Options

Trouble adding domain user and pinging

penguinkingpenguinking Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've got a Tablet WinXP Pro laptop that I'm trying to add as a user to a domain controller running 03 Server. I've set up the DC as a DHCP and DNS server as well. Here's the ipconfig /all for the WinXP Pro Tablet:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration
        Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : E-TABLET

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
        Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti

on
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : *edited*

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network

Connection

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.52

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

And here's the ipconfig /all for the 03 Server:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : enterpri-twm2d5
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : EAD.local
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : EAD.local

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethern
et NIC
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

I get the following error message when attempting to add my Tablet to my domain, which is named EAD.local:
Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain EAD.local:

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.EAD.local

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

EAD.local
local
. (the root zone)

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

Also, if anyone is curious, my Tablet is able to ping the 03 Server box, but my 03 Server box is not able to ping my Tablet. My tablet is wirelessly connected to a 2WIRE router via WPA, while my 03 Server is simply connected via Cat5e to the router itself.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to set the client's DNS server to point to internal DNS server, not your gateway. It has to look up the SRV records to find a DC.

All your client machines should point to your internal DNS server. You can then configure your internal DNS server to forward DNS requests to your gateway (if you prefer) or just let it resolve external queries on its own. I typically forward requests to my ISP's DNS servers.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    How is your IP 192.168.1.1 and your gateway 192.168.1.254? I assumed the gateway was always lower than your IP. Never really thought about it or tested it. But this just doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You need to set the client's DNS server to point to internal DNS server, not your gateway. It has to look up the SRV records to find a DC.

All your client machines should point to your internal DNS server. You can then configure your internal DNS server to forward DNS requests to your gateway (if you prefer) or just let it resolve external queries on its own. I typically forward requests to my ISP's DNS servers.
    Your DC should also be pointing to itself for DNS. You then set up forwarding in your DNS server to your other gateway/DNS server.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    How is your IP 192.168.1.1 and your gateway 192.168.1.254? I assumed the gateway was always lower than your IP. Never really thought about it or tested it. But this just doesn't make sense to me.

Wow... and you have your mcse and ccent... icon_sad.gif
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options

It's completely arbitrary. Most people either use the first or last address in a subnet, but you could put it anywhere in between as well. As long as you put in the IP for the correct device, nothing else matters (though it may make things a bit more difficult to keep track of).
    Your DC should also be pointing to itself for DNS. You then set up forwarding in your DNS server to your other gateway/DNS server.

Only if your DC is also running DNS; you can have them on separate servers :D

You clarification was correct though. I was just stressing that he should configure DHCP to hand out the internal server for his other machines as well. I assume his servers are static.
  • Options
    OK dynamik, so I set my client's DNS IP to my Server's IP address (192.168.1.1, and this machine is also my DC and DNS), and while it does look like it was about to work (it took much longer to make a decision before failing), it still failed. I think I've isolated it as a DNS setup issue on my server, which leads me to ask, how do I get my internal DNS server to forward DNS requests to my gateway so my ISP can deal with DNS resolution? Btw, here's the new failure message I got:
    The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain EAD.local:

The error was: "This operation returned because the timeout period expired."
    (error code 0x000005B4 ERROR_TIMEOUT)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.EAD.local

The DNS servers used by this computer for name resolution are not responding. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

Verify that this computer is connected to the network, that these are the correct DNS server IP addresses, and that at least one of the DNS servers is running.

For more information on how to correct this problem, click Help.

Somehow, when setting up DC's in the past, I never encountered this problem. DNS set itself up just fine and I guess I never really thought DNS requests weren't already automatically forwarded to default gateway.
  • Options
    You don't need to setup forwarding; that just allows you to offload DNS query processing/traffic to something else. Server 2003 will resolve queries just fine on its own. Even if that were setup incorrectly, it wouldn't matter here since you'd only need internal DNS records anyway.

That sounds like a basic connectivity problem. Can you access file shares, web pages, or anything else on the server? You said it's responding to pings, correct?

Regarding your original ping question, I would assume that your Tablet has the firewall on, which is why it will not respond to pings.
  • Options
    I turned off the Windows firewall on both the tablet and server, but the server still couldn't ping the tablet, while the tablet had no trouble pinging the server. They're on the same subnet, 192.168.1.x, with the tablet being host .52 and the server host .1. And the server has no problem connecting to the Internet, while the Tablet doesn't connect to the Internet anymore once I changed it's DNS address to point to my internal DNS addy from my server (192.168.1.1).

I think it has to be a connectivity issue, but aside from replacing all the Cat5 cables, I'm not sure what else to do. However, I have been getting dropped packets; at one point last week I would consistently get dropped packets when pinging my server from my tablet, but worst case it was 25% lost packets. It would always be the first packet too, which was weird. I had the same problem with dropped packets when I was pinging the server from my Vista laptop. Loss rate was about 25%.
  • Options
    Also, my tablet and server are both statically configured, while my Vista laptop that has the exact same problems pinging, is DHCP configured with the following ipconfig /all:
    Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : laptop1
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.2wire.net
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : *edited*
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.67(Preferred)
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 01, 2009 2:48:45 PM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 02, 2009 2:48:45 PM
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218112607
       DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . :*edited*

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : *edited*

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : *edited*
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.gateway.2wire.net

• Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Since your client and server are on the same subnet, why are you using a router to talk? Or does this 2Wire router have switch ports that they're both connected to?

Since the servers packets don't come back, it leads me to believe the laptop doesn't know where to send them back to and thus you're using a router. Router interfaces should each be on different subnets though, as it's one of their main jobs to segment broadcast domains. If they are on a switch, you shouldn't be having these problems. Different subnets = different Gateway's so either the client or the server has the wrong gateway.

Can you show us a 'route print' for both the client & server if they're connected to a router?

An 'arp -a' if connected to a switch built in to the Router?

The only thing confusing me is how the server could be getting online if the gateway is wrong...unless there is a static default route in place on the router or the Server?

Can you show us the config of the router?

I don't think this is a DNS issue but to prove it, can you try 'ping -a enterpri-twm2d5'? Also, what comes up when you type 'ipconfig /displaydns'?

Oh and your packet loss in my estimation is probably due to something interfering with your wireless channel. If B/G try using Ch 1, 6 or 11. If I remember right, those are the non-overlapping channels. Otherwise, try A (5Ghz) instead.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    The 2wire is a Qwest (possibly other ISPs as well) device that is an all-in-one unit. For all intents and purposes, it's just a switch in this scenario. There're all on the same subnet, so routing shouldn't factor into the equation.

It may certainly be a wireless problem. I'd plug it in to eliminate that possibility. While 1, 6, and 11 don't overlap, another device (i.e. a neighbor) transmitting on the same channel will cause interference, as will things like microwaves, 2.4ghz phones, etc.

Do you have another machine (or virtual machine) that you can use to try to connect to the domain? That will help determine whether the problem lies with your DC or the specific configuration on that machine.

You really only need to point the DNS to your internal DNS server and provide the correct credentials, and you should be set. There's not a lot involved with this process.

Also, I wouldn't worry a great deal about the first packet being lost. Sometimes it takes a bit to find the proper path, and it may time out before that happens. If subsequent ones are returned, there shouldn't be a problem. It's still odd that that's happening on your LAN (which should respond very quickly), so you may indeed be looking at some sort of wireless problem.
  • Options
    OK, so I used an old WinXP Pro desktop via Cat5e to eliminate the possibility of it being an 802.11 issue. I was not able to ping the WinXP Pro desktop from my server, same way I wasn't able to ping my two laptops (connected wirelessly) from my server. It has to be a DNS issue from the server end. But just for kicks, here's my "route print" from the server and wifi laptop I'm trying to add to my domain:
    SERVER

F:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ENTERPRI-TWM2D5>route print

IPv4 Route Table
    ===========================================================================
    Interface List
    0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
    0x10003 ...*edited* ...... Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
    NIC
    Active Routes:
    Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
              0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    192.168.1.254      192.168.1.1     20
            127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1      1
          192.168.1.0    255.255.255.0      192.168.1.1      192.168.1.1     20
          192.168.1.1  255.255.255.255        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1     20
        192.168.1.255  255.255.255.255      192.168.1.1      192.168.1.1     20
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0      192.168.1.1      192.168.1.1     20
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255      192.168.1.1      192.168.1.1      1
    Default Gateway:     192.168.1.254
    Persistent Routes:
      None

CLIENT:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>route print
    Interface List
    0x2 ...*edited* ...... Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet
    Scheduler Miniport
    0x3 ...*edited*...... Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
    - Packet Scheduler Miniport
    Active Routes:
              0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0    192.168.1.254     192.168.1.3       25
            127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0        127.0.0.1       127.0.0.1       1
          169.254.0.0      255.255.0.0      192.168.1.3     192.168.1.3       20
          192.168.1.0    255.255.255.0      192.168.1.3     192.168.1.3       25
          192.168.1.3  255.255.255.255        127.0.0.1       127.0.0.1       25
        192.168.1.255  255.255.255.255      192.168.1.3     192.168.1.3       25
            224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0      192.168.1.3     192.168.1.3       25
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255      192.168.1.3     192.168.1.3       1
      255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255      192.168.1.3               2       1
    Default Gateway:     192.168.1.254
    Persistent Routes:
      None

I think it could be a local security database issue, because I have a password set up on my laptop (local, independent of my server), maybe somehow that does not allow me to add my laptop to the domain? It's an SP3 WinXP laptop. Firewalls disable on both the WinXP Pro SP3 laptop and WinXP Pro SP3 desktop.

Also, I used channel 11 when I set up my WPA network, so that shouldn't be a problem, and I don't have cordless phones anywhere here so interference from that would be impossible (though I have no clue about my neighbors). Also, my router is a 2Wire 2700HG-B, essentially acting as the switch as dynamik said.
  • Options
    Here's an arp -a from the server and wifi laptop:
    SERVER

F:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ENTERPRI-TWM2D5>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.1 --- 0x10003

Internet Address      Physical Address      Type

192.168.1.254         *edited*              dynamic

CLIENT

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.3 --- 0x3
      Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
      192.168.1.254         *edited*     dynamic

• Options
    OK According to the Route print from your server, the Default route (0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 192.168.1.1) is pointing to 192.168.1.254. That's why the server can get online, it's pointing to the correct gateway for anything it doesn't have a route for, e.g. public IP addresses.

The problem here is this entry:
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.1

Your server thinks that anything in the 192.168.1.0 subnet needs to be directed to its own interface, which doesn't have routes so the packets are discarded.

Take the Gateway out of your server NIC cards TCP/IP settings and leave it blank. Since your using a switch on the same segment(subnet), you don't need it. After this you should be able to ping the client from the server and if you can do that, you'll be able to join the tablet to the domain.
  • Options
    ^ I left the gateway blank for both the server and client and still can't ping the client from the server, but I can (still) ping the server from the client. When I left the gateway blank for the server it immediately was unable to connect to the Internet, btw. Here's the route print and ipconfig for the server when I left the gateway blank:
    F:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ENTERPRI-TWM2D5>route print

IPv4 Route Table

Interface List

0x10003 ... *edited*.... Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet

NIC

Active Routes:

127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1      1

192.168.1.0    255.255.255.0      192.168.1.1      192.168.1.1     20

192.168.1.1  255.255.255.255        127.0.0.1        127.0.0.1     20

192.168.1.255  255.255.255.255      192.168.1.1      192.168.1.1     20

224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0      192.168.1.1      192.168.1.1     20

255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255      192.168.1.1      192.168.1.1      1

Persistent Routes:

None

F:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ENTERPRI-TWM2D5>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

• Options
    Like I said earlier, the gateway, routes, etc. aren't going matter since both machines are on the same subnet.
  • Options
    ^ Yeah, well, any other suggestions just let me know. Perhaps you have some DNS suggestions for the server? I have the following checkboxs/radials checked for DNS under the TCP/IP properties settings:

Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes (radially checked)
    Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix (box checked)
    Append these DNS suffixes (unchecked)
    Register this connection's addresses in DNS (box checked)
    Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration (unchecked)

I appreciate the help dynamik.
  • Options
    Try running dcdiag and netdiag on the server (you need to install the support tools).
  • Options
    Hmm, well that stinks. :) I understand where Dynamik is coming from but I still think it's a network problem since the Tablet can ping the server but not vice versa. I mean, you're only pinging IPs right? If so then there's no DNS involved here at all.

Obviously you'll need to put the gateway back in since w/o it, the Default Route disappeared. You'll need that for Internet Access.

I noticed though that on the Server, your only arp entry was:
    Interface: 192.168.1.1 --- 0x10003

Internet Address Physical Address Type

192.168.1.254 *edited* dynamic

Can you try manually entering in an ARP entry for the laptops 192.168.1.3 IP Address onto the server {arp -s 192.168.1.3 XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX}? What does a ping result in then?

Is the 2wire switch configurable? If so, can you verify that there isn't a configuration in it that could be preventing normal switch behavior?
  • Options
    dynamik
    Exotic Dancer+
    Registered Member

When did this happen? Is the job really going that poorly? heh
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Out of curiosity can the tablet ping the desktop and vice versa via ip? Only the server can't ping either of them by ip? Does the server get back responses from the gateway if you try to ping it? Is there anything in the 2wire that would be isolating clients? Any chance you have a hub lying around that you could try putting the server and the desktop on to see if they can ping each other through that? Once you have traffic going back and forth everything else should cascade into place. Definitely make sure those Windows firewalls are off.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's absolutely not a network problem, but when all devices are on the same subnet, there's no routing/layer-3 activity involved. It's not going to hit the default gateway or anything else since it knows it's on the same subnet (this is what the subnet mask is for). It could be some sort of layer-2 problem, such as interference with the wifi, incorrectly cached arp values (though that cache expires fairly quickly, so that's unlikely to be a problem after this amount of time), etc.
  • Options
    undomiel, I am able to ping my gateway from the server, Tablet, Vista laptop, and WinXP Pro desktop. I am able to ping my server from my Tablet, Vista laptop, and desktop. However, the Tablet, Vista laptop, and desktop cannot ping each other. I get messages of "Request timed out" each and every time and each computer. I get the same "Request timed out" messages when trying to ping the tablet, vista laptop, and desktop from my server. And yes, I'm only pinging using the IP address, not a name.

I have no reason to believe my 2wire router is isolating anything, but I'll do a test with a hub or switch as soon as I can. My 2Wire 2700HG-B (version 4.25.19) has the following hardware firewall settings:
    Checking the box allows the associated traffic type through the firewall.

[b]Outbound[/b]
    HTTP (checked)
    HTTPS (checked)
    FTP (checked)
    Telnet (checked)
    SMTP (checked)
    DNS (checked)
    NetBIOS (unchecked)
    POP3 (checked)
    IMAP (checked)
    NNTP (checked)
    IRC (checked)
    H323 (checked)
    All Other Protocols (checked)

[b]Inbound[/b]
    Remote Management (checked)
    NetBIOS (unchecked)

[b]Check to detect the types of attacks below:[/b]
    	Excessive Session Detection (unchecked)
    	TCP/UDP Port Scan (checked)
    	Invalid Source/Destination IP address (checked)
    	Packet Flood (SYN/UDP/ICMP/Other) (checked)
    	Invalid TCP Flag Attacks (NULL/XMAS/Other) (checked)
    	Invalid ICMP Detection (checked)
    	Miscellaneous (checked)

• Options
    Also, I'm having trouble finding updated Server 03 downloads on MS' website for the dcdiag tools and such. They only have Win2K.
  • Options
    I'm not saying it's absolutely not a network problem, but when all devices are on the same subnet, there's no routing/layer-3 activity involved. It's not going to hit the default gateway or anything else since it knows it's on the same subnet (this is what the subnet mask is for). It could be some sort of layer-2 problem, such as interference with the wifi, incorrectly cached arp values (though that cache expires fairly quickly, so that's unlikely to be a problem after this amount of time), etc.

Well color me embarassed. I'm about as useful as an ashtray on a Harley. :)

Seriously though, Dynamik is right about the Subnet Mask. Because they match the traffic would never involve the gateway. My thinking was that multiple gateways would cause a problem. Also, I'm not super familiar with Route print results but it looks like it's normal to have an entry with the subnet your computer is on with a gateway/interface of the PCs IP address. Since this points to the loopback address I'm not sure what it's for but oh well.

I think there's something going on with the switch though. Have you ever used this switch before w/o problems?
  • Options
    Aw, there's nothing to feel bad about. I think you're a lot like me and you hope problems are more complex than they actually are. Who doesn't want a challenge, right?

Plus, you clearly have much better analogies! icon_cheers.gif

As far as the actual problem is concerned, I'd definitely go with dcdiag and netdiag as the next steps for troubleshooting.
  • Options

Only if your DC is also running DNS; you can have them on separate servers :D

You clarification was correct though. I was just stressing that he should configure DHCP to hand out the internal server for his other machines as well. I assume his servers are static.
    He doesnt have them on seperate servers, he has his router setup as his DNS server.

If the ipconfig /all from your domain controller shows a router as it's only DNS entry then something is very very wrong and a lot of things won't work. Like SRV records perhaps.
  • Options
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    Wow... and you have your mcse and ccent... icon_sad.gif
    Like I said, I never really thought about it. It's just that every network I've ever came accross (including the networks on the CCENT and Microsoft exams) had the gateway setup as the first available IP in the range. This was my first time seeing it any other way, I apoligize.
  • Options
    He doesnt have them on seperate servers, he has his router setup as his DNS server.

If the ipconfig /all from your domain controller shows a router as it's only DNS entry then something is very very wrong and a lot of things won't work. Like SRV records perhaps.

Exactly. I was just speaking generally.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Right now I'm pointing my finger at the 2wire router. I'm definitely interested in seeing how network communications will go from behind a hub instead.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/