Options

why not in the High Schools in USA??

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
17 Schools in Moscow Launch Cisco Network Academy Courses to Address IT Skills Gap -> News@Cisco

you have to love it! how many USA schools have cisco academy???? holy crap!
this is my 2 cents. Am I dreaming or is there better training outside USA for IT than
in the USA. I mean cheaper, better instructors with more real world experience and a better environment. like they want to you learn and pass the exams where the usa it is just harder.

I mean you can go to an all in one IT trainining center and little cost get highely trained in Cisco and MS$$

I am all for other countries getting the education theydeserve but wow! I never had this in high school and do not see high schools around my area doing this nor the tech schools. The tech school in my area. The dean said no big need for it? I said what you mean no real need. CCNA is huge to understanding the backbone area of networks. I am a ccna and without my trianing wouldnt have a clue as to what is going on. but then again my boss
is IT manager and really has n clue what really goes on in th enetwork.

why dont usa schools have this???I have heard a few but why is there no real push for schools to have this in the uSA???

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    My HS had the Network Academy program. I'm not sure where you are getting your information that only a few schools in the US have it and that there is no push for it.... Source?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My high school had Cisco courses. If I remember right, there were four that took you through the CCNA.

My high school wasn't anything special either. The town I grew up in only had about 5,000 people at the time, and it actually served as the high school for several towns in the area.
  • Options
    snowdudesnowdude Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That would be sweet if there were more programs like that in America. My 2 cents is that the general population (not all) of high school age kids are not sure what they want to do with their lives yet and therefore there is not as much interest in a program like that. Part of that is the different structure between American schools and most others throughout the world (general teaching vs. more focused teaching earlier on).

My school had a similar program paid for by grants. Our tech coordinator taught it and we got the full curriculum for the CCNA plus equipment to play with, failed the test though. Maybe thats why....
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We've had a bunch of posts from current and former High School Cisco Network Academy Students.

A quick search on the Academy web site turned up 18 out of 44 Cisco Network Academies in Wisconsin have "High School" in their name. And I'd guess the other 8 with "School District" in their name might represent even more High Schools.

And I hope the "Charter School" is High School level and not an Elementary School.

There are a couple of "Technical School," "College," and "University" in the names -- but no "Dairy Farm." icon_eek.gif

I think Wisconsin is missing out on a great opportunity to train Dairy Cows in Cisco Technologies. If even a small percentage of Wisconsin Dairy Cows became Cisco Certified I bet Wisconsin could land a Cisco TAC call center. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I think Wisconsin is missing out on a great opportunity to train Dairy Cows in Cisco Technologies. If even a small percentage of Wisconsin Dairy Cows became Cisco Certified I bet Wisconsin could land a Cisco TAC call center. :D

I'd rather have Cisco trained Dairy Cows than Cisco trained Illinois drivers! :D
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My county has a school in place that covers a couple different certifications within the 4 years of high school. In this case you get the diploma and those certs, which is awesome.

Gloucester County Institute of Technology

My high school actually had a series of programs:

Academy of Engineering Sciences (I graduated from this program) - basically prepared you on how an engineer thinks, intro engineering courses that could be taken for college credit if you passed the test at the end, and some electronic courses.

Academy of Preforming Arts - these people were dedicated because they took a lot of courses after school.

Academy of Computer Science - You would take advanced math courses and programming courses. Visual Basic, C++, Java, and then AP C++/Java.

Academy of Forensic Science - No idea about this one as it just started, but lots of science courses.

Academy of Criminal Justice - Lawyers and Cops lol

I will say that there were other motives involved with my high school doing these programs. First, there was talk about the county taking over education and my high school wanted to be the one with the advanced programs/students and not the alternative school for those with issues. Second, they wanted all the money that would come with having advanced programs. Unfortunely, the county didn't take over (though it could still happen) so nothing came of it. But they do still have the programs. I will say that a very small percentage of the graduates of the engineering academy actually went on to become engineers. Most of us just figured out that we didn't want to be engineers lol
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    My high school had the program as well.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I'd rather have Cisco trained Dairy Cows than Cisco trained Illinois drivers! :D
    icon_lol.gif
    I'd rather have just about anything other than Illinois drivers! icon_eek.gif Seriously, these folks are nutso!
    (And this is coming from someone who used to live & drive in NYC...)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    My high school had. . . err. . . well, not a whole lot. icon_sad.gif

The key issue was that it was a regular ol' public school and we had zero cash to do anything. At the tail-end of my junior year, half the faculty announced that they were going to be changing to another district or retiring, so there were severe class-size increases and a frightening number of student-teachers teaching solo when I became a senior. (This is one of the main reasons I was there for about a week that year, then went down to the local community college and took my G.E.D. on a lunchbreak, then ran away screaming.)

No network academy, no Microsoft classes, no renovations as planned, no new computers. . . yeah, those were interesting times.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    My high school had some pretty snazzy 1992 macintoshes, and the "programming" class was about Microsoft Word.

I remember the day we got new computers, and then they realized they didn't have desks big enough, so all the kids sat on the floor the rest of the year.

The 386's ran "the internet" but the pentium II's ran "the card catalog" (aka telnet). I told them they had it all wrong but they didn't listen.

That was fun. Then again, our school's internet connection was a single ISDN line.
  • Options
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    My high school had some pretty snazzy 1992 macintoshes, and the "programming" class was about Microsoft Word.

I remember taking a class back in my days, "Computer Math". It was supposed to be a good exposure to programming so I figured what the heck, sounds fun.

It was entirely based on Macintosh IIci's with Hypercard where we had to make "dungeons" to navigate through.
  • Options
    lildeezullildeezul Member Posts: 404
    My high school, is all about career education. I am enrolled in the CCNA network academy program at my school. ( even though i already have my ccna) haha..

but we offer AP computer science, nursing, auto collision/repair, auto body, aeronautics, digital media, radio broadcasting, ect. ect. ect.

we currently have 7 people in my CCNA class, but thats only in my period, there are 7 periods, with an average of 5-7 people per period/class.
    NHSCA National All-American Wrestler 135lb
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My Chicago Public High School was so poor we had to use 12 IBM 2741 terminals and Acoustic Couplers to timeshare on the Chicago Board Education IBM 370-155 mainframe. Think we also had one faster Trendata 4000 terminal.

Oh, wait a minute -- my bad. icon_redface.gif We might of had that stuff because I'm that old, not that the school system was poor.

And yes, CHICAGO drivers are bad -- I've had 2 cars taken out by hit 'n run drivers in the city. That's one of the reasons I moved to the relative safety of the suburbs.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    dynamik wrote: »
    My high school had Cisco courses. If I remember right, there were four that took you through the CCNA.

My high school wasn't anything special either. The town I grew up in only had about 5,000 people at the time, and it actually served as the high school for several towns in the area.

I don't know how old you guys are, I'm 29 and graduated HS in 98, we were lucky to have an "internet club" where the idiot librarian would show us how to e-mail and browse web pages. . . . .jawn.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're only a few years older, but I suppose that makes a big difference for the time.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You're only a few years older, but I suppose that makes a big difference for the time.

I'm graduated in '99 and we didn't have much in the way of computer classes either. They were considering allowing me to do a self-study AP C++ class, but in my junior year I got caught bypassing the security on the lab PC's so I could sync some games to my TI-92 calculator with their password I social engineered from the admin so they banned me from all school PC's for the remainder of my junior year. Luck would have it during my senior year somebody wiped out some final projects students were working on (they saved them on a public share for that class) and they pinned it on me even though I genuinely had nothing to do with it. Lost my lab access for my senior year as well thanks to that.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    If my high school had computers they would have been the punch card and paper tape kinds. Not very sexy even back then. But we did have a physics lab with lasers and a Tesla coil, an electronics lab filled with HAM radio geeks, and a planetarium where I mostly hung out (either there or in the band room). icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    my hs didnt have a Cisco program when i was there...i graduated in 98. then a few years ago, they added it. i was like WTF??!?!?

BizTek
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My school was horrible.

But we had a concurrent enrolment program with a local community college which I took advantage of. Did C++ programming there and Judo.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HS kids with cisco training...! Another funny home video soon..........
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    My school offered CCNA. i wish i would have taken it then icon_sad.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Uk Is pretty bad for IT Courses

For example if I wanted to obtain the CCNA I could pay my university close to £2000
    I could pay a third party training provider £1700 to do a 5 day course which realistically wouldn't make you pass the CCNA how could you possibly take in that amount of information.

Or lastly you could buy the books and equipment and self study
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    My High Schools Had/Has a CCNA Course (4 semesters) Network Academy. I also want to mention that, that was 10 years ago!
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    High Schools in Fairfax County, Virginia are geared to getting the student into college. That includes alot of AP classes and activities. They do have some computer classes. I'll have to ask my niece what they are.

http://www.fcps.edu/RobinsonSS/index.htm
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    Hey guys
    thanks for all your great input, but there are none in my are of Wisconsin and 14 schools
    is not that much when you have 200 or more schools...

but I just dont see the push for it in our schools. i talked with a tech college
    and they said there was no need for it in the area. I balked at this.
    I couldnt believe the dean of technology said this.. adn local huge high school doesnthave it.
    and 5 highschools big ones in my area do not have it; well I hope so. just would be nice if you heard about it more in the news cisco academies but then again.
    it is going to get tougher huh!? hhahah ;)
    all these highschool hackers being born hhahahaa ;)
    thanks for you input dudes!
  • Options
    Just want to say just because your high school had it 10 years ago doesnt mean it is evently distrubuted. some people or academic staff have there sh%t together.

i cannot believe our area hear in wisconsin but nothing for 100 mile radius
    no high school or anything has cisco acadamey..but i am working on them to get one
    in our local tech college. it is a must to attract IT people you know.

great input thanks

must be in podung area i am hahah ;)
    but there is nothing. but the good sign is the local tech college just got a cert testing center. and I am pushing them to get a Cisco academy center and maybe me full time staff teaching ccna that would be awesome who knows! ;)
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ally_uk wrote: »
    The Uk Is pretty bad for IT Courses

For example if I wanted to obtain the CCNA I could pay my university close to £2000
    I could pay a third party training provider £1700 to do a 5 day course which realistically wouldn't make you pass the CCNA how could you possibly take in that amount of information.

Or lastly you could buy the books and equipment and self study

I have always gone the self study route myself and I'm UK based. I think you will find a lot of those 5 day classes distribute the **** to students while the instructor reads the newspaper. Keeps the passing rate high. At least that's what one guy I worked with told me *shrug*.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    17 Schools in Moscow Launch Cisco Network Academy Courses to Address IT Skills Gap -> News@Cisco

you have to love it! how many USA schools have cisco academy???? holy crap!
    this is my 2 cents. Am I dreaming or is there better training outside USA for IT than
    in the USA. I mean cheaper, better instructors with more real world experience and a better environment. like they want to you learn and pass the exams where the usa it is just harder.

I mean you can go to an all in one IT trainining center and little cost get highely trained in Cisco and MS$$

I am all for other countries getting the education theydeserve but wow! I never had this in high school and do not see high schools around my area doing this nor the tech schools. The tech school in my area. The dean said no big need for it? I said what you mean no real need. CCNA is huge to understanding the backbone area of networks. I am a ccna and without my trianing wouldnt have a clue as to what is going on. but then again my boss
    is IT manager and really has n clue what really goes on in th enetwork.

why dont usa schools have this???I have heard a few but why is there no real push for schools to have this in the uSA???

Not so unusual. Back in 2002 I mentioned to a coworker that schools in the US were teaching Cisco to kids.
  • Options
    good but not in my area just sucks but USA is a big place and I guess depends on area.
    but we have no Cisco academy at all for at least 100 mile radius . maybe i should start one.
    he hee
  • Options
    Turgon

about the 5 day classes in IT. I think they can be good if you have tons of hands on experience but need the classroom to intensify your learning for each exam. They can be good if you use them for that. I plan to do that with my MCSE get some years expereince building and maintaing 2003 servers and then eventually go to a boot camp but for more than 2 weeks. they have bootcamps that are classes and then take each exam that way.
    i have seen great success with guys who have a couple or so years of hands on and then take a boot camp and hammer the exams out. that to me is better...;) we shall see ;)