Static Routing, Distance Vector Routing, and RIP Lab Practic

jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
I've been studying CCNA word per word bit for bit with no mercy, my question is is it possible for me to do my LAB practice using simulator like Boson, cause I am lacking great cisco device to perform the following:

Static Routing
Distance Vector Routing
RIP

I will probably find the answer as soon I get started but so far the hub and spoke examples requires a frame relay already, if you can tell me I can get by with the sim then I can just revisit this on ICND2 using the real deal full lab.


Thanks :)
«1

Comments

  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    Its possible to pass the exam with no hands on practice, but if you want a really good understanding of the material and not just a certification you are going to want to get some hands on with the real stuff.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Posts: 1,480Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have purchased Chris Bryant's Ultimate CCNA Study Package that you have listed in your signature, then you probably have three days of lab time on his gear. I don't remember that being included when I got it a couple of years ago, but if you're purchased it recently it was probably included so I would check into that for some hands-on with real gear.

    Alternatively, you can put together a basic home lab very very cheap to get at least some hands-on. You don't have to go crazy as some is better than none, search around this forum and you'll find plenty of suggestions for various home lab setups and look for some of those routers on Ebay for cheap, it's certainly worthwhile.
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    There is a whole section in the CCNA FAQ
    icon_confused.gif: I don’t have any equipment should I buy a Simulator?

    Sure, a simulator is enough to pass the exam.

    But what most people who use a SIMULATOR fail to realize is that when they use their CCNA to try and find a job, they probably will be competing with other CCNAs who have actually touched and studied with REAL EQUIPMENT.

    Would you let a mechanic who watched a video and changed simulated brake pads on a simulated car using a laptop and mouse touch the brakes on your real car (assuming you weren't trying to kill someone by loaning them your car)?

    Would you let a surgeon who practiced surgery with the operation game actually attempt to remove a real funny bone from a real person?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mattrgeemattrgee Posts: 201Member
    Download GNS3, load an IOS and you can emulate any routing scenario you can think up and unlike Boson it's an emulator not a simulator. Big difference.
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    I got a little lucky my friend has a lab setup via a VPN connection he's 5 routers etc, I will just use this for now, but I will more likely get started with purchasing a decent frame relay that I can also use for CCNP, all this stuff are new to me, and I'm like a dumb buyer, since I am not sure yet what to get.

    Thanks, I will also check GNS3 just if I have no internet.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Posts: 2,741Member
    GNS3 > you.

    It is a most excellent learning tool. Even though I do have access to physical routers (albeit only 2500's) GNS enabled me to get through the BSCI portion of CCNP/CCIP.

    If i'd wanted to spend some more time investing in this though, I probably would have cut out the "top-layer" of GNS and gone straight to DynaGen - but as I wanted to get on with exams quickly, I just went straight for GNS...
  • JavonRJavonR Posts: 245Member
    Another vote for GNS3.... excellent learning tool :)
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned ■■■■■■■■□□
    gorebrush wrote:
    If i'd wanted to spend some more time investing in this though, I probably would have cut out the "top-layer" of GNS and gone straight to DynaGen - but as I wanted to get on with exams quickly, I just went straight for GNS...

    Dude, it takes an hour or two max. You only need to go through about half of this unless you're doing something more advanced like using multiple machines. Plus, that'll give you a better understanding of how GNS3 works since it's just a GUI for Dynagen, so it should be required reading anyway. Quit making excuses ;)
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Too many Posts: 1,443Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    purchasing a decent frame relay

    a 2520 should do what you need....you can also create them in dynamips.
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    I'm purchasing the following 2 each, I would really like to test alot of routing and just a pure hands on practice, you got any 2611XM that is running decently hit me up.

    2611XM x 2
    WIC-1T x 2

    Apparently my 2611XM already has a NM-4A/S x1 and WIC-1T installed, I am also going to ask the manager at work if I can purchase one of our L3 switch 3750, let me know if this should work, I would rather just use the existing one I got on one of the 2611, and get more of the 2611 so I can practice MPLS later on CCNP.

    I also have the following switches already

    2950 x 2
    2900 x 1
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    jbaello wrote:
    purchasing a decent frame relay

    a 2520 should do what you need....you can also create them in dynamips.

    Can I still do dynamips using a 2611XM as my frame relay? sorry noob question...
  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    I think you are confused on what Dynamips is. I suggest you do a little research...
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    It looks like an emulator, I will try to read more on the possibility of using an emulator, but for now I would rather just invest on the lab and have a real hand-on like some people here suggested, if possible I would avoid GUI for now since I am still trying to establish a good fundamentals with Cisco.

    I'm so geeked out with networking they work so flawlessly WYSIWG I ain't no longer in a world of waiting haha, loving networking so far and I'm enjoying it :)
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you are confused on what Dynamips is. I suggest you do a little research...

    I think he's asking about connecting his physical equipment to Dynamips.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Too many Posts: 1,443Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    I think you are confused on what Dynamips is. I suggest you do a little research...

    I think he's asking about connecting his physical equipment to Dynamips.

    You can but I haven't done it extensively.....I'll leave the research to those interested......
  • TurgonTurgon Posts: 6,313Banned
    jbaello wrote:
    I've been studying CCNA word per word bit for bit with no mercy, my question is is it possible for me to do my LAB practice using simulator like Boson, cause I am lacking great cisco device to perform the following:

    Static Routing
    Distance Vector Routing
    RIP

    I will probably find the answer as soon I get started but so far the hub and spoke examples requires a frame relay already, if you can tell me I can get by with the sim then I can just revisit this on ICND2 using the real deal full lab.


    Thanks :)

    You can do everything you have mentioned here using 2500 series routers if money is tight. You can get these for very little money on ebay today. I paid nearly 800 dollars for a 2503 back in 2002 to practice ISDN. You don't know you are born these days ;)
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    I spoke to a used cisco dealer, he's selling me 2 2611xm for 350 $.

    x2 - 2611XM (max memory 32/12icon_cool.gif no want interface whatsoever but comes with a 1 year warranty, can you guys please let me know if this is a reasonable deal, the 1 year warranty protects my investment.

    Comes with a rack ears which saves me another 25 $ for 2.

    Then for my 4th router I can get away with the none XM models they are very inexpensive, the XM I can use for future NP studies, which I'm planning to do as soon I'm done with CCNA, I'm tryin to hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

    Then for my 5th router I'll break into Turgons house haha...
  • kalebkspkalebksp Posts: 1,033Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    I bought a 2610XM for $80 plus $25 to upgrade the memory, no rack ears, no warranty. In my opinion that is not a good deal, but I don't care about warranties, so maybe it's worth it to you.

    BTW, 32/128 is not max memory for a 2600XM series, 48/256 is, but I don't think there are any IOSs that require 256 DRAM.
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    kalebksp wrote:
    I bought a 2610XM for $80 plus $25 to upgrade the memory, no rack ears, no warranty. In my opinion that is not a good deal, but I don't care about warranties, so maybe it's worth it to you.

    BTW, 32/128 is not max memory for a 2600XM series, 48/256 is, but I don't think there are any IOSs that require 256 DRAM.

    If the IOS does not support 256 DRAM then it's kinda pointless, maybe that's why they consider 128 memory max, correct me if I'm wrong.

    The cheapest 2611XM I found so far with buy it now option is 149 $ + 15 $ shipping there's one that has 0 bid for 94 $ the guy has 0 feedbacl lawl.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Posts: 1,033Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    If the IOS does not support 256 DRAM then it's kinda pointless, maybe that's why they consider 128 memory max, correct me if I'm wrong.

    The cheapest 2611XM I found so far with buy it now option is 149 $ + 15 $ shipping there's one that has 0 bid for 94 $ the guy has 0 feedbacl lawl.

    Yeah, there is no reason that I'm aware of that you would need more than 128, just letting you know.

    It's up to you what you buy, I'm just sharing my experiences. I tend to wait for a good deal to pop up before I buy.

    Good luck!
  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    I'd try to get them to at least through in a couple serial WICs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    I'd try to get them to at least through in a couple serial WICs.

    I think it's a bit overpriced I'm just going to wait around for a bit for now, I'll have to just revisit the full lab before I take the exam when I get my lab setup, I'm sure this is not the 1st time I will be dealing with this anyway since ICND1 and ICND2 both covers IP routing.
  • mikej412mikej412 Posts: 10,090Member
    kalebksp wrote:
    Yeah, there is no reason that I'm aware of that you would need more than 128
    BGP and the full Internet Routing Table

    But 128Meg DRAM would work nicely for a home lab.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    Thanks for the help guys, as long I have the idea now, then I can just hustle my way through with my lab, I'll take a pix once I have it setup :)
  • kalebkspkalebksp Posts: 1,033Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote:
    kalebksp wrote:
    Yeah, there is no reason that I'm aware of that you would need more than 128

    BGP and the full Internet Routing Table

    I was thinking that it might be useful for very large routing tables, and I suppose BGP with the full Internet routing table would fit that bill. What do you think that chances are that I could convince my ISP to peer with my 2610XM? Then I could get some good BGP practice in. :D
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    Finally got a deal from from http://optimumdata.com/

    170 $ including shipping 1 year warranty

    2611XM

    32/128 Memory
    DTE/DCE cable DB60
    WIC-1T
    WIC-1B-U (ISDN DRI)

    It looks like this is a great deal with what I am seeing with Ebay and other site so far, the WAN interface and cables when it adds up can cost another 50 $ I cansider the breakdown like this.

    Router 100 $
    Interface, cables and extra memory 50 $
    Shipping & 1 year insurance 20 $

    I'm just going to do this, Ebay is exhausting, let me know what you think please.
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    jbaello wrote:
    Finally got a deal from from http://optimumdata.com/

    170 $ including shipping 1 year warranty

    2611XM

    32/128 Memory
    DTE/DCE cable DB60
    WIC-1T
    WIC-1B-U (ISDN DRI)

    It looks like this is a great deal with what I am seeing with Ebay and other site so far, the WAN interface and cables when it adds up can cost another 50 $ I cansider the breakdown like this.

    Router 100 $
    Interface, cables and extra memory 50 $
    Shipping & 1 year insurance 20 $

    I'm just going to do this, Ebay is exhausting, let me know what you think please.

    Please give me your feedback and tell me I got a good deal :P
  • networker050184networker050184 Posts: 11,962Mod Mod
    You got a good deal icon_rolleyes.gif


    Happy?



    You could have saved some money with some patience, but you know what they say, time is money!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jbaellojbaello Posts: 1,192Member
    You got a good deal icon_rolleyes.gif


    Happy?



    You could have saved some money with some patience, but you know what they say, time is money!

    Lawl icon_lol.gif

    What I'll do next time is I will forecast my lab need and give myself 1 month ahead of time while currently working on what I have then start bidding and looking around.

    Thanks :D
  • famosbrownfamosbrown Posts: 637Member
    I beleive the latest T IOS for the 2600XM's require at least 48/256 to run. Regular 12.4 only requires 32/128.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
Sign In or Register to comment.