Options

Windows 7

lambov12lambov12 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
what do you like about it and what do you hate about it??

Comments

• Options
    fleckfleck Banned Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like Libraries, Aero Shake/Peek, Snap, and the re-imagined Taskbar. I also like that it looks better and also works faster than Vista. The only thing I don't like is that I am not used to the new Taskbar yet.
  • Options
    i think the new taskbar is ok was strane for the first hour or so of using it and i still mess up occasionaly but all in all a better experiance now, on my laptop i doont use the shake feature it just pisses me off because im using the touchpad but it feels a bit better using a mouse, the only machine i noticed a huge performance increase was the laptop the desktop is mch the same imo its just purdy and new now lol :)
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    Love that its faster and more stable

hate that the Internet Explorer file save dialogue no longer auto opens and saves into a new created folder icon_cry.gif

But all in all seems OK
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    I thought only end-users still used Internet Explorer.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    You Mean Internet Exploder ?? :)

I look after many SBS2008 servers that use RWW and active X. As a result IE is my normal browser
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Am i the only person who still hasnt used Windows7? :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    SWM wrote: »
    You Mean Internet Exploder ?? :)

I look after many SBS2008 servers that use RWW and active X. As a result IE is my normal browser

I feel your pain!
    Am i the only person who still hasnt used Windows7?
    Duuude, whaaat? I hope you don't call yourself a geek icon_shaking.gif
  • Options
    fleck wrote: »

one of the most genuinely funny things i have read on these forums lol but why does using win 7 make us geeks ?? lol
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I haven't used it yet. I'm waiting until I get a new PC. But, I haven't really been tempted to be honest, because it looks too much like Vista. It really to me looks like Vista with things hidden deeper into the GUI and harder to find for an "average" user.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I feel your pain!

Hmm, I am a bad Geek... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    I feel your pain!

Im serious :D. To be quite honest its got alot to do with the terrible install of vista i have on my work laptop.

• Options
    nel wrote: »
    Im serious :D. To be quite honest its got alot to do with the terrible install of vista i have on my work laptop.

imo vista was BAAAAAAAAD news but in my ths far brief experience of 7 it seems alot better apart from on my laptop but that could be because its a pice of crap lol
  • Options
    kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    In all fairness, Nel's primary machine is an Etch-A-Sketch, and I don't think that meets the system requirements...

I'm always surprised when I see all the Vista hate, especially on an IT forum. I thought all that was just FUD from Steve Jobs. I've used Vista on a half-dozen machines since it was released and never had any problems.

All my current machines have been switched over to the Windows 7 RC (which has been running awesome, and I don't feel like reinstalling all my apps for the RTM version). It seems like a natural evolution from Vista, and I'm enjoying a lot of the little additions. Freaking hate that the left folder pane in Windows Explorer doesn't update as you change directories though. I thought that was a folder option in previous versions, but I haven't found a way to change that in Win7 yet (at least in the five minutes I spent looking).
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Was running vista Business 64 bit on a quad core with 8gb of ram. Recently installed Windows 7 and my system would do nothing but hang all the time. Decided to go back to vista business and it starting running flawless again. So my experience with windows 7 was not to great.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    kimanyd wrote: »
    In all fairness, Nel's primary machine is an Etch-A-Sketch, and I don't think that meets the system requirements...

I'm always surprised when I see all the Vista hate, especially on an IT forum. I thought all that was just FUD from Steve Jobs. I've used Vista on a half-dozen machines since it was released and never had any problems.

All my current machines have been switched over to the Windows 7 RC (which has been running awesome, and I don't feel like reinstalling all my apps for the RTM version). It seems like a natural evolution from Vista, and I'm enjoying a lot of the little additions. Freaking hate that the left folder pane in Windows Explorer doesn't update as you change directories though. I thought that was a folder option in previous versions, but I haven't found a way to change that in Win7 yet (at least in the five minutes I spent looking).

Using an Etch a sketch would probably better than the weird behaviour of my machine ...and more fun :D

Just for the record, i dont hate vista, ive just had a bad experiance with it. But as a result, it has slightly hampered my enthusiasm for new MS products. However, my 360 has changed that view many times ;)

I do really hope 7 is a great OS.

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Ive used Vista for work for about 2 years, and ive deployed around 750 vista machines....they are all far more reliable and secure than any of the XP stuff we have at work.

Im going to try and switch over to 7 for my laptop at work here soon. Already using Win7 ultimate on my HTPC.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    kimanyd wrote: »

I have vista running on a desktop with a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz with 1 GB RAM and it runs fine. I've been using it since the days of the beta and not had issues with it. In fact, on my own system I have never once had a BSoD. And I have removed the hard drive and put it in three different laptops without reinstalling.

I have never understood when people who claim to be good with computers bash Vista, unless they are total Linux fan boys who avoid MS products like they have some sort of VD.
  • Options
    I agree with the last couple of posts. The problem is that there will always be counterculturists in everything. When XP replaced 2K people hated it, when Vista replaced XP people hated it. Some geeks would say 'XP looks dumb!' and they would have to be corrected with a firm 'Classic theme!'

People whined about Vista because of UAC, only to be informed repeatedly that they could easily turn it off. But it seems like a lot of the complaints about an OS like Windows always fly high like banners with both geeks and end-users alike no matter how inane they might be.

Some people are just lazy. Others are stubborn. For example, and no insult intended here, just wondering WHY, ULWiz said this: "Recently installed Windows 7 and my system would do nothing but hang all the time. Decided to go back to vista business and it starting running flawless again." But aren't you a certified PC tech? Can't you find out what the problem is and fix it?
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I have never understood when people who claim to be good with computers bash Vista, unless they are total Linux fan boys who avoid MS products like they have some sort of VD.

You mean STD, and since you could claim some M$ products ARE viruses, the analogy is not far off. :)

I'm not particularly a Linux fanboy, though I'm fond of it. I more of a Mac fanboy than a Linux one, and I continue to resent M$ dirty business tactics. I use OpenOffice and Mozilla products whenever I can get away with it.

That all being said, yes, I've tried Windows 7 and I like it a lot.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    Any place I can download windows 7 or is it too late?
  • Options
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    Any place I can download windows 7 or is it too late?

There's lots of places that it will never be too late to get Windows 7 from. But it IS too late to get the RC from MS.
  • Options
    mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
    There's lots of places that it will never be too late to get Windows 7 from. But it IS too late to get the RC from MS.

Where? I've been searching online so i can download and install it, but come up empty.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    Where? I've been searching online so i can download and install it, but come up empty.
    If you're a TechNet member you can get the full RTM version...I believe you can also get it if you're attending a school that's a member of the MSDN Academic Alliance (or if you're an ACM student member, which also gives you that same access to MSDN AA). All legitimate sources for RC are gone, so if you do find it, it's probably on a torrent, and in that case...downloader beware...

Check out this site - if you can get your hands on the download/install disc from a friend who got it legitimately, then you can request a product key from MS at that site.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503

My complaint has always been it doesn't take long for it to slow everything to a crawl. If you are running quad core processors with 16GB of ram or whatever, you'll probably never notice, but everything I've installed and ran it on has been fairly mid-level specs, and it doesn't take long before the system starts to bog down.

Case in point (there are many others I've experienced, but this is the best one I can think of), I had a spare laptop, not amazing specs, AMD Turion 64, gig of ram, 80GB hard drive, as I mention not amazing, but they were good enough, Vista went on it. I was impressed initially, but after 3 months it became too slow to use.

Now if I was running the laptop day in day out for hours at a time I could understand it, but I turned it on about 10 times in that 3 months, and used it for no more than an hour a time. During this time, I ran MSN, and looked on a couple of forums. That was it. How it managed to become about 4 times as slow is beyond me.

Overall, if I could run a Windows OS, without it slowing down to a crawl in no time, then I would, and I hope this is something Windows 7 addresses, but so far I'm sticking with OS X and Linux
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    petedude wrote: »
    You mean STD, and since you could claim some M$ products ARE viruses, the analogy is not far off. :)

I'm not particularly a Linux fanboy, though I'm fond of it. I more of a Mac fanboy than a Linux one, and I continue to resent M$ dirty business tactics. I use OpenOffice and Mozilla products whenever I can get away with it.

That all being said, yes, I've tried Windows 7 and I like it a lot.

There arent many things on an internet forum that make me literally LOL but everytime i read someone whos an Apple fanboy say that they hate Microsofts business practices or think Microsoft is anti-competitive, it makes me laugh so hard I cry.

Apple is 10 times more anticompetitive than microsoft ever dreamed of being, but nobody pays much mind to it because they only control the market share in 1 or 2 areas, none of which have to do with big business.

And apple doesnt have bad business practices? I guess blatantly lying on TV during hundreds of 30 seconds spots a day isnt bad?

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Yeah you're right. And isn't it nice how it's a license violation to attempt to install MacOS on a non-Apple product. So you have to pay for overpriced hardware that's the same or sub-par to what's on a PC just so you can run the OS. And how they've still got people brainwashed into the mentality that only MacOS is any good for multimedia is funny. There are people who literally think there are things an Apple Mac can do that a Windows PC can't. Sigh.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    There arent many things on an internet forum that make me literally LOL but everytime i read someone whos an Apple fanboy say that they hate Microsofts business practices or think Microsoft is anti-competitive, it makes me laugh so hard I cry.

Apple is 10 times more anticompetitive than microsoft ever dreamed of being, but nobody pays much mind to it because they only control the market share in 1 or 2 areas, none of which have to do with big business.

And apple doesnt have bad business practices? I guess blatantly lying on TV during hundreds of 30 seconds spots a day isnt bad?

icon_lol.gif

I certainly have to agree here. I mean come on... going out of your way to make hardware they sell contain non-user serviceable batteries? Or my iPod touch for example, iPhone users get the upgrade free but I have to pay for it? I have to commend Steve Jobs though I suppose, as he's done quite a superb job of making the majority of the Apple users feel perfectly fine coming back to him to shell out cash often.

Apple might not have the market share to consider them a monopoly as a lot of people claim Microsoft to be, but they make up for it by nickle and diming their customers (or should that read Grant and Franklining).
  • Options
    it wasnt for me that vista slowed down to a crawl so much as imo it was too much of a change too fast call me a purist twat all you like :) because i agree but i think a more gradual introduction of features and layout would have been a more prudent decision by ms once again people may say that a more relaxed approach to releasing new ideas would have annoyed people i.e people thinking ms was just rehashing the same BS with a facelift, however in my personal opinion (and thats what it is in fact thats what most of these posts are personal opinion) vista was a decent prelude to win 7 as it gave us a view of the future at the time people didnt like it but it lead the way to something i think will be alltogether more popular however with the google os in the pipeline who knows??
  • Options
    Oh and who could have guessed this would turn into an apple Vs MS debate icon_rolleyes.gif rofl
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

icon_lol.gif

Before I clicked onto page two I was already tuning up to post a similar response. Needless to say, I agree.