LPIC Study Group?

Comments

• elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    knwminus wrote: »
    A few. I maybe 6 or so. What certs are you going for LPIC1/LINUX+ or both? I will be going for LPIC-1 and 2 with in the next year. What are you goals date to have test done?

well i decide to start of with LPIC-1 (i could probably do linux+ while i'm at it). i want to try knock off my first LPIC-1 exam by the end of september.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    varelg wrote: »
    Objection. First, agreeing on certain set of "books" doesn't mean that if we study that material we'll pass the test. It would only mean that we could pass the test we create among ourselves.
    Second, not all the participants (not necessarily in the study group but certainly in this discussion) are in the IT sector already. Meaning that there will be participants that would not be able to meet timetables set forth by the group, due to their obligation to give focus to the current line of work.
    In short, creating a parallel test to the real one may only lead to illusion of proficiency. To quote a line from one of my favourite movies, "Training Day": it is not what you know, it is what you can prove. Or transposed on the exam- it is not what you know, it is what you are tested on. And it seems that we'll be tested on the things we don't know.
    I would urge on using the GNU documentation already available on GNU homepage, man and info pages and linux forums. It is obvious how LPIC objectives overlap with the contents of GNU documentation. Especially if u look at the contents of coreutils info page (available also as a pdf from GNU's home on the web) and the list of objectives- some of them might be taken verbatim from the GNU docs.
    In my view, forums would also be of great use in search for problems with linux that are of greater complexity. We could either present to the group some of the more interesting problems we found on these forums and try to solve within the group, or if we encountered a difficult problem ourselves we could present that to the forums in search for an answer....

Why so serious :lolicon_confused.gif

Honestly you are right and thanks for the new place to look for info for...
    What I think is this:

We choose individual books (but we choose a book on the test we are studying for)

We share the info from are differing sources (in order to get multiple points of view)

We make a sticky thread and pool are info

We set dates when we are going to take the test

We take them and pass them icon_cheers.gif

Dan is making those very helpful videos and even though I do not know a whole lot about Linux, anything I can find I can post.

What do you guys think?
    elover_jm wrote: »
    well i decide to start of with LPIC-1 (i could probably do linux+ while i'm at it). i want to try knock off my first LPIC-1 exam by the end of september.

You must have slightly more experinece in Linux than me icon_redface.gif I would like to get the first test done by December. I also want to do the Security+ at the same time. All in all before I go back to school (in March) I want to get the LPIC-1, Security+ and CCNA:S to add to the A+, N+, and CCNA (in progress).
  • TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    Therhino wrote: »
    i want in

Awesome. How long have you been using Linux? I see you have the RHCT (something I want icon_wink.gif) so you must not be a novice?

What are you plans as far as certification, which cert(s) are you going for?
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As far as a start date, I am hoping end of the August. But I already sorta started.

Oh! I have received a couple IMs and email asking what is a good "starter" Linux computer. In order to live what I preach I went ahead and ordered a Dell Mini 9. They are available on www.dell.com/outlet for $199.99. No execuses everyone :)
    I have a collection of linux ebooks including(Linux+ Certification Bible 2002, Linux+ Study Guide 2001, Linux Plus Study Guide 2nd Ed 2004) except for those you listed above (will try to get those soon)........

Great to hear you have some selection already. Those seems a little dated though. Both for real world and testing you might wana snag some updated texts. But I am sure they will work great for review, so money not wasted.
    I want to get the LPIC-1, Security+ and CCNA:S
    That might be asking a lot. Careful. Certs are not just about the paper. You get what you put into them as far as practice and real world application. Say, 50 hours a pop in labs IMHO. If you can't dedicate at least that you might wana scale back. But hey man. If you can do it I would be impressed. Personally if I can snag Linux+ and finish my MCSE by next year I would be happy.
    Objection. First, agreeing on certain set of "books" doesn't mean that if we study that material we'll pass the test. It would only mean that we could pass the test we create among ourselves.
    Second, not all the participants (not necessarily in the study group but certainly in this discussion) are in the IT sector already. Meaning that there will be participants that would not be able to meet timetables set forth by the group, due to their obligation to give focus to the current line of work.
    In short, creating a parallel test to the real one may only lead to illusion of proficiency. To quote a line from one of my favourite movies, "Training Day": it is not what you know, it is what you can prove. Or transposed on the exam- it is not what you know, it is what you are tested on. And it seems that we'll be tested on the things we don't know.
    I would urge on using the GNU documentation already available on GNU homepage, man and info pages and linux forums. It is obvious how LPIC objectives overlap with the contents of GNU documentation. Especially if u look at the contents of coreutils info page (available also as a pdf from GNU's home on the web) and the list of objectives- some of them might be taken verbatim from the GNU docs.
    In my view, forums would also be of great use in search for problems with linux that are of greater complexity. We could either present to the group some of the more interesting problems we found on these forums and try to solve within the group, or if we encountered a difficult problem ourselves we could present that to the forums in search for an answer....
    Not 100% sure of your meaning here my friend. Of course all materials will be considered. But I have faith in the publishers/writers that they have written their books in a mannor that will ease me into a Linux professional. That is why I choose certification paths to educate me. They are certainly not the end of anyone IT education through.

Some alternate resource I have already started pulling for my Linux podcast is the Linux Pro, Linux magazine and ubuntu new etc. I doubt that will help me pass a test, but I am confident it makes me better at LInux as a whole.

I don't move too fast and have years of experience in IT. So I dont' think anyone will be left too far behind. And hopefully will enjoy the benefits of the progress of those before them.

Best of luck everyone. I should get another podcast up this weekend.
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    As far as a start date, I am hoping end of the August. But I already sorta started.

Oh! I have received a couple IMs and email asking what is a good "starter" Linux computer. In order to live what I preach I went ahead and ordered a Dell Mini 9. They are available on www.dell.com/outlet for $199.99. No execuses everyone :)

Awesome find on the computer. Also your start date seems to be very close to my own.
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    That might be asking a lot. Careful. Certs are not just about the paper. You get what you put into them as far as practice and real world application. Say, 50 hours a pop in labs IMHO. If you can't dedicate at least that you might wana scale back. But hey man. If you can do it I would be impressed. Personally if I can snag Linux+ and finish my MCSE by next year I would be happy.

True. I am trying to dedicate about 100 hours per LPIC test 75 hours for the Security+ and 150 for CCNA:S. I am trying do spread this accross the next few months so it should work out. Are you not going to do the LPIC now?
    Awesome. How long have you been using Linux? I see you have the RHCT (something I want icon_wink.gif) so you must not be a novice?

What are you plans as far as certification, which cert(s) are you going for?

Ive used linux for about 2 years not much at all the first year alot this last year. I really want to try to get the 2009 L+ and LPIC definitely has creditability. Just received my rhct on friday. So definitely the RHCE in the next year or so
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Ive used linux for about 2 years not much at all the first year alot this last year. I really want to try to get the 2009 L+ and LPIC definitely has creditability. Just received my rhct on friday. So definitely the RHCE in the next year or so
    I am curious as to your motivation to go for LPIC or Linux+ when you already have RHCT. Why would you pursue any of them when you have one on the same level?
    I am not being malicious, just curious.
    As far as my timetable, I really wouldn't consider going for the exam before september, and LPIC would only be my first step. I also wouldn't be surprised if I fail, and depending how bad I fail I would either go for RH test (if I fail with a thin margin) or Linux+ (if I fail miserably).
    I am curious as to your motivation to go for LPIC or Linux+ when you already have RHCT. Why would you pursue any of them when you have one on the same level?
    I am not being malicious, just curious.
    As far as my timetable, I really wouldn't consider going for the exam before september, and LPIC would only be my first step. I also wouldn't be surprised if I fail, and depending how bad I fail I would either go for RH test (if I fail with a thin margin) or Linux+ (if I fail miserably).

I know I am by far not ready for my RHCE. I would like to atleast get another year or 6 months of experience before I would try for the CE so to move forward or so in the linux world I would like to do the LPIC
    I know I am by far not ready for my RHCE. I would like to atleast get another year or 6 months of experience before I would try for the CE so to move forward or so in the linux world I would like to do the LPIC

How did you get started with redhat?
  • sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262

You consider RHCT on the same level as Linux+ and/or LPIC-1?

... just curious how others view the RHCT. I can tell you I've never seen that listed in any job posting I've ever looked at.
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    You consider RHCT on the same level as Linux+ and/or LPIC-1?

... just curious how others view the RHCT. I can tell you I've never seen that listed in any job posting I've ever looked at.

I've always thought that RHCX>LPIC-1/2>Linux+

RHCE>LPIC 3 ?
    How did you get started with redhat?

Well being in contracting you have to use redhat on any secure system. So my main start was just needing to build a cheap mail server. I ended up using zimbra which needed to be installed on rhel 5 and at my current job I work with redhat.

knwminus
    I think your right about the RHC>LPIC>Linux+
    Well being in contracting you have to use redhat on any secure system. So my main start was just needing to build a cheap mail server. I ended up using zimbra which needed to be installed on rhel 5 and at my current job I work with redhat.

knwminus
    I think your right about the RHC>LPIC>Linux+

This might help you CertCities.com | Feature: CertCities.com’s 10 Hottest Certifications for 2006

another one: http://www.********.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=150554
    ooops i guess this is a forbidden site, sorry mods didn't know
    stonecold26.jpg
    This might help you CertCities.com | Feature: CertCities.com’s 10 Hottest Certifications for 2006

another one: http://www.********.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=150554
    ooops i guess this is a forbidden site, sorry mods didn't know

Did you see any for 2008?
    Due to some recent market changes, I will be going for the CCNA/S+/CCNA:S/STarting CCNP and then doing LPIC-1/2. I will still study with you guys but I won't be taking the test until sometime January and possibly after march
    Why so serious? icon_wink.gif Good luck with your prep on those certs. Although chasing certs according to labor market demand wouldn't neccessarily pay off... the one candidate with the most enthusiasm about forming a study group is gone...
    Why so serious? icon_wink.gif Good luck with your prep on those certs. Although chasing certs according to labor market demand wouldn't neccessarily pay off... the one candidate with the most enthusiasm about forming a study group is gone...

oh don't get me wrong, I still want to study, I just may not sit for the test for a while, and that may change. Ultimately I see more desire in my market for "Linux skills" than "Linux certs" execpt RH** , which seem wanted. Ultimately I want to earn RHCE, LPIC-3 and CCIE Security or Service Provider within the next 3 years. I am doing the LPIC-1 sometime soon, it just maybe after I do the CWNA+CWSP so maybe April. I still need to study Linux, C/C++ and shell scripting, because I want to be windows free by the eoy.

Another thing is I really have very very little exposure to Linux and I think the LPIC maybe difficult to do until I play with Linux a little more. I plan to purchase the Linux 2009 Bible and Linux Shell scripting Bible to help out with that. Then Maybe April (or sooner) I will get an LPIC book and go all out for LPIC1 and Maybe LPIC-2.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well my friend. Best of luck with all those certs. That is no small task.

Here is my progress report. I did update my podcast. Thing I have covered so far -
    -Hardware
    -Linux licensing basics
    -Install CentOS
    -Logging in
    -Reading Kernal version notation
    -Linux in the Enterprise
    -Commericial Linux support options
    -man
    -clear
    -uname -r
    -Some current events
    - And I BSed some real world example of Linux...

Read -
    Chapter 1 in LPIC 1 in a Nuthsell
    Chapter 1 in SYbex Linux+
    Chapter 1 in REdHat Administrators Guide
    About a dozen Linux magazines

Audio/Video -
    Linux Action Show
    Completed the Intro to linux video series from vtc.com
    -Daniel
    AAH Great....we are at the same pace.

Do you have lab documents?
    stonecold26.jpg
    While discussing exam topic no. 103.1 (Working on the command line) of the exam objectives of LPIC-101, a line mentiones invoking commands inside and outside defined paths, which to me seems a little ambigous.
    What does it mean to call a command inside the defined path versus outside the path? Can it mean anything other than shell invoking external commands from PATH (or if they are builtins shell skipping on PATH)?
    I am back in. I will be studying with you guys for LPIC-1 and I would like to do the RHCT by the end of next year. I plan to kick windows to the curb before the end of the year (all of my machines will run linux in some way shape distro or form)icon_thumright.gif
    I am back in. I will be studying with you guys for LPIC-1 and I would like to do the RHCT by the end of next year. I plan to kick windows to the curb before the end of the year (all of my machines will run linux in some way shape distro or form)icon_thumright.gif
    icon_cheers.gif Welcome back! As far as kicking windows to the curb, carefull with it. The truth is always in the middle, try to take the best from both worlds.
    I am currently trying to make out of what possibly can be made out of set -p command. It is ridicolous how Linux is poorly documented on some important aspects, and it seems this is one of the shining examples. Every possible search with every trick applied on the search engines' sites regarding this command had rendered either a pile of verbatim copies of set's manpages or a pile of unrelated material that has the word "set" in it... had no better luck with search on privileged mode either (-p option controls privileged mode). Examples? Nonexistent.
    I have a strange feeling that printed guides for the exam are even worse at this part of the coverage...
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    set -p

"Disables processing of the $HOME/.profile file and uses the file /etc/suid_profile instead of the ENV file. This mode is on whenever the effective uid is not equal to the real uid, or when the effective gid is not equal to the real gid. Turning this off causes the effective uid and gid to be set to the real uid and gid."

Ref: Here
    I'd like in to study with you guys if thats ok?
    set -p

"Disables processing of the $HOME/.profile file and uses the file /etc/suid_profile instead of the ENV file. This mode is on whenever the effective uid is not equal to the real uid, or when the effective gid is not equal to the real gid. Turning this off causes the effective uid and gid to be set to the real uid and gid."

Ref: Here
    Thanks for the man pages quote. It might have been written "this mode is on whenever you set suid or sgid bit on a file" since only in that case you get different uid and gid of a file. But no, the mistery has to be maintained somehow. I am yet to see examples where it is elaborated in some more details along with scenarios where this may actually be usefull.
    And yes, let's study together. Where are you starting from as far as your Linux proficiency and have you marked any of the LPIC 101 exam objectives as "no need to study this, since I'm doing it every day"?
    I'm decent with linux. Have a couple of servers and know my way around the command line. Not very good with the "GUI" aspects of linux as I spend most of my time on the command line. Use it mostly for pen-testing. I'd like to take the LPIC exams so I figured studying with you guys would be a good plan :D

I also have to agree with you that certain parts of linux are poorly documented and that should be fixed up....
  • Solaris_UNIXSolaris_UNIX Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    great idea on study format, I'm also in the midst of preparing for Oracle 10g certification.

I have a collection of linux ebooks including(Linux+ Certification Bible 2002, Linux+ Study Guide 2001, Linux Plus Study Guide 2nd Ed 2004) except for those you listed above (will try to get those soon)........

Don't bother with those "Linux+" books. I think I once briefly perused the 2001 book you mentioned and I remember that it was hopelessly out of date (i.e. I think it was still mentioning the LILO boot loader instead of GNU GRUB which is what almost everyone uses now). I don't really remember much of the other ancilliary information in the "Linux+ Certification Bible" and "Linux+ Study Guide" being really all that useful either.

Also, I should also add that the Linux+ seems to me like a pretty worthless certification. Focus on the LPIC and on the RHCE / RHCT. Start with buying a copy of the RHCE book written by Michael Jang that I have mentioned in several other threads. The chapter in Michael Jang's book on using the GRUB command line to boot a system that has a corrupted or malfunctioning grub configuration taught me some killer skills that have saved customer's businesses and have definitely set me apart from other people who work on Linux but don't know all the tricks you can do in GRUB to rescue a broken server. The section in Jang's book on doing automated Red Hat installs with kickstart has been very useful for me in real world jobs as well when I have to do a large number of Linux server deployments in a very short amount of time.

I bought a used copy of the Michael Jang book for ~ $19 on e-bay from some guy in India (there were curry stains all over the inside of the book, so I suspect he was studying his Red Hat Linux pretty intensely while munching on curry). I read the RHCE book from front to back with the intention of taking the RHCE exam and then using the RHCE to get a job, but I never got around to taking the exam because the knowledge that the book gave me plus my other UNIX and Linux knowledge was good enough to allow me to make my way through multiple job interviews and get decent paying Linux jobs and make a somewhat comfortable living working on Linux (I work on a lot of Windows Server 2003 boxes as well).

I'm going to get around to taking that RHCE eventually though. But the fact that I can make a decent enough wage with almost no schooling and no certifications just by actually knowing what I'm doing and by being highly skilled at fixing broken Linux boxes doesn't exactly hurt, does it?

Think of Linux IT as being like professional sports. Did it really matter all that much that Michael Jordan didn't have an associates degree from the "Devry School of Basketball" and wasn't "Basketball+ Certified" when he first started out his career? No, being able to actually play basketball really well was probably more important than having the diploma, and the only way to get good at playing basketball is by playing lots and lots of basketball games and learning from your mistakes.

It's the same thing in Linux. If you're "The Linux Guy" that everyone always goes to for help when they are stuck on a difficult Linux problem then you are going to do well in this career path.

ps -e -o pid | xargs -t -n1 pfiles | grep "port: $PORT"

dtrace -n 'syscall::write:entry { @num[zonename] = count(); }'

http://get.a.clue.de/Fun/advsh.html

http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/462/
    Started adding material to my blog for the study group about different topics on the LPIC - 1 exam, if anyone wants to use it. Hoping it'll be an easy way to keep information in a easy to find and use manner.