Options

LPIC Study Group?

13»

Comments

• Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Hey Solaris_UNIX, since you have an insight into how different Linux certs scale up in the IT field, I was interested in how do you see Novell Linux certs scale up...
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would think demand for Novell would be growing but I have not really seen it. RedHat still seems like king of the Enterprise.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Solaris_UNIXSolaris_UNIX Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    Hey Solaris_UNIX, since you have an insight into how different Linux certs scale up in the IT field, I was interested in how do you see Novell Linux certs scale up...

@Varelg: I think Suse and Yast are pretty cool, but I don't see it used much on the west coast of the United States; for better or worse, everything over here is now Red Hat, which is why the RHCE became such a lucrative certification. But just because it's not big in the Western US does not mean that it's not popular in other places. I've heard that Suse and Novell are a big deal in Europe and particularly in Germany though, so it might be good to learn if you ever live there. In fact, almost all the people I know who use Suse are Europeans, if that means anything.

Microsoft and IBM have recently been promoting Suse, which has been giving it some more traction in enterprise environments, so it might be "the next big thing" someday if Ubuntu fails to break through in those Microsoft dominated Enterprise environments. Microsoft has even gone so far as to partner with Novell to promote Suse interoperability with Windows (see URL link):

Hell freezes over: Microsoft, Novell partner on Linux

but this is giving it something of a backlash from the more hard line GNU / Linux advocates like this guy:

A five year deal with Microsoft to **** Novell/SUSE | Linux Journal

ps -e -o pid | xargs -t -n1 pfiles | grep "port: $PORT"

dtrace -n 'syscall::write:entry { @num[zonename] = count(); }'

http://get.a.clue.de/Fun/advsh.html

http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/462/
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I would think demand for Novell would be growing but I have not really seen it. RedHat still seems like king of the Enterprise.

I noticed both Solaris and AIX are the most deployed Enterprise wise
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Solaris_UNIXSolaris_UNIX Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I noticed both Solaris and AIX are the most deployed Enterprise wise

Well, Solaris is like the Chuck Norris of operating systems:

Chuck Norris Facts

There's really only a couple of things I don't like about Solaris, like the fact that pfiles seems more awkward for me to use than lsof, and that the UNIX / Solaris version of netstat doesn't have anything like "netstat -p" in Linux that easily maps ports to process PID's.

I haven't tried AIX yet. Do you have any experience with it UnixGuy? Is the SMIT / Smitty thing that AIX admins use to help them admin their AIX systems any good?

ps -e -o pid | xargs -t -n1 pfiles | grep "port: $PORT"

dtrace -n 'syscall::write:entry { @num[zonename] = count(); }'

http://get.a.clue.de/Fun/advsh.html

http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/462/
  • Options
    Well, Solaris is like the Chuck Norris of operating systems:

Chuck Norris Facts

There's really only a couple of things I don't like about Solaris, like the fact that pfiles seems more awkward for me to use than lsof, and that the UNIX / Solaris version of netstat doesn't have anything like "netstat -p" in Linux that easily maps ports to process PID's.

I haven't tried AIX yet. Do you have any experience with it UnixGuy? Is the SMIT / Smitty thing that AIX admins use to help them admin their AIX systems any good?

No unfortunately I don't have experience with AIX, as I work for SUN partner and support only SUN products.

I'm not sure about the output of netstat -p in Linux, but check the man page of netstat, u will often find slight difference between the options used in Linux and Solaris.

Also, check Sun Microsystems - BigAdmin System Administration Portal , you will find tons of ready to use scripts...there's a wide range of network monitoring scripts to use...

Solaris 10 is really the best OS sun ever designed, and it has so many unknown features. Also Sun Cluster 3.2 is really a great product

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well my new company gave me the cbt nuggets for the L+/LPIC1+2/ And advanced Linux (whatever the hell that is). I am going to start messing with these sometime saturday (just to get my feet wet). Then Later on (I am not sure how far later) I will start studying more seriously. I think the LPIC nuggets do not cover the new exam however. IDK it is better than nothing.

By the way, how many people have passed the LPIC stuff (I know V has)?
  • Options
    elover_jmelover_jm Member Posts: 349
    So having a chapter left to complete i'll be scheduling to sit the 101 exam end of month.
    stonecold26.jpg
  • Options
    I didn't study much in the last two months, primarily because I was (and still) stuck in some projects at work.

Anyway, I decided to leave everything and start with RHCE in a more serious manner.

I started with Michael Jang book, I'm in the first chapter. I might make notes of each chapter...

If anybody wants to share knowledge/practice, PM me.

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am looking at LPI books on Amazon now. I will probably take the exams this spring since I have to leave for military training the end of January. I will take the book with me and practice with CentOS on my laptop.
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I'm getting started on LPIC-1 today.
  • Options
    After much distraction from work, I was able to get some studying in during the long weekend. If you're an experienced Linux user, or have already read through another book, then Jang's book is excellent for its brevity, but there are enough errors in there that I would strongly advise against anyone who's new with Linux using this as your primary source.

I'm hoping to study some more during this coming weekend, and knock out the 101 exam next week. I feel like I'm good on all the concepts, filesystem paths, and utility names, but need to work on some of the more obscure switches.

How is everyone else progressing?
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am not sure what I am going to do at the moment. My plan was to take the first LPI exam in April by studying for the next couple of months. The problem is the CISA auditers exam is June and I will probably not be able to take the second LPI exam until Fall I guess. The CISA is only offered twice a year also. I will probably study for the LPI and take it to avoid procastinating though.
  • Options
    disidisi Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did anyone do the LPIC-2?

The objectives for 201 seem ok, but in 202 you could learn like everything and still don't pass.
    202 = apache+squid+NFS+postfix+sendmail+proftp+sshd+dhcp+bind etc.

Test is next week friday, any help welcome... icon_study.gif

//edit: Ok, I took all the detailed objectives 04/09 for 201 and made some notes. I thought this might be useful to someone else. You would probably learn more, if you do it yourself :/
    The stuff is sorted by weight from 1-5, it might look weird because the links are missing between command and config file. But this was my intention, don't look at weight 1 stuff, while 5 is more important. So you know if they want to know the command or the config files :)
    http://pastebin.com/m36a8887b

Nearly nothing is copy/paste, except of a few command that are not copyright protected or something. Feel free to use it as you like :P

//edit: OK, I passed the 201 today :) The new objectives are networking, networking, networking. You have to know a lot about bind and zones, analyse tcp traffic, configure network, ssl, routing and ports. LVM is the next biggest subject. No openvpn, samba or nfs whatsoever. A little kernel and modules, system startup, filesystems which are not harder than in LPIC-1.

Here is what I got on the printout:
    Linux Kernel - 10 questions
    System Startup - 8 questions
    Filesystem and Devices - 10 questions
    Advanced Storage Device Administration - 6 questions
    Networking Configuration - 13 questions
    System Maintenance - 7 questions
    Domain Name Server - 6 questions

I know that's not 80 together :) I was wondering myself...
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    disi wrote: »
    Did anyone do the LPIC-2?

The objectives for 201 seem ok, but in 202 you could learn like everything and still don't pass.
    202 = apache+squid+NFS+postfix+sendmail+proftp+sshd+dhcp+bind etc.

Test is next week friday, any help welcome... icon_study.gif

//edit: Ok, I took all the detailed objectives 04/09 for 201 and made some notes. I thought this might be useful to someone else. You would probably learn more, if you do it yourself :/
    The stuff is sorted by weight from 1-5, it might look weird because the links are missing between command and config file. But this was my intention, don't look at weight 1 stuff, while 5 is more important. So you know if they want to know the command or the config files :)
    http://pastebin.com/m36a8887b

Nearly nothing is copy/paste, except of a few command that are not copyright protected or something. Feel free to use it as you like :P

//edit: OK, I passed the 201 today :) The new objectives are networking, networking, networking. You have to know a lot about bind and zones, analyse tcp traffic, configure network, ssl, routing and ports. LVM is the next biggest subject. No openvpn, samba or nfs whatsoever. A little kernel and modules, system startup, filesystems which are not harder than in LPIC-1.

Here is what I got on the printout:
    Linux Kernel - 10 questions
    System Startup - 8 questions
    Filesystem and Devices - 10 questions
    Advanced Storage Device Administration - 6 questions
    Networking Configuration - 13 questions
    System Maintenance - 7 questions
    Domain Name Server - 6 questions

I know that's not 80 together :) I was wondering myself...

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been using linux?
  • Options
    disidisi Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ~14 years, I used longtime DOS at home and started with RedHat and Suse.
    But only occasional professional...
  • Options
    Congradulations disi, you did it now! Don't expect the total on the summary to be 80 questions, they are (LPI) seeding the questions so there are questions that didn't count in the total but were usefull for the exam creators to measure how hard future questions should be...
  • Options
    An updated (and free) exam simulator on the web, from PenguinTutor:
    PenguinTutor - Linux Tutorials and LPI Certification Practice Exams Quiz Start Page

They have updated their simulator according to the new exam objectives, and it looks solid. It is clearly stated however, that this sim should only serve you to measure what should you review and not how well you are prepared for the exam.
    Great work by Stewart Watkiss...
  • Options
    Looking at the 102 exam objectives, the "sendmail emulation layer commands" line got me intrigued.
    What exactly qualifies as a sendmail emulation layer command? Is it the "mail" command that only supports local mailing?
    Google and the likes offered a pile of empty documents listing 102 objectives with nothing else...
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    Looking at the 102 exam objectives, the "sendmail emulation layer commands" line got me intrigued.
    What exactly qualifies as a sendmail emulation layer command? Is it the "mail" command that only supports local mailing?
    Google and the likes offered a pile of empty documents listing 102 objectives with nothing else...

The sendmail command was the first thing that popped into my head. The mail command would probably also be good to know.

Btw, if you have an MTA configured on the system that you're working on, then the mail command can be used to send emails to any address, not just local ones. Being able to selectively pipe the outputs of scripts through it is a useful skill.
  • Options
    But it says "emulation layer commands" after "sendmail". Of course if you have MTA configured to mail beyond local network you could do powerfull things with piping the output to email addresses... what finally constitutes emulation layer of sendmail?
  • Options
    LinuxG33kLinuxG33k Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats disi! Thanks for the outline, I will cross check my notes against it. I'm scheduled to take the 201 exam on the 21'st. Been really slacking on studying but I work good under pressure..least that's what I'm telling myself! ;)