GNS3 machine/ general machines

2»

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ColbyNA wrote: »
    Same here. I did most of my NP with real hardware, but only because I hadn't played with Dynamips much at that point. If I were doing it all over again I would have used Dynamips as much as humanly possible.

I use a Dell T100 (loaded with 8gb of RAM) running ESXi4 with Dynamips in a VM. I think I've gotten up to ~20 routers so far, just playing around. I don't think I could max this box out with any real lab.

Wow, that's weird. Everything you wrote applies to me as well, down to the T100 w/ 8GB of RAM and having run ~20 routers on ESXi4. Trippy maaan...
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Wow, that's weird. Everything you wrote applies to me as well, down to the T100 w/ 8GB of RAM and having run ~20 routers on ESXi4. Trippy maaan...

Hahaha, nice.

I priced out building vs buying, and with the deals Dell runs all the time, you can buy a prebuilt much cheaper than you can build something comparable.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hahaha, nice.

I priced out building vs buying, and with the deals Dell runs all the time, you can buy a prebuilt much cheaper than you can build something comparable.

I know. I was actually looking at the machine you mentioned. Not to shabby. Sigh I really wanted to build 1 but with a quadport nic that machine would be perfect.

BTW do you connect GNS3 to real equipment.
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    One problem I've had with the T100 is that the PRO1000 I bought is way too big for the case. I'm planning on picking up a rackmount case at some point, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I haven't connected my switches to it yet, but I will in the future when I start seriously preparing for the IE.

Edit: Oh, I got mine BNIB on Ebay for even cheaper than you can find it from Dell, no tax either.
    One problem I've had with the T100 is that the PRO1000 I bought is way too big for the case. I'm planning on picking up a rackmount case at some point, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I haven't connected my switches to it yet, but I will in the future when I start seriously preparing for the IE.

Edit: Oh, I got mine BNIB on Ebay for even cheaper than you can find it from Dell, no tax either.

good deal. I may just end up buying the machine I listed in my op and adding a quadport nic.
    Well I am now in the process for going into the final stages before assembling a machine.

HERE . I am still debating on whether or not I am going to go with a Core Duo 2 Quad or and I5 processor. I am leaning towards the i5 just so I can have an upgrade path. The motherboard I am leaning towards is here. I still have not decided on a video card but I know I want at least 2 24 lCD on this box so I am going to need something beefy (any suggestions, cheaper the better?)
    Ram is another issue. The board I want supports 16gbs but I think I may start off with 6. I was thinking of a pair of 500 gb hard drives , a pretty basic dvd drive, and a quadport nic.