Options

UNIX=CISCO=Microsoft holy crap! dirty

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Holy crap guys do you see what I see Microsoft is looking more and more like Linux holy sheeeeet! I was looking at Windows Powershell and man if it dont look like a cisco prompt or a unix prompt how it operates. Holy Budda! does anyone see this..I mean if you can't beat Linux, just look an smell just like them. wow! is that dirty or is that business???..

I dont think Linux has a chance now..the only thing linux has is it is free somewhat yet..but what else does linux have if MS$$ is trying to immitate
Linux/Unix world...yikes!icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's nice to see I'm not the only one that's drinking tonight ;)
  • Options
    dynamik

hahahhaahha funny dude funny!
    aahhaah

it just pisses me off that is all I mean yeah I think Powershell is cool
    but I would love to see Linux take some heavy ground...I just think it not good for MS$$ to dominate!

actually when I do drink it is MGD light 64 yeah! diet beer I call iticon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Umm okay... PowerShell is just a CLI shell and scripting engine. UNIX and for that matter Linux wasn't the inventor of the CLI or scripting language.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Be careful you are going to start a holy war. MS has done more with their CLI but to be closer to Unix/Linux they would need to at least offer a Windowless mode. I'm not sure what they would call it...
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't get it your point... The only thing any of them have in common is they are command line interfaces.

Maybe you are cut out for that CIO job after all ;)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    rsutton wrote: »
    Be careful you are going to start a holy war. MS has done more with their CLI but to be closer to Unix/Linux they would need to at least offer a Windowless mode. I'm not sure what they would call it...

I think Windows Server 2008 Core would be a good name! ;)
  • Options
    rsutton wrote: »
    You can already get console redirectors built into servers that show you all the text mode stuff during bootup. It'd be possible if a little bizarre to integrate something like aalib to handle the graphics mode stuff...
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Really?! Wasn't MS-DOS text based CLI? That's right, it was. Where have you been!?

Wonder why you left out the Mac/BSD stuff?
  • Options
    Blargo said:
    I don't get it your point... The only thing any of them have in common is they are command line interfaces.

Maybe you are cut out for that CIO job after all icon_wink.gif

Blargo, I am shocked dude you are a CCNA and MS dude, and you dont see the similarities? I guess I am a syntax guy..and you dam n right I am going to make a great CIO. I just may be your boss some day! So watch out:)

PC509, dude it is in the synax..do you computer program? you wont get it then..sorry
    MS DOS is old-school cli

you guys crack me up....blargo from a computer science perspective I guess you don't really see the similarities..I mean funny how they use even the key word "man" in powershell the same way you use it in linux; how obvious is that dude? I mean the way powershell works in regards to syntax, it is very cisco/linux like using Pipes for many things.. I guess you have to be a progammer to really see the similarities....have you even used powershell??? And MS Dos sure is CLI but nothing like Linux/Cisco command line. It is just funny how they steal another idea or feature from Unix/Linux/Cisco..like I said you have to be a computer programmer to really see the similarities..dont get me wrong..I think linux is great so I am on the side of linux in their holy war dudes, but it doesnt surprise me MS$$ using Linux conventions in the CLI that is my point..there is a big difference in using CLIs dudes way more that MS DOS..it is in the syntax..that is my point.icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    itdaddy the "conventions" you speak of have existed for >30 years. Neither Linux nor Microsoft "stole" them, they just went with what was familiar with people where it made sense; this is a good design practice.

Also something like "man" isn't really a PoSh command, it's just an alias to allow people familiar with a different script language or shell to quickly be productive. Again cheers to Microsoft here.

PoSh as a language is so far above and beyond the alternatives a direct comparison is difficult if not impossible.
  • Options
    astorrs

I just got done learning some things about powershell, and it seemd so linux/cisco CLI like that was all. And "man" is a part of Posh! Maybe not the huge part but it is used the same way as in linux. Why did they use it at all? Pish posh on the good design. Stolen that is what it is..And there are other synatx conventions that people love in Linux that Posh uses. Of course I think it is good design I like Posh very much..I think it is much easier the way linux/cisco command line is used and I think MS$$ does tooo. That is what I was saying but I will have to argue there is a difference between MS DOS and powershell/linux/cisco command line synatax. But you know as well as I do Linux uses the "man' command that is all I am saying..but like MS$$ they call things that everyone else has used for 30 years as their own..just a broken record I am.

But you can't deny the similarities.....and why is it so bad to point out methods of MS$$ without you guys going nutz? haah hahah I was just making a point. And you cannot deny the smilarties...that is already in use like you said >30 years. That is my point Astorrs exactly. You just confirmed it and MS$$ is finally using conventions of syntax that people love and are easier....

And yeah there are tons of languages but no matter what MS powershell is very very linux like in its syntax that was my point.Take from the best and call it your own..I love that....

And Blargo, I was just playing about the I will be your boss since you slammed me. But that is okay I am pumped to be a CIO...like I said, I will respect my engineers and techs cause they have gone thru the trentches of IT. I do know my syntax in languages no matter what any of you say to me. I was just making an observation..
    Thanks for chatting...I appreciate all your inputs no matter how much yu slam me..
    And I do understand how long syntax conventions have been out..but for sure Posh is very linux like..and that is okay with me. I am just partial to linux..I think it is a great OS..
    icon_study.gif
  • Options
    PoSh = PowerShell

Microsoft can't win. If they use the same conventions as somebody else, then you accuse them of stealing. If then make their own then you accuse them of being proprietory.

Lookup Microsoft SFU sometime. They're "stealing" UNIX!
  • Options
    tiersten,

yeah I caught myself with the Posh duh on my part..I thought it was some new language hahha my eyes are crap! terrible vision..haha
    but yeah I caught myself and I digress...

It is alright if they make their own stuff just calling things theirs when they take it from someone else. dont get me wrong. I like windows too.
    I think Posh is cool..but was my observation but my big mouth gets me into trouble..that is all. It would be nice to see linux give MS$$ a run for its money..that is all

Hahahah Tiersten,hahha great article ahahah i was right dirty rats! haha

I guess my biggest beef is I think MS$$ needs a big competitior..when you are the only bully on the block, kind of not good I feel. You need another force out there to drive the compeition and design even better. When you just have one company dominating their ideas, just seems to be a shame...I think we need a big competitor in the OS world to give MS a run for its money..and ours (which is the biggest complaint I have) competition drives down prices for all of us but when someone dominates, they can jack the price up for their products and we suffer not on in dollars but maybe even design and function. Always coming from one source one mind. I like many great minds not just one mind....
  • Options
    This link says it all! it is called sleeping with the enemy! wow
    and where have I been. I heard this 2 years ago but I never thought it was real? wow what a twist in the IT world..now they can steel and
    really it is not steeling..linux doesnt have a chance.. that sucks!

CEO Update

holy crap tiersten I just read the article on what did it say they were making a deal with Novell? or buying linux?? I thought this was a joke but it doesnt look like a joke..omg...this is some really juicy news wowow
    what a twist in the OS market..wow!
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote: »
    this is some really juicy news wowow
    what a twist in the OS market
    This isn't news, Microsoft invested (aka bailed out) Novell back in late 2006 and the two have been cooperating ever since - hence why SUSE is supported in Hyper-V, etc.

Quality in IT isn't an "us" vs. "them" thing and you really need to loose that mentality; it's really about making the best solutions (for a specific scenario) work together in the best way possible, so that it has a positive impact on both users, administrators and the overall business.
  • Options
    from a computer science perspective I guess you don't really see the similarities..I mean funny how they use even the key word "man" in powershell the same way you use it in linux; how obvious is that dude?
    The same way you can use "dir" in linux?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    And Blargo, I was just playing about the I will be your boss since you slammed me.
    You didn't catch the winky ;) in my post? ;)

I think most of us are happy to discuss the evil deeds of the M$ empire, but I just don't this is that great of an example. MS, *nix, Cisco, hell even Apple, they all copy from each other in some form or another to try to draw the crowds over from the users of the other systems.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Options
    yeah there is Dir in linux as well but I was just shocked how Cisco/Linux like the Posh was...I guess I have issues (icon_lol.gif) with MS$$$ being so big and dominating the IT world..just pisses me off and I get off on tangents sometimes and yeah you are equally right...I am getting old that is what happens sometimes when you get old you go off on tangents..but since MS$$ is the dominent one and leave no room for anyone else, I get pumped about it and when I was playing with Posh, I felt like I was on a Cisco router or Linux system..dude but you are right and yeah I did see your winky my bad..I need to calm down haahhahahah..just pisses me off though that MS$$ keeps dominating the IT world..before you know it all of us will work for Micrsoft directly vs indirectly. Before long it will be called USB not USA United States of Bill hahahahahah...I want something different. And man I was watching the video on MS merging with Novell 2006 OMG no wonder MS is going to look more and more like Linux they have their code and can do what they want since they are merged..wow
    MS is very smart and very rich..I hate that..hahah cheers mate...
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    I'll never understand why people think MS is such an evil empire thats out to get them.

If it wasnt for them, a lot of us wouldnt have our current careers.

and yeah, they borrow stuff from other vendors....but i would say there are more people copying or riding the back of MS than the other way around.

MS deserves what it has because its been run well and earned it.

I remember reading an article talking about how for every 1$ that MS makes, its partners make 8$. So it also takes care of its consituents.
  • Options
    Jordus wrote: »
    I'll never understand why people think MS is such an evil empire thats out to get them.
    They are out there to get them though. Microsoft isn't a nice company. You don't get to the top if you're nice. Any big corporation isn't nice though. It isn't specific to Microsoft.

I'm just amazed by how people seem to think that Apple and Google are "good". At least Apple could be called the underdog, Google however is the 300lbs gorilla.

That said, I use Apple, Google and Microsoft products. They're all companies who are trying to earn money and I'm fine with that.
    Jordus wrote: »
    MS deserves what it has because its been run well and earned it.
    Whilst they have earnt it, I wouldn't say they were particularly run well. They've made some exceptionally dubious decisions. They've actively tried to squash the competition which I'd count as evil empire stuff.
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    tiersten wrote: »
    They are out there to get them though. Microsoft isn't a nice company. You don't get to the top if you're nice. Any big corporation isn't nice though. It isn't specific to Microsoft.

I'm just amazed by how people seem to think that Apple and Google are "good". At least Apple could be called the underdog, Google however is the 300lbs gorilla.

Noone expects them to be a benevolent company like a charity or non-profit likely is. Business is business, afterall.

But in the end, I've rarely seen many false advertisements come from microsoft and with all the MS consultants and direct employees ive dealt with, none have ever lied to me (that ive found out).

Apple's commercials blatantly lie and play on the misinformation that non-IT people have, which is what i would consider more evil than anything micrsoft has done. *shrug*
  • Options
    No IT experience needed to be a CIO (Chief Informations Officer) yeah! I am going to rock as a CIO!

Sarah Palin's CIO on Hunting for Bear and IT Staff - CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership_

icon_scratch.gif

gee why hire and IT person who knows IT? huh? CIO for Alaska..

this is the example guys I should have used. I am not cracked (okay some of you guys think I am but man is the money just rolling out of IT departments on stuff they just don't need...oh yeah it is free money Grants...only my son and his sons will have to pay for it! ahaha
    hahaahahaah!

man I am going to be an CIO IT God when I get into be CIO..for sure !
  • Options
    I'd take a CIO with strong business skills and who is well respected by his colleagues over someone who is very technical anyday. A good CIO will surround themselves with appropriate line managers/directors who in turn will surround themselves with SMEs.

Their job is to communicate the direction of the company to IT and steer (at a high level) the IT department(s). Enterprise architects, program managers and IT dept managers are the ones who figure out how to best meet the companies needs. SMEs within those depts will provide much of the detail to those plans.

And if you argue how it should work in a small company - anyone calling themselves a CIO running an IT department of 20 people is just an IT Manager, at best an IT Director/VP. ;)
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    No IT experience needed to be a CIO (Chief Informations Officer) yeah! I am going to rock as a CIO!

Sarah Palin's CIO on Hunting for Bear and IT Staff - CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership_

icon_scratch.gif

gee why hire and IT person who knows IT? huh? CIO for Alaska..

this is the example guys I should have used. I am not cracked (okay some of you guys think I am but man is the money just rolling out of IT departments on stuff they just don't need...oh yeah it is free money Grants...only my son and his sons will have to pay for it! ahaha
    hahaahahaah!

man I am going to be an CIO IT God when I get into be CIO..for sure !
    icon_scratch.gif
    Um, isn't this the "Microsoft sucks" thread and not the "CIOs are stupid thread"?? I'm confused.

Anywho, PUHLEASE, can we let this just die? Pretty please? We get it - you think Microsoft is stealing from everyone else and Microsoft is evil, and you think that CIOs are all stupid and nontechnical and therefore entirely inept at their jobs. I'm pretty sure the horse is dead, no need to beat it any further.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    ... I'm confused...
    Looks like I was too, it's hard to keep the rants straight. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    skrpune wrote: »
    icon_scratch.gif
    Um, isn't this the "Microsoft sucks" thread and not the "CIOs are stupid thread"?? I'm confused.

Anywho, PUHLEASE, can we let this just die? Pretty please? We get it - you think Microsoft is stealing from everyone else and Microsoft is evil, and you think that CIOs are all stupid and nontechnical and therefore entirely inept at their jobs. I'm pretty sure the horse is dead, no need to beat it any further.

FWIW, I just use the 'Ignore List'.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    dynamik wrote: »
    It's nice to see I'm not the only one that's drinking tonight ;)

I haven't read the whole thread yet but for some reason I think dynamik's post is the most relevant here.... ;p

hehe

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    oh yeah and

'You stay classy, Tech Exams'

I'm Ron Bu-rgund-y??

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Wonderful resource thanks. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote: »
    Wonderful resource thanks. icon_thumright.gif

Why would anyone ignore such amusing threads?

Also, FWIW, most state-level CIOs or CIOs of state departments are political appointees, which is really a totally different ballgame. You might never see a state CIO leading any kind of significant organization outside of state government.

MS