When did you first touch a computer and why?

Comments

• cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    TechJunky wrote:
    Doh! That would have saved me hours of learning who America's Presidents were.

I guess it was a good lesson learned. =)

Yup, that game is the reason I know Spiro Agnew was Nixon's VP
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    cacharo wrote:
    TechJunky wrote:
    Doh! That would have saved me hours of learning who America's Presidents were.

I guess it was a good lesson learned. =)

Yup, that game is the reason I know Spiro Agnew was Nixon's VP
    This is ending up as a major sidetrack to this thread. Sorry!

The questions were of little use to be honest. Its not like kids couldn't get out a bit of paper and work out the correct answers. Its what everybody else had to do if they weren't in the US :)

As for first time it was either an Apple ][ or a clone IBM PC. I know both were around when I was growing up. I just don't know which one was first.
  • DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My Dad got a Vic-20 sometime in the 80s and I liked playing with the cassette drive. Icopied a couple of programs out of the book but didn't understand them...

10 print "Hi"
    20 goto 10

was about all i could come up with on my own.
    WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    roswald wrote:
    I couldn't remember the name, but I just figured out that it was a TI-99/4A.

I remember playing an awesome game called "Hunt the Wumpus" when I was a little kid. I can still hear the theme song in my head.

After that it was an Apple IIe, then a Macintosh Performa. I loved the Number Munchers, Oregon trail, and after that I was hooked.

That sounds like the game MULE
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    ok for me...

first was

commodore 64 in like 81, then it was 286, 386, 486..... you know the rest of the story.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Apple III
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    1990 (4th grade): got 2x TRS-80 (?) portable model -- 1.1k RAM, ran BASIC. The world's first PDA? (http://www.vintagecalculators.com/assets/images/RadioShackTRS80PC1_2.jpg). Learned BASIC from dad's college text book - a Shelly Cashman book.

1991: VIC-20, 16k RAM, tape drive. 300 baud modem that didn't really work. Had a tape drive and hooked to a TV with an RF modulator -- like the kind you used with an Atari 2600 :) This was a 10 year old computer, but then again I was only 10.

1992: Apple IIGS ROM 1 - Woz Edition with 4 megs RAM, 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives (360k and 720k, respectively). Apple OS 6 -- the precursor to OS 7 (and ultimately OS 8,9 and X). 320x240 resolution. Ran Hypercard & AppleWorks. Normal mode was 2.8 MHz, but had a compatibility mode at 1 MHz. Learned ASM.

1993: built a 386 SX (16 MHz) that didn't work for 8 months with my dad -- who woulda thought a bad RLL/MFM hard drive cable could kill a mother board? I actually had Windows 95 beta's running on this thing with 4 megs RAM (or was it 8?). AOL 2.0, Windows 3.1, Dos 6, Clicky AT keyboard. Serial mouse. SB16. Okidata Microline and Apple Imagewriter II. 14.4 modem circa 1995. VB 3.0!!! Borland C++ 3.0. Big red power switch. Turbo button. Eventually I think I had a 40 MHz 386DX but it was so powerful the FBI came and took it (wink wink).
  • remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I would say the first time I touched one was around 1982 or 83. It was a Commodore 16. My father bought it for me for x-mas. I was like 11 at the time. I started teaching myself Basic programming but then my computer went on the fritz and I wouldn't get back into it till 2003. Long time I know. I was really side tracked. But now I am in it for life.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    up, down, up, down, b, a, b, a, start.

Don't you mean up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right B, A Start? :P icon_wink.gif
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Does the silly "Basic Programming" "game" for the Atari 2600 count? It had these weird keypad controllers that you had to buy for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC_Programming

Actually, it might have been a little bit before this...the first one that I remember was an early TRS...we had one in the whole school in 4th grade I think...

The first "computer" that I owned was a TI 99/4A...this was followed pretty quickly by an Apple IIe, which lasted for many years.

Does anyone remember the game "Wavy Navy"?

The first "hard disk" that I ever owned was for the Apple IIe. It had a whopping 10MB of storage space, was 1'x6"x6" in a hard external case, and cost my father somewhere north of $1.5k. This was around 1987-ish....

MS
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    either the Apple IIe at school, or some old as machine complete with 12" or even smaller monocrhome screen and dot matrix printer...it was my dads for work, so I seldom touched it. I cant remember which came first. Then he got an IBM compatible, and Joe Montana Football and Carmen Sandiego came into play :) so you could say I touched PC's for games, but I always liked tinkering around with them.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My parents were poor as hell but scraped by to send my brother and I to a great elementary school. They had state of the art computers. The Pentium I came out in 1993, when I was eight. They had a whole computer lab of them - enough for every student in a class to be able to use one. We played a lot of educational games but we also learned how computers worked. I was a gamer so I was really interested in how computers functioned. It sort of took off from there.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    My father had a 486 that we didn't use very much until he installed Doom2 then came all the gaming, I mostly watched but it was still very cool. I also remember surfing the net with it using AOL and chatting with people in the AOL chat room, ah those were the days. I also remember it launched AOL so slow and I would get frustrated that it was doing it so slow. I think I was around 10 at this time.

Then we eventually upgraded to a Compaq Athlon machine and thats when I eventually got my own computer from a off brand dealer. I used that to play a lot of Diablo 2 and such. Then I upgraded to an MMO called Dark Age of Camelot and thats when I started to build my own computers. I wanted a extra computer on the cheap to use as a "bot" machine to give my main character buffs to be more effective in pvp and pve.

So I guess I can contribute my IT career to an MMO icon_lol.gif
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmmm - does working in a data centre with punch cards count?

That was about 1980. In '82 I started working at a retailer that had a huge data centre and used terminals. We started selling computers in about '84 and sold Sinclair ZX & commodores.
    My first owned PC was a Commodore PET. Owned an Apple Lisa along the way but never really was much into them.
    When employed as an executive chef I was given a Digital with 3.1 on it - upgraded it to W98 before trashing it. First home PC I really used was a HP box with W95.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    Err uh? Well I was born 12/31/89, and the first time I used a computer was in kindergarden to play Rescue Rangers dos game :D so IDK the make of the PC and not the OS Windows 3.1 or eariler i would assume idk but it was windows 95.
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cbigbrick wrote:
    High School January 1984

To learn BASIC

I can't remember a thing about the class.

Same here, except I think I beat you by a year, it was 1983. Weren't they Apple 2e or something? Same year one buddy got a C64 and we'd stay up all night playing Jumpman! icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1996, Apple IIe. I played a math game. I was hooked from then on.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
  • draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Early 80's, I think is was '83 and it was an Apple IIe for school. Then came a C64 in mid eighties, gaming and programming.

Typical geek path after that, 286,486, p1, P3, p4, core2duo, etc.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    First PC I touched was back when I was 13, I'm currently 20. It was an old Acer PC running Windows 98.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    zx814.jpg

Bomber on the Sinclair zx81. How I loved that game. Took 5 mins to load from a tape.

How sad icon_redface.gif

Still, I'm not from the punch card era I suppose icon_lol.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    95' for P0rn and Geocities website creator.
  • IgloodudeIgloodude Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought the first one we had was an apple II Unicorn, but after googling, I think I just made it up. Played Oregon trail and if anyone can remember the name of the oriental trading game with ships, that would be great.

Was it Tai-pan?

I think the first computer I touched was probably a Vic-20, back in maybe 8th grade. Ended up getting a TI-99/4a and cassette tape drive storage, took a computer class in high school that used TRS-80 Model 3/4, and got issued a 286 at USNA; haven't been without a computer since.
    Next up: MS Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (70-642), CCNA (640-816)
  • henserljhenserlj Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A VIC-20 from my uncle when he upgraded to a Commodore 64 :D

After that, I inherited his 64 when he again upgarded to the Commodore 128.

Also had an Apple 800XL (?) I think but don't remember.

I remember sitting for hours typing in code from the Commodore 64 magazine and debugging it just to get a lightening bolt to flash on the screen.

Then a 386SX 25MHz with a Turbo button! icon_cool.gif

I miss my turbo button icon_sad.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    henserlj wrote:

That button was a good marketing gimmick. Except for supporting really old games with timing issues, there was never a reason not to run in Turbo Mode.
  • 120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    JDMurray wrote:
    henserlj wrote:

That button was a good marketing gimmick. Except for supporting really old games with timing issues, there was never a reason not to run in Turbo Mode.

I used to turn off turbo when I would win at Solitaire so the cards would bounce at a speed I could see. icon_smile.gif

The first computer I remember using was one that my dad had built from parts from Jameco (I think that was the right company) That would have been around '88.
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I feel owned already considering many response pre-date the 80's.

1986 IBM PC XT 8088, 1Mhz, 512k RAM, 20MB HDD, two 5.25" floppy drives, and VGA CRT screen.

It was the first computer I ever had. It was also the first computer I ever disassembled and reassembled without my dad knowing about it! :D Cost somewhere over $3k, but my dad's work paid for it. I learned MS DOS and played Hack on it.
  • nescotorresnescotorres Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was just thinking about "my first" and searched out a place to post it....

My first was my grandpa's Timex Sinclair 1000, around '82 or '83...I remember him paying $99 and being excited that everyone would one day have a computer. We would spend hours typing up programs in BASIC then saving them to a storage cassette tape. My favorite program, backgammon would take about 8 min. to load haha...it wasn't much, the only storage was cassette tapes, and you had to use a tv as a monitor, but it piqued my interest as a 9 year old. He passed away in early '95, and as I think of the exponential changes in tech since then and think he would be in heaven if he were still around:)
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My dad was going to College, around 1983 or 1984 (I was like 4 years old), and my older brother and I were visiting him one day. He showed us something called a Commodore 64. We had no idea what all the different keys did, all we cared about is that we could play games. :D That weekend we also found his roommate's stash of Playboy mags in the bathroom closet...LOL!

I had been used to Macs and such in elementary school for playing cool games like Oregon Trail, Word/Number munchers. In 1995 while in 9th grade, I was at a friend's house one night, and they were playing Doom. It was the first time I had ever seen it. I remember the lights were off, and we were playing the level where the Cyberdemon was chasing you and shooting rockets at you.
    They told me that it was possible to play online as well. I was hooked. For Christmas that year my dad bought us a Packard Bell computer with only 32 MB or RAM, and a 850MB hard drive. He tasked me with putting it together, and getting it to work. This is when I REALLY started learning about computers, and how they worked.

1998. I had graduated from high school, and was going to a well know tech school. The previous year I had connected to the internet for the first time, and started having conflicts with my dad because I had loaded Linux on his computer, and messed up the master boot record (which I didn't know how easy it was to fix at the time). Obviously it was time for me to get my own machine. There was a guy there who was like a student teacher who would tutor folks, and was pretty smart. I picked his brain whenever I could. I told him that I wanted to build my own system. He recommended some parts, and some stuff. I remember spending large parts of several paychecks on parts, but soon I had my first built computer built around an Iwill XA100 Plus motherboard. 350Mhz AMD processor.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1983 - I was 5 years old and we bought a Texas Instruments TI-99 that hooked up to the TV and used audio cassette tapes for storage. I used it to play Parsec (Kind of like Asteroids) and later to type in game programs in Basic. My dad subscribed to a computer programming magazine that had the entire code for several games and you had to type in each line of code while the tape was recording, once you had finished recording, you could rewind the tape and load the game into memory to play it....Good times icon_smile.gif

1991 - Our first "PC" was a Packard Bell 386 with Windows 3.0 and DOS 5.something. The rest is history....
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...