Options

Is IT That bad ? Whats up with people at dice ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    apd123 wrote: »
    I feel like I don't live in the same reality as this thread.
    My anecdotal evidence with the job market was quite the opposite of the norm expressed here when I was looking in February. Information Technology is way too general a term for this discussion many jobs under that umbrella are loosely correlated at best. Many people work in IT and are revenue generating for their company. My companies entire business model is based off of selling IT services.

Ok at a company that sells IT services, yea the IT sale staff are revenue generating. Network admins, programmers, Help Desk, etc do not BRING IN the revenue. Same thing for my company. The FA's and sales folk bring in the money, we cost the company money because they pay us but we are not bringing in revenue.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    benchodbenchod Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It seems that folks shouldn't purse career as tech ? How about high level position such as System Analyst or Software QA, Business Analyst, Database Analyst

Any thoughts or suggestion on non tech position ? It seems high level positions are only acquired through connections,hence ( who you know ) ?

Thoughts?

Ben
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    benchod wrote: »
    It seems that folks shouldn't purse career as tech ? How about high level position such as System Analyst or Software QA, Business Analyst, Database Analyst

Any thoughts or suggestion on non tech position ? It seems high level positions are only acquired through connections,hence ( who you know ) ?

Thoughts?

Ben

You know what, those jobs are the only ones Im seeing available. If you have the education and experience then youre good. Ive been doing job searches alot lately and Im only seeing higher end or more specialized positions open. No entry or mid level jobs from what Im seeing.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    benchod wrote: »
    this all boils down to hard time getting job. How doe new comer start ? Help Desk is great to start but for how long ?

I am currently on phone job and this is the last help desk support job I will ever do.

How does certs help if you have never worked with or touched the product server.

I see some entry level / internship program but how many of them are actually hiring people.

All careers are bad at this point except medical field.

Ben

I was fortunate getting a start in the industry when I did. Back then there was a lot of change and new stuff to work with and you got the chance to get your hands dirty on practically everything. About 6 years ago I saw the direction things were heading and it seemed that in the future it would be much harder for people to get exposure to systems what with formalised methods of working, change control, separate teams and the general standardisation of things. Offshoring was kicking in and support was on the radar. I always wanted to do design consultancy and used my extensive support experience as a foundation to move into network design. I remember back in 1999 returning on the train from a site where I had spent an afternoon building an NT server to the specifications of the external consultants my shop used. I kept a journal in those days and I made a note that I 'should get out of support' and get into design i.e routers, switches, firewalls, proxies etc. I got an awful lot more of that in my next job. No external consultants. Then after running things for a couple of years and three office migrations I knew I had put enough time in the trenches to go contracting as a Network Designer. I still do some 4th line network support if called upon, but otherwise Im glad Im out of support. I think it's much harder today for support professionals to get off helpdesk and break through the glass ceiling. The good stuff is all somebody elses problem, somebody elses job.