Options

CCNA Voice Lab (for the home)

Comments

• Options
    robertlukwago@yahoo.co.ukrobertlukwago@yahoo.co.uk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thx for this material, God bless you. my question is, what software did you use to design the network topology?

thnx for the reply in advance
  • Options
    robertlukwago@yahoo.co.ukrobertlukwago@yahoo.co.uk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    azaghul wrote: »
    Building a CCNA-Voice Lab

There are a lot of questions surrounding recommendations/suggestions for building a CCNA-Voice Lab. No, this won’t be a definitive guide, as there are many possible roads to travel and variations on a theme. But it might give you ideas for what is needed, what the course topology is, what could be added, and what is possible. This configuration is basically what I used, with the exception of the UC-500, to complete the course.

For those thinking of the CCVP track, I'll try to highlight what can be reused moving on.

Please treat this as a work in progress, and I hope some find it usefull. I’ll try to update it (and proof read it better) as time goes on.

For those wanting to build a CCNA-Voice Lab from GNS3, you'll need to look elsewhere, I personally prefer real "touchy", "feely" hardware where I can.

So you know where I'm coming from...
    Passed my CCNA in December 2007, passed my CCNA-Voice in June 2009. I’m currently studying towards my CCVP (almost completed CVoice) having come from a TDM PBX background and unfortunately am yet to put any of my investment in CCNA/CCNA-Voice knowledge to practical use, so I don't have all the answers. This is basically what I've learnt as I've muddled through it.

I’ve broken the Lab down into;
    • “Core”, what is essential
    • “Options”, what could be added or would be nice to have
    For all routers and switches, install as much flash/dram as is required (see Cisco Feature Navigator hxxp://www.cisco.com/go/cfn for details), and the more recent the IOS version and hardware platform the better. I’ll also indicate what equipment I used that worked well for me as a base-line.

See attachment for network topology.

“Core” Components

Switch-A
    • acts as a VTP server
    • would suggest 2950/3524 series or later hardware platform
    • I used a 3524
    Switch-B
    • acts as a VTP client
    • supplies access and voice VLANS to IP/Soft Phones
    • would support AutoQoS if possible
    • would suggest 2950/3524 series or later hardware platform and power bricks (CCNA-V), or
    • would suggest 3524-PWR/3550-PWR or later hardware platform (CCNA-V, CCVP)
    • I used a 3524-PWR (this needed some “hybrid” configuration to work, partly from the book, partly from investigation, no AutoQoS)
    DHCP Router
    • acts as a DHCP server (the name gives it away)
    • acts as a NTP server for down-stream devices
    • would suggest 262x/265x or later hardware platform (CCNA-V) with minimum IOS feature set of ipbase
    • would suggest 262x/265x XM series or later hardware platform (CCNA-V, CCVP) with minimum IOS feature set of ipvoice
    • I used a 2691 with adventerprisek9_ivs IOS 12.4T, CME 4.1, Unity Express (allows connection to my home network via fa0/1 and can be used as a gatekeeper for CCVP)
    CME Router A
    • acts as the CME voice gateway
    • should be able to take VIC cards natively, or via a NM voice module
    • needs FXO, FXS ports (CCNA-V), analogue phone(s) [handsfree makes it easier], DSP’s [type depending on router model]
    • optional Unity Express (CCNA-V), can get by without it
    • optional E1/T1 (CCNA-V, CCVP), can get by without it
    • would suggest a 1751/1760 or later hardware platform (CCNA-V) with minimum IOS feature set of ipvoice, as these support VICs natively, can be reused as branch site routers (CCVP)
    • would suggest IOS 12.4T or later
    • would suggest CME 4.1 or later
    • I used a 1760 with adventerprisek9 IOS 12.4T, CME 4.1, WIC-2T, VIC2-4FXO, VIC-4FXS/DID, VWIC-1MFT-E1, PVDM-256K-20
    • while the VG200 supports FXO / FXS / E&M / E1 / T1, it does not support CME. I'd put this into the same category as the MC3810, "a bit long in the tooth"
    Console PC
    I’ve provided an address for where the software is free, or freely available from Cisco with a guest CCO login (yes, you can get some things from Cisco for free). If the links don’t work, just use you’re favourite internet search engine.
    • T.F.T.P App:
      • T.F.T.Pd32 server
        • hxxp://t.f.t.pd32.jounin.net [take out the extra dots]
      • Solarwinds free T.F.T.P server
        • hxxp://www.solarwinds.com
    • Console App:
      • Putty
        • hxxp://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty
      • mRemote (Putty in a tabbed interface)
        • hxxp://www.mremote.org
      • vRD 2010 (Successor to mRemote, reverts to a limited mode after the 15 day trial, but still good enough for a home lab)
        • hxxp://www.visionapp.com
    • Syslog App:
      • Kiwi Syslog daemon (great for monitoring router/switch activity via SNMP once configured)
        • hxxp://www.solarwinds.com
    • Cisco IP Communicator
    • Optional:
      • Router Config App: (depending on router model)
        • Cisco Security and Device manager
          • hxxp://www.cisco.com/go/sdm
        • Cisco Configuration Professional
          • hxxp://www.cisco.com/go/ccp
      • Cisco Network Assistant (provides simple network management and topology view)
        • hxxp://www.cisco.com/go/cna
      • Cisco Packet Tracer (handy to have anywhere for simple IP testing, its quiet compared to routers)
      • Cisco CME Quick Configuration Tool (hard to find, but nice to have to see how CME configs are made)
    IP Phones
    • minimum 2 x 7940 series, and CIPC. If you are using a powered Switch B, make sure you know the difference between InLine Power (Cisco pre-standard) or PoE (IEEE 802.3af) [I didn't when I started, but was just lucky with my purchases]
    • I used 1 x 7940G, 2 x 7960G, 2 x 7912G, CIPC
    Other materials
    • CCNA Voice Exam Certification Guide
    • CCNA Voice CBT Nuggets
    • Exam Cram CCNA Voice (handy as an alternate source of information)
    • IP Telephony Using Callmanager Express Lab Portfolio
    • Access to Cisco’s site for documentation and another insight into command usage

8<

Option “A”

Unity Express

A moderately expensive item that you can probably get by without for the course and just rely on the Study Guide and the CBT. I always like to have hardware to play with so went hunting on eBay. Make sure if you do get one it comes with the CUE software installed. I took a punt and bought the lowest cost one I could find, that had had the HDD wiped. So had to go searching for the software, fortunately...

The study material indicated that there are 2 ways to re-install the software, but these make the assumption that software also pre-exists on the HDD. If you do buy a wiped one (and save money) there is a 3rd method found in the CUE installation docs which involved using the boot loader. Think of this as the CUE equivalent of a routers boot ROM. If you need this info, just PM me and I'll pass it on.

There are a few variants of CUE and depending on your router model will determine which one(s) could be right for you.

hxxp://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/compatibility/cuecomp.htm

8<

Option “B”

Home Network Connection

Not really required, but very handy for time synchronisation to an external NTP source, and saves doing a set clock on multiple devices. Public NTP servers can be found at;

hxxp://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers

It'll also be handy to know where to find these if you move on to CCVP. Don't be supprised if it takes 10 minutes or more for your devices to sync to the correct time, it bugged me for a while. If you're using a syslog server to capture all of your output instead of using the console, it's easier to have all your devices, both routers and switches synchronised to the same time source.

8<

Option “C”

Remote Site

To be able to test your VoIP dial-peers it's handy to have second site setup. This can be as simple or as complex as you like, I used a 1760 configured similar to the core site, but without any VIC's, running CIPC and connected via DTE-DCE cable. This allows you to make simple test calls in both directions.

8<

Option “D”

UC-500/520

OK, there's no easy way to say this, it's a big ticket item. Cheapest I've seen is about AU$3000 for the wireless model, without handsets.

On the plus side, it has almost everything for the SO/HO in one box, DHCP, PoE, FXO/FXS, CME/CUE.

It has it's own GUI and configuration manager;
    • Cisco Configuration Assistant
      • hxxp://www.cisco.com/go/cca
    When I did the exam, it was based on v1.8 (give or take) of CCA, CCA is now at v2.2.1 and has changed a lot. So it would be handy to know both.

For those that can't afford one of these to practice on (and I'm one), print out the screen shots of each tab of the interface and set yourself some scenarios (set up 2 phones, with voicemail, maybe a hunt group too). Unfortunately this won't give you the answers, but it will get you familiar with the interface.

8<

If there is interest out there, I'll set up a shared folder on 4shared with the Apps and any docs I can think might be usefull. With the moderators permission that is, I don't want to break any rules.

8<

General Info:

VIC's and second generation VIC2's are Voice Interface Cards supporting analogue connections for;
    • FXO (to the local telephone exchange)
    • FXS (to an analogue phone)
    • E&M (to a PBX)
    VWIC's and second generation VWIC2's are Voice/WAN Interface Card supporting digital connections for;
    • E1 services for either Voice or Data (The Real World icon_lol.gif)
    • T1 services for either Voice or Data (North America and a few other places)

8<

Changes:

15-Apr-2010: Added Option C (finally icon_lol.gif)
    20-Jan-2010: General Info section, and MC3810/VG200 info added
    15-Jan-2010: Added Options A and B
    28-Dec-2009: Relabeled options, updated network diagram, added UC-500 section, added mRemote to Apps
    21-Dec-2009: Initial draft

HI, Thx for this great posting, what did u use to design the network topology?
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ouch; this is starting to look expensive. I've the 2 2950 switches and a 2610XM router I just bought. A couple 2610's but not sure if they'll be at all useful here. Those 7940 IP phones look pricey too. Any suggestions on where it's possible to shave a bit off?
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    JollycorkJollycork Member Posts: 149
    vermovick:
    Ouch; this is starting to look expensive. I've the 2 2950 switches and a 2610XM router I just bought. A couple 2610's but not sure if they'll be at all useful here. Those 7940 IP phones look pricey too. Any suggestions on where it's possible to shave a bit off?

For testing, I use IP communicator [Softphone]. Softphones can do some of what a hardware phone can do as far as testing your dial plan, calling via PSTN or to other "sites" [another CME install across a serial link].
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi robert@uk,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've had really limited internet access these past 2 weeks. The network diagram was done with Visio, the Cisco symbols came from the Cisco web site. You'd need to do a search for exactly where.
  • Options
    lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    Wow is this fantastic or what??

I have yet to look into voice but I know there are so many components and one day knew I had to confront them.

This will really help me out and others.

For those studying this topic or completed it, would you say that it's the most "fun" topic out of the CCNA security, voice and wireless?

I haven't taken the exam yet but I like the material in the CCNAV a lot better than the CCNAS stuff.. I dunno why.. maybe cause I've never played with voice stuff before and it is quite exciting to get that first phone call going with a CME router and a couple of phones :) Plus JeremyC from CBT Nuggets gets you really pumped for this voice stuff!
  • Options
    dyollkramdyollkram Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

just a question, I bought 2811 router from ebay, I plan to play with voicemail, what do I need for this? I saw that there is an option for AIM-CUE and I saw one in ebay selling a cheap Cisco AIM-CUE-1GBCF 1GB Compact Flash. Do I only need the 1GBCF for me to practice voicemail in my 2811? How about the AIM card itself where the 1GBCF card will be placed? Does it already included in the 2811 by default? Or I need to buy it separately? I ask this because my 2811 is just on its way and this is my first time to have a cisco router,

thanks!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    dyollkram wrote: »
    Hi

just a question, I bought 2811 router from ebay, I plan to play with voicemail, what do I need for this? I saw that there is an option for AIM-CUE and I saw one in ebay selling a cheap Cisco AIM-CUE-1GBCF 1GB Compact Flash. Do I only need the 1GBCF for me to practice voicemail in my 2811? How about the AIM card itself where the 1GBCF card will be placed? Does it already included in the 2811 by default? Or I need to buy it separately? I ask this because my 2811 is just on its way and this is my first time to have a cisco router,

thanks!
    You only need to post once. I've answered your questions already in your other thread.
  • Options
    woischwoisch Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Azaghul,

short question, i`m a little bit confused. I have the following Hardware:

4x 2950 Switches
    1x 2970 Switch
    2x 2610 XM Router (First with WIC1T and a free slot and second with WIC1B S/T and WIC2T)
    1x 1721 Router with WIC1T
    1x 836 Router

1x CUCM 7

Do i need only some IP Phones (cisco 7940?) and FXO/FXSs (where could i buy thos cards and how many?)and than my CCNA-V/CCVP Lab is complete ? Which IOS should i use for the differnt routers ?
    With this hardware what lab would you create? First i want start with the exam 642-436 CVOICE and than go on with the other CCVP exams.

Looking forward to read from you.

Regards
    woisch
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You don't need FXO/FXS cards unless you want to

a. connect your lab to the telco
    b. connect a regular phone to your lab

7940's are a good phone choice, that's what I use.

Since you have a CUCM server, the IOS on your routers isn't a big factor. If you wanted to use a router to do CME, that's another story.

Switch config is what is important here, as is (obviously) your CUCM config.

Not sure if a 2970 has all the QoS features you need. I use a 3550.
  • Options
    Thanks Netwurk.
    So i thing for the beginning i do not need FXO/FXS cards.
    So the LAB equipment is adequate do you think?

Could you give me an example for a maybe LAB? I`m very new to this voice stuff.

And what do you think about CUCM and CME.... what is a real life scenario?
  • Options
    woisch wrote: »
    Thanks Netwurk.

Here's a good home lab example

CCVP: Building a Home Lab | NetworkWorld.com Community

In real life, most firms use CM or CUCM. CME is suitable for a small business.

Do you have a switch than can do PoE? If not, make sure you get AC adapters for your IP phones.

EDIT - As was mentioned earlier, you can also use Cisco IP Communicator on a PC instead of getting IP phones
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks Netwurk.

There are alot of blogs out there with introductory voice labs if you spend some time on google. CUCM is big business, and CME is small business. What I suggest to people is to learn the fundamentals with CME, as it is much easier to set up and get phones ringing in. I'm currently diving into the enterprise world of voice, and it is easy to overlook the little things you should know. CUCM can handle thousands of phones (30,000 per cluster, if I remember correctly), where CME caps at around 250 depending on your equipment.

If you want something you can sit down from scratch every day and lab with, go with CME. If you want a lab that you build up slowly peice by peice and have an amazing enterprise network at the end of a few days of work, go with CUCM.

Again to start with, I suggest CME, since it is easier to just sit down and figure stuff out from scratch. Much better for the learning process.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers.
    And which IOS should i take for CME?
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers.
    And which IOS should i take for CME?

For CME, I'm using an Advanced IP Services image on a 2691. There are also voice images if you are low on flash.
  • Options
    is 12.4 good or do i need 12.4T ? The advanced ip services with 12.4 needs 128 DRAM and 32Flash. Thats what i have.

12.4T needs more.

Whats the big difference between 12.4 and 12.4T ?
  • Options
    Read up here

Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4T Q&A [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 T] - Cisco Systems

They mention it has improved voice quality, but I wouldn't think that's a big deal in a lab. Of course, I'm not an expert on IOS releases - research the Cisco site for details.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Read up here

Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4T Q&A [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 T] - Cisco Systems

They mention it has improved voice quality, but I wouldn't think that's a big deal in a lab. Of course, I'm not an expert on IOS releases - research the Cisco site for details.

Agreed, I'm pretty sure I labbed up on 12.4T however you should try and configure some phones to ring and see if it works. If it does, no need to spend more money.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Agreed, I'm pretty sure I labbed up on 12.4T however you should try and configure some phones to ring and see if it works. If it does, no need to spend more money.

Is CME 3.2 suitable or do i need a newer one? Is it right that i could use only CME 3.2 on a 2610 XM ? I`m confused if i go through the Feature Navigator. ;)

CME 7 is only availabe on other routers right ?
  • Options
    Is CME 3.2 suitable or do i need a newer one? Is it right that i could use only CME 3.2 on a 2610 XM ? I`m confused if i go through the Feature Navigator. ;)

I used 3.2 for awhile, I forget what but there was something small that was annoying, but not impossible to work around. I ended up getting 4.1, I would recommend that if you can.

This might help: Cisco Unified CME and Cisco IOS Software Version Compatibility Matrix [Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express] - Cisco Systems
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    which router support 4.1 ? I cannot find a router which included CME 4.1
  • Options
    which router support 4.1 ? I cannot find a router which included CME 4.1

1760V my friend, the best $100 I have ever spent: eBay.com.sg: Cisco 1760-V CallManager Express CME 4.1 CCVP SDM 2.5 (item 350385805269 end time Aug 19, 2010 04:23:11 SGT)
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    strange. if i look in the feature navigator this image i found only this:

CallManager Express (CME) 3.0
    CallManager Express (CME) 3.1
    CallManager Express (CME) 3.2
    CallManager Express (CME) 4.0(1)
    CallManager Express 4.0(2)
    CallManager Express 4.0(3)

and not 4.1
  • Options
    strange. if i look in the feature navigator this image i found only this:

CallManager Express (CME) 3.0
    CallManager Express (CME) 3.1
    CallManager Express (CME) 3.2
    CallManager Express (CME) 4.0(1)
    CallManager Express 4.0(2)
    CallManager Express 4.0(3)

and not 4.1

I remember getting confused too:

ref: Cisco Unified CME and Cisco IOS Software Version Compatibility Matrix [Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express] - Cisco Systems
    12.4(15)T7 8
    4.1 - Recommended Version
    Cisco Unified CME 4.1 Specifications

ref: Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(15)T: Last Cisco IOS T Release for Select Cisco Hardware Platforms [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 T] - Cisco Systems
    Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(15)T will be the last Cisco IOS T release for several Cisco hardware platforms. The following platforms will be supported by Release 12.4(15)T via regularly scheduled software maintenance rebuilds and bug fix support until end of software maintenance date for the respective platform is reached, but no later than November of 2010.
    Cisco 1701, 1711, 1712, 1721, 1751, 1751-V, and 1760 Series

And on his ebay listing: eBay.com.sg: Cisco 1760-V CallManager Express CME 4.1 CCVP SDM 2.5 (item 350385805269 end time Aug 19, 2010 04:23:11 SGT)
    CME#sh ver
    Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-IPVOICEK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
    ___
    CME# sh telephony-service

CONFIG (Version=4.1(0))

=====================

Version 4.1(0)

That's all she wrote =)
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□

I'm pretty sure you can get 4.0 (at least) on your 2610XM. I had 4.1 I believe on mine... only time I used the 3.x was on a 3745 at work with an old IOS image. My home lab I had at least 4.0. I'll have to check it out and post back!!!! HTH.

-Peanut

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a third page to the thread! icon_lol.gif
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    What version of CME you have is totally dependent on your IOS version.

If you already have a router and want to check what CME version you have, use the show telephony-service all command

Router#sh telephony-service all
    CONFIG (Version=4.1(0))
    =====================
    Version 4.1(0)
    Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure you can get 4.0 (at least) on your 2610XM. I had 4.1 I believe on mine... only time I used the 3.x was on a 3745 at work with an old IOS image. My home lab I had at least 4.0. I'll have to check it out and post back!!!! HTH.

-Peanut

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a third page to the thread! icon_lol.gif

Have you had a look for your IOS on the 2610XM? How much DRAM do you have in your Router?
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you had a look for your IOS on the 2610XM? How much DRAM do you have in your Router?

Just looked... a few differences. I have a 2611XM (2FE ports). I'm running an Advance Enterprise 12.4(15) IOS. The CME version running on that router is 4.1. Let me know if you need any additional information. HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    ok thanks. I will try to get the image. In a 261x XM Router, is there normal SDRAM? So maybe i buy 256 SDRAM and try this in the router? What do you think?

Update: Ok, i have seen its 100-pin DIMM Module ( http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2600/hardware/installation/notes/2600mem.html ) so not normal 168-pin in 261x XM.

OFF-TOPIC:
    could i contact you by email? I have another question. ;)
  • Options
    Hmm i have no this IOS on my router c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-18.bin

But if i perform "sh telephony-service all" i see CME 3.3:

R1#sh telephony-service all
    CONFIG (Version=3.3)
    =====================
    Version 3.3
    Cisco CallManager Express
    For on-line documentation please see:
    Cisco CallManager Express and Cisco IOS Telephony

@Peanut
    you have an older IOS and CME 4.1 how could i install CME 4.1 ?