Options

Does anyone play the guitar?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Started playing when I was about 13. Played in a few punk bands in high school. Then I heard industrial music and pretty much quit. Started playing keyboards, left guitar playing to others. Got into a band, released a tape (this was in the early 90s) and played out a lot live. The band was close to being signed when it fell apart.

I still write industrial stuff. Using Sonar and various VSTs. None of those pesky humans!
    Was just working on some stuff today as a matter of fact.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,567 Mod
    I started playing the Oud about 6 months ago, my friend is teaching me:

Oud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just for time pass :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I started playing the Oud about 6 months ago, my friend is teaching me:

Oud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just for time pass :)

Awesome, have you learnt Stairway to Heaven on it yet?
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Awesome, have you learnt Stairway to Heaven on it yet?

No not really :) But I think I can play it later on

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,052 Admin
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    No not really :) But I think I can play it later on
    I would settle for the "Brave Sir Robin" song from Monty Python's Holy Grail. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    I can rock out on my air guitar :)
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I would settle for the "Brave Sir Robin" song from Monty Python's Holy Grail. icon_lol.gif

lool icon_lol.gif

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I found this under the tree this morning:

gtrs6.jpg
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I found this under the tree this morning:

Nice, hows it play? Do you do more strumming or finger picking? I'm definitely more on the finger picking side myself (odd, given I'm a metal guitarist on electric), so ones which sound better picked are more my calling
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    I've been playing for close to 5 years. Got my Jacksons RR3 w/ Blackheart tubed amp. I usually play more fingerpicking on my Ibanez EW acoustic/electric guitar :)
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    Nice, hows it play? Do you do more strumming or finger picking? I'm definitely more on the finger picking side myself (odd, given I'm a metal guitarist on electric), so ones which sound better picked are more my calling

It's a cedar top so it responds to fingerstyle very well. I'm trying to teach myself music theory and reading sheet music so I'm sticking with finger picking for now. I also got a Beatles book which is easy to read. I ordered a bone saddle and bone bridge pins to brighten it up a little and improve resonance and sustain.

It's a Seagull S6 by the way.

If you like finger picking, you should look for a cedar top.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I learn playing it by looking at it. At this time, decoration more than anything else at home.
    I'd rather learn how to play trumpet or clarinet...
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Been playing for about 4 or 5 years as well, but VERY VERY rarely as a small hobby. Also have a drum kit.

My favorite band since I was about 15 has been Green Day, so I learned power chords very well, a very small amount of picking (VERY small), and several of the open chords (but no where near all of them). Just never got around to learning anything more... I can be bored, pick up the guitar... wail along with Basket Case, Welcome to Paradise, Going to Pasalacqua and She, jump on the drums and play When I Come Around and Pulling Teeth, and be perfectly happy for almost a month before I pick the stuff up again.

One cool thing I found to do was use the Green Day copy of Rock Band. I'll turn it on, pull up a practice mode so theres no crash out, start a song with the guitar controller, then just not play it so the guitar track doesn't play, and I'll use my real guitar to play along with the rest of the track. Works nicely.

Just more or less busy with work and other things to put too much time into it. It is a lot of fun though.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's a cedar top so it responds to fingerstyle very well. I'm trying to teach myself music theory and reading sheet music so I'm sticking with finger picking for now. I also got a Beatles book which is easy to read. I ordered a bone saddle and bone bridge pins to brighten it up a little and improve resonance and sustain.

It's a Seagull S6 by the way.

If you like finger picking, you should look for a cedar top.

Very nice, looks real clean and crisp. Good on yer for learning the theory as well. A lot of people don't bother with it, but it definitely worth knowing what's going on when playing an instrument.
  • Options
    zerglingszerglings Member Posts: 295 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can play a couple of songs. My electric guitar is pretty much collecting dust.
    :study: Life+
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Very nice, looks real clean and crisp. Good on yer for learning the theory as well. A lot of people don't bother with it, but it definitely worth knowing what's going on when playing an instrument.

When I look at sheet music, I want to learn what makes it sheet music. Sorta like coding or scripting, understanding the core of it all is exciting for me.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    When I look at sheet music, I want to learn what makes it sheet music. Sorta like coding or scripting, understanding the core of it all is exciting for me.

I've tried many times over the years to learn to read sheet music, but it has never stuck with me. I know theory (i.e. intervallic relationships, modes of the major scale etc) quite well, so I've not found in guitar playing that it has ever held me back.

However, it's something I kind of regret never learning, as when I was doing sound engineering all the time, trying to get across stuff to classically trained musicians was an exercise in futility without being able to write it down.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    neocybeneocybe Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been playing off and on for about 10-12 yrs now, youtube and ultimate-guitar.com are good resources for tab and general instruction. I cant read a note of sheet music but I dont take it too seriously either. .

First guitar riff - wake up lil suzy - lol that was the jam!

First actual song was sadly stairway to heaven, good ol Zep (prompts waynes world flash back)- followed by One - Metallica
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've played on and off for the past couple years, but I've never been very good.

I actually just got back into it after buying a pro guitar for rockband. (102 buttons on the neck with 6 strings) It's been quite frustrating to go from hard/expert to 3 and 4 starring easy. It did get me to dig out my guitar and tune it for the first time in a long time though.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I know a few chords but I haven't played regularly in 15 years and I wasn't very good back then. I still like to pick an acoustic guitar up on very rare occasions and play around with it for a few minutes.