Options

Blessing or a curse...you decide

13»

Comments

• Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    What's the difference in pay between this job and the other one? What's the difference in terms of job function? Why were you considering leaving in the first place? Has enough changed to make you want to stay? They're a lot of unanswered questions that need to be answered before you make your decision on whether to stay or go.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    zen master wrote: »
    What's the difference in pay between this job and the other one? What's the difference in terms of job function? Why were you considering leaving in the first place? Has enough changed to make you want to stay? They're a lot of unanswered questions that need to be answered before you make your decision on whether to stay or go.

-Not sure in the pay difference, yet.
    -Job functions:

Here: Everything from help desk to network administration is on me now(In a Windows environment)
    There: help desk/some sys admin(in a Linux environment)
    -I'm considering leaving due to the way this was just dumped on me, the pressure that if I don't know how to fix something I'll lose my job.
    -Not enough has changed to make me stay.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Devil's advocate here...

Have you ever used linux? If so, do you like linux? If one of the answers is no, then I'd suggest you think long and hard about this other job. What happens if you find out you hate linux? SprkyMrk said it.

I'd also step cautiously with trying to ask for a raise in this current economy and/or tying to use leverage from the other job. Many company's are laying people off and/or freezing salaries, which means there are plenty of skilled IT personnel available out there that are willing to be hired for cheap. You can politely ask for a raise when you have your review, but don't be disappointed if your shot down. If you get the raise, well then that's just a bonus!

The way I see things is your in a perfect opportunity there with your company wanting you to take over the network and gain some real admin type experience. I was once in your shoes and I was ecstatic about having new and challenging responsibilities. Grab the bull by the horns!

If you ever feel overwhemled, just remember to look into the mirror and say "Mmm, I look good....I mean really good. HEY EVERYONE, COME AND SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK"
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    If you ever feel overwhemled, just remember to look into the mirror and say "Mmm, I look good....I mean really good. HEY EVERYONE, COME AND SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK"

The correct saying is...

stuart-smalley-posters.jpg

P.S. Who thought that dude would become a US Senator?
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    The correct saying is...

stuart-smalley-posters.jpg

P.S. Who thought that dude would become a US Senator?

icon_lol.gif I was debating with that quote and the Ron Burgandy one.

Anyways, I guess it can't be that much worse then the governator.

arnold_governator.jpg
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    -Job functions:

Here: Everything from help desk to network administration is on me now(In a Windows environment)
    -I'm considering leaving due to the way this was just dumped on me, the pressure that if I don't know how to fix something I'll lose my job.

Negotiate with your current boss to set IT policy for the company if you're responsible for supporting it.

Then pick up a copy of The Practice of System and Network Administration.

Read it. Set your policies to those guidelines. It should allow you to handle your work flow without getting overwhelmed. I'd rather be able to put on my resume that I ran everything for one company than that I was a peon for another, especially when the company that wants me to do everything is willing to pay for my training.

So I'd say stay at your current job.

Unless, of course, you don't want authority at all and the pay at the other job is really, really good.
  • Options
    markk2008markk2008 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

They cant just **** all this new responsibility onto you and then expect you to cope without giving you the relevant training first, just do your best and no one can ask any more of you than that.
    People who search for IT Jobs typically find Jobs in IT
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Updated: I will not be getting any training. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343

Run. Sprint. Anything that will get you heading in the opposite direction.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157

I think that is a sign to start polishing up the old resume.... Perhaps, if you can afford the time and money, it may be time to get another certification or 2 as well.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□

After reading your very first post my initial reaction was make sure you get the training.

I've seen this too many times where training and even development and "great opportunities" are promised to people, when in fact what is actually happening is the business is cutting costs which are deemed "unneccessary" i.e. Net Consultant and lump the work onto a young enthusiastic person who wants to learn, who is getting paid 60 - 70% less and they see no extra money for it.

It's an ok position to be in if you're new to the game and want to get some experience then move on, but if they're giving you no kind of reward for this (extra pay or training) and you have a better offer, get out!
  • Options

icon_lol.gif

That tells you they're all about cheap, even if it means you'll blow something up because of inadequate training, and they then have to justify being cheap by pinning that on you, saying you were incompetent, blah blah blah.

Use them for the experience if you have to, and move on to a better class of employer when you have the opportunity. They're still giving you a good opportunity by letting you mess with stuff you honestly shouldn't be messing with given your experience and lack of training. However, that IS how you get experience. icon_thumright.gif

Don't feel bad if you blow something up because of this. It's their fault if that happens, whether they admit it or not. Always have your resume ready in case something bad happens, or if you find a better opportunity.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Run. Sprint. Anything that will get you heading in the opposite direction.
    ditto. While undomiel & sprkymrk make a good point about sticking it out and not having a bunch of short stints on your resume, it's not going to help to stay somewhere you're set up for failure - if they exponentially increase the difficulty and amount of your duties but don't offer up the training to help you do it, then it's a lose-lose situation. Flee.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I wouldn't quite agree that it is a lose-lose situation. You can still pull valuable experience from this. Step up your own outside studies and learn what you can. As HP said don't worry if something blows up. After all they didn't get you trained so you have to learn on your own. You'll still have a hard time finding entry level admin experience as good as what it sounds like you have here. It'll be rough with the psycho boss and the lack of training but once you get through it'll be worth its weight in gold.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    I wouldn't quite agree that it is a lose-lose situation. You can still pull valuable experience from this. Step up your own outside studies and learn what you can. As HP said don't worry if something blows up. After all they didn't get you trained so you have to learn on your own. You'll still have a hard time finding entry level admin experience as good as what it sounds like you have here. It'll be rough with the psycho boss and the lack of training but once you get through it'll be worth its weight in gold.

I agree. This beats sitting around on a desktop help desk job. You're getting admin level experience.

This is an opportunity, and I have to say that this is par for the course often times to get your hands on the good stuff to move up. If you walk away from this job a year from now, frustrated, but having let's say MCSA or even MCSE certification and real Active Directory, Exchange, Windows, and server hardware experience, it's well worth it. That immediately propels you into being considered for an enterprise level admin position in a good place to work.

If you have a better opportunity come along in the meanwhile, by all means take it. But this is an opportunity. This is where you cut your teeth to move on to better things later.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    msteinhilber

Your IT career seems like mine! But I know some day will be my time to shine! and have peace of mind at work. some day!

or I just might push my ontheside business full time! and just go for it.
    I love working for myself! make more money and I am a nice boss! to myself!
    haahha
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As you are aware by now, Fade, there is no perfect job out there. You will either find pyscho bosses, annoying coworkers, low pay, high stress, boring duties, etc anywhere you go. So you make a desicion and hope for the best. If you leave this job now because of added responsibility and no extra training - what will you gain at the next job? Maybe less responsibility and required training that you don't like? That equates to boredom and feeling like they don't trust you. Didn't you leave a previous job because it was too boring with minimal responsibility? And the one you had before that - your coworker did all the work and got all the credit and you got left with the boring work because the boss didn't think you were able?

There are a lot of people on these forums that would take your current situation/job in a heartbeat. They would be dying for a chance to prove themselves and get their hands on some real admin-type tasks. So whatever you do is up to you, leave or stay, just make sure you balance the pros and cons. I'm not advising you to stay or leave - that is up to you. I'm just advising you to keep a balanced perspective. Good luck.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Fade - I'm going with Sprkymrk on this one. We can't tell you what to choose. But some things to keep in mind besides the important ones Sprkymrk covered would be... do you know Linux and do you like it enough to want to work with it exclusively (or nearly so) every day?, What do you know about the company you'd be doing Linux work for? Are they a good company to work for? Did you get an opportunity to speak with those you'd be working with? Did you get a comfortable feeling while there, did you seem to gel well with the others? etc. Also try to do some research on the financial stability of both companies. Although it sure sounds like your current company has hit a rough patch. If you're not 100% sure of how you'd fit with the new company I would recommend considering staying put. While having to learn it all on your own sucks, many of us have done it. My last job was that way (although I had a decent boss) and the experience gained there allowed me to land the nice job that I have now. Either way best of luck to you.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've got one piece of advice, in that case. . .

RUN AWAY!!!
    HolyGrail072.jpg

Seriously, I wouldn't quit on the spot, but it might be time to polish the resume and throw your line out there to see who bites.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Come and see the violence inherit in the system!
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    -Job functions:

Well leave then. They may very well setting you up to fail so they can fire you. I'm gonna go against the tide here and say go with the new job.
  • Options
    toteman85toteman85 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [QUOTE=
    [/B][/I]So my boss and I are in agreement that our counter offer will be having them send me to get my MCSA to start. They will pay for training, books and my certs.
    [/QUOTE]

sounds great man!! just put yourself to study like tomorrow is the end of the world and you will get it in less than 3 months.
    good luck
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024

That kind of blows chunks.

Personally, I'd grin and bear it. I've done enough hell desk duty that I don't ever want to do it again. I am much happier when I get to put my paws on the pipes and the iron instead of the handset.