly IMO.
  • rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    One of the things I noticed is that the dev tools in Chrome are ripped STRAIGHT OUT of Safari. Not that I mind since they're pretty decent tools, but gotta give credit where credit is due...
    rbutturini wrote:
    One of the things I noticed is that the dev tools in Chrome are ripped STRAIGHT OUT of Safari. Not that I mind since they're pretty decent tools, but gotta give credit where credit is due...
    Chrome = WebKit
    jmanrta wrote:
    marco71 wrote:

just started messing around with google chrome at work, so far it seems like a really nice browser. I like how when you open a new tab it shows your history as preview links. It's really fast too.
    Mozilla are working on speeding up Firefox. A combination of XUL, XPCOM and loads of legacy junk in Gecko has made is slower than it should be.