Fallout 3 - Welcome to Wasteland again...

2»

Comments

• KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Finished the Megaton quest. I like the evil route you can pick for that one. ;)

That was one VERY NICE mushroom.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just bought it today. But I'm out of state and will begin playing when I get home Sunday. Really looking forward to playing from all the good things I've been hearing.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will eventually pick this one up. I am looking forward to playing it, but have a few games on my list beforehand.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Picking it up this weekend. I made the mistake of starting Fallout during my finals week my freshman year of college. Fortunately I don't have to deal with that crap anymore!
  • ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    OK, so I just played for total over 20 hours this weekend....and I'm very disapointed with this game.

True, I didn't finish everything, there is still more contents to explore but the game is getting boring every hour. I don't know if it's just me, but at some point it becames a doom-like killing rather than good old fallout.

I'm done with it. I think I've spent enough time with it to have some sort of a opinion, so if you haven't pick it up yet here are my thoughts:

PROs
    - Graphics - truly looks beautiful, great attention to details, very smooth
    - Climate - Somewhat they managed to keep the look-and-feel of post nuclear world
    -

CONs
    - At some point it became soo easy - You just look at your map, the marker shows you which direction you have to go to reach your point, you kill some creatures on your way there, and that's it. At no time during my play I found myself in a place where I completely don't know what to do. Just follow the compass and you will always find your way around.

- Limited number of creatures - It's disapointing that you meet constantly the same type of creatures, they should have at least given them different characteristic/behaviors

- No turn/tactics - Let's face it, VATS is a joke. movies in it are just distracting, and leave you with very little room for tactics. Remember in Fallout 2, you'd shoot somebody and than calculate enough AP to hide behind the corner, fights were more organized (again Fallout should have remained a strategy rather than action game)

- Limited world - I know, you can freely cruise thru the wasteland, so what? There are no big city full of stores and quests, just some small villages and locations. Very limiting. What I loved about Fallout 2 was that every city was a different story, style and quest oriented ( remember New Reno?)

... Overall it's not a bad game. It's just average. But average is not what I've expected from Fallout3. 8 Years was surely enough to create a great product.. What went wrong? My personal opinion is that the effort of making this game playable on PS3 and XBOX killed the system... I'm a hardcore PC guy, and not having anything against consoles, but there is no way to play a good strategy on a ps3 without a mouse and keyboard, and by trying to force Fallout into console world they ruined PC experience....

Wow, that was a long one....
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
  • ArveanArvean Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    FYI,

I'm willing to sell my original copy of Fallout 3 ( purchased 10/28/08 -5PM ) for $35 - and that includes shipping - paypal preferred...
    No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
    meh, I have had a much better experience. So far I'm level 13 and I've explored much of the wasteland, but I'm nowhere near done. The vaults I've come across were both interesting and horrifically eerie, there have been tons of monsters from the previous fallout games(raiders, super mutants, deathclaws, scorpions, etc) and a lot of nice additions like the Mutant Behemoth and mutant bears. ;)

There are so many sidequests and places to visit that I feel I will be playing this game for the next month. Visited Dunwick in the SW corner of the map? Maybe you should.

The humor has made me laugh quite a bit. The Nuka-cola girl(and her comment about what Quantum, lol), Moira of Craterside supply, GOAT test, Bittercup, the robot butler and his numerous jokes, etc.
    http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/imamember12/hilarious.jpg

"Two cannibals were eating a clown when one looked up and said; Hey, does this taste funny to you?"
    icon_lol.gif

The skeletons can be amusing, as I laughed when I saw a car:
    1. It had hit a tree.
    2. Two skeletons were there; one in the drivers seat slumped over, the other several feet away from the car.
    3. ???
    4. Profit!

How can you not get a little smirk on your face when you walk out of the vault for the first time and slightly to the left is a ledge overlooking the vast ruined landscape with a signpost reading "scenic view"?
    The game is incredibly atmospheric and exciting. I nearly wet myself when I found myself in front of the capital building, only to get drawn into a war between raiders and a large group of super mutants who were fighting on the steps.

Luckily there are plenty of weapons available in this game. Rocket launchers, pistols and laser weaponry, custom made weapons like the Deathclaw gauntlet and Rock-it-launcher(fires anything you put in it, like books and random junk).
    Have you been to the Museum of history or Technology? There's so much american history packed into those places that I really felt like I was in Washington D.C. I'm currently running around using a rifle used by Lincoln. :D

I've found VAT to be pretty amazing, if not hilarious at times where you can blow the head off a ghoul that's running at you, then watch it's body fly past in slow motion. VATs helps alot when fighting enemies that are vast, giving you the advantage in hitting them.
    The humor can be dark at times, but that is how Fallout is. I'm nowhere near done with this game, and if you aren't then I suggest you sit down and play more or explore the capital wasteland. :)

10/10
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm sort of inclined to side with Arvean on this one. The combat feels clunky and repetitive. There really isn't much variety in the enemies. You can break down nearly every encounter to something that shoots at you or something that rushes you for melee attacks. For example, when fighting vicious dogs, radroaches, whatever those things in the tunnels are called, etc., you just keep going through the same motions. They may have different names and shapes, but all you ever have to do is back-peddle and fire away.

The setting is boring. I knew it was going to be a post-apocalyptic world, but I was really hoping they'd find a way to work a little variety into the scenery. It's been nothing but dirty building, barren landscape, grungy tunnel, and repeat. All the quests feel like chores. All you ever do is run back and forth and kill a few enemies along the way. There's only a few interesting characters. Most are forgettable, and you never see them again. The story also leaves a lot to be desired. It's about as straight-forward and predictable as it could be.

I'm not saying it's a terrible game or anything like that. I've laughed a few times and thought some things were interesting. Those moments are just too few and far between. While the game is technically impressive, it just hasn't been fun. I don't know if I'm just getting old or if I've played so many games that at this point I've sort of seen it all. Going through some mindless, repetitive task to marginally advance the story just isn't a satisfying experience to me. I'd give this a 7/10.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree. I am playing it and within the first two hours, it's boring me already. The towns just feel really boring and the attack system is really boring. Felt like I wasted $50. Bleh...
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I disagree, I feel bethesda have done a pretty damm good job with the Fallout genre. Considering they had to take on the challenge of fulfilling the fans wishes and enlight the past hype which existed previously with Black isle's Van Buren.

The setting is fantastic, the game makes you feel isolated, the terrain and sense of hopelessness is captured well and I love how you can shape your own destiny in this game similar to previous fallout games.

I like the VAT's system think it was excellently implemented and I have high praise for Bethesda i'm sitting here and work anticipating my next Fallout 3 session.

Do I wan't to return to the classic isometric days of previous fallouts? maybe, interplay ( blackisle) produced two fantastic games which I consider them to be my best games of all time.

But for now fallout has evolved and congratulations to Bethesda for keeping the Fallout genre alive and for giving me more sleepness nights and ruined social life.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm surprised so many of you are disappointed with the game. I love it and can't wait to play it some more!
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've heard many people enjoy this game, but it's "too short".

I just picked up Fable 2, so I don't have time for Fallout 3 just yet. icon_lol.gif
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Instead of listening to other people I would say pick up the game sit down and they generate your own opinion.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mixed reviews then?

So is this game kind of like mass effect? i dont mean its story of anything but they way you can continually explore everything (well almost?)
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    I liked Mass Effect much, much better. That's one of my favorite games of all time.

Did you play Oblivion? Fallout 3 was also developed by Bethesda and uses the Oblivion engine. The style is more or less the same. You just have guns instead of magic this time around.
    I'm still impressed by this game as I explore the wasteland, and I've barely touched half of it. There's so much to do.

I just ran into Harold the ghoul. icon_lol.gif
    I think I'm going to play through again and be nice to people. I think everyone hating me has taken some of the fun out of it. I'll smart off to someone I'm doing a quest for, and they'll just be like, "Don't hurry back..." icon_cry.gif

Has anyone gone back to Megaton after you've nuked it? There's usually a weapons/repair guy there. It's pretty slick because you can have him repair all your stuff, and then you can just kill him and his guard to get your money back along with all their goods icon_twisted.gif

They keep coming back too! I've done it about four times so far icon_lol.gif
    dynamik wrote:
    I think I'm going to play through again and be nice to people. I think everyone hating me has taken some of the fun out of it. I'll smart off to someone I'm doing a quest for, and they'll just be like, "Don't hurry back..." icon_cry.gif

Has anyone gone back to Megaton after you've nuked it? There's usually a weapons/repair guy there. It's pretty slick because you can have him repair all your stuff, and then you can just kill him and his guard to get your money back along with all their goods icon_twisted.gif

They keep coming back too! I've done it about four times so far icon_lol.gif

I think most Caravans are like that? Moria who is in the town and gives you 9 or so quests also repaired your stuff. She was the best repair person. Apparently she ends up in Underworld as a ghoul if you nuked the town. icon_lol.gif
    *Spoilers* (highlight to read)
    Ok, so she does end up as a ghoul if you nuke the town. Well I had my speech way up, so I was able to lie through the first chapter of her book (i.e. not actually do any of the quests). After that I was given the option to basically just tell her it was worthless and waste of her time. I did, and I got some special skill called Dream Crusher. It states, "Something about your presence dampens others' desires to exceed," and it reduces my chance of taking a critical hit by 50%. I then went and talked to the chick who ran the store. It was Carol, or maybe Carol was her assistant. Anyway, Gob from Megaton came up, and she asked if I knew him. I bragged about killing him in the explosion and she went berserk and attacked me. Killing her wound up the whole underworld, so I had to kill EVERYONE. It was nuts. Ghoul Moria is definitely hilarious though. You can be a complete jerk to her and she takes it all in stride.
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Guys come on nothing beats battlefield , I am going to purchase battlefield 2 nothing like flying helicopter and planes shooting , intense war experience graphics is amazing , give some credit to battlefield as well .
    Okay, I still love this game...BUT I was very disappointed in discovering that you can't level up past level 20. When I saw that my Exp was at MAX, I was pissed. I have only about 50% of the map explored and I am already at the max level? What is the reward in doing all side quests and exploring everything?? Very bad decision in my mind by the creators of this game, and most RPG players could probably agree.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    Yeah, hopefully a future mod or expansion will let you go 10 or 20 levels higher. I suppose it keeps you at 20 for challenge. I can nuke or disintegrate most stuff I come across, and Fawkes just destroys everything.
    What difficulty are you playing at? I have it at very hard and battles are quite a challenge at times.