Options

Western Governers University

jrdnolandjrdnoland Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I saw a few members here talking about WGU. I'm also thinking about going there. I have been looking at CTU, Kaplan, U of Phoenix and WGU. I'm talking to an enrollment advisor tomorrow from WGU and was wondering if any of you had any experience with their exams in particular. I noticed from their web site that the exams are proctored, I've never taken a proctored exam before and was wondering what it was like? Also, are there locations close to where you live?

Any info to think about regarding WGU will be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As far as I know these use testing centers like Prometric. The only two online schools that I respect at this point are Capella and WGU. If you want to PM me I can tell you some more info from my conversations in the past with them.
  • Options
    kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    CTU seems interesting. Colorado Technical University ? About Colorado Technical University Are those quality or flimsy accreditations?

I think WGU would be the clear winner amongst the other three.

Proctored exams just mean there's someone keeping an eye on you, so you can't ****, etc. You'll just go into a classroom and take an exam; there's nothing fancy about it.

Welcome to the forums.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I looked into going to WGU, and I asked a lot of those same questions myself. The exams are hosted at test centers - Prometric & Pearson Vue. There are multiple locations for each "brand" of test center, and depending on the exam you're taking, you may need to go to one or the other. You can check out the Pearson Vue & Prometric sites for information about their locations - they usually have multiple locations in/surrounding major metropolitan areas, with fewer locations in other areas.

CompTIA exams are offered at both, MS exams are only offered at Prometric, and Cisco exams are only offered at Pearson Vue. I'm not sure about the other "brands" of exams, and depending on which flavor of program you're going for, it will be a different list of certs to go after. With the exception of the non-technical coursework, my understanding is that all the exams offered are certification exams.

It sounds like you've already read up on the WGU threads here, so I would advise that you do some googling and check out the WGU Student Hall site as well. Some people love WGU, some people don't - it depends on what you're looking for in your education I suppose. It just wasn't my cup of tea and I ended up going for a more traditional program at a local university.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    I didn't expect so many replies so fast! Thanks to all for the information and leads.

I really want to get a degree in software engineering, only the U of Phoenix has that but they are way too expensive at this point.

I've talked to all but WGU and will be talking to them tomorrow evening.

I already have associates in computer information management but feel I need the bachelors to make any real money and to look for better positions.

Application development is what I really like and am already reasonably good at.

Again, thanks to all for the information!
  • Options
    kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    I think you'd be much better off with a traditional computer science degree if you want to get into development.
  • Options
    Ericthemaster86Ericthemaster86 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kimanyd wrote: »
    I think you'd be much better off with a traditional computer science degree if you want to get into development.
    WGU appears to be one of the best online Universities I have ever come across. It's a fully accredited university but I still have some doubts about how employers would view it..
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    agreed. I don't think WGU offers anything that would really tie into a career track like that.

Have you looked into "traditional" brick & mortar schools in your area? Community colleges are a great place to start and are often way cheaper than universities, so you could knock out a few classes or even as associates there first and then transfer to a university for a bachelors program. Many universities are tailoring their schedules for working adults, so you could even hold down a full time job and attend classes - I know of many folks who have gone or who are going this path.

The state uni I attend makes a concerted efforts to offer core classes and major classes at alternating times to accommodate those folks who work day shifts, and their masters program is specifically geared toward working adults - all the classes are offered in evenings.

I'm not saying that you have to go to a physical school in order to get a degree, as there are certainly numerous successful folks who have gone through online programs, but you might want to consider looking at community colleges and state universities so that you have more choices. The prices are quite reasonable, the degrees are more varied, and some of them even offer online programs as well.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options

Perhaps, but here are the other facts:

I have an associates degree in computer information management
    I work a full time job, which I need to pay the bills
    I can't afford a standard education in terms of time or money
    I need a flexible program
    I'm extremely self motivated
    I look at this as a 1st or second step, I may consider two majors
    etc.
  • Options
    Development? I am with Dynamik on that. I would look into a college in you area. If finding the hours to attend is a problem then I would look for a balance between night classes and online classes.
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    agreed. I don't think WGU offers anything that would really tie into a career track like that.

Have you looked into "traditional" brick & mortar schools in your area? Community colleges are a great place to start and are often way cheaper than universities, so you could knock out a few classes or even as associates there first and then transfer to a university for a bachelors program. Many universities are tailoring their schedules for working adults, so you could even hold down a full time job and attend classes - I know of many folks who have gone or who are going this path.

The state uni I attend makes a concerted efforts to offer core classes and major classes at alternating times to accommodate those folks who work day shifts, and their masters program is specifically geared toward working adults - all the classes are offered in evenings.

I'm not saying that you have to go to a physical school in order to get a degree, as there are certainly numerous successful folks who have gone through online programs, but you might want to consider looking at community colleges and state universities so that you have more choices. The prices are quite reasonable, the degrees are more varied, and some of them even offer online programs as well.

Yes - I've looked at local universities and state schools. I just don't like the idea of having to spend time on a campus. It doesn't fit my schedule. Some colleges in the area offer some classes on line while most you have to still go to "classes". I did all that when I was younger, now I need the flexibility of online classes that fit my schedule.

You gave me some ideas to talk about with the enrollment counselor tomorrow night, thanks!
  • Options
    jrdnoland wrote: »
    Yes - I've looked at local universities and state schools. I just don't like the idea of having to spend time on a campus. It doesn't fit my schedule. Some colleges in the area offer some classes on line while most you have to still go to "classes". I did all that when I was younger, now I need the flexibility of online classes that fit my schedule.

You gave me some ideas to talk about with the enrollment counselor tomorrow night, thanks!

Hey! We are not trying to stop you. We only want to help and warn about an online college's reputation. If you have no other choice then we understand that.
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    greetings...
    is the program for development including getting certified or is it doing real c/c++/java/.net/cobol/etc programming/dev classes?
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    sidsanders wrote: »
    greetings...
    is the program for development including getting certified or is it doing real c/c++/java/.net/cobol/etc programming/dev classes?

Certifications...

Java, Pearl, Database Design
  • Options
    Hey! We are not trying to stop you. We only want to help and warn about an online college's reputation. If you have no other choice then we understand that.

Understood - I realize you're giving me your insights and thoughts; that's what I'm after.

I will understand WGU's offerings better after I talk to them.

When I talked to U of Phoenix; they told me I'll get what I pay for, when I expressed that their costs were higher than some of the others. My response was - in the real world you often end up with what you can afford.
  • Options
    jrdnoland wrote: »
    Understood - I realize you're giving me your insights and thoughts; that's what I'm after.

I will understand WGU's offerings better after I talk to them.

When I talked to U of Phoenix; they told me I'll get what I pay for, when I expressed that their costs were higher than some of the others. My response was - in the real world you often end up with what you can afford.

Well, I guess they would say that... icon_rolleyes.gif I had a Network Admin that I answered to that was going through U of Phoenix. He never had to take a single REAL test. Everything was by writing a paper. He loved to brag about how little he had to do. For that reason I have little respect for them. I am not saying you can't learn anything from them.

I have respect for WGU because I know you have to work to get a degree from them. Doing Certs is hard work. I just think a software degree should have allot more math involved in its curriculum. I do understand not wanting to go back to school with a bunch of kids (I am not looking forward to it myself.) It is worth it long term though. A professor may realize your seriousness and help you out long term, and not just with your classes.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I'm about halfway through at WGU. I'd be glad to answer any questions for you if you PM me.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    cablegod wrote: »
    I'm about halfway through at WGU. I'd be glad to answer any questions for you if you PM me.

How are the classes going?
  • Options
    LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I myself am going to school at UOP, and think it is ridiculously expensive. I've been doing classes a year towards my BSIT degree, and am thinking about taking a break for a while to study for my Security + , and CISSP exams. WGU is something that a buddy of mine had told me about over a year ago, and I had forgotten about it. If I can get enough credits to transfer, this may be a viable option for me to look into. Is there anyone else that attended UOP, and decided to go somewhere else that can provide input? Anyone else going to WGU?
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    LinuxRacr wrote: »
    I myself am going to school at UOP, and think it is ridiculously expensive. I've been doing classes a year towards my BSIT degree, and am thinking about taking a break for a while to study for my Security + , and CISSP exams. WGU is something that a buddy of mine had told me about over a year ago, and I had forgotten about it. If I can get enough credits to transfer, this may be a viable option for me to look into. Is there anyone else that attended UOP, and decided to go somewhere else that can provide input? Anyone else going to WGU?

This thread should give you some good reading:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/52825-student-experiences-western-governors-university-wgu.html
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Thank you.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • Options
    asuraniaasurania Member Posts: 145
    My orginal degree was from a one of the Top Universities in the world (Top 100). That degree did nothing and is a paper weight.

Now WGU i am almost completed the degree, and It already has done more for me in my current job, then my Brick and Mortor Degree.

Also just google WGU and you can find video of Governors and Politicans talking about it.

It is an amazing University...no complaints... as far as I can see.....

Finsing of my Bsc in IT (Network Design & Managment)
    Going to start my MSC in Information Security and Assurance
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have attended UOP and Devry. UOP was a waste of time and paper. Devry was a better school but waste of money. WGU well so far so good. I am into 2nd month of my semester and done with 24 credits. It is hard and you have to be motivated. There are people there to help you plus this forum. WGU is a good school.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    How much was transferable from UoP?
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Has anyone been able to transfer WGU credits toward a degree at a brick and motor school?
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How much was transferable from UoP?

Not much to be honest. I had more from my community college I attended.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Has anyone been able to transfer WGU credits toward a degree at a brick and motor school?
    I don't know of anyone transferring from WGU to a B&M but I do know that the degree itself has transferred to B&M's for people seeking a Masters degree.
    With WGU being egionally accreditted there shouldn't be any problem with transferring from WGU to a B&M. A lot of the classes may not match up so that may be a problem if transferring.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Not much to be honest. I had more from my community college I attended.

Yeah, I've got about 7 classes from UoP done, and two from community college, as well as an Associates from ITT Tech for EET.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, I've got about 7 classes from UoP done, and two from community college, as well as an Associates from ITT Tech for EET.

No harm in getting a transcript evaluation. Your AAS might not yield much in transferrability (as opposed to a regular Associates...that will clear you for GE classes). WGU is wayyyyyy cheaper than UOP. UOP is spending too much money on their fancy-schmancy TV commercials. WGU offers the same online education (more or less) for about a fraction of the cost (in addition to regional accreditation, which I considered clutch. )

The only difficulty you will face is from the enrollment counselor. Just read the main WGU threads here, but in a nutshell, you won't deal with them once you are in.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Is it an AS or AAS? The AS will transfer in more credits as the geneds will get mostly knocked out. IMO if you're thinking of transferring do it sooner rather than later since as thenjduke said not much transferred from UOP.
    One good thing I know WGU has done since I startedis that when I started if an area of gened , say english classes, wasn't completed thenwe had to do the whole set of WGU english classes. I had to do all of the english classes just because I didn't complete the entirerequirements to have all the english classes transferred in. I had taken English Comp I and taken a technical writing class instead of Comp II so I had to take all the WGU english classes. Now though they will waive classses you have completed individually.

Why not post what classes you have done from UOP and the CC and we could give you some idea of what you'll need to complete.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.