Manager wants to fire me?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
I'm a recent grad working on contract.

I'm very efficient and productive at everything I do and I get along with all coworkers. Recently, one of our coworkers resigned and it caused a slight impact. So, the manager told us that some of us will have to leave/stay in Jan (due to limited budget). He kept reminding ONLY me to look for a job and asking me to try harder for find a job when other coworkers hear our conversation. He probably thinks that this job isn't for me because he probably assumes that I will be the next person resigning...The thing is that I'm one of the best employee in the department and everyone knows that! I might be overqualified in some way too. He doesn't tell my coworkers to look for a job though.

I couldn't sleep properly for the entire week after my manager said that to me. He said it 3 times on different days for the past 2-3 weeks. This is getting me upset that he said it and my coworkers can hear everything from a small distance. I've been thinking about this situation every time I sit on a bus going home.

Is this a bad indication?

Comments

  • abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
    laptop wrote: »
    I'm a recent grad working on contract.

    I'm very efficient and productive at everything I do and I get along with all coworkers. Recently, one of our coworkers resigned and it caused a slight impact. So, the manager told us that some of us will have to leave/stay in Jan (due to limited budget). He kept reminding ONLY me to look for a job and asking me to try harder for find a job when other coworkers hear our conversation. He probably thinks that this job isn't for me because he probably assumes that I will be the next person resigning...The thing is that I'm one of the best employee in the department and everyone knows that! I might be overqualified in some way too. He doesn't tell my coworkers to look for a job though.

    I couldn't sleep properly for the entire week after my manager said that to me. He said it 3 times on different days for the past 2-3 weeks. This is getting me upset that he said it and my coworkers can hear everything from a small distance. I've been thinking about this situation every time I sit on a bus going home.

    Is this a bad indication?

    Sounds like it migh tbe something to worry about.

    There are a few thing going on here:
    1. You can't really help getting laid off, especially in this economy
    2. If he lays your off, or fires you without cause you may have a possible case, but if they are saying its due to a limited budget that might be tough.

    To keep your job you have a couple options:
    1. Talk to your manager's superior, whether thats the owner or who ever, about his comments, and how you think you perform compared to the others.
    2. Brag to your manager's superior about the work you are doing, how you are able to solve some problems the others couldn't figure out, how you get more work done, etc.

    Your other option is to start sending out your resume, which might not be a bad idea either way, never hurts to see what's out there.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    laptop wrote: »
    the manager told us that some of us will have to leave/stay in Jan (due to limited budget).
    Are the rest of "us" contractors or employees?
    laptop wrote: »
    I'm a recent grad working on contract.
    You'd have to be making a huge impact to productivity or the bottom line to be kept over employees -- contract employees are quickly and easily disposable.
    laptop wrote: »
    Is this a bad indication?
    No, it's pretty normal in contracting. The good managers usually give you an indication that the contract will not be renewed or will be ending early so that you can get your resume in order and start the hunt for your next gig. What sucks is when you have a bad manager/agency that leads you on so that you stay until the end of your contract or surprises you with the news the contract is ending.

    Keep doing the best job you can. Talk to your manager about getting a recommendation or using him as a reference. If you got the job through an agency, have you talked to them? If you haven't updated your resume, do it now and start getting it out there. And if you get any nibbles on your resume, you're looking for a new job because you're currently a contractor and have been given a "heads up" that there will be cutbacks in January.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    laptop wrote: »
    I'm a recent grad working on contract.

    I'm very efficient and productive at everything I do and I get along with all coworkers. Recently, one of our coworkers resigned and it caused a slight impact. So, the manager told us that some of us will have to leave/stay in Jan (due to limited budget). He kept reminding ONLY me to look for a job and asking me to try harder for find a job when other coworkers hear our conversation. He probably thinks that this job isn't for me because he probably assumes that I will be the next person resigning...The thing is that I'm one of the best employee in the department and everyone knows that! I might be overqualified in some way too. He doesn't tell my coworkers to look for a job though.

    I couldn't sleep properly for the entire week after my manager said that to me. He said it 3 times on different days for the past 2-3 weeks. This is getting me upset that he said it and my coworkers can hear everything from a small distance. I've been thinking about this situation every time I sit on a bus going home.

    Is this a bad indication?

    Be careful of going over your bosses head. In lots of cases a managers superior will simply back up your boss and send you away. He will then inform your boss that you told tales. A lot of companies do this to get respect for chain of command and to crush you. It leaves you crystal clear that you have nowhere to go in future but to your boss. In other cases this doesn't happen and the senior manager will get involved in some way but this can poison your relationship with your line manager. I have had this both ways in the past. One time a former supervisor who was an ass didn't respond to my requests to return installation media I required. In the end I spoke to the General Manager's PA about it and she had a word. The ex-boss personally returned it but had a go at me in the open plan office about doing that. It was a long time ago. I had colleagues support me at the time, they knew he was an assho1e. Thankfully I no longer reported to him so no harm was done. On the flip side a couple of years later I was supervising people for the first time and while away on a course my charges had been griping to my line manager. On my return he gave me a piece of his mind in the open plan office. Needless to say I gave as good as I got back, but I had the presence of mind not to be bitter about what had been said and to try and sort things out amicably with the youngsters I managed and try a bit harder in my relationships with them. I can't say I left them singing my praises, but things did get better with some conscious effort on my part. I was an inexperienced manager.

    But Im afraid not everyone is as fair minded as me.

    You could try discussing your feelings with someone in HR to see if they can help you in some way. Again be careful before doing so because HR may simply absolve themselves of any responsibility to help you keep your job and inform your boss that you were whining.

    If I have learned anything it is that you really need to confront the person you have an issue with. If you have these concerns you need to put your cards on the table with the manager. Don't do all the talking. Listen carefully and then take it from there. Last time I checked they can't drag you into the parking lot and kill you. Worse case is you lose your job but the right conversation can prevent this in somecases. Either way you will just feel better having cleared the air. You certainly shouldn't be going to work with this anxiety. The company has a duty of care.

    Just one final bit advice. In my experience if a company wants someone out they will find a reason to jettison them and often take the decision weeks in advance.
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    abefroman: thanks for your advice. i'm not planning to complain to the boss's boss about this situation as it is not really necessary. my performance is outstanding but the only reason why they wont extend my contract is because they are afraid that i will all of a sudden resign if i find a full time position elsewhere. but i will definately apply for full time positions because this is a contract-part-time job right now.

    mike412: all of us are contractors. he is a good/friendly manager. but the way he kept reminding ONLY me about looking for full time jobs elsewhere is strange. why ONLY me and not others? i know the department has limited budget...but why not keep someone like me who is overqualified temporary? ...

    Turgon: thanks for sharing your story.. but i have a few more weeks to wait and find out the real result. so, there is no reason for me to complain or whine. i rather have a decent relationship and obtain a reference (hopefully) for my future. The only reasons why they might want to get rid of me is because of:
    1. I'm overqualified and this job is not beneficial for me in the long run (no growth)
    2. I'm risky to keep (i'm a new graduate and they can't afford to have people resigning half way)
    3. My supervisor might have back-stabbed me. I usually communicate alot but recently i was silent/stayed quiet in the office so that my supervisor has nothing to report to the manager...
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    laptop wrote: »
    abefroman: thanks for your advice. i'm not planning to complain to the boss's boss about this situation as it is not really necessary. my performance is outstanding but the only reason why they wont extend my contract is because they are afraid that i will all of a sudden resign if i find a full time position elsewhere. but i will definately apply for full time positions because this is a contract-part-time job right now.

    mike412: all of us are contractors. he is a good/friendly manager. but the way he kept reminding ONLY me about looking for full time jobs elsewhere is strange. why ONLY me and not others? i know the department has limited budget...but why not keep someone like me who is overqualified temporary? ...

    Turgon: thanks for sharing your story.. but i have a few more weeks to wait and find out the real result. so, there is no reason for me to complain or whine. i rather have a decent relationship and obtain a reference (hopefully) for my future. The only reasons why they might want to get rid of me is because of:
    1. I'm overqualified and this job is not beneficial for me in the long run (no growth)
    2. I'm risky to keep (i'm a new graduate and they can't afford to have people resigning half way)
    3. My supervisor might have back-stabbed me. I usually communicate alot but recently i was silent/stayed quiet in the office so that my supervisor has nothing to report to the manager...

    You wouldn't be complaining or whining. These are just perceptions people can have if you go over a supervisors head and it can backfire. Then again if you feel you are not getting anywhere with your supervisor sometimes you have little choice. But I'm not sure this is necessary here. You are concerned about things. I think you should ask your supervisor if you can have a chat with him about your future. Simply explain that you would really like to stay there (assuming you do) but you are confused as to why he is advising you to look for a job elsewhere. He will explain his motives and you can take things from there.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Turgon wrote: »
    I think you should ask your supervisor if you can have a chat with him about your future. Simply explain that you would really like to stay there (assuming you do) but you are confused as to why he is advising you to look for a job elsewhere. He will explain his motives and you can take things from there.

    +1 for this, If as you say he's a friendly\good manager it maybe a case of last in first out or a case of he knows your over qualified and is trying to help you get prepared in case it is you.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • blargoeblargoe Self-Described Huguenot NC, USAMember Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    but the only reason why they wont extend my contract is because they are afraid that i will all of a sudden resign if i find a full time position elsewhere.

    Are you sure? Did they tell you that?

    If you're bothered about why only you are getting this feedback, ask the person giving you the feedback. If he's the good/friendly type who will give it to you straight, I don't see what the problem is. At least get it out in the open. Worst case, you already think your contract is over anyway... might as well find out if there's a reason that you're not seeing that you could improve upon for your next contract.
    IT guy since 12/00

    Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    blargoe wrote: »
    Are you sure? Did they tell you that?

    If you're bothered about why only you are getting this feedback, ask the person giving you the feedback. If he's the good/friendly type who will give it to you straight, I don't see what the problem is. At least get it out in the open. Worst case, you already think your contract is over anyway... might as well find out if there's a reason that you're not seeing that you could improve upon for your next contract.

    laidbackfreak: yeah you're right. it can go either way. he might be a good manager giving me hints that i have a better future. i'll know the result in 2-3 weeks.

    blargoe: the manager didn't tell me that. but, i think that is one of the reasons though. he knows that i'm a new graduate and i'm looking for full time opportunities than contract type of jobs. in addition, someone resigned last month because she found a new job with full time benefits and it made a big mess trying to look for a replacement. other workers in the office are much older than me (which the manager knows that they will stick around a bit longer).

    there is nothing for me to improve. i'm overqualified and my performance is like 200% effort put into this job. the only thing i disliked was the fact that the manager approached this situation by giving me an advice to look for full time opportunities in front of my coworkers (they all heard it).

    Thanks for all replies
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Alligator wrestler Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    laptop wrote: »
    Is this a bad indication?


    Nope, it's a great opportunity.

    Take it as an act of kindness and begin searching for something with his/her blessings. It's likely that he/she thinks you have more potential and the current positions available will only box you in.

    He/she'll likely provide you a great reference, so it would be a good time to look!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

    ***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

    'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    laptop wrote: »
    laidbackfreak: yeah you're right. it can go either way. he might be a good manager giving me hints that i have a better future. i'll know the result in 2-3 weeks.

    blargoe: the manager didn't tell me that. but, i think that is one of the reasons though. he knows that i'm a new graduate and i'm looking for full time opportunities than contract type of jobs. in addition, someone resigned last month because she found a new job with full time benefits and it made a big mess trying to look for a replacement. other workers in the office are much older than me (which the manager knows that they will stick around a bit longer).

    there is nothing for me to improve. i'm overqualified and my performance is like 200% effort put into this job. the only thing i disliked was the fact that the manager approached this situation by giving me an advice to look for full time opportunities in front of my coworkers (they all heard it).

    Thanks for all replies

    Sounds like it may well be time to move on anyway. Regardless it is still a wage and I think Plantwiz has a good point. Just have a quiet word with your gaffer about all your concerns. I'm sure that will be fine.
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    Turgon wrote: »
    Sounds like it may well be time to move on anyway. Regardless it is still a wage and I think Plantwiz has a good point. Just have a quiet word with your gaffer about all your concerns. I'm sure that will be fine.

    Hi Turgon,
    The day arrived and the manager finally told me that I won't be back. It's good in a way but I'm not really excited. I'm not shocked like my other coworker though. I think the decision was NOT based on 'performance'. It was based on 'who needed the job the most' in this recession period. They kept the people who have a family/kids and let go the younger people (including myself). Hopefully better opportunities will come in my way.

    I don't really have much experience in the real working world. Do you have any suggestions or advices before I leave this job? should I get a typed-out reference? or is asking the manager to be my reference good enough? Any important procedures I need to do before I exit? All I know is that once I leave it will be very very very hard to keep in touch with the manager/coworkers because the relationship will slowly fade away as each day move forward.

    Thanks
  • Laptop, keep your chin up. Not sure how much time you have left but this is a small world and do not burn any bridges. Many of us including me have been laid of due to the economy. Some of the the things I would recommend

    1. Keep doing your job to the best of your ability right up to the end (this will help with any references) and may open eyes to your character

    2. Talk to the managers about being a reference get their contact info.

    3. Start looking for you next opportunity it may take some time I interveiwed for my present job in April and got hired in August things are moving slowley

    4. Use current work associates to start networking - some may know of opportunites

    remember it is a small world and what goes around comes around. to give you an example In my new position I am a senior engineer, it is a brand new division within my company it consists of me and the sales director and we are hiring both engineers and sales. We have received applications from people that would not give us the time of day when we were interviewing so guess who moves to the bottom of the list

    GOOD LUCK
    Go EVERTON

    evertonfc-crest.gif
Sign In or Register to comment.