Ticketing Systems

macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
What Ticketing systems do you use at your office and why? We don't really use anything where I am at. I just want to see where the industry is at on this.

Comments

• SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    If you want to try something free give spiceworks a shot. I love this program for all the things it does, and it's free.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I did desktop support back in 02-03 we used Siebel 7. It sucked balls too.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Remedy...no idea why. I work at a network management office, so the tickets are submitted by desktop support people and whatnot, when they determine it to be a network problem. A lot of the times when they run out of ideas, they just forward it to us anyways, though.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From experience with them...

Lockheed: Remedy
    Northrop: Peregrine ServiceCenter

Hopefully that's not confidential. <_< >_>
    *glances out window*
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    From experience with them...

Lockheed: Remedy
    Northrop: Peregrine ServiceCenter

Hopefully that's not confidential. <_< >_>
    *glances out window*

It's OK, we're both in trouble if that is..I work for the DIA. haha.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We're using Web Help Desk.

http://www.webhelpdesk.com

Stumbled on it a while back and absolutely love it. Completely web based and had it up and running within a matter of minutes. Connects to our SQL cluster. Easy to configure. Email based communications available.

Absolutely awesome; and cheap for that matter!
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I use cerebellum 1.0 .....(it's all in my brain)

I'm a one man show and have never used a ticketing system before icon_redface.gif. I've been meaning to set something up to get some experience with one.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use cerebellum 1.0 .....(it's all in my brain)

I'm a one man show and have never used a ticketing system before icon_redface.gif. I've been meaning to set something up to get some experience with one.

Give Spiceworks a shot; it's pretty slick.
  • QbeQbe Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Our team had never used any sort of ticketing system. Our company is moving to Remedy...someday...but that's all pie in the sky. I did some looking around and picked RT (http://bestpractical.com/rt):

-- it's free,
    -- hardware requirements aren't too high,
    -- it's pretty easy to configure, and
    -- it's Perl.

We're only using it among our own team (5 people) so it's not a major deployment or mission-critical, just a nice simple ticketing/project tracking system.
  • sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    macdude wrote:
    I just want to see where the industry is at on this.

Define "Industry" as well as how it would be used. I work in the VoIP industry and we had to build our own ticketing system for our customer service reps. Because we encounter all sorts of problems 90% on the client side - who tend to have their own ISP issues - we needed specialized fields.

If you're in the Managed Service Provider industry, most ticketing systems must be custom made whereas if you're solely doing LAN based IT projects, theoretically you could get with something like Spiceworks - of which I don't like because of their reporting back to their internals and flooding you with advertisements not to mention they're not a bonafide ticketing system anyway - it's a monitoring system.

Here is a link to some open source solutions but the truth is, building your own gives you that granularity to control, add, change specifics you may want to see.
    http://www.opensourcehelpdesklist.com/

I've seen no ticketing system give me support on SBC based information/topics. And if you have to ask what an SBC is, in my regards, there you have the answer why it made more sense for us to write our own. Alongside this, we needed fields like "Clients POTS line", "Circuit ID", "Network Provider" and things you wouldn't find in any COTS product.

Bottom line, have a look at what's around and build your own or modify an existing one to your liking if you're capable of doing so[/url]
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently using Remedy, but we're switching to Peregrine.

Any advice? Any quirks about peregrine that I need to know about?
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We use supportworks. Its Ok and does a job but not great by any means.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    We use AdventNet ServiceDesk Plus. Remedy is popular and if we didn't already have Advent we would have preferred to use Remedy.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Siebel makes me sad where my heart is, we had to use it at CompUSA. Every time I drive by their office in Emeryville, with the big logo on the side of the building, I get arsonistic tendencies.

Now, for what I've actually used that I liked. I've worked with Remedy, Kaseya, Autotask, and ConnectWise, which all were quite useful. Of the four, I'd say that ConnectWise gives you plenty of ticketing-bang for your buck. . . lots and lots of bucks. Kaseya was also very useful for inventory tasks, server management, etc., through the use of the Kaseya agent.

I've also heard very good things about Spiceworks. A former co-worker of mine that now is IT director for a video game development studio recently started using Spiceworks, and won't stop raving about it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    drthtater wrote:
    Currently using Remedy, but we're switching to Peregrine.

Any advice? Any quirks about peregrine that I need to know about?

Occasionally the search feature crashes the program, which is annoying. I generally have to take another way to access the search feature. Don't know why this is yet. It happens to a number of guys in our group.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    I used remedy a long time ago, I didn't care for it too much. I worked at one shop where the ticketing system sucked bad and where I am now, we have no ticketing system and can't convince the boss to go for one.
  • drthtaterdrthtater Member Posts: 120 ■■■□□□□□□□
    macdude wrote:
    I used remedy a long time ago, I didn't care for it too much. I worked at one shop where the ticketing system sucked bad and where I am now, we have no ticketing system and can't convince the boss to go for one.

Not even a free one?
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Remedy, TrackIT, & Peregrine ServiceCenter
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Remedy, Peregrine, and a couple of in house apps (managenow, impact, etc)
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SalesForce.com
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    Have used Trackit! and TechExcel before.

win2k4
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We use track-it
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Back when I was working on a help desk we used Remedy. I liked it.

I'm also a one man show now, don't use anything atm. Don't see the need to, unless I felt like creating an SLA for myself.
  • ChevelleChevelle Member Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote:
    We use track-it
    Same here.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Helpstar.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915

Siebel is a ten ton hammer. A hammer that sucks balls.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    good ole Remedy
  • macdudemacdude Member Posts: 173
    Thanks for all of the responses, looks like I have found some goods, that I can toss up on lab and play with.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    In the recent past, it was Issue-Trak. Its not the greatest, but an ex boss was talked into it by one of his drinking buddies who had used it in the past.