Options

Did I Say the Wrong Thing?

2»

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been going back and forth on whether I should speak to him further (the boss of my boss is who I had the conversation with). My fear is that it is back pedaling and it will look like an attempt to cover my ass because it is raise/bonus time. I do agree that I should probably say something, but again don't want to make it because of something its not.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    I've been going back and forth on whether I should speak to him further (the boss of my boss is who I had the conversation with). My fear is that it is back pedaling and it will look like an attempt to cover my ass because it is raise/bonus time. I do agree that I should probably say something, but again don't want to make it because of something its not.

I'd stick it out at this point. They might offer you more money to try to keep you. Going back now makes you look weak and desperate.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you should say something to him but like I said, offer a solution to the problem.
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    I'd stick it out at this point. They might offer you more money to try to keep you. Going back now makes you look weak and desperate.

I only partly agree. I think that it will not make him look weak if he talks with his bosses boss again. I think it actually may make him look stronger to try to offer a solution (which very well could be more money) than to essentially throw a hissy and say I want to leave (no offense to the op).
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    As far as experience goes I have 3 years of experience as a manager (movie theater so it was all customer service plus some business related stuff), 1 year as a field tech, and 3 months on a helpdesk.

So you have a little over a year exp in the IT field. I might be wrong here but the 10 years management experience in a Cabinet shop didn't mean squat when I made the move into the IT field.

Don't get me wrong, I know what it can be like to work in a stressful, crappy job. My last job gave me a nice ugly ulcer and there was many times where I had to walk around the building just to cool off so I didn't just walk out for good.

The only thing I can say is to get another job lined up right now, no company in their right mind wouldn't be looking for your replacement as we speak.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Although I know id do about anything for 100k a year :D

I think I've seen that video... icon_tongue.gif

Seriously though, I think it depends on your relationship and the other guy's personality. I had a job where I basically did everything for them that I could and there was nothing challenging left for me to do. They actively encouraged me to find something else and even offered to loan me money if I wanted to start up my own thing. Situations like this are way too complex to simply label as right or wrong.
  • Options
    waltdeewaltdee Member Posts: 122
    thats what i did at my first job, i wasnt happy with the salary, i was making 40k, and i went up to my boss, and said: "listen here you, you better give me more money, or else, he replies: or else what, i say: or else i will leave you scum bag, so he says: how much do you want: i say: 20k more, i say OK" the other job i told my boss that this other dumb a$$ was making more than me, and i told him he better pay up, he said ok. so yes, tell them what you feel.

P.S, its all BS, lol, always becareful with your words.
    when one is the, the one will be the being of willing to be the one.
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    i would never say sometthing like that, i had some messed up jobs and i always did them
    that is the wrong attitud, im all about earning respect from co-workers. you need a change on attitud otherwise it will be always like this and will be having help desk jobs for ever, i stared my first network administratot job when i was 22, i meet some guy between 25 and 30 still doing help desk
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    I wouldn't have mentioned that I was leaving until I had something else lined up.
  • Options
    Got a new job that is less stressful, treats me better, and where I actually learn something everyday. Thanks for the advice guys!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Got a new job that is less stressful, treats me better, and where I actually learn something everyday. Thanks for the advice guys!

Nice one. Same company or a different one ?
    Kam.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991

nice one mate icon_smile.gif come on spill the beans.. doing what?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Different company. I now work for an MSP as a NOC Analyst/Helpdesk Tech. Making the same money (less of a drive for now and they pay for benefits), but being there a week I have learned more then in 7 months at my other job. Things are looking good and I work with a great group of people. If you don't know something, they stop and sit with you to work through it. Plus, there is a clear path of escalation so if I don't know something there are engineers who can handle the task opposed to me wasting time spinning my wheels for a day to figure it out. Thanks again!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff