Options

Blessing or a curse...you decide

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Priceless opportunity !

Take the challenge and take advantage of the training, this is how we learn icon_thumright.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Congrats, I guess there are a few things I would begin doing. Mapping out the environment. AD structure, network setup, etc. Find out what isn't working correctly and what is. Document everything. If there aren't any standards and procedures for how things are done, create some. Learn as much as you can and ask as many questions as you need. Google is your friend. Establish baselines. Be proactive. There are probably more and none of that is in any type of order but it should be a good start.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have a feeling that this training thing isn't going to happen. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, I guess there are a few things I would begin doing. Mapping out the environment. AD structure, network setup, etc. Find out what isn't working correctly and what is. Document everything. If there aren't any standards and procedures for how things are done, create some. Learn as much as you can and ask as many questions as you need. Google is your friend. Establish baselines. Be proactive. There are probably more and none of that is in any type of order but it should be a good start.

Great post. I want to add, create a project plan.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I am not up to date with the whole history you have with that company, but I will say that if they are wishy washy and the past speaks volumes. If they acted like crap before and now all of a sudden, dropping the consultant, looks like it may be a bit of "polishing" to cover up their BS or smooth things over. Not trying to be judgemental, but I gather from this thread that they haven't been treating you fair, so why now all of a sudden. People don't just change over night, there is usually a motive.

If they do offer anything, MAKE THEM write it out. It is all too often that a verbal offer/benefit is taken as such, (younger people are usually seen as inexperienced so that is viewed as a chance to intimidate/leverage a person), and then renigged on. Then the first thing that is asked by them is, "well, do you have that in writing?" Just keep this in mind, ALL training is beneficial, will give you something you didn't have before, and they can't take that away from you when it's all said and done.

Whatever happens, just get as much as you can, most companies only look out for their interests and you need to do the same. Be humble about it of course, but always be watchful......
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    I just got some more information.

The Personal Assistant to the Owner went to him and my bosses boss and basically said

"Hey, if Nicole doesn't get more tech work, and you guys use her abilities, she's going to leave. Give her a manual or send her to a class for the things she doesn't know, because she's extremely intelligent." icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Even if they don't pay for training (because of the economy or whatever else) you will still get valuable experience. Everything the consultant did now you get to have the chance to do. You will have to train yourself, if the consultant worked on excahnge for your company, you will need to go out and get a good exchange book. If the consultant worked on your routers, switches, VoIP, etc. you will need to get some good Cisco books. Learn as you go.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499

The Personal Assistant to the Owner went to him and my bosses boss and basically said

"Hey, if Nicole doesn't get more tech work, and you guys use her abilities, she's going to leave. Give her a manual or send her to a class for the things she doesn't know, because she's extremely intelligent." icon_redface.gif

Nicole,
    Sounds like a good sign. You have convinced them that you are worthy of the chance. now you just have to do the work and prove that you can handle the job. Get to grinding on what you don't know. Hit us up for questions, PM me if you need. I am not a guru on things but I know how certain things operate in enterprise situations. I work at a datacenter and we provide Hosted Exchange so I'm a resource for Exchange things also. i guess what I am getting at is you have resources available to you, use them to make things easier. Don't be shy in letting them know when you don't know something but also let them know that you will find out what you don't know. This sounds like a great opportunity.
  • Options
    joey74055 wrote: »
    Even if they don't pay for training (because of the economy or whatever else) you will still get valuable experience. Everything the consultant did now you get to have the chance to do. You will have to train yourself, if the consultant worked on excahnge for your company, you will need to go out and get a good exchange book. If the consultant worked on your routers, switches, VoIP, etc. you will need to get some good Cisco books. Learn as you go.

He did everything. icon_redface.gif

So I need to learn a lot icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409

AWESOME! That had to give you the "warm fuzzies" and make you feel pretty darn good! You do sound like you have a very good head on your shoulders, and it's incredibly encouraging to know that it's gotten noticed by your coworkers and is now being recognized by the bosses. You're obviously doing something very very right, and now they're hooked on ya and they want more. Very good position to be in. icon_thumright.gif

Keep us posted...I'll be keeping fingers crossed that this all works out for you.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    AWESOME! That had to give you the "warm fuzzies" and make you feel pretty darn good! You do sound like you have a very good head on your shoulders, and it's incredibly encouraging to know that it's gotten noticed by your coworkers and is now being recognized by the bosses. You're obviously doing something very very right, and now they're hooked on ya and they want more. Very good position to be in. icon_thumright.gif

Keep us posted...I'll be keeping fingers crossed that this all works out for you.

I feel pretty honored. I mean they could always kick me to the curb and find someone else, but they want me to do this. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    He did everything. icon_redface.gif

So I need to learn a lot icon_lol.gif

You know what that means, don't you? In a years' time from now, you'll be that same kind of scary-smart sysadmin. . . just like that consultant. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    You know what that means, don't you? In a years' time from now, you'll be that same kind of scary-smart sysadmin. . . just like that consultant. icon_wink.gif

I hope so icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I am officially the project lead (in IT) for our move icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    When will the butt kicking commence? icon_cool.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    Sounds, but be sure to ask for a raise, because that is a LOT of work.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And your other interview went well? If you get another job offer, what do you think you're going to do?
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    When will the butt kicking commence? icon_cool.gif

Today icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    zen master wrote: »
    Sounds, but be sure to ask for a raise, because that is a LOT of work.

I'm unsure of how to go about this...
    dynamik wrote: »
    And your other interview went well? If you get another job offer, what do you think you're going to do?

Depends on money, honestly. The other job is step down from this, but lots of Linux experience and smaller company.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm unsure of how to go about this...

Having another job offer will give you some nice leverage ;)
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on money, honestly. The other job is step down from this, but lots of Linux experience and smaller company.

Another thing to consider - how many jobs have you had in the past 18 months or so? By the time you hit your 3rd or 4th in a year your resume will start to raise some eyebrows - and not in a good way. Just something to think about before you jump ship for a little more money.

The grass isn't always greener....
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote: »
    Another thing to consider - how many jobs have you had in the past 18 months or so? By the time you hit your 3rd or 4th in a year your resume will start to raise some eyebrows - and not in a good way. Just something to think about before you jump ship for a little more money.

The grass isn't always greener....

I had that conversation at my job interview last night. But, the IT manager said I had great communication skills, since I expressed exactly what the issues were without bashing my previous employers. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fade2bright

dude go for it; you can do it man what a blessing that your boss will pay for your mcsa
    you can do it man! go for it. there a many guys onthis tech forum who are smart and have been there that I am sure can give you guidance go for it!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I don't know the details on the other job but if it is a step down I honestly think you'd be best served by sticking out this job for at least a year. The experience will do you wonders. When is your next review? That would probably be the best time to start talking money. Keep a running tally of accomplishments and responsibilities. If you have your old job description and can detail what is new in it that will certainly help.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote: »
    fade2bright

dude go for it; you can do it man what a blessing that your boss will pay for your mcsa
    you can do it man! go for it. there a many guys onthis tech forum who are smart and have been there that I am sure can give you guidance go for it!

*in best Austin Powers voice* He's a woman, baby!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Having another job offer will give you some nice leverage ;)

Thou shall not use other job offer as leverage without a signed offer letter from other potential employer and a willingness to leave if they call your bluff.

That's one of Hero's 1000 Or So Commandments for IT Professionals, along with other gems like...

"Thall shall not lick exposed wire in a datacenter. Wires in DC's have electricity, too!"
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Thou shall not use other job offer as leverage without a signed offer letter from other potential employer and a willingness to leave if they call your bluff.

That's one of Hero's 1000 Or So Commandments for IT Professionals, along with other gems like...

"Thall shall not lick exposed wire in a datacenter. Wires in DC's have electricity, too!"

icon_lol.gif hahaha
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod

Now, now. Don't go around talking crazy. I did licked the wires at the datacenter I worked every morning to perk me up, saved a TON of money on coffee for a while. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HEROPSYCHO

oooooooooooooops! okay! dudette! girlfriend go for it! hahah
    just treating her like one of the boys! hahah sorry
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote: »
    HEROPSYCHO

oooooooooooooops! okay! dudette! girlfriend go for it! hahah
    just treating her like one of the boys! hahah sorry

Your handle is itdaddy, but you're definitely not the (no relation to Apple) MacDaddy, are you? icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!