Options

Cisco Newbie

CiscoGreekCiscoGreek Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, im new to the forum and going to start my CCNA certification in the coming months - starting with CCENT. I would like some help please when it comes to buying books, routers/switches etc and im sure this place is the place to be! I have read all the guides you have for CCNA labs and they have been a big help! I do have one question I hope someone can help me.

I have just bought 2 routers a 1721 router and is running 12.2(11)T2 and a 2620 running 12.4 - my question is do these router support 802.1q or not? The cisco website says it does the/ and on other parts it doesnt - maybe i dont know the website too well! icon_wink.gif 802.1q i gather is important so do all my routers need the ability to run it?

If someone could help me find out if these routers do or dont support it!

Thank you for the help in advance! icon_cool.gif

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The best place to Check for supported features is the Cisco Feature Navigator.

The 1721 does support 802.1q and I believe the 2620 does as well. I do not believe the 2620 will run the 12.4 though. Someone who knows will be a long shortly to clear that up though icon_wink.gif

As long as you have on router that you can do router on a stick with you should be good to go!

Welcome to the forums!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    The best place to Check for supported features is the Cisco Feature Navigator.

The 1721 does support 802.1q and I believe the 2620 does as well. I do not believe the 2620 will run the 12.4 though. Someone who knows will be a long shortly to clear that up though icon_wink.gif

As long as you have on router that you can do router on a stick with you should be good to go!

Welcome to the forums!

Well it runs 12.4! icon_cheers.gif I tried but i cant seem to find the right info. I did find that is depends on the IOS that you are running?
  • Options
    Router(config-subif)#encapsulation ?
    dot1Q IEEE 802.1Q Virtual LAN

Im guessing if i can run this command then surely it supports it on the 1721?
  • Options
    The 1721 will support it but the 1720 does not so keep that in mind if you decide to grab some more of the 1700s.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Now that you have a couple of physical routers you dont need anymore,check out Dynamips,it will emulate afew routers on you PC.You can even connect your real routers to the emulated routers via your pc nic.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    The 1721 will support it but the 1720 does not so keep that in mind if you decide to grab some more of the 1700s.

Thanks for the heads up! So should i stick with the IOS i have or try upgrade it? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    Now that you have a couple of physical routers you dont need anymore,check out Dynamips,it will emulate afew routers on you PC.You can even connect your real routers to the emulated routers via your pc nic.

Ill ask you one thing - when the time comes to implement a network - will Dynamips work? I tried it and i spent 3 days trying to configure it! I prefer having the real deal in front of me even if it might cost me a little. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You'll want to pick up a switch if you can, a 2950 should be good enough. Best of luck! :)
  • Options
    CiscoGreek wrote: »
    Ill ask you one thing - when the time comes to implement a network - will Dynamips work? I tried it and i spent 3 days trying to configure it! I prefer having the real deal in front of me even if it might cost me a little. icon_cool.gif

Yes, do you think routers are configured onsite or would you expect them to be configured and managed from a central remote site.
    Dynamips will run a more current version of ios than the routers you have, 1700s,2600s are end of life, better to be emulating a 7200 if you ask me.

You have a couple of routers now, thats gives you the hands on touchy stuff you need, now if you have a couple of nic cards or usb/eth adapters you can connect the routers to afew virtual routers on your pc.
    Anyway each to there own.
  • Options
    Yes, do you think routers are configured onsite or would you expect them to be configured and managed from a central remote site.
    Dynamips will run a more current version of ios than the routers you have, 1700s,2600s are end of life, better to be emulating a 7200 if you ask me.

You have a couple of routers now, thats gives you the hands on touchy stuff you need, now if you have a couple of nic cards or usb/eth adapters you can connect the routers to afew virtual routers on your pc.
    Anyway each to there own.

Well the problem is i never managed to get it to run properly! But i think maybe i might connect them up.

So far is have a 2620 as mentioned with 12.4 on it
    a 1721 as mentioned above
    and a 2924xl

So brings me to the next question - suppose i stick to the real deal - 2600/1700 possibly an XM - what is the ideal port layout? Eg how many ethernets on each router and how many serial? Right now i have atleast one ethernet and one serial on each - what would be the ideal to have for each router - i havent ever found the answer to that! icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    You're best bet is to build your lab around a required topology.For instance you could buy one of the practical studies books which have many scenarios, then work out how many routers and interfaces are required to replicate whats in the book.
  • Options
    You're best bet is to build your lab around a required topology.For instance you could buy one of the practical studies books which have many scenarios, then work out how many routers and interfaces are required to replicate whats in the book.

Well typically what does one need? icon_rolleyes.gif i could buy the book at a later stage but right now im trying to get the kit together before i can tackle it in the summer. :)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're going to use dynamips/dynagen, you're probably good for routers. To see all the switching in action, you'll ideally need three, but you could get by with less.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    If you're going to use dynamips/dynagen, you're probably good for routers. To see all the switching in action, you'll ideally need three, but you could get by with less.

So 3 switches.. if one could be 2950 and the others 2924xls? And routers 2 Eths and 1 serial alright?
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    So 3 switches.. if one could be 2950 and the others 2924xls? And routers 2 Eths and 1 serial alright?

The XL switches kind of suck. I dont remember why exactly. The preferred CCNA and CCNP config is 2x2950 and 1x3550.

Routers with 2 eth and 1 serial are ok. Remember, you can always buy more routers later!

If you're looking at books and training, the standards are:
    - the Sybex book
    - the Cisco Press book by Wendell Odom
    - the videos by Chris Bryant
    - transcender
    - CBT Nuggets.
  • Options
    thanks for all the info!!
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Should really hold off on the 3550 switch until CCNP, you won't need it for CCNA.
  • Options
    mamono wrote: »
    Should really hold off on the 3550 switch until CCNP, you won't need it for CCNA.

To be honest its way too expensive as well. How much of an advantage is it to get 2950s over 2924xls? Because even if i get 2 2950s ill still have a 2924 in there... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Sorry for bringing this thread back up! I previously asked which would be better to have on the routers - 2 serial or 2 Ethernet.. i had originally thought 2 Ethernet would have been a better option but after looking through the CCNA exam guide today it seems i am WRONG? it would be a better idea to have to serial ports instead?

What are your thoughts on this please?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    To be honest its way too expensive as well. How much of an advantage is it to get 2950s over 2924xls? Because even if i get 2 2950s ill still have a 2924 in there... icon_wink.gif
    The Catalyst 2900XL series switches are old and have a slightly different set of commands. The way you setup VLANs for example. You can have them in your network as a 2nd or 3rd switch.

Don't bother buying a Catalyst 1900 series switch because they're even older than the 2900XL switches and don't run IOS at all. The "enterprise" version of a 1900 has a IOS like CLI but it still isn't IOS.

It is just easier to learn from a Catalyst 2950 or newer because that is what the exams are based on.
  • Options
    Sorry for bringing this thread back up! I previously asked which would be better to have on the routers - 2 serial or 2 Ethernet.. i had originally thought 2 Ethernet would have been a better option but after looking through the CCNA exam guide today it seems i am WRONG? it would be a better idea to have to serial ports instead?

What are your thoughts on this please?

Thanks in advance for your help!

It depends on what you want to do with them. For the CCNA one serial and one ethernet is fine. If you get a frame switch you can build multiple PVCs and make multiple point-to-point sub interfaces to substitute for the lack of more serial interfaces.
  • Options
    You want serial links to study the WAN portions of the CCNA.

Having extra ethernet interfaces makes it more versatile for labs later on however.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    While I a have a few routers in my home lab with dual LAN ports, I usually stick with a single LAN port and at least 2 WAN ports.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thing is i went through the whole guide looking at the labs - yes there was an instance an extra ethernet was needed but more or often it was 2 serial - its a tricky situation building a CCNA lab on a budget - and i dont want to go the simulation way i prefer doing stuff in real.

Switch info has been noted!! :)
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    While I a have a few routers in my home lab with dual LAN ports, I usually stick with a single LAN port and at least 2 WAN ports.

exactly - very rarely use the 2nd one.. or did i miss something? icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    exactly - very rarely use the 2nd one.. or did i miss something? icon_redface.gif
    Its nice to have but not essential.
  • Options
    What routers are you considering anyway? Most of them are modular now.
  • Options
    So i should rather spend money on a WIC-1t than a WIC-1ENET? and damm those prices for nm-1Es are high!! icon_sad.gif big mistake not buying a 26*1 router....
  • Options
    So i should rather spend money on a WIC-1t than a WIC-1ENET? and damm those prices for nm-1Es are high!! icon_sad.gif big mistake not buying a 26*1 router....
    You got a 2600? If so then a WIC-1ENET won't work.

You want WIC-1T or WIC-2T anyway.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    You got a 2600? If so then a WIC-1ENET won't work.

You want WIC-1T or WIC-2T anyway.

no no im talking about adding extra ethernet ports - the 2600 router i have is a 2620 and the 1700 router i have is a 1721 they each have a serial and ethernet port.. so i am now going to add another serial in each. The WIC-1ENET was refering to an additional ethernet port for the 1700 routers