Static Routing, Distance Vector Routing, and RIP Lab Practic

jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been studying CCNA word per word bit for bit with no mercy, my question is is it possible for me to do my LAB practice using simulator like Boson, cause I am lacking great cisco device to perform the following:

Static Routing
Distance Vector Routing
RIP

I will probably find the answer as soon I get started but so far the hub and spoke examples requires a frame relay already, if you can tell me I can get by with the sim then I can just revisit this on ICND2 using the real deal full lab.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Its possible to pass the exam with no hands on practice, but if you want a really good understanding of the material and not just a certification you are going to want to get some hands on with the real stuff.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have purchased Chris Bryant's Ultimate CCNA Study Package that you have listed in your signature, then you probably have three days of lab time on his gear. I don't remember that being included when I got it a couple of years ago, but if you're purchased it recently it was probably included so I would check into that for some hands-on with real gear.

Alternatively, you can put together a basic home lab very very cheap to get at least some hands-on. You don't have to go crazy as some is better than none, search around this forum and you'll find plenty of suggestions for various home lab setups and look for some of those routers on Ebay for cheap, it's certainly worthwhile.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is a whole section in the CCNA FAQ
    icon_confused.gif: I don’t have any equipment should I buy a Simulator?

Sure, a simulator is enough to pass the exam.

But what most people who use a SIMULATOR fail to realize is that when they use their CCNA to try and find a job, they probably will be competing with other CCNAs who have actually touched and studied with REAL EQUIPMENT.

Would you let a mechanic who watched a video and changed simulated brake pads on a simulated car using a laptop and mouse touch the brakes on your real car (assuming you weren't trying to kill someone by loaning them your car)?

Would you let a surgeon who practiced surgery with the operation game actually attempt to remove a real funny bone from a real person?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Download GNS3, load an IOS and you can emulate any routing scenario you can think up and unlike Boson it's an emulator not a simulator. Big difference.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I got a little lucky my friend has a lab setup via a VPN connection he's 5 routers etc, I will just use this for now, but I will more likely get started with purchasing a decent frame relay that I can also use for CCNP, all this stuff are new to me, and I'm like a dumb buyer, since I am not sure yet what to get.

Thanks, I will also check GNS3 just if I have no internet.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    GNS3 > you.

It is a most excellent learning tool. Even though I do have access to physical routers (albeit only 2500's) GNS enabled me to get through the BSCI portion of CCNP/CCIP.

If i'd wanted to spend some more time investing in this though, I probably would have cut out the "top-layer" of GNS and gone straight to DynaGen - but as I wanted to get on with exams quickly, I just went straight for GNS...
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Another vote for GNS3.... excellent learning tool :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gorebrush wrote:
    If i'd wanted to spend some more time investing in this though, I probably would have cut out the "top-layer" of GNS and gone straight to DynaGen - but as I wanted to get on with exams quickly, I just went straight for GNS...

Dude, it takes an hour or two max. You only need to go through about half of this unless you're doing something more advanced like using multiple machines. Plus, that'll give you a better understanding of how GNS3 works since it's just a GUI for Dynagen, so it should be required reading anyway. Quit making excuses ;)
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jbaello wrote:
    purchasing a decent frame relay

a 2520 should do what you need....you can also create them in dynamips.
    I'm purchasing the following 2 each, I would really like to test alot of routing and just a pure hands on practice, you got any 2611XM that is running decently hit me up.

2611XM x 2
    WIC-1T x 2

Apparently my 2611XM already has a NM-4A/S x1 and WIC-1T installed, I am also going to ask the manager at work if I can purchase one of our L3 switch 3750, let me know if this should work, I would rather just use the existing one I got on one of the 2611, and get more of the 2611 so I can practice MPLS later on CCNP.

I also have the following switches already

2950 x 2
    2900 x 1
    jbaello wrote:
    purchasing a decent frame relay

a 2520 should do what you need....you can also create them in dynamips.

Can I still do dynamips using a 2611XM as my frame relay? sorry noob question...
    I think you are confused on what Dynamips is. I suggest you do a little research...
    It looks like an emulator, I will try to read more on the possibility of using an emulator, but for now I would rather just invest on the lab and have a real hand-on like some people here suggested, if possible I would avoid GUI for now since I am still trying to establish a good fundamentals with Cisco.

I'm so geeked out with networking they work so flawlessly WYSIWG I ain't no longer in a world of waiting haha, loving networking so far and I'm enjoying it :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you are confused on what Dynamips is. I suggest you do a little research...

I think he's asking about connecting his physical equipment to Dynamips.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

I think he's asking about connecting his physical equipment to Dynamips.

You can but I haven't done it extensively.....I'll leave the research to those interested......
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jbaello wrote:
    I've been studying CCNA word per word bit for bit with no mercy, my question is is it possible for me to do my LAB practice using simulator like Boson, cause I am lacking great cisco device to perform the following:

Static Routing
    Distance Vector Routing
    RIP

I will probably find the answer as soon I get started but so far the hub and spoke examples requires a frame relay already, if you can tell me I can get by with the sim then I can just revisit this on ICND2 using the real deal full lab.

You can do everything you have mentioned here using 2500 series routers if money is tight. You can get these for very little money on ebay today. I paid nearly 800 dollars for a 2503 back in 2002 to practice ISDN. You don't know you are born these days ;)
    I spoke to a used cisco dealer, he's selling me 2 2611xm for 350 $.

x2 - 2611XM (max memory 32/12icon_cool.gif no want interface whatsoever but comes with a 1 year warranty, can you guys please let me know if this is a reasonable deal, the 1 year warranty protects my investment.

Comes with a rack ears which saves me another 25 $ for 2.

Then for my 4th router I can get away with the none XM models they are very inexpensive, the XM I can use for future NP studies, which I'm planning to do as soon I'm done with CCNA, I'm tryin to hit 2 birds with 1 stone.

Then for my 5th router I'll break into Turgons house haha...
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I bought a 2610XM for $80 plus $25 to upgrade the memory, no rack ears, no warranty. In my opinion that is not a good deal, but I don't care about warranties, so maybe it's worth it to you.

BTW, 32/128 is not max memory for a 2600XM series, 48/256 is, but I don't think there are any IOSs that require 256 DRAM.
    kalebksp wrote:
    I bought a 2610XM for $80 plus $25 to upgrade the memory, no rack ears, no warranty. In my opinion that is not a good deal, but I don't care about warranties, so maybe it's worth it to you.

BTW, 32/128 is not max memory for a 2600XM series, 48/256 is, but I don't think there are any IOSs that require 256 DRAM.

If the IOS does not support 256 DRAM then it's kinda pointless, maybe that's why they consider 128 memory max, correct me if I'm wrong.

The cheapest 2611XM I found so far with buy it now option is 149 $ + 15 $ shipping there's one that has 0 bid for 94 $ the guy has 0 feedbacl lawl.
    jbaello wrote:
    If the IOS does not support 256 DRAM then it's kinda pointless, maybe that's why they consider 128 memory max, correct me if I'm wrong.

The cheapest 2611XM I found so far with buy it now option is 149 $ + 15 $ shipping there's one that has 0 bid for 94 $ the guy has 0 feedbacl lawl.

Yeah, there is no reason that I'm aware of that you would need more than 128, just letting you know.

It's up to you what you buy, I'm just sharing my experiences. I tend to wait for a good deal to pop up before I buy.

Good luck!
    I'd try to get them to at least through in a couple serial WICs.
    I'd try to get them to at least through in a couple serial WICs.

I think it's a bit overpriced I'm just going to wait around for a bit for now, I'll have to just revisit the full lab before I take the exam when I get my lab setup, I'm sure this is not the 1st time I will be dealing with this anyway since ICND1 and ICND2 both covers IP routing.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kalebksp wrote:
    Yeah, there is no reason that I'm aware of that you would need more than 128
    BGP and the full Internet Routing Table

But 128Meg DRAM would work nicely for a home lab.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Thanks for the help guys, as long I have the idea now, then I can just hustle my way through with my lab, I'll take a pix once I have it setup :)
    mikej412 wrote:
    kalebksp wrote:
    Yeah, there is no reason that I'm aware of that you would need more than 128

BGP and the full Internet Routing Table

I was thinking that it might be useful for very large routing tables, and I suppose BGP with the full Internet routing table would fit that bill. What do you think that chances are that I could convince my ISP to peer with my 2610XM? Then I could get some good BGP practice in. :D
    Finally got a deal from from http://optimumdata.com/

170 $ including shipping 1 year warranty

2611XM

32/128 Memory
    DTE/DCE cable DB60
    WIC-1T
    WIC-1B-U (ISDN DRI)

It looks like this is a great deal with what I am seeing with Ebay and other site so far, the WAN interface and cables when it adds up can cost another 50 $ I cansider the breakdown like this.

Router 100 $
    Interface, cables and extra memory 50 $
    Shipping & 1 year insurance 20 $

I'm just going to do this, Ebay is exhausting, let me know what you think please.
    jbaello wrote:
    Finally got a deal from from http://optimumdata.com/

170 $ including shipping 1 year warranty

2611XM

32/128 Memory
    DTE/DCE cable DB60
    WIC-1T
    WIC-1B-U (ISDN DRI)

It looks like this is a great deal with what I am seeing with Ebay and other site so far, the WAN interface and cables when it adds up can cost another 50 $ I cansider the breakdown like this.

Router 100 $
    Interface, cables and extra memory 50 $
    Shipping & 1 year insurance 20 $

I'm just going to do this, Ebay is exhausting, let me know what you think please.

Please give me your feedback and tell me I got a good deal :P
    You got a good deal icon_rolleyes.gif

Happy?

You could have saved some money with some patience, but you know what they say, time is money!
    You got a good deal icon_rolleyes.gif

Happy?

You could have saved some money with some patience, but you know what they say, time is money!

Lawl icon_lol.gif

What I'll do next time is I will forecast my lab need and give myself 1 month ahead of time while currently working on what I have then start bidding and looking around.

• famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I beleive the latest T IOS for the 2600XM's require at least 48/256 to run. Regular 12.4 only requires 32/128.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)