Options

Considering possible job offer in...South Florida?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    I did have my interview down there last week. It's a "Tier I" job, but it seems to involve more than just making tickets. The interviewer mentioned a lot of voice terminology involved in this job, but I'd have to get clarificationl Since I basically just make tickets all day long now at my current job, I want to get beyond that.

Surprise, he didn't give me a technical interview. My first non-technical interview ever. I guess he liked my resume enough. He was a CCIE, too. Nice guy. I'm trying to compare where I am now with what this job would offer and if it would be worth taking if it was offered. Currently I make $42/yr. regular ($48/yr with my allowed five hours overtime a week), but I have lousy benefits, and I have to pay $400/mo. for them out of my own pocket (I'm a contractor). The job I interviewed for would pay at least $55/yr as a regular employee with great benefits. Of course, it's eight hours south of here where neither myself or my wife know anyone, and I hear housing can be more expensive. If I decide against it, I can always say that I would need at least $60/yr and see what he says. If he says no, well, nothing lost.

I must admit that when you get into middle age, you tends to want to stay put instead of move around like you didn't mind doing when you were single and in your twenties. The $$$ and benefits sound good, but moving all our earthly possessions again into a 24-ft. truck and relocating once more is getting to be a real drag.

Hopefully I'll hear something in a week, so he said.

I dont think you should just base your decision on not wanting to move. Granted if staying put is the most important thing to you then by all means, but consider your health benefits, permanency of employment, and extra pay, aside from having to move. That $400 a month you save in benefits is another $4800 in salary you can add to the $55k you would make, and also consider the time that you would be working overtime as extra time to spend with family. Maybe ask if in addition to that salary they are offering maybe if they can pay a company to move your stuff for you.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    The worst part about Florida is the ones who live on "Peaceful lane", drive an oldsmobile, and top out at 10mph in a 60mph zone.....

No offense to oldsmobile drivers :)

I love it here. I have lived in Ohio, Missouri, Georgia, Texas, Hawaii, and now Florida. I'd happily place Florida at #1 with Hawaii in a close 2nd. Georgia settles happily in last place.

Odd, I used to live in Clearwater. Grew up there, left in my early twenties for Georgia. Except for the traffic (I'm in the atlanta burbs), I much prefer Georgia over Florida. The people are generally friendlier, and I actually seem more than the occasional palm tree up here.