Options

Considering possible job offer in...South Florida?

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I've managed to get a NOC job with my CCNA, and I've been at it for six months, which isn't all that much, but it sure is a lot more than I could put on my resume six months ago. icon_thumright.gif I'm wanting to go into the voice field, and I'm going after Cisco's voice track. My current job doesn't do voice at all, and since I'm third shift, I basically just monitor things to make sure no network goes down, and I don't feel like I'm learning anything where I'm at, much less voice.

Anyway, I live in North Florida and I had someone call me about my resume submittals from South Florida (Fort Lauderdale) and asking for an in-person interview. The job would be working with voice, and the guy who called me was surprised that so few people applied for this job, which bodes well for me. I told him I'd need to make in the $50s/yr at least, and he didn't blink, asking me down to talk to me. I know the cost of living is high down there, but I'm in a busy college town and it isn't cheap here, either. My wife really doesn't want to move down there, as it would put us out of driving distance from my family. They live 100 mi. away, and this job is eight hours from where I am now. She has these ideas about how bad things are down there, and if I had a job interview anywhere else in the country far away, I don't think she'd have the same trepidation she does with this for some strange reason.

To be honest, I'm not sure with what little voice study I have so far that I'm going to get another offer like this anytime soon. And taking on voice without help is such a big bite that I'm not sure I'm going to continue it. If I heed my wife and turn down this possible job offer in South Florida, I may decide to switch to another technology field - I don't know. Something easier to learn than voice. I just wanted to see what others thought about taking a job in Fort Lauderdale/South Florida to work in voice at this salary and moving up vs. moving into something different. I know it's all about getting your foot in the door, and it sure seemed like this was that opportunity if I wanted to go into voice.

Comments

• Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    I think that if voice is what you want to do then you should go for it. If I had an opportunity like yours, I would definitely not let it pass me by.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    carboncopy wrote: »
    I think that if voice is what you want to do then you should go for it. If I had an opportunity like yours, I would definitely not let it pass me by.

Go for the interview, and don't make any decisions either way until you have a written offer in hand... Not sure where you live in Florida, unless it is Tallahasse, but there is not much that is 8 hours aways from Ft Lauderdale.... I used to live in Mobile, AL, and traveled down to Hollywood Fl, for vacations...

Good luck
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i believe that you should go for it if thats what you want
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah NOC jobs. Either you are just monitoring or doing reboots. Nice position to start off with, but it seems a lot of NOC jobs, the experience is always around you (in other departments) that you want to get to. I say you gotta to those departments.

It doesn't hurt to go down and see if you get the job. Heck, I know nobody wants to move back and forth, but you can always move back up/closer when you get that voice experience under your belt. Just go and have a great interview and see what happens. Make a decisions after.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree, you lose nothing by going on the interview! I have had friends and college professor's who weren't looking for jobs that still went on interviews. It keeps the skills fresh!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Ok, I'll post again when I get back from the interview. Maybe I'll even know if I have the job when I'm done.

I hope it goes well. I can think of lots of worse places to be than South Florida! icon_cool.gif I could be interviewing for a job in - International Falls, Minnesota. Or Brownsville, Texas.
  • Options
    bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    The best part of a voice noc job is you will get exposed to high-level transport aka sonet, ds3, and gigabyte ethernet over fiber. Also you will also be exposed hopefully to a class five switch which is still the backbone pstn switch. I did 5ess switching for a couple of years in a noc and it helped me immensly understand trunking and pri for t-1's. After I left that job I went to a job supporting just trunking and data circuits because of overtime pay. "Hey it was a union shop and there was double time."
  • Options
    gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry for asking a dumb question but what is NOC? Thank you
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Network Operations Center. Its a pretty broad term, but usually refers to where day to day monitoring/troubleshooting of the network takes place. I've seen some places called a "NOC" that really have nothing to do with networking though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I say that you should go to the interview to see how you like it. If it turns out that its not something that you would want to do then atleast you got more interview experience. If it turns out that you want to take the job then you and your wife have to sit down and look at a compromise...maybe instead of moving into the town where the job lies...you could move half way closer...that way your splitting the difference...keep in mind the cost of fuel.

Also, as a personal side note...when I got engaged to my fiance I wanted to marry her not her family...so the decisions that I make are designed to improve my immediate family not my extended family.

Only you know your specific situation and what will work best for your set of circumstances.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    miller811 wrote: »
    I used to live in Mobile, AL, and traveled down to Hollywood Fl, for vacations...
    What the heck is there to do vacation-wise in Hollywood, FL? The beach? The mall? Barbecue and seafood restaurants? Bars and nightclub over on Las Olas? When I was a kid, I was bored-to-death in Broward County.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well only you know how much this would impact your relationship with your wife.

Before you feel like all is lost though, I'll slip in a personal note from my own similar experience. I had been an electrician for 12 years (and a darn good one icon_cool.gif ) when I decided I really wanted to jump full time into the tech industry. I had been moon lighting in it for a couple years and got my MCP certification. Low and behold, I got an offer making a little more than I was as a journeyman electrician to do Cisco Router installs for - wait for it - an electrical company I had been employed with for 4 years as an electrician, and they were willing to let me count my previous time with the company toward all my benefits (retirement, holidays, vacation, seniority, etc) even though it had been 7 years ago that I left their employ! In other words an opportunity to enter the networking field with zero experience AND they were going to send me to school for CCNA and beyond. Additionally, I would be the company computer guy for a small Windows Network (25-30 users/computers in the office). All this and a pay increase to boot! Perfect opportunity right? Well, there was one small problem. The job involved a lot of travel - like 12 weeks on the road (home on weekends) and then 4 weeks home. Rinse and repeat. Apparently the routers I would be supporting were for small ISP's in little towns scattered throughout Iowa and Illinois. The wife was TOTALLY against me being gone so much, and I couldn't blame her as we had 2 small children at the time. I very reluctantly had to turn down this offer.

However, much to my surprise, I got another offer less than 3 weeks later. The money was matching what I was currently making, and it was for a DoD Contractor on an Army base 10 minutes from my home. I got a security clearance and the rest is history. I am still employed by the same company and have had the opportunity to travel across the US - but only for 1-2 weeks at a time, about 3-4 times a year. I also make more money now than I would have been able to make at that first place, and I am very happy things worked out like they did.

I am sure that things will work out for you too. Good luck.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    What the heck is there to do vacation-wise in Hollywood, FL? The beach? The mall? Barbecue and seafood restaurants? Bars and nightclub over on Las Olas? When I was a kid, I was bored-to-death in Broward County.

Actually, I am not a young, partier.... actually middle aged. So my in-laws own a house in Hollywood, with a pool, 5 minutes to the beach....So typical summer retreat would be load up the family, drive south, and in for a cheap vacation. Personally, I would get up early play 18 holes of golf for about $20 since it was too dam hot the locals, come home, swim in the pool, head to the beach in the afternoon, barbq in the evening, swim again after dinner, get up the next morning and do it again.... sounds relaxing to me....

• Options
    So my in-laws own a house in Hollywood...
    Ah, that's the catch. You can do all that other stuff up in the panhandle, close to Mobile, and without the long drive.
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    I would avoid south florida like the plague.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jordus wrote: »
    I would avoid south florida like the plague.

Why's that? I've only been down there for a couple of brief trips but it was always nice. Sure there might be the risk of hurricanes, but I think he's mostly trying to get input on the room for growth job and/or salary wise in that area.

If you want a place to avoid like the plague... think Wisconsin :D
  • Options
    Why's that? I've only been down there for a couple of brief trips but it was always nice. Sure there might be the risk of hurricanes, but I think he's mostly trying to get input on the room for growth job and/or salary wise in that area.

If you want a place to avoid like the plague... think Wisconsin :D

With all due respect to people who live in these areas and are not like this....

The majority of people in southern florida are extremely abrasive and tough to deal with on a daily basis (much like the *average* New York City resident)

People who live there for a long time can often deal with it because its just the norm to them. For people in other places its hard to not get irritated.

BTW I know not everyone in those places would be like that, but the large majority I have been around are.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With all due respect to people who live in these areas and are not like this....

The majority of people in southern florida are extremely abrasive and tough to deal with on a daily basis (much like the *average* New York City resident)

People who live there for a long time can often deal with it because its just the norm to them. For people in other places its hard to not get irritated.

BTW I know not everyone in those places would be like that, but the large majority I have been around are.

Or... perhaps you really do act out in real life like you do on these forums and people sense that and treat you like dirt. Just a thought ;)
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The worst part about Florida is the ones who live on "Peaceful lane", drive an oldsmobile, and top out at 10mph in a 60mph zone.....

No offense to oldsmobile drivers :)

I love it here. I have lived in Ohio, Missouri, Georgia, Texas, Hawaii, and now Florida. I'd happily place Florida at #1 with Hawaii in a close 2nd. Georgia settles happily in last place.
  • Options
    much like the *average* New York City resident

Oh were not that bad ;). There's no way you will ever deal what we deal with in NY in TN. It's more of talking very direct than abrasive. Some might call it yelling, but never. Just direct.
    Next up
  • Options
    murdatapes wrote: »
    Oh were not that bad ;). There's no way you will ever deal what we deal with in NY in TN. It's more of talking very direct than abrasive. Some might call it yelling, but never. Just direct.

I orginally started my IT career in NY. I did field service in Brooklyn and Queens, and I was not from NY, but from the mid west. It made a lasting impression on me, and old saying "you are a product of your environment" became perfectly clear to me..... I became just as abrasive as they were, because that was the only way to survive. If you showed up 1 hour after they placed a service call, they wanted to know what took you so long to get there... Cussed out on daily basis..... Ah the good old days... Makes me appreciate the south more and more every day.

• Options
    Cussed out on daily basis.....

Hey what can I say :), It's not for everyone. Still a beautiful city to visit for people out of town.....so I hope.
    Next up
  • Options
    murdatapes wrote: »
    Hey what can I say :), It's not for everyone. Still a beautiful city to visit for people out of town.....so I hope.

As a visitor, I always look forward to leaving icon_thumright.gif

• Options
    As a visitor, I always look forward to leaving icon_thumright.gif

lol. Me to sometimes. Georgia is my second home. So I understand the south.
    Next up
  • Options
    People have been emigrating from NY (and New England) and immigrating to Florida for over a century now. They originally start going to FL for vacations to escape the NE winters and they end up retiring there and inviting their families down. They balance-out the immigrants from the Caribbean islands, South America, Mexico, and Cuba. I don't regard my former homeland as the "Deep South" any more. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    People have been emigrating from NY (and New England) and immigrating to Florida for over a century now. They originally start going to FL for vacations to escape the NE winters and they end up retiring there and inviting their families down. They balance-out the immigrants from the Caribbean islands, South America, Mexico, and Cuba. I don't regard my former homeland as the "Deep South" any more. icon_sad.gif

I guess that explains it.

Ive lived beside some people from down there, and known a few more. All with varying levels of sandpaper in their every day demeanor.

Now I work with a gentlement (:D) from Miami that couldnt be a bigger a-hole. He claims to be an expert on basically every topic, yet I have to fix his screw ups and correct him every single day. Sad this is he is over 25 years older than me and brags about all his wonderful experience. But has 0 certs because he thinks they are a waste of time. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Hey, what's with the "abrasive" comment for NYC folks?! I was born & raised in Queens, you got a frickin' problem with that?! ;)

...but seriously, we're not abrasive, we're just emphatic. And we don't yell, we just speak with great fervor. It's been years since I've lived in NYC, and I've gotten quieter and I've slowed down a bit, but I still "put my New York on" from time to time when I'm on a mission to get things done.

What most people don't realize is that what's seen as "abrasive" to non-New Yorkers is just how it is in NYC - you speak loudly because you need to be heard (and - from personal experience - some folks come from loud families and just get used to speaking loudly to be heard over the din of their other family members speaking). You walk fast and talk fast because everyone's busy and has to try to rush to catch a train or beat traffic so they can get home, etc. so you gotta do things a bit faster in order to be more efficient.

Don't get me wrong - there ARE flat out rude people in NYC. But they're not unique to any particular geographic area - I've lived in NYC, Phoenix, Toronto, and now Chicago...and believe me, there's rudeness and nastiness everywhere.

If I were to not live in a certain area, it would be for different reasons than perceived niceness of the residents. I'd check out the job prospects, the political climate (I'm pretty frickin liberal and I prefer to live in non-uber-conservative states), and the weather/natural disasters. The hurricanes alone are enough to keep me out of FL, but toss in the political leanings, and I'll just be visiting...very briefly, and not during hurricane season...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Just like everywhere else we have our a-holes and our genuinely nice people. Because of the rich multicultural blender we live in down here we have our cultural clashes and some people are a little heated. Otherwise, it is all fun and games down here. Where else can you go to work in a swimsuit and sip Pina Colodas while your on the clock?
  • Options
    rfult001 wrote: »
    Just like everywhere else we have our a-holes and our genuinely nice people. Because of the rich multicultural blender we live in down here we have our cultural clashes and some people are a little heated. Otherwise, it is all fun and games down here. Where else can you go to work in a swimsuit and sip Pina Colodas while your on the clock?

Can you please take my coworker back down there? TN doesnt want him. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I did have my interview down there last week. It's a "Tier I" job, but it seems to involve more than just making tickets. The interviewer mentioned a lot of voice terminology involved in this job, but I'd have to get clarificationl Since I basically just make tickets all day long now at my current job, I want to get beyond that.

Surprise, he didn't give me a technical interview. My first non-technical interview ever. I guess he liked my resume enough. He was a CCIE, too. Nice guy. I'm trying to compare where I am now with what this job would offer and if it would be worth taking if it was offered. Currently I make $42/yr. regular ($48/yr with my allowed five hours overtime a week), but I have lousy benefits, and I have to pay $400/mo. for them out of my own pocket (I'm a contractor). The job I interviewed for would pay at least $55/yr as a regular employee with great benefits. Of course, it's eight hours south of here where neither myself or my wife know anyone, and I hear housing can be more expensive. If I decide against it, I can always say that I would need at least $60/yr and see what he says. If he says no, well, nothing lost.

I must admit that when you get into middle age, you tends to want to stay put instead of move around like you didn't mind doing when you were single and in your twenties. The $$$ and benefits sound good, but moving all our earthly possessions again into a 24-ft. truck and relocating once more is getting to be a real drag.

Hopefully I'll hear something in a week, so he said.