Options

Trouble adding domain user and pinging

2»

Comments

• Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    Can someone please explain why this may be a networking issue? If it were a networking issue wouldn't he be getting a "domain not found" error when trying to join instead of the SRV error he's getting below.

Code:
    Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain EAD.local:The error was: "DNS name does not exist."(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.EAD.localCommon causes of this error include the following:- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:EAD.locallocal. (the root zone)

He's getting a DNS error, so why are we troubleshooting routing???? He clearly has his server set up wrong and the answer was given to him back on page 1.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain why this may be a networking issue? If it were a networking issue wouldn't he be getting a "domain not found" error when trying to join instead of the SRV error he's getting below.

Code:
    Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain EAD.local:The error was: "DNS name does not exist."(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.EAD.localCommon causes of this error include the following:- The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS.- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:EAD.locallocal. (the root zone)

He's getting a DNS error, so why are we troubleshooting routing???? He clearly has his server set up wrong and the answer was given to him back on page 1.

I never said it was likely a networking problem either, just that it was a possibility. Maybe the DNS data is getting corrupted. Underlying networking issues could manifest themselves in all sorts of weird ways. It's always good to be mindful of that and check cables, try wired instead of wireless, etc. if you get weird errors.
    Evan Lieb wrote: »
    Also, I'm having trouble finding updated Server 03 downloads on MS' website for the dcdiag tools and such. They only have Win2K.

Sorry, I missed this response. They're part of the support tools: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 Support Tools
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Here's my reasoning at least, rwwest7. With all sorts of computers not able to ping each other it leans heavily towards there being a networking issue. Also if you will look a bit farther down the thread you will see that he corrects pointing to the proper DNS server. Now instead of not finding SRV records it times out. That means that the client is not communicating with the server at all. That's another reason why I'm believing it to be a networking issue. We'll get through this eventually though and find out! :)

Another test that could be done is going into the nslookup CLI and seeing if it can look up anything from the server. Also run the same test from the server itself to see if there is resolution on the server outside of the network.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I know I'm coming in late here but If you can't ping by IP why even worry about DNS?

Are you sure you don't have any other software on the computer(s) that could be blocking ICMP requests? Are you sure the 2wire isn't blockign ICMP?

I would swap out the 2wire with a hub or a switch and see if you can ping between devices.

Sorry if some of this was already said/covered, I'm still a bit hungover from the weekend.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    rsutton wrote: »
    I know I'm coming in late here but If you can't ping by IP why even worry about DNS?

Are you sure you don't have any other software on the computer(s) that could be blocking ICMP requests? Are you sure the 2wire isn't blockign ICMP?

I would swap out the 2wire with a hub or a switch and see if you can ping between devices.

Sorry if some of this was already said/covered, I'm still a bit hungover from the weekend.

He does indicate that his server is unable to ping his tablet pc, but his tablet pc can ping the server.

I would also recommend swapping the port that the server is plugged into on the isp router, just to make sure that port isn't having issues.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    He does indicate that his server is unable to ping his tablet pc, but his tablet pc can ping the server.

I would also recommend swapping the port that the server is plugged into on the isp router, just to make sure that port isn't having issues.
    The firewall in XP and Vista by default bocks incoming ICMP ping requests but does not block the ports needed to join a domain. So it's very possible to join a domain without ever being able to ping. Has the OP ever stated he disabled the firewalls on his client computers?
  • Options
    The firewall in XP and Vista by default bocks incoming ICMP ping requests but does not block the ports needed to join a domain. So it's very possible to join a domain without ever being able to ping. Has the OP ever stated he disabled the firewalls on his client computers?

Reply #9 indicates that he disabled the Windows Firewall on all pc's involved.
  • Options
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Reply #9 indicates that he disabled the Windows Firewall on all pc's involved.
    Thanks, I see that now.

If the XP client can ping the server, then the cabling between them should be good because the server is sending a reply back and it's getting to the XP client. The server not being able to ping the XP client has to be a problem with the XP client. If routing was messed up then the reply would not make it back or the request would never get to the server. They're both using the same router, but that's irrelevant because they're on the same subnet. Something on that client is blocking ICMP requests. Maybe he's installed a 3rd party anti-virus/firewall program like Norton or McAfee?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the XP client can ping the server, then the cabling between them should be good because the server is sending a reply back and it's getting to the XP client.

That's why I haven't been focusing on the ping problem. I'm more curious to see what dcdiag and netdiag come up with.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Evan Lieb wrote: »
    undomiel, I am able to ping my gateway from the server, Tablet, Vista laptop, and WinXP Pro desktop. I am able to ping my server from my Tablet, Vista laptop, and desktop. However, the Tablet, Vista laptop, and desktop cannot ping each other. I get messages of "Request timed out" each and every time and each computer. I get the same "Request timed out" messages when trying to ping the tablet, vista laptop, and desktop from my server. And yes, I'm only pinging using the IP address, not a name.

Wanted to point out that none of the PC's can ping each other so I think it's unlikely to be something on the PCs. I think the OP would know if he had some kind of firewall running on 'em.

I'm curious as to whether or not the OP manually entered in a MAC address for one of the PCs using ARP -s to see if it it gets replies afterwards? I don't really think this will work since the servers ARP table didn't have any entry for anything other than the GW but it's worth a shot.

Any chance you have Wireshark installed and can take a look at the packets?

I'll make this more complicated yet! :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Wanted to point out that none of the PC's can ping each other so I think it's unlikely to be something on the PCs. I think the OP would know if he had some kind of firewall running on 'em.

I'm curious as to whether or not the OP manually entered in a MAC address for one of the PCs using ARP -s to see if it it gets replies afterwards? I don't really think this will work since the servers ARP table didn't have any entry for anything other than the GW but it's worth a shot.

Any chance you have Wireshark installed and can take a look at the packets?

I'll make this more complicated yet! :)
    I think we're all nuking this. It's not like he has 15 Cisco routers configured in OSPF areas. He has a simple made for home router connecting a couple PC's. And seeing as how he doesn't have the DNS on his Domain Controller set up properly I wouldn't assume anything about 3rd party firewalls. I've seen it happen more times than I can count where someone doesn't realize that the "client security" software they installed was blocking pretty much everything except internet.

It also seems he's abandoned this thread, so he's likely figured it out by now anyway.
  • Options
    penguinkingpenguinking Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope, didn't figure it out, but I finally got home today as fast as I could and ran the dcdiag and netdiag utilities. Here's what I got:
    Domain Controller Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
       Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\ENTERPRI-TWM2D5
          Starting test: Connectivity
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\ENTERPRI-TWM2D5
          Starting test: Replications
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test Replications
          Starting test: NCSecDesc
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test NCSecDesc
          Starting test: NetLogons
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test NetLogons
          Starting test: Advertising
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test Advertising
          Starting test: KnowsOfRoleHolders
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test KnowsOfRoleHolder
    s
          Starting test: RidManager
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test RidManager
          Starting test: MachineAccount
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test MachineAccount
          Starting test: Services
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test Services
          Starting test: ObjectsReplicated
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test ObjectsReplicated

Starting test: frssysvol
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test frssysvol
          Starting test: frsevent
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test frsevent
          Starting test: kccevent
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test kccevent
          Starting test: systemlog
             An Error Event occured.  EventID: 0x00000416
                Time Generated: 08/03/2009   20:25:07
                Event String: The DHCP/BINL service on the local machine,
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 failed test systemlog
          Starting test: VerifyReferences
             ......................... ENTERPRI-TWM2D5 passed test VerifyReferences

Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones
          Starting test: CrossRefValidation
             ......................... ForestDnsZones passed test CrossRefValidation

Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
             ......................... ForestDnsZones passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones
             ......................... DomainDnsZones passed test CrossRefValidation

......................... DomainDnsZones passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : Schema
             ......................... Schema passed test CrossRefValidation
             ......................... Schema passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : Configuration
             ......................... Configuration passed test CrossRefValidation
             ......................... Configuration passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running partition tests on : EAD
             ......................... EAD passed test CrossRefValidation
             ......................... EAD passed test CheckSDRefDom

Running enterprise tests on : EAD.local
          Starting test: Intersite
             ......................... EAD.local passed test Intersite
          Starting test: FsmoCheck
             ......................... EAD.local passed test FsmoCheck

Computer Name: ENTERPRI-TWM2D5
        DNS Host Name: enterpri-twm2d5.EAD.local
        System info : Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 (Build 3790)
        Processor : x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel
        List of installed hotfixes :
            KB923561
            KB924667-v2
            KB925398_WMP64
            KB925876
            KB925902-v2
            KB926122
            KB926139-v2
            KB927891
            KB929123
            KB930178
            KB932168
            KB933854
            KB936357
            KB936782
            KB938127
            KB938464-v2
            KB941569
            KB943055
            KB943460
            KB943729
            KB944338-v2
            KB944653
            KB945553
            KB946026
            KB948496
            KB950762
            KB950974
            KB951066
            KB951748
            KB952004
            KB952069
            KB952954
            KB954550-v5
            KB954600
            KB955069
            KB955839
            KB956572
            KB956802
            KB956803
            KB957097
            KB958644
            KB958687
            KB959426
            KB960225
            KB960803
            KB961063
            KB961118
            KB961371
            KB961501
            KB967715
            KB968537
            KB969805
            KB969897
            KB969897-IE8
            KB970238
            KB971633
            KB971930-IE8
            KB972260-IE8
            KB972636-IE8
            KB973346
            Q147222

Netcard queries test . . . . . . . : Passed

Per interface results:

Adapter : Local Area Connection

Netcard queries test . . . : Passed

Host Name. . . . . . . . . : enterpri-twm2d5
            IP Address . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
            Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
            Default Gateway. . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
            Dns Servers. . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

AutoConfiguration results. . . . . . : Passed

Default gateway test . . . : Passed

NetBT name test. . . . . . : Passed
            [WARNING] At least one of the <00> 'WorkStation Service', <03> 'Messenge
    r Service', <20> 'WINS' names is missing.

WINS service test. . . . . : Skipped
                There are no WINS servers configured for this interface.

Global results:

Domain membership test . . . . . . : Passed

NetBT transports test. . . . . . . : Passed
        List of NetBt transports currently configured:
            NetBT_Tcpip_{72378097-AD84-4BDD-936D-32977DDFF0B1}
        1 NetBt transport currently configured.

Autonet address test . . . . . . . : Passed

IP loopback ping test. . . . . . . : Passed

Default gateway test . . . . . . . : Passed

NetBT name test. . . . . . . . . . : Passed
        [WARNING] You don't have a single interface with the <00> 'WorkStation Servi
    ce', <03> 'Messenger Service', <20> 'WINS' names defined.

Winsock test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
        PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on DNS server '192.168.1.1'

Redir and Browser test . . . . . . : Passed
        List of NetBt transports currently bound to the Redir
        The redir is bound to 1 NetBt transport.

List of NetBt transports currently bound to the browser
        The browser is bound to 1 NetBt transport.

DC discovery test. . . . . . . . . : Passed

DC list test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

Trust relationship test. . . . . . : Skipped

Kerberos test. . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

LDAP test. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

Bindings test. . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

WAN configuration test . . . . . . : Skipped
        No active remote access connections.

Modem diagnostics test . . . . . . : Passed

IP Security test . . . . . . . . . : Skipped

Note: run "netsh ipsec dynamic show /?" for more detailed information

The command completed successfully

F:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.ENTERPRI-TWM2D5>

I have another router laying around so I might get to installing that tonight and seeing what happens (I'll try hard to get a layer 1/2 device too). I'll let you guys know ASAP.

And I really appreciate all the help/replies. These are seemingly very simple problems that I've never encountered with any other DC setup before.
  • Options
    Could you possibly write whats listed in your DNS settings under the Forward Lookup Zone...domain name..._tcp section?

And what kind of Anti-Virus software is your XP machine running?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it isn't a DNS issue from this line: DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

I'm interested to see what the results will be from trying a different router and/or switch.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it isn't a DNS issue from this line: DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

I'm interested to see what the results will be from trying a different router and/or switch.
    Don't forget a ping tests connectivity both ways:

The client sends out ping request addressed to the servers MAC address.

The server receives the request, then sends back a ping reply addressed to the clients MAC address.

So, the server can send a ping reply to the client computer but for some reason when it sends a ping request to the exact same address the router gets confused???

http://www.inetdaemon.com/tools/ping/how_ping_works.shtml
  • Options
    penguinkingpenguinking Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I tried a new hub, switch, and router with no luck. But after wasting that hour of my life, I finally figured that maybe the recently installed anti-virus was the culprit, and I figured since I had tried everything else I might as well uninstall Comodo to see what happened. And even though I "exited" the program, it was still setting my firewall policies in the background like a punk apparently, and of course bam, after the uninstall I'm able to add a domain, ping better, make love longer, etc.

Thanks for all the help guys. Lots of great posters here, with a couple calling it from the beginning that firewalls had to be turned off, I just never figured that my Comodo one had to be uninstalled altogether. I'll install it later and see what happens. Knew it had to be something stupid like that. I only recently installed Comodo but I remember having pinging problems before ever adding Comodo. Apparently my memory was faulty.
  • Options
    That's happened to us all. The good thing is you'll always check for something like this first in the future. Nice job sticking to it!
  • Options
    Thanks for coming back and letting us know how it went too! We appreciate it. I'm glad you've got that all resolved. Hopefully smooth sailing for you from here on out!
  • Options
    I had a similar issue like that with Zone Alarm about 10 years ago. Good to hear that you figured it out!
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Great job!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012