Options

Does anyone play the guitar?

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Just curious if anyone plays the guitar. Besides techy stuff, jamming on the guitar is one of the things Im try to get better at. Its definitely harder than it looks.

Comments

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Played for about 18 years. Been in metal bands, pop bands, a jazz big band and in the band pit for a few stage shows. Great fun, but now I'm more of an acoustic finger picker who hates modern music. Always happens when you get old (32). Rockin' it up with Gramma!
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Played for about 18 years. Been in metal bands, pop bands, a jazz big band and in the band pit for a few stage shows. Great fun, but now I'm more of an acoustic finger picker who hates modern music. Always happens when you get old (32). Rockin' it up with Gramma!

Im a late bloomer, started a few years back and now Im 31. I have an Epiphone acoustic, not the best guitar in the world but it has helped me learn the basic caged chords. I cant fingerpick for the life of me! Any tips?
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I've played guitar to close for 20 years now. I have played in a semi-pro band back in undergrad.

Matter of fact, here is a video of me demoing a guitar pedal:

YouTube - DigiTech XP300 Space Station Demo
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Snadam tries...
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I haven't picked up a guitar since maybe mid to late 2000, lost time and money for other hobbies (auto performance is far too expensive).

I wouldn't mind picking it up again, just need to stop having big problems crop up around the house so I can get ahead fiscally a bit again!
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Im a late bloomer, started a few years back and now Im 31. I have an Epiphone acoustic, not the best guitar in the world but it has helped me learn the basic caged chords. I cant fingerpick for the life of me! Any tips?

Get a thumb pick and check out some YouTube vids.

Also listen to heaps of Tommy Emmanuel. Boom chik!!
  • Options
    sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Just curious if anyone plays the guitar. Besides techy stuff, jamming on the guitar is one of the things Im try to get better at. Its definitely harder than it looks.

Yup, I play just for fun. I can finger pick a little, I know some scales, but mostly I just mess around with a few chords when I just want to chill and do nothing else.
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started learning earlier this year, and haven't been too faithful at practicing (too much studying) icon_sad.gif. Got a decent sounding guitar though, a Ibanez AEL20. Had a bad solder on the preamp, but they got that fixed in a few days.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    I wish I had time to play guitar. I don't have the time to learn. Between a wife and young kids to studying most nights after they go to bed I don't have time to play guitar. Too motivated to be the best I can be at what I do everyday at work but hobbies are nice if you have time for them.

I agree with using UTube as a good reference though. That is something that obviously people didn't have a few years ago as an aid.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Start singing your kids to sleep. It's easy to put some basic songs together while knowing only a few chords.
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    I've got some nice gear, a Jackson DKMGT upgraded to EMG's and a Fender acoustic electric.

The Jackson needs a new nut because I filed down the low E way too much and now it buzzes horribly. I'm not very good on lead, but with my acoustic I can keep up pretty well played chord based stuff. Playing along to a lot of Christian worship songs can really build up your rhythm guitar chops. One of these days soon I'd like to get into my church's worship band.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Snadam tries...

I just pluck strings and noise comes out...icon_lol.gif

I have been playing for about 14 years now. Self-taught, play by ear type player. I love to play rock and blues. I will try and play any style because its fun to learn different types of music. My guilty pleasure, however, is METAL. Metallica, Pantera, et al. I'm more of a rhythm guy than a shredder. :)

Im rocking an epiphone explorer, beat-up acoustic, and my 'Franken-Fender' Strat copy project.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    I just put some new D'Addario EXP's on my Epi but they are mediums. After I did that I think the action went a little high so I might switch to heavies to bring it back down. I know the bridge is shimmed underneath, is this something I can remove if the action doesnt go down?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »
    Snadam tries...

Frighteningly enough, this could be the answer to any "have you ever. . ." thread. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I enjoy trying to learn. Besides playing the cool parts of certain songs, I can't really play a song completely through. If I hear a song I wouldn't mind trying to play on guitar I may play with it a few nights. Almost got boston's more than a feeling all the way through. Not that I'm any good though.

YouTube - Family Guy - Music & Lyrics By Stewie Griffin
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I've been playing since I was 13, 37 now. Played in a bunch of bands and a couple of serious ones. I've done lots of gigging and a couple of tours, but those days are pretty much behind me (for now at least!). I still have a pro rig, 2 Paul Reed Smith guitars, Custom 22 (10 top, whale blue) a Brazilian Rosewood McCarty (my baby!), and a sweet Ernie Ball EVH, and a good acoustic. A Mesa Boogie Dual Rec stack, a bunch of rack gear and pedals, etc. =)

I grew up listening to and emulating EVH, Yngwie, Satch, Vai, Mustaine, Wylde, etc. I still like that stuff but these days, I'm also into blues, classic rock, some jazz and classical stuff as well.
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I started playing around a little this year – I picked up a Fretlight guitar. So far it’s pretty cool for learning.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Off-Topic (12 Viewing)
    For technology but non-certification related topics.

Even the admins dont follow the rule. Shame. ;)
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Off-Topic (12 Viewing)

Actually, the Fretlight guitar connects to the computer via USB and has tiny lights in the fret board which are controlled by software. So I guess I’m in compliance :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Even the admins dont follow the rule. Shame.
    There have been several studies about musical ability and intelligence. And at one time there was something on the NMC CCIE Training website about a the percentage of CCIE playing musical instruments being greater than the general public.

And among Computer Programmers -- for some strange reason popular hobby choice is split between playing a musical instrument and wood working.... icon_rolleyes.gif

And a keyboard is a keyboard is a keyboard...... I'm working on an midi interface access server for my Cisco Lab equipment.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Off-Topic (12 Viewing)

I dont bother reading subtitles. :)
  • Options
    bikeandski wrote: »
    I grew up listening to and emulating EVH, Yngwie, Satch, Vai, Mustaine, Wylde, etc.
    Me too! Although I was way too heavy into Nuno. Got told I sounded like him in bands.
    Thems the good old days. More likely to listen to Jerry Reid now.

For all the upcomers here, remember; Joe Satriani says "Practise, Practise, Practise".
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Me too! Although I was way too heavy into Nuno. Got told I sounded like him in bands.
    Thems the good old days. More likely to listen to Jerry Reid now.

For all the upcomers here, remember; Joe Satriani says "Practise, Practise, Practise".

Nuno was a Monster! Although, songs like "more than words" kinda killed it for me... Not that I didn't listen to my fair share of lame music back in the day! icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I'm working on an midi interface access server for my Cisco Lab equipment.

Please explain!
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I have a 1981 Fender 12-string Dreadnaught acoustic and a 1971 Fender P-Bass in my closet that I'll get around to learning how to play one day. icon_sad.gif

Either that or I'll go back to playing the Highland bagpipes. I have a set of Kintail pipes in that same closet too. icon_shaking.gif
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I picked up an acoustic guitar a few months ago; spent a lot of time practicing and saw absolutely no progress so now it is resting in my closet until I get motivated to pick it up again.
  • Options
    I've got a birthday coming up, maybe I can swindle one of the guys at guitar center to get me a good deal on a Taylor or a Takamine :)
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    There have been several studies about musical ability and intelligence. And at one time there was something on the NMC CCIE Training website about a the percentage of CCIE playing musical instruments being greater than the general public.

And among Computer Programmers -- for some strange reason popular hobby choice is split between playing a musical instrument and wood working.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Just hope my networking does not go the same way as the Violin did then.. I can't remember the last time I touched it..

I am waiting for my little girl (yet to be born) to be old enough to teach her, hope that will motivate me to get back in to it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    I picked up the acoustic the other day to resume picking after a 3 year break. After 19 years playing, I've gone back to "suck" level.