Options

Not in IT?

2»

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just watch Eagle Eye....lots of technology in that big equipment at the construction site scene!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I actually studied Electronics Engineering and ended up driving coaches and long haul lorries which I loved to bits .. The only reason I actually stopped was money and time (s**t salary and never home)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lets take a step back and breath a little people.....

I am not attacking any one particular person, but it is easy to see where people outside of IT (like the people that many of you work with) think that IT workers are unsociable and arrogant. Here is a person with an obvious enjoyment of technology who is mentioning that he works in another field, and you cant even respect that, you would rather tell him to go somewhere else.

Hmmmm.... I wonder why people paint a picture of a geeky techie who is always rude to people and has no friends? Do you really want to be perceived as "that" guy?

Just because you don't see his interest in machinery and you don't understand it, you chastise him. But you get upset when other people don't understand or appreciate your interests right? It is something that you should really spend some time contemplating.
    A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
    MCSA:M, MCSE:S
    (MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
    MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
    MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't seen anyone nuke the thread yet so I am guessing that it is within the bounds of off-topic. Haven't time to check, but it would be interesting if anyone posting negatively was a participant in an icanhaz ot favorite beer thread icon_lol.gif

As far as working in IT .... only just got here after 20 something years as a chef (Gomjaba - you think you had bad hours & crap pay icon_rolleyes.gif ) and am looking forward to remaining in IT until I retire. Probably in management I am guessing, but would like to stay with the small company I work for.
    When I was a kid my dad gave me some career advice as I was trying to establish a career as a professional motocross racer ..... "Son, you need to think about a real job - something like a Taste Tester at a brewery or a quality controller at a knock shop icon_eek.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    CabbageThe1CabbageThe1 Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lets take a step back and breath a little people.....

I am not attacking any one particular person, but it is easy to see where people outside of IT (like the people that many of you work with) think that IT workers are unsociable and arrogant. Here is a person with an obvious enjoyment of technology who is mentioning that he works in another field, and you cant even respect that, you would rather tell him to go somewhere else.

Hmmmm.... I wonder why people paint a picture of a geeky techie who is always rude to people and has no friends? Do you really want to be perceived as "that" guy?

Just because you don't see his interest in machinery and you don't understand it, you chastise him. But you get upset when other people don't understand or appreciate your interests right? It is something that you should really spend some time contemplating.

Nicely Put my friend! But the thread has gotten better the further in, but again nicely put!
    Just watch Eagle Eye....lots of technology in that big equipment at the construction site scene!

That is a really good example, exept those machines were on the low end of low. But it is still a really good example. New Holland doesnt make most of there equipment, for example there excavators are reskined Kobelco's.

I think the reason I like it so much is all it is, is a big video game. So I get to sit there move massive amounts of earth and play video games. 2 joy sticks and a lot of fun :D
    77900371.jpg
    If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style!
  • Options
    prdemonprdemon Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I run a 988G front end loader at work, but would trade for an IT career in a heart beat. Im still trying to work my way into IT. I like running heavy equipment also but i like working with computers more.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    All this big machine talk is turning me on
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would gladly leave IT if I was ever offered a career in loafing at Starbuck's, shooting at the gun range, hunting, and/or playing PC games as long as it paid close to what I currently make.

As far as the OP being on-topic in the Off-Topic forum, since his topic was "leaving IT" it is technically about IT, therefore it is on-topic for the Off-Topic forum. If you can figure out what I just said, please PM me and let me know. Thanks.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Has anyone ever noticed that IT people turn everything into a technical discussion in one form or another? Technically speaking that's kind of ironic icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got out of the Air Force about a year ago, while I was in I spent most of my days driving heavy equipment like these...

rtch-pic.jpg

0610%20Front%20Loader.jpg

25k-loader-image01.jpg

I'm still not in the IT field but I am going to school for it. My security guard job is perfect for college since I do nothing but surf the internet for 8 hours a day and get paid for it.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013