Pet Peeves

2»

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What about all those people that spend time on forums? Argh! icon_twisted.gif
  • D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Co-workers that are sick and dont take time off work, then come into the office and make EVERYONE else sick!!!
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just 10 minutes ago a user told me "You can just double click and it will open". Apparently my way of just clicking once on the '+' sign was too slow or inefficient. I smiled and thanked them for the computer tip.

holy crap I just saw your user title icon_lol.gificon_thumright.gif

My pet peeves are people who are older then me (20+) are right about something JUST because they're older. icon_rolleyes.gificon_wink.gif
    A user came down to I.T. today to pick up their Blackberry after handing it to her she said "don't i get a phone aswell???" lol...
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    D-boy wrote: »
    A user came down to I.T. today to pick up their Blackberry after handing it to her she said "don't i get a phone aswell???" lol...

I get the opposite often, people purchase smartphones and somehow later on through conversation about something on their computer I get into the idea of getting e-mail and etc on their phone... only to learn they own a smartphone and have been using it strictly as a phone only, ignorant to the other technology in their device.
    A user calls down to I.T with a problem, then vnc'd to her pc she is telling me i am doing it wrong and questioning my every move! Hang on a minute, didn't you just call me for help??? Just let me do my damn job!
    A user calls down to I.T with a problem, then vnc'd to her pc she is telling me i am doing it wrong and questioning my every move! Hang on a minute, didn't you just call me for help??? Just let me do my damn job!

Reminds me of another pet peeve... we use VNC or Dameware, set to allow them to have control as well. So far too often we say "ok, I'll need to use your computer for X time, in the mean time you won't be able to use it so you'll have to find something else to do" then you hang up the phone... and they keep using the computer as if there is a tunnel from one ear to another and you spoke right through it.
  • doom969doom969 Member Posts: 304
    Most have been posted,
    But here goes :

- People doing something in a certain way just because they always did it that way, even though there are clearly better ways to do it, more secure, more efficient, etc...

- People dismissing cert value just because they didnt take the time to do them.

- People relying on other to provide knowledge, and doing no study/search on their own.

- Noisy eaters.

- People claiming a solution is better when they clearly know nothing of the alternatives.
    Doom969
    MCITP (EST - EA ) - MCT
    A+ - IBM - SBSS2K3 - CISCO_SMB
    CompTIA : A+
    Reminds me of another pet peeve... we use VNC or Dameware, set to allow them to have control as well. So far too often we say "ok, I'll need to use your computer for X time, in the mean time you won't be able to use it so you'll have to find something else to do" then you hang up the phone... and they keep using the computer as if there is a tunnel from one ear to another and you spoke right through it.

Lol..... there's nothing like a cursor battle......

I work for a media company and whenever i vnc to someones pc their either on Facebook or Messenger Live, but you said you was too busy to install the software you put in a urgent request for...
    Lol..... there's nothing like a cursor battle......

I work for a media company and whenever i vnc to someones pc their either on Facebook or Messenger Live, but you said you was too busy to install the software you put in a urgent request for...

Yup, good times... what I like to do if I run into a user who won't keep their hands off of the mouse, is to hover mine outside of the VNC session in the upper right corner, and anticipate when they are about to click on a button in whatever they are doing, so I can quickly swoop my mouse into their screen thus causing them to close what they had open which is generally a browser.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Let's see, I've got a couple of these:
    • People who are emotionally attached to "their way", meaning they refuse to be open someone else's opinioin or experience
    • People who hang over my shoulder while I work, constantly telling me how to click or where to find the file they think I'm looking for. . . or simply (constantly) asking "why are you doing it that way?!?"
    • People who completely dismiss any experience or knowledge you may have automatically, no matter how many times you've gone out of your way to show that you have a fair idea of what you're doing, (this includes experience, certs, and demonstrating your ablilities through on-the-job work
    • End-users who ask for your help, but then are frustrated because you're not giving them the solution they imagined and/or they complain because they're watching you work and you're not fixing it the way they/their-unemployed-cousin-the-computer-expert would
    • People who don't think IT professionals are worth spending money on because they don't think ours is "real" work
    • People who ask me things like "how hard could it be?" when I tell them that what they're asking is going to take time or money
    • People who believe that I am responsible for making their computer work because they spent money on it and "guys like me" know how it works
    • Holy wars between people who like brand X and people who like brand Y, (see the first item). This includes OS disputes, backup software, music players, etc. If you like what you currently use, you understand the pros and cons of using it, then no one has the right to tell you that it sucks. . . nor do you have the right to tell someone else that their choice of gadget sucks either. (This goes out to all you people who say "Windoze" or "M$", but get offended when I return the joke and say "Lin(s)ux" or poke fun at the Cult of the Mac.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Co-workers that are sick and don't take time off work, then come into the office and make EVERYONE else sick!!!

oh hell, +20 on that one. This is by all means my biggest pet peeve of all. For somebody not to have the common decency to stay at home and get better but instead decides to come in and infect everybody else.

I seriously want to slap ppl who do this!icon_twisted.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    Posts/messages/replies with no punctuation, no capitalization, texting format (i.e. u for you) and the use of prolly instead of probably. A definite bad habit to take to an interview or apply for a position. Of course misspelling is OK, cuz I caint spail:)
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    People who say...well, you should know that because you are an engineer.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    doom969 wrote: »
    - People dismissing cert value just because they didnt take the time to do them.

nail on the head, man. I hate when they call it "just a piece of paper". I bust my ass working on those and studying (the RIGHT way) and they just de-value the whole thing. ITs okay though, because in time, my achievements will show
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Can I say users are my pet peeve...
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Another one I just experienced today is when the wife puts garbage on top of the garbage can......

I walk over to the garbage can and there's a empty box of mini wheats sitting on the lid... Granted the garbage was full, but here's a novel idea, take the trash out or put the empty ceral box to the side of the can... and this also happens if the trash is empty...icon_rolleyes.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    I have one, which might be offensive to some and it is not work related. With that said.... Ex-girlfriends who come over to hang out and think it is ok to role up their tampax in toilet paper and throw them in my bathroom trash can. I needed to vent...I feel better..thanks!
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone with an IQ under 120, maybe even 130.

Stupid people who blow through 20 certs in a year with near perfect scores then act like they aren't brain dumping them...yeah.

People who "answer" questions with pointless rhetoric followed buy an asinine question.

People with an apparent lack of foresight.

I could go on, but my pet peeves almost all revolve around absolute stupidity.
  • cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    snadam wrote: »
    nail on the head, man. I hate when they call it "just a piece of paper". I bust my ass working on those and studying (the RIGHT way) and they just de-value the whole thing. ITs okay though, because in time, my achievements will show

Same thing with a degree...."Oh, degree's are nothing, I didn't go to college, he didn't go to college, hell, I'm an idiot and now I'm a CTO..."

lol...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I have one, which might be offensive to some and it is not work related. With that said.... Ex-girlfriends who come over to hang out and think it is ok to role up their tampax in toilet paper and throw them in my bathroom trash can. I needed to vent...I feel better..thanks!

I know how to fix that: messy breakups! icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Users who immediately say "I didn't do it, it was like that" when I know for a fact that they did.
    Techs who use a 15 ft. network cable when 5ft works...can't stand messy cables.
    Users who don't care about the equipment and/or are messy. They can't understand when why their keyboard doesn't work. We come over and blow out 2 pounds of crumbs!
    Techs who aren't team players
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    Drivers who can't figure out how to properly merge on the highway and people who brake before entering an off ramp!
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.